IMDb > For the Birds (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Words fail me

Author: Christian Jahnsen from Hillerød, Denmark
13 February 2002

Shown before Monsters Inc., this short was arguably the most fun-filled five minutes of my entire life! Monsters Inc. was a great great great film, fantastic in all aspects (10/10), and yet, "For the birds" was the biggest impression of the lot, when you left the theatre. At times, I caught myself thinking: "Would you please hold the jokes for just a minute!! I need to catch my breath here!!!!!!!!". It really was THAT hilarious.

I've always been a HUGE admirer of Pixar, and have seen all their shorts and real films (Tin Toy, Nick Nack, Geri's Game, Toy Story 1 and 2 to name but a few), but "For the birds" is their finest hour as of yet!! Their humour is just so indescribably good!! For everybody who likes justice, animals and most of all, to laugh, this is for you! I can't imagine who would think this isn't humour at its very best!

Thank you, Pixar! 10/10 is simply too little for your latest short, but the scale doesn't go any higher. It is at times like when I saw "For the birds" that I wish my life had a rewind button, so that I could experience this for the first time over and over again.

Yes, yes, it's all true!

Author: Michael DeZubiria (wppispam2013@gmail.com) from Luoyang, China
26 March 2002

For The Birds is the side-splittingly hilarious short animated film that preceded the rather unimpressive Monsters, Inc, and all this hype that you may have read about For The Birds in the comments index here on the IMDb is pretty accurate, with the exception of the occasional grump who calls it forgettable or just amusing or some other such nonsense. Pixar is becoming more and more famous for the hilarity of their films (especially the short ones, if only because they are virtually uniformly hilarious), and For The Birds is definitely no exception.

What you have here is a story that is about as simple as they come - a bunch of tiny egg-shaped birds on a telephone wire who are approached by a big goofy bird, and they are all contemptuous toward her and do everything they can to get rid of her. It's the conspiracy that these little birds come up with to get rid of this ostrich-looking bird (yes, I know it's not an ostrich, by the way) and the fact that Pixar is able to communicate it to the audience without a single piece of dialogue other than these hilarious cheeps and grunts that the birds make that makes the film so impressive and funny and, yes, MEMORABLE. The Academy Award that For The Birds won for Best Animated Short Film for 2001 was even less of a surprise than the one that Shrek won for Best Animated feature! It was a given!

For The Birds is not the kind of short film that you watch before a rather short animated film and serves no other purpose than to make you feel like you got your money's worth because the feature film is rather short. This is not just something to keep you in your seats for a little longer (how much of a difference would three minutes really make in that case?), this is something that Pixar throws into the mix because they're so good at what they do that they can deliver pure entertainment even with such a short film. The old Roger Rabbit short films are the kind that are mildly amusing on a more childish level and that can be forgotten rather quickly, but For The Birds is something else entirely. Like all the Pixar shorts - not the least of which is Geri's Game (which should not be confused with Gerald's Game, which is a strikingly different story!), one of my personal favorites - For The Birds is the kind of short film that you enjoy for only a few minutes but remember for years. My only hope is that Pixar will someday come out with a special DVD just for all of their short films. Bravo!

three minutes of bliss

Author: mr underperson from Scotland
23 January 2005

Okay an hour, if like me you watch it twenty times, and then watch it again. I recommend copying it from the DVD onto your hard drive, keep it handy.

"For The Birds" is another slick, colourful vignette from the wonderful Pixar animation studio, a delightful moral tale, and simply essential viewing for anyone following their remarkable output.

A masterwork of lightening fast character sketching and feathery CGI texture work, comic at every turn, and still laugh-out-loud funny after two dozen viewings or more. Watch out, most of the best action happens at the left hand side.

The sort of thing you could imagine some Pixar genius tossing off over lunch-break, just for fun, except it probably took months to create and weeks to render. But sure worth every single CPU cycle.

Will get a belly-laugh even from problem children.

-mu

Wonderful

Author: DanB-4 from Canada
25 March 2002

To appreciate a small miracle like For the Birds, see it with children. Observe them as they watch, understand, empathize and laugh out loud to a quirky short with no dialogue. When a director can combine a visually joyful piece that is poignant as well as entertaining to anyone of any age, an Oscar is deserved. For the Birds ranks with its Oscar Winning predecessor Geri's Game as a tiny slice of genius. Bravo. let's hope it ends up on the Monster's Inc DVD. **** out of ****.

