IMDb > For the Birds (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Words fail me

Author: Christian Jahnsen from Hillerød, Denmark
13 February 2002

Shown before Monsters Inc., this short was arguably the most fun-filled five minutes of my entire life! Monsters Inc. was a great great great film, fantastic in all aspects (10/10), and yet, "For the birds" was the biggest impression of the lot, when you left the theatre. At times, I caught myself thinking: "Would you please hold the jokes for just a minute!! I need to catch my breath here!!!!!!!!". It really was THAT hilarious.

I've always been a HUGE admirer of Pixar, and have seen all their shorts and real films (Tin Toy, Nick Nack, Geri's Game, Toy Story 1 and 2 to name but a few), but "For the birds" is their finest hour as of yet!! Their humour is just so indescribably good!! For everybody who likes justice, animals and most of all, to laugh, this is for you! I can't imagine who would think this isn't humour at its very best!

Thank you, Pixar! 10/10 is simply too little for your latest short, but the scale doesn't go any higher. It is at times like when I saw "For the birds" that I wish my life had a rewind button, so that I could experience this for the first time over and over again.

Yes, yes, it's all true!

Author: Michael DeZubiria (wppispam2013@gmail.com) from Luoyang, China
26 March 2002

For The Birds is the side-splittingly hilarious short animated film that preceded the rather unimpressive Monsters, Inc, and all this hype that you may have read about For The Birds in the comments index here on the IMDb is pretty accurate, with the exception of the occasional grump who calls it forgettable or just amusing or some other such nonsense. Pixar is becoming more and more famous for the hilarity of their films (especially the short ones, if only because they are virtually uniformly hilarious), and For The Birds is definitely no exception.

What you have here is a story that is about as simple as they come - a bunch of tiny egg-shaped birds on a telephone wire who are approached by a big goofy bird, and they are all contemptuous toward her and do everything they can to get rid of her. It's the conspiracy that these little birds come up with to get rid of this ostrich-looking bird (yes, I know it's not an ostrich, by the way) and the fact that Pixar is able to communicate it to the audience without a single piece of dialogue other than these hilarious cheeps and grunts that the birds make that makes the film so impressive and funny and, yes, MEMORABLE. The Academy Award that For The Birds won for Best Animated Short Film for 2001 was even less of a surprise than the one that Shrek won for Best Animated feature! It was a given!

For The Birds is not the kind of short film that you watch before a rather short animated film and serves no other purpose than to make you feel like you got your money's worth because the feature film is rather short. This is not just something to keep you in your seats for a little longer (how much of a difference would three minutes really make in that case?), this is something that Pixar throws into the mix because they're so good at what they do that they can deliver pure entertainment even with such a short film. The old Roger Rabbit short films are the kind that are mildly amusing on a more childish level and that can be forgotten rather quickly, but For The Birds is something else entirely. Like all the Pixar shorts - not the least of which is Geri's Game (which should not be confused with Gerald's Game, which is a strikingly different story!), one of my personal favorites - For The Birds is the kind of short film that you enjoy for only a few minutes but remember for years. My only hope is that Pixar will someday come out with a special DVD just for all of their short films. Bravo!

Wonderful

Author: DanB-4 from Canada
25 March 2002

To appreciate a small miracle like For the Birds, see it with children. Observe them as they watch, understand, empathize and laugh out loud to a quirky short with no dialogue. When a director can combine a visually joyful piece that is poignant as well as entertaining to anyone of any age, an Oscar is deserved. For the Birds ranks with its Oscar Winning predecessor Geri's Game as a tiny slice of genius. Bravo. let's hope it ends up on the Monster's Inc DVD. **** out of ****.

three minutes of bliss

Author: mr underperson from Scotland
23 January 2005

Okay an hour, if like me you watch it twenty times, and then watch it again. I recommend copying it from the DVD onto your hard drive, keep it handy.

"For The Birds" is another slick, colourful vignette from the wonderful Pixar animation studio, a delightful moral tale, and simply essential viewing for anyone following their remarkable output.

A masterwork of lightening fast character sketching and feathery CGI texture work, comic at every turn, and still laugh-out-loud funny after two dozen viewings or more. Watch out, most of the best action happens at the left hand side.

The sort of thing you could imagine some Pixar genius tossing off over lunch-break, just for fun, except it probably took months to create and weeks to render. But sure worth every single CPU cycle.

Will get a belly-laugh even from problem children.

-mu

Probably the funniest short film ever

Author: nucksfan4life from USA
23 September 2002

"For the Birds" has so much funny packed into its miniscule running time. The birds portrayed are easily the funniest looking birds I have ever seen. Their mannerisms are perfectly hilarious. The way they act as a flock all mimicking each other is great. I loved when they teased the bigger goofier looking bird. I think it is safe to say that "For the Birds" is the funniest short film ever made.

