IMDb > "Soul Food" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Soul Food"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Soul Food" More at IMDbPro »

Is it just me?

Author: Nikki X (generalnikkix@hotmail.com) from United States
12 March 2005

Is it just me or is there ANYBODY ELSE IN THIS WORLD waiting for Soul Food:The Complete SECOND Season??? I really loved the boxed DVD set of the first season(for which I paid $80.00 only now to find out it can be purchased for $39.99) But my God Showtime what in the hell are you waiting for? The OC, Buffy, Starsky & Hutch, Wonder Woman and the likes even that silly show The L word (another Showtime Original) can have there seasons come out back to back BUT a Black Drama like Soul Food has to wait damn near 3 years between "seasons"??? What's the real deal? Feedback from fellow Soul Food Lovers are 100% welcomed. I'm tired of searching through google & different media store outlets, just to hear those dreaded words..."It's not out yet". Now that I've watched the first season, I would like to follow-up with the 2nd season. I watched most of the episodes on Showtime but missed quite a few. Damon and his ex-girlfriend, Kenny with his secretary and etc. Fellow Soul Food Lovers please let me feel your pain so I know I'm not alone.

Representing black families the way they should!

Author: Firetears_X from United States
17 September 2005

Seriously, I read all the user comments for this show and I have to say, the only people who think this show is anything below average or average overall, then they must be blind and deaf.

The real beauty of this show is how well they capture the lives of black people. It isn't scared to cross that extra mile, especially when it comes to stories revolving around sex. This is a black drama that people can look without always depending on a black issue. There are stories that everyone can relate to and not just those raised in a bad neighborhood. This show deals with racial issues, sexist issues, dealing with deaths, marriage issues, affairs, and the biggest issue they ever dealt with, lesbian relationship.

The males in this story are black males who actually have their head on their shoulders and run pretty decent businesses without making a living off selling drugs and spend their time smoking weed and drinking while ignoring their desperate child who stands around the father begging for attention.

The children in this movie aren't ghetto fabulous and all out cursing their parents out then run away to their girlfriend's house to sleep with her. The children actually act like children who are growing up under the pressures that all kids go though of all skin.

With the story's revolving around the characters, nothing never feels out of line. Everything seems nicely done and just leaves us asking for more. My biggest beef is that BET is labeling the series under M but cutting up anything that'll give the episodes a PG rating. I wish Showtime would start airing the episodes again or they'll find another channel that doesn't harm the episodes.

I am pleased to see a show about African-Americans without violence.

Author: Wayne Huffman (wayne@huffman.com) from Honolulu, Hawaii
26 November 2001

After seeing dozens of movies like "First Time Felon" "Oz" and "The Corner", I was thrilled to see a show that portrays black people as something other than drug dealers and victims of gun violence. As a white guy living in Honolulu, I don't have much contact with the black community. The media gives a slanted view of every subculture, so I know there are people who don't live in South Central. I wish there were a more balanced view, but that doesn't sell movies. Off of my soapbox now, I thought the production values were excellent, and I look forward to seeing future episodes.

Good Show

Author: actionmoviestar from United States
5 September 2005

For a while, there has been a new wave of television show. This show required, what one would say, a "continuation" of a character or particular character's lives. This show required a great call to authority and possibly had the hardest task of living up to it's predecessor's status. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, it's the sudden trend of television shows based off movies that are starting to sweep the television airwaves currently. If you've already guessed it, "Soul Food" now falls into this category.

Receiving positive reviews and doing pretty good at the box office, "Soul Food," the 1997 film starring a cast of rising A-list actors & actresses struck a chord with audiences, most notably the African-American audience and helped redefine the black family film. Since, this film was a hit on all levels, what would one expect next? You've guessed it, turn it into a weekly television series. I must say that I feel that the television show is much better than the film. Not that the film was bad or anything, it's just that the television show allows the audience to sympathize and grow with the characters over a period of time. Here we are, each week for one hour, we get to tap into the Joeseph sisters lives and realize that they are more than one-dimensional characters. With the film version, we only got 2 hours to really tap into the lives of the Joseph sisters, but with the series we're given a chance to see how they have evolved as characters.

