IMDb > Yaadein... (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Yaadein...

Yaadein... More at IMDbPro »

Biggest Disappointment of the year.

Author: Rajesh from Los Angeles
28 July 2001

Though I am not a Hrithik fan, I went to see the movie because of Subhash Ghai. After all he has given some excellent movies to Indian Film Industry. And I had a lot of expectation from this movie too. But unfortunately I'll have to say this was one of the worst movies I saw in recent times. Right from the first scene it seemed like a drowning ship. Throughout the movie audience kept on expecting that now the ship will get itself floating. But with every minute it kept on going down. Audience were laughing in serious moments of the movie. But it seemed like it was trying to save itself (specially during song sequences, dance by Hrithik is only little good thing about the movie). After two hours of movie the movie ship is already drowned. And then it seems the whole crew gives a last attempt of salvage, without understanding that its already underwater. In last half an hour of the movie Jackie has given a credible performance. But at the end it was the biggest disappointment of the year. Sorry to the Hrithik fans.

Three hours of Coca Cola ads and an empty soul

Author: Kamran-3 from Toronto, Canada
29 July 2001

How depressing. I look forward to Subhash Ghai films every two years, I really do. I loved PARDES (3.5/4), and I appreciated parts of TAAL (3/4), so the expectations for his next film YAADEIN were naturally sky high. When TAAL released in the summer of 1999, one would have thought that Subhash Ghai would have taken the critics' reviews seriously. Overall, the film was well-liked, but it was in general agreement that the storyline of the film was poor and lacked originality. Therefore, I thought that by now, Ghai would be able to craft a perfect film, as I heard the pre-buzz about the film to be good. I thought the storyline of the film was interesting, not as original as I had hoped. But the film had names attached to it that could not be ignored.

Firstly, Jackie Shroff has slowly become one of my favorite actors now that he had embraced his maturity and given up trashy roles; watch MISSION KASHMIR (3.5/4) and tell me if I'm wrong. Secondly, Hritik Roshan and Kareena Kapoor - enough said. And finally, Anu Malik had claimed to have given the best score of the year. When the soundtrack released, I found the flak it received quite unfair, as I like the score, but I definitely did not think it was great. A few songs are good, many are average and only one is truly great - of course, the well loved title track.

Well, none of the hype lived upto the film. The storyline goes something like this. Shroff is left with three young girls to raise and marry off when his wife suddenly is killed in a police chase. The girls find love through different ways, but the last daughter (Kareena Kapoor) encounters the biggest problem when her lover (Hritik Roshan) is engaged (conveniently by force) to someone else. Well-crafted film bites much more than it can chew, leaving only moments of brilliance. Ghai's script, though dialogue heavy, is much too predictable and overlong, concluding with a less than satisfying tie-up. Roshan is excellent; Shroff does very well with a poorly defined role. Look out for the blatantly disgusting Coca Cola and other brand name advertisements placed throughout the film; it heavily cheapens the integrity of the film.

OVERALL RATING: * 1/2 out of four (poor, passable)

Yaadein...Just Entertaining Moments

Author: (skytun@hotmail.com) from MUMBAI
11 August 2001

I had great expectation from this film but it bombed on the box office but yet i liked the movie.Yaadein is a very different film and is entertaining movie.Subhash ghai has once again proved that he is one of the best director.Music of the film is excellent. Hrithik and Kareena have given very good performances.There is nothing to criticize about this film except for a very few.

Total Bilge!

Author: Augustus Finknottle from Sydney, Australia
1 August 2001

Yaadein - Something you would remember for all the wrong reasons. The actors behave like mannequins than people with flesh and blood, the delivery is staccato, and the plot is stilted. Of course H. Roshan's acting and dancing is good as always, but unfortunately it is not enough of a saving grace to sit down and be tortured for 3+ hours.

The movie can be described as one big advertising arena - for products ranging from Coke to Hero bicycles. If you are part of the unlucky lot that have bought a ticket to be entertained, make a game of counting the number of products that are being plugged in the various scenes. You are likely to derive more satisfaction than from the storyline.

What was the purpose of this movie?

Author: gb-1 from Edmonton, Canada
3 August 2001

I was disappointed by this movie because of its heavy recycling of the same old plot with new speeches. From the trailers it looked like it would be a good movie, but like other reviewers at IMDB I feel that this movie was an utter disappointment. The only thing that might save the movie are the cinematography, songs and the music, and _maybe_ the acting of Hrithik Roshan and Kareena Kapoor. By the way, this review was sponsored by Coca Cola (sorry, I just couldn't resist ;-) )

forgettable (koi yaadein nahi rahengi)

Author: aks_anything
29 July 2001

Subhash ghai attempts to make a love story which falls flat on its face. This is probably one of those movies which really test your perseverance..(of staying in the hall). I am yet to leave a movie in the middle but if there is one movie which could have broken my unblemished record, yaadein has to be it. The movie is a story of a father trying to become a dost of his three grown-up daughters who have been brought up in London. Now obviously, the father is Indian to the core and there are enough dialogues in the movie about sanskriti etc.

