IMDb > The Stalking of Laurie Show (2000) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Stalking of Laurie Show (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Must protect Jennifer!

Author: StevenPlaymountain from Belgium
4 June 2005

Mostly whenever there's a TV-movie on television, I turn it off, or switch the channel. I didn't with this one. I guess it was Jennifer Finnigans strangely attractive pale sweetness that kept me watching this flic. This movie was a bit over the top at times, but still, it moved me a great deal. I couldn't help myself, all the time I was yelling in my thoughts:'for crying out loud, somebody help this girl!' But no one helps her, and constantly having to watch this injustice is excruciating. I don't know much about real high school life in the USA, but the struggle for fitting in certainly is universal. Be hip or be square. Be popular or die, would be the tag line in this movie. The heroine is just so sweet and innocent and you don't want anything to happen to her, and you think nothing will, just because she is ... sweet and innocent. Maybe the flash forwards at the beginning were just nightmares of Lauries mother, or one of her friends? But no sirree bob, she dies. Just like that. Lauries mother says something which sums it up: 'There are no laws to control sick people'. Constantly you're scared of this Michelle character, and at the end you're just deeply saddened and angered by her deeds (the beautiful 'amazing grace' which plays in the background can't possibly heal the wounds). There's no room for positive emotions or a fairy tale-ending in this movie, and strange enough, exactly this was what I liked and didn't like about it. Hard to believe this movie is based on facts. What a world... The last time I felt so shocked about the injustice done to an innocent person was while watching 'dancer in the dark' with Bjork. Be warned: watching this movie will make you depressed. And probably, when you go to sleep, and close your eyes, you'll see Jennifer Finnigan, and you'll think: Why? Why? Luckily Jennifer is alive and well, which can't be said of the real Laurie, poor thing.

Excellent

Author: kelaz_fisha from Australia
12 December 2005

I thought this movie was excellent. It portrays the real side to life for a teenager, and is very relevant to todays society.

Although there are frequent movies on this same subject, i believe this shows outstanding characters and fights to make this movie into a reality for the viewer.

The end of this story shocked me, although i knew it was going to happen, it was a huge awakening. I only hope that nothing like this happens in my life or to people surrounding me.

I give the movie 10 out of 10 for one main reason. It seemed real. There was none of that bull that other movies bung on about it was straightforward and realistic. It was interesting all the way through and it taught me a lot about the kind of people i should be associating with.

Wow!

Author: Jacob Stepaschko (Jake-46) from Oslo, Norway
2 January 2003

This is a kind of movie I've seen several times before. The movie starts with one of the final scenes, and you are about 95% sure what will eventually happen to Laurie. But I really enjoyed it. Mostly because of Marne Patterson as Michelle. She was *awful*. She was so bad. One of the worst female characters I have ever seen on TV. And she did it extremely well. At least *I* was convinced she was the psycho she turned out to be.

Read that someone said that *too much* was changed from the original story. Too bad. Still worth watching though, indeed...

This movie is based on a true story.

Author: Stiebernator007 from Lancaster, PA
1 March 2006

I am from Lancaster County. I live less than ten miles from where this story took place. I thought it was well done. They got the facts right, facts that I remember reading in the newspaper at the time. I work with a woman who went to school with both Laurie Show and Lisa Michelle Lambert. This town still has strong emotions about this story. I hope that telling this horrific story will educate people about how real and dangerous stalking can become. I hope that people will realize that bad things can happen anywhere even is a small tight knit community like Lancaster. I hope that this story will allow people to see how dangerous teenage feuds can become.

Based on one of the first stalking cases in the US

Author: iaeinekind from United States
17 November 2005

I think what makes this movie unique is that it is historical fiction. It actually tries to tell the story of Laurie Show, one of the first victims of a stalker in Pennsylvannia, and one of the reasons why laws such as The Violence Against Women Act were made against stalkers in the early 90s.

I think the director made less of an attempt to tell a good story and more of an attempt to tell THE story. It's interesting in and of itself, that Laurie was killed by another teenage girl, since most violence against women in the United States is committed by current or former boyfriends/husbands.

