IMDb > Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham... (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham...

Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham... More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A beautiful film about bringing families together

Author: punzelle from United States
22 February 2005

This film shines from start to finish, and runs the gamut of emotions. The cinematography, sets, and costumes are brilliant. The sparkling performances of six of India's leading actors alone makes the movie worth seeing, even if some might not feel comfortable with the deep sentimentality displayed by the leading men (women are fine with this; American men sometimes find it unnerving). Hrithik Roshan is pure eye candy for women of all ages, somehow oozing sweetness and innocent sexuality at the same time. The catchy song and dance number he performs with the lovely Kareena Kapoor at their 'prom,' "You Are My Soniya," has gotten regular replays in this household for weeks (even by my 79-year old mother, who will say, "I need a Soniya fix" - it really cheers her up!). The other musical numbers are very enjoyable, too, and never seem out of place or at odds with the flow of the film. Shahrukh Khan is adorable, as always, as the favorite son, and can hold his own in the dance numbers, too. Kajol gets to show her comic side, and was great at it! And knowing that the 'parents,' Amitabh and Jaya are a married couple in 'real life' just makes their interactions in the film that much better. Don't miss this wonderful movie! If you see just one Hindi movie, make it this one! (I am adding this question, for anyone who knows the answer: I wanted to find out what actor played Rohan at about age 12; the cast list shows three names for "Fattie" but no further details for any of these actors. If you happen to know the answer, please email me at punzelle@cox.net. Thank you!)

I adored this movie!

Author: (tarynblake)
18 January 2005

I absolutely adore this movie. I borrowed it from an Indian friend and first of all fell IN LOVE with Hrithrik Roshan. Not even the bootleg tape I had could hide his beauty. I think I watched the movie 3 times in one week! Seeing as how the film is 3 1/2 hours long, that's saying a lot.

As always, Sharukh Khan is a pleasant diversion on screen. Kajol's character was a lot of fun too. It's nice to see a girl with spunk get her man! Nearly all of the songs and choreography were stellar. I will most definitely buy this one.

Like some of the other reviewers mentioned, there is definitely some over-acting but those few moments of suffering are rewarded with a variety of eye-candy. This film is definitely worth watching.

hoorah! for Bollywood!

Author: hansbearnl from Netherlands
1 August 2002

I have never been a Bollywood-fan, believe me. Especially with all those movies full of cobra's, killing and corrupt policemen. But today I decided to go for a handsome face on the poster of the cinema, and sat down to watch about 3 hours of typical Bollywoodfun. No regrets! A modern story about conflicts between generations, growing up in different ages, with different traditions. A story that will make the audience in many countries feel could be their own story of life. Even the music was not disturbing, and the humor is refreshing at times. The music is even for a westerner like me something to ad to my collection of cd's, and the only minor thing for me was the sudden apearance of Egytian pyramids as background for a romantic song. After movies from Indonesia have won my heart earlier in 2001, and France with 'Amelie', Bollywood is the next, with Hollywood loosing ground.

Trademark Karan Johar

Author: nomanali77 from United Arab Emirates
12 March 2006

I respect Karan Johar. He is an honest director. There are a lot of young directors out there today that are taking the Hollywood approach to film making and the end result is a mish mash of a desi product in a foreign packaging. Karan Johar, on the other hand, takes a desi story, puts it in a desi package but only refines it more than most others do. What you get is a very good Bollywood movie that has elements of emotion, melodrama, comedy, family values, romance and music in equal doses. Yes, I admit that the story does leave a lot of questions unanswered, but that's OK considering the desired target market is one that is alright with that and sheds expectations of credibility before walking in to the cinema.

K3G is a beautiful example of what a good director can do. Agreed, the movie may not have been as great without the power star cast, but then, let us not forget that before those people are stars, they are very good actors. Well, except maybe Kareena and Hritik.

This is where the minus points are. Hritik did nothing but weep perpetually. Kareena played an overbearing slut. And to top it off, she and her friends all spoke American slang and also had that slight twang of an American accent. (PHAT: Pretty Hot And Tempting?? That's ghetto lingo!) And I really didn't like the national anthem thing. i felt it was a little pushed. I think KJ went a little overboard there in trying to make the NRI audience cry. The only time that trick has worked effectively was years ago in "naam" when Pankaj Udhas sang the "Chitthi Aayi Hai" song.

There are certain scenes that I found really well done in the movie. The last time Rahul meets Rohan before the latter goes off to boarding school, he has a talk with him about taking care of Mum, losing weight and joining he cricket team. They are sitting on a bench, side by side having this talk. Years later, in the second half of the movie, after Rahul realizes that his brother has been living with him all this while, the scene again cuts to them sitting on a bench, this time ten years later. It could've been shot anywhere, but the fact that the setting is so similar just makes it even more memorable.

The scene where Nandini (mom) meets Rahul after years at the shopping mall, she places her hand on his shoulder and he turns around. Wow.

And the finale of course. Amitabh breaking down with SRK.

One mustn't expect great international cinema here. this is what great Bollywood is all about.

A grand, musical and emotional Bollywood extravaganza!

Author: Peter Young from Earth
12 July 2009

Karan Johar's Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham is one of the most ravishing, grandiose and melodramatic Hindi films ever made. It is incredibly unrestrained and stormy in its emotional quotient, and yet so watchable, enjoyable and at times even pleasurable, that you can't but applaud to this spectacular show. It is one of the few films where overacting seems superb acting and overly melodramatic proceedings, despite being very cheesy and occasionally clichéd, become quite bearable. It combines realism and surrealism, comedy and heavy melodrama in a very unique style, which makes for an altogether colourful picture which is fun to watch.