Probably the funniest short film ever

Author: nucksfan4life from USA
23 September 2002

"For the Birds" has so much funny packed into its miniscule running time. The birds portrayed are easily the funniest looking birds I have ever seen. Their mannerisms are perfectly hilarious. The way they act as a flock all mimicking each other is great. I loved when they teased the bigger goofier looking bird. I think it is safe to say that "For the Birds" is the funniest short film ever made.

Terrific

Author: Phil Karn from San Diego, California
23 May 2003

I've watched this short a dozen times, and I still laugh out loud at the main gag. This film is comic perfection.

Remember how the Coyote in the Road Runner cartoons always looks plaintively at the camera whenever he makes a mistake, the pupils of his eyes narrowing just before he falls off the cliff, the boulder crushes him, or the dynamite explodes in his face?

That was the kind of touch that made those old cartoons great. And it is clear from this film that the spirits of Chuck Jones, Tex Avery and the other classic animators are alive and well at Pixar.

I wonder if the little guys hate Pixar?

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
8 February 2008

This is a wacky little short that is about one big and dumb bird and his dealings with lots of mean little birds. The big guy just wants to be friends, but the nasty little guys want him to go away and don't care what they have to do to make it happen--leading to a very funny conclusion where the little jerks get theirs!

Think about it...for the category of Best Animated Short Film for the Oscars for 2002, you have several independent productions made on shoestring budgets...and this WHOPPING production made by the pioneering geniuses at Pixar Films! It's a definite case of "David versus Goliath", though in this case Goliath definitely wins! Pixar couldn't help but win--the graphics were, as usual, superb, the writing was spot on and brilliant and it was just so gosh-darn cute and entertaining. So for the "little guys", it's definitely a huge struggle to beat such a great combination. This film definitely earned the award, but you gotta wonder how tough it must feel to be one of these other filmmakers. Perhaps, in an odd way, this film might be a metaphor about this struggle.

Yeah, It's Cute & Clever But Also Over-Praised

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
27 June 2007

This three-minute cartoon won an Oscar for Best Animated Short For 2000. It also won numerous other awards. It can be seen as a feature on the "Monsters, Inc.," DVD.

I agree with reviewer "Jack The Ripper 1888" that it was enjoyable and pretty good....but what's all the fuss about? To me, it was "cute" and the animation was terrific, but Pixar's animation is always top-of-the-line, so there was no surprise there.

The story is simple: little birds make fun of big, dumb-looking bird who gets the last laugh when the little ones' nastiness goes too far. I guess the fun in here wasn't the one joke, which you could see coming, but the little things that led up to it. I enjoyed the noises the little birds made, the music in this animated short and the facial expressions, of course.

It's cute, it's clever but it's no big deal.....sorry. I enjoyed the other cartoon in this DVD, "Mike's New Car," more than this one, although both were fun to watch.

short and sweet

Author: Chris Foo from Singapore
19 April 2005

Ever felt like the new kid in class?

Pixar's animated short "For the birds" expresses just that feeling - and in an utterly hilarious and entertaining way.

The story starts off with a group of birds sitting on a wire. Along comes this "Big bird" like creature who is (oh so) eager to join in - to the displeasure of members of the group because he simply does not fit in. They plot to get rid of him, but get their just deserts in the end.

This is a simple story and one that has been re-hashed many times. Yet, one has to marvel at the attention to detail the story tellers at Pixar have put in. According to the Pixar website (www.pixar.com), each of the birds on the wire were given a name and a personality (eg. Chipper, Bully, Snob and Neurotic). Pay attention to how these differences are expressed in each bird. It's no wonder this little film won the Oscar for best animated short in 2001.

Ralph Eggleston, a veteran of such hit animated films as Finding Nemo and Toy Story, directs this short - which was first shown as an appetizer for the movie "Monster's Inc". Eggleston started out his career as an animator and gradually moved up to director, a path much unlike other directors who start out in film or TV. So perhaps it's with this film that he shows that it isn't so bad to be the odd one out amongst one's peers after all.

Might not be hilarious, but was still amazing

Author: olyfreak-1 from Indiana
29 August 2003

I saw For the Birds when I first saw Monsters, Inc. in the theater. It was alright, but I don't think that the humor was the best part of it. For me, the complexity of the animation was what I enjoyed the most. The incredible detail of each individual feather had to (and did) take years to perfect. If you can look past the attempts to be funny, For the Birds was an excellent example of computer animation, and it deserved to win an Oscar for Best Short Animated Film.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]