The father(played by Jackie shroff) wobbles between the two extreme views about mohabbat(whether it is good or bad) and there are a lot of sub-plots none of which is allowed to develop. The romance between Hrithik and kareena is pathetic with all the usual fundas thrown in(viz saving the heroine, puppy love etc). Hrithik may have a great following but (this is my personal opinion only)he has yet to show any subtelty in his acting. He tries very hard to show his love which translates to shouting and making faces (a.l.a shahrukh) instead of letting his eyes do the talking. There are twists:) like rich boy-poor girl, love is good/bad, another girl, a dead sweetheart always dressed in white, sacrifice to show gratitude etc which are just ghai's attempts to borrow from the breed of directors who are adept at making love-stories. Ovreall, a forgettable movie.

Good Movie Wrongly Rated.

Author: Herag Halli from Heraganahalli, India
22 June 2011

A rating of below 4 is an insult to the hard work and dedication of movie makers in the caliber of Subash Ghai. It's an insult to the actors, artists and technical talent. Yes, Ghai, has made few stinkers ("Kisna"), but overhaul this man is an asset to the Indian Film Industry. Why this movie is rated so low? From what I surmise, the main lead casting of Jackie Shroff was a mistake. Ideal casting would have been Bachchan or Rishi Kapoor. Shroff cannot reach the depth or range that this role calls for. Just because he has been acting for over 30 years has no bearing on his acting prowess. That said, the movie is too long and the story too twisted. Here is a movie about family values, fatherly love, friendship and sentiments and they were all thrown down the drain in the very public Corporate Stockholders meeting. Who came up with that ending to a story? That scene was ugly. The endorsement for dot.com and cola was in poor taste. Great lyrics and good music. The song/dance number at the Jaipur palace, was one of the best aesthetically choreographed numbers in Hindi Films. Two or three of the dance numbers (How many men in throes of a breakup resort to a wild dance? Hithik is a good actor, specially the scene where is doing mime in front of the bill board. This move is for the majority of the Indian audience who like good family-value movies, but the minority who have no taste or class will like "Dabaang" "Tees Maar Khan" and "Three Idiots" It's obvious this movie is not meant for them.

The less said the better

Author: Mr. Bug from Switzerland
22 October 2001

With "Yaadein" Hrithik Roshan delivers his first flop, commercially and artistically. Let's be fair. It's not his fault. On the contrary. If there is anything enjoyable in this film it's some scenes where his talent and screen presence rise above the material and give you an idea how powerful this film could have been in other hands than Mr. Ghai's. Some of his dancing is also quite spectacular as before. To be fair it should also be said that Kareena Kapoor has potential. She and Hrithik waste their talents here. Apart from that the lesser said the better. "Yaadein" is the kind of film everybody involved probably wants to leave behind and forget, despite its title.

Yet another Masterstroke by Subhash Ghai

Author: Hansa from Birmingham, England
11 August 2001

The hero of Yaadein is its excellent story line. The emotional scenes are par excellence. Hrithik Roshan justifies his star status and does well in romantic scenes. Kareena Kapoor may not look glamorous but her acting touches the heart. And above all Jackie Shroff as a father of three young daughters is outstanding. The debutants Avni Vasa, Hemani and Kiran Rathod are average. However, Overall Great performances by the three main characters, heart rending music, good story line makes Yaadein a "must see".

Could have a really good movie................

Author: rton_izwa SAEED from United States
26 August 2014

Yaadien was one of the most anticipated films of 2001 in India, because not only was it a big film, but it was a film directed by showman Subhash Ghai, at the time considered the finest filmmaker in Hindi Cinema, it was also a film with chartbuster music, it was also a movie featuring two talented promising young actors/actresses Hrithik Roshan and Kareena Kapoor, and it was a movie also starring veteran actor Jackie Shroff. But this movie bombed critically and commercially BIG TIME, I tell you why.......

This movie. I have to say from the film cover, looked pretty promising. I felt this movie will be golden, and it starred Hrithik Roshan, one of the best actors of Hindi Cinema, and my favorite actor, so I watched this movie, and man was I disappointed. Fifteen minutes into this movie, I felt forwarding it, because it was such a slow movie. It was very boring and dull until the song title song Yaadien, but pretty much after that it was downhill.

I have to say this is one terrible written movie, its stereotypical, clichéd.......you get the picture, very typical. The direction was LAME, i mean come on, a man who directed Pardes and Taal, directs this bore crap. This film's biggest flaw was its direction. Second acting, unlike the screenplay and direction, acting was better. Hrithik is a talented performer, thats why he was a able to pull of this undeveloped character, but he was unconsistent and offbeat, because of the bland and lame screenplay and direction. Kareena Kapoor, who back then was known to be a very over expressive actress, did a wonderful job, in this movie. Hrithik and Kareena's chemistry set the screen on fire. Jackie did an alright job. And as far of the rest of the cast, they acted well according to their characters.

I have to say, the actors tried really hard and it shows, What saves the movie from becoming a total disaster, are the musical numbers. Watch it only if you are a Kareena or Hrithik fan, DO NOT WATCH IT, THINKING ITS A SUBASH GHAI MOVIE, by the way, after this movie, Mr. Subash Ghai entered a career slump, and pretty much his career was over. Thankyou!