They're are many positive things about this show. For one, I think that this show presents African Americans, especially men, in a positive light. Here, the male characters are not deadbeat dads, drunkards or living their life from check to check. Another plus, is that I think this show has very good acting. Perhaps I think my favorite actor on this show is Rockmund Dunbar(Kenny Chadway) but I'm surprised they didn't cast a much taller actor to play his character. Let's don't forget Nicole Ari Parker and her believable portrayal of Teri Joseph, the leader and the most successful out of the Joseph Sisters.

It's funny because I didn't start watching this show until a couple of months after it was taken off the air, but I try to watch it every night it comes on BET. My word of advice is don't watch it on BET because they cut out all the good parts(oh God, the humanity) so it is better to watch it on Showtime, edited free. This is a good show and I recommend it.

FAB-U-LOUS!!!

Author: igothisheart from Richmond, CA
17 March 2003

Soul Food is a venue for White America to see into the lives and loves of many African-American families, to introduce them to some of rituals and our way of life, and also to show them that we are not all so different. We encounter some of the same things no matter what race or class. But it's also a chance for every one to see our strength, our beauty, and our intelligence. When we love, we love hard and when we live, we live to the fullest!! Bravo to the Showtime for finally giving us a voice and a face!!

The Best Show on Television Ever!!!

Author: (rome2002@hotmail.com) from Baltimore, Maryland
12 August 2002

I know alot of people who did not give "Soul Food" a chance when it first premiered in the summer of 2000. Now everyone is tuning into the best series on Showtime (and television period). No other show can quite compare to the quality and perfection that is of "Soul Food." The show is definitely a must-see. Every Wednesday night I am glued to the TV set anxiously waiting for the outcome the show has to offer. Plus, the show isn't your basic stereotypical "black" show that seems to becoming the latest trend these days. The cast is very talented, smart and enthusiastic. And is the first show in TV history that was renewed for 40 episodes all at once. Though alot of its fans still think that the movie in which the series was adapted from is ultimately the best but if they just would give the show a chance, I'm sure that they will change their minds. My favorite characters on the show are Kenny played by Rockmond Dunbar and Maxine played by Vanessa Williams. The show is a treat that the whole entire family can enjoy...well maybe not the whole family. There are some subjective scences (nudity), adult content and adult language that should not be viewed by little children. I just hope that the show becomes available for DVD soon. So, if you have not tuned into Showtime's exciting series, what are you waiting for?

Excellent Show

Author: Walter Clark (waltdog84@aol.com) from St. Petersburg, FL
25 January 2001

This show is excellent. I think that it tops the movie. All of the actors are great and the storyline keeps me interested. Now in its second season, Soul Food is proving that the great writing, acting, directing, and everything else of th first season wasn't a fluke. I hope to see this show around for a long time.

Soul Food: Season 2 Release?

Author: smn57 from United States
20 August 2005

I have given up on the many attempts by nice folks,to persuade Paramount to release Soul Food: 2nd Season (or more). The Boycotts will continue by me on their other DVD's and movie releases. The petitions don't work, It didn't save Star Trek Enterprise, even with contributions!! My guess is that BET, Showtime, Channel One, and others are colluding, (paying) Paramount NOT to release the series in lieu of falling market viewer shares should it be released. Ie, I would cancel my subscription to Showtime or BET, when it does! This move by Paramount is tactical, probable designed to "punish" minorities for lackluster support across the 'movie going divide' they so heavily bank on.

It's a great show

Author: R (pooh_senior@hotmail.com) from USA
6 October 2002

At first I didn't think the show could measure up to the movie...but then it grew on me. I think that it's a great show...with a terrific cast. It really depicts African Americans in a positive and realistic way. I doubt their purpose was to be EXACTLY like the movie. I think that would have been their downfall.

As good as the movie!

Author: kim allen (kimwallen@aol.com) from Atlanta, GA
28 June 2000

I just finished watching the first episode of "Soul Food" and was blown away. The movie is one of my top 5 favorites and I wondered if the Showtime series could do it justice. Well, I wasn't disappointed. Even though the characters were played by lesser-known actors, they were all excellent. I look forward to the next episode. (Although I am worried about scheduling conflicts when "Oz" comes back on in a few weeks! I guess I will have to put the VCR to use then.)