Terrific

Author: Phil Karn from San Diego, California
23 May 2003

I've watched this short a dozen times, and I still laugh out loud at the main gag. This film is comic perfection.

Remember how the Coyote in the Road Runner cartoons always looks plaintively at the camera whenever he makes a mistake, the pupils of his eyes narrowing just before he falls off the cliff, the boulder crushes him, or the dynamite explodes in his face?

That was the kind of touch that made those old cartoons great. And it is clear from this film that the spirits of Chuck Jones, Tex Avery and the other classic animators are alive and well at Pixar.

Tex Avery would be proud!

Author: Robert Reynolds (minniemato@hotmail.com) from Tucson AZ
24 January 2003

This is one of the funniest shorts I've ever seen! Lots of things popped into my head while watching this: it's an example of instant karmic payback, for one, an equally solid example of the law of unintended consequences as well. This has got to have one of the top five closing sight gags of all time! Tex Avery would have probably loved this one! I for one hope that Pixar continues to do shorts of one stripe or another, because the ones I've seen are fabulously done. I haven't even watched Monsters Inc. yet and consider the DVD worth the price of admission just to see For the Birds. The rest is icing on the cake. Excellent piece of work and well worth watching. Most highly recommended!

Yeah, It's Cute & Clever But Also Over-Praised

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
27 June 2007

This three-minute cartoon won an Oscar for Best Animated Short For 2000. It also won numerous other awards. It can be seen as a feature on the "Monsters, Inc.," DVD.

I agree with reviewer "Jack The Ripper 1888" that it was enjoyable and pretty good....but what's all the fuss about? To me, it was "cute" and the animation was terrific, but Pixar's animation is always top-of-the-line, so there was no surprise there.

The story is simple: little birds make fun of big, dumb-looking bird who gets the last laugh when the little ones' nastiness goes too far. I guess the fun in here wasn't the one joke, which you could see coming, but the little things that led up to it. I enjoyed the noises the little birds made, the music in this animated short and the facial expressions, of course.

It's cute, it's clever but it's no big deal.....sorry. I enjoyed the other cartoon in this DVD, "Mike's New Car," more than this one, although both were fun to watch.

Ah this is just genius!!

Author: highkite from Canada
3 August 2006

I love it when little cartoons like these win an Oscar. There are so many variety of little animated shorts, some that are really innovative and some that are very deep, but some just deserve the win for being so fun. For three whole minutes, this little film has you in hysterics. From the amazing sound effects that the birds make, to the incredibly genius ending, it's fun to keep watching this just for kicks.

It's about a couple of little snobby birds who fly onto a telephone wire and start hilariously chirping at each other. They suddenly hear a loud scream and they look over to see a funny looking big bird who wants to join in. The bird comes over and stands with them, pulling the wire down. The bird flips and holds on with one leg and the snobby birds start playing a game of "this little piggy..." They look down and as they're taking off the last finger, they notice that the telephone wire is at ground level and that the big bird will surely just fall an inch and they will get shot up. In a hilarious ending, the bird falls and the snobby birds fly up, losing all of their feathers.

This is an animated short that everyone can enjoy. It's not exactly targeted to children, nor is it targeted towards animated short buffs. It's something fun to watch before starting a good movie, or something hilarious to see when you're down. It always puts a smile on your face.

"For the Birds" is definitely an animated short that focuses more on the humor aspect, rather than the animation and story. The real fun comes when watching it with different people, knowing you'll all hysterically laugh once that bird falls and the snobby birds fly up. Definitely worth at least one viewing for pure entertainment! 9/10

short and sweet

Author: Chris Foo from Singapore
19 April 2005

Ever felt like the new kid in class?

Pixar's animated short "For the birds" expresses just that feeling - and in an utterly hilarious and entertaining way.

The story starts off with a group of birds sitting on a wire. Along comes this "Big bird" like creature who is (oh so) eager to join in - to the displeasure of members of the group because he simply does not fit in. They plot to get rid of him, but get their just deserts in the end.

This is a simple story and one that has been re-hashed many times. Yet, one has to marvel at the attention to detail the story tellers at Pixar have put in. According to the Pixar website (www.pixar.com), each of the birds on the wire were given a name and a personality (eg. Chipper, Bully, Snob and Neurotic). Pay attention to how these differences are expressed in each bird. It's no wonder this little film won the Oscar for best animated short in 2001.

Ralph Eggleston, a veteran of such hit animated films as Finding Nemo and Toy Story, directs this short - which was first shown as an appetizer for the movie "Monster's Inc". Eggleston started out his career as an animator and gradually moved up to director, a path much unlike other directors who start out in film or TV. So perhaps it's with this film that he shows that it isn't so bad to be the odd one out amongst one's peers after all.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]