I am glad that the USA Network makes movies like these about real people.

When are they going to release this one on tape?

Author: badsharkmovie from Somewhere in Time
19 June 2002

*****SPOILERS AHOY!*****

Great TV movie. Very affective; I was depressed for days afterwards. This movie gave viewers a great reality check, letting everyone know that, no matter how much you want it, the hero/heroine CAN die in the end, even if they didn't deserve it. And knowing that this is a true story, not just some fictionalization with made-up characters, makes it even more depressing. Jennifer Finnagen is very good as the doomed Laurie, Marne Patterson plays an awesome psycho, and the rest of the supporting cast was also very good.

What really gets me, however, is how they can release the "Cabin by the Lake" series on DVD and VHS, the first being a movie i couldn't even make it all the way through, but not this movie! Please, I'm begging you USA Network, release this on video, even if it is just a crappy VHS in EP mode! PLEASE!

The Stalking of Laurie Show

Author: char from Sydney, Australia
7 June 2003

This true story is a modern, moving masterpiece. We see the life of Laurie Show (the delightful Jennifer Finnigan) get turned into a one way street to hell when she mixes with the 'popular crowd' only to find them to be deluded and physcotic.

The acting and writing is superb and the film maintains a believable, camp appeal,0 although sometimes it borders a non-realistic horror film.

Movie of the week quality

Author: SnoopyStyle
1 March 2014

Based on a true story, popular and volatile Michelle Lambert (Marnette Patterson) befriends shy Laurie Show (Jennifer Finnigan). One night, Michelle's boyfriend Butch Yunkin (Rel Hunt) rapes Laurie. Michelle is pregnant by Butch and starts harassing Laurie.

Marnette is good as a jealous psychopath. Jennifer Finnigan is good at playing fragile girls, but she's too mature for the part. She needs to be younger and weaker. She really needs to play up the victim role.

The other problem is the quality of the production. This is strictly movie of the week quality. The directions and the style have nothing behind it. The best thing in the movie are the two harrowing performances, but it just couldn't elevate the movie from its melodramatic roots.

Very disturbing - poor Laurie!

Author: catherinekeohane from United Kingdom
4 April 2007

This does contain spoilers: I've just finished watching this film on Sky and am greatly disturbed by it all. I don't think I've ever seen a female character portraying such evil tendencies before! Michelle is the ultimate evil murderess, totally deranged and obsessive. Laurie is sweet and easily manipulated, badly let down by many people, the police including. It's disturbing to think that someone like Michelle could have such a strong hold upon people that they'd be afraid to come forward and prevent this terrible crime happening.

I've read various comments regarding the "true story" of Laurie's murder here, some claim that the facts are wrong. Well we all know that certain things are changed in order for the film to be shown. Some names changed, or incidents for instance.

So is the real story of Laurie even more disturbing I wonder, or do people have sympathy for Michelle who is certainly sick in the head.

Michelle apparently gave permission for Laurie to go off with her boyfriend, or rather "ex" boyfriend and then Laurie, inexperienced, gets herself raped by Michelle's ex. Michelle catches them and declares he did the same thing to her. What did she mean by this? That they made love in the barn or that he raped her as well? Whatever, she takes him back and so begins the terror for Laurie.

I wondered whether if the rape had been reported things wouldn't have gotten so far.

And it's a shame that there's not people brave enough to stand up against people like Michelle.

I kept hoping that Laurie wouldn't get killed, but of course she did.

I was a trifle disappointed not to learn what sentences were passed to the others involved in this terrible crime.

Very disturbing. Excellent acting all round.

It was good, but they shouldn't have done it

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
12 February 2004

Now, there are thousands of murders a year. And very violent ones. And this was a brutal murder, but my question is. Why would the mother of Laurie Show let them do a movie about her daughter's death? And of course I'm sure that they embellished a bit with the story. But it seemed pointless to me.

The movie is good. The actors did a good job. It's just the concept of the story that bugs me.