The film is about relationships in family, about loving your parents and your family, about pride, values and regret. The well defined and written characters are used to create and present all these qualities. Even the least emotional scenes are accompanied by orchestrated violins, heavy piano and strikingly sad pictures on-screen. The film shows both the bright and dark sides of happy families, and while it never breaks new ground, never looks totally authentic, it is always entertaining in spite of its flaws. It depicts both the Indian traditional world and the western modern world and tries to bring them together in many instances.

Some of the film's too emotional scenes could have been better edited and partly cut. The cinematography is good, the sets are extremely lavish, and the narrative is effectively laden with numerous songs and many memorable moments of comedy and drama. The comedy provides great relief and lightens the otherwise more-than-enough drama, and the music is extraordinary. My favourite song is "Suraj Hua Maddham", a greatly melodious number wonderfully performed by Sonu Nigam and Alka Yagnik and extremely beautifully shot across some breathtaking locations. Needless to say, the chemistry between the two leads, Shahrukh Khan and Kajol, is as electrifying as ever.

Where acting goes, Amitabh Bachchan is restrained and displays well the hidden pain and the visible pride. Jaya Bachchan is superb as the subservient yet strong woman. Towards the end there is one very powerful scene in which she really stands out (you'll know which one). Shahrukh Khan in a typical, cynical and likable character, is great as always. Kajol utterly steals the show and proves her prowess as a gifted comedienne. She is hilarious in her comic scenes and equally shines in moments of drama. Her strong, charismatic presence is perhaps the best thing about this film. Farida Jalal provides excellent support. Hrithik and Kareena are unimpressive and inconsistent. Hrithik is over-expressive and far more emotional than required, and Kareena, while attractive and quite funny at times, badly overacts.

All in all, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham has bits of everything: drama, melodrama, romance and comedy, all presented wholeheartedly in true Hindi-film style with lots of tears and lots of fun. It is an example of Bollywood entertainment at its grandest, and works as such. This is a movie to be seen with one's family. Go for it.

Life, love and then some....... all a lesson we should learn.

Author: betseyblue1 from New York
1 July 2004

Saw it Own it. And not just because I'm a woman either. The movie is rather lengthy but well worth sending the message it sends, which is: Family is our most precious asset we can own in this world. No matter what Family is Family and you love them regardless of their choices, mistakes and what nots. This is the type of movie that should be shown to all, to wake up our society and make them realize that life and family are too precious to take for granted. I wish more people knew about this movie, it has a universal language and appeal. And while others may think its too long of a movie to watch, I say get an attention span. I wish American movies were more like this one. The musical numbers while at first seem a bit weird, are rather entertaining and joyful to watch. Excellent movie!!

Sweeping

Author: ginger_sonny from London, England
9 August 2004

Glossy emotional drama, bringing together talent across the acting generations of Indian cinema.

With a cast that reads like a Who's Who of Indian cinema, Karan Johar's film focuses on the tensions within a divided family, namely the rift between strict disciplinarian father Yashovardhan (played by Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan) and his estranged son, Rahul (Shah Rukh Khan).

With Bollywood heart-throb Hrithik Roshan in the role of brother Rohan and Kareena Kapoor as sister Pooja, the A-list cast is completed by Jaya Bachchan. Following the fortunes of wealthy non-resident Indians in the UK, the film takes in beautiful locations from the British Museum to Blenheim Palace and serves as a paean to the motherland, India.

K3G (as it is more commonly known) is a glossy emotional drama, bringing together talent across the acting generations and includes the show-stopping number 'Shava Shava.'

A pleasant diversion

Author: Debbie (dmul53) from USA
20 April 2003

Kabhi Kushi Kabhi Gham is the story of Rahul (Shahrukh Khan), the adopted son of multi-millionaire Yashovardhan Raichand (Amitabh Bachchan). When Rahul disappoints his father by marrying the wrong girl, Anjali (Kajol) he is disowned. Rahul and Anjali move to London where 10 years later Rahul's younger brother, Rohan (Hrithik Roshan) tracks them down in an attempt to re-unite the family. Along the way a romance buds between Rohan and Anjali's younger sister, Pooja (Kareena Kapoor).

The story breaks no new ground here, but I have to admit I was drawn in, probably because of the actors. With a star cast like this one, you have to be entertained...Khan/Bachchan/Roshan have a wonderful three way chemistry in my opinion, and the presence of the bubbly Kajol is icing on the cake. Also admirable is Jaya Bachchan as the family matriarch who never stops longing for her elder son's return...she and Shahrukh Khan share a screen relationship that is authentically warm and completely believable.

The films weaknesses (and there are many) start off first of all with the odiously conceited Kareena Kapoor, who in spite of the costume designer's self-proclaimed "sophisticated" wardrobe looks and acts like a cheap tramp throughout the film (note to Bollywood costume designers: in England and America the only women who dress in skin-tight cleavage-revealing sequined mini-dresses when they go to the mall are PROSTITUES. Get it right!)

The second weakness is the overdone splendor of the sets. I felt the story and the cast were enough to hold the viewer's attention. We simply didn't need every scene to look like it was shot in Buckingham Palace or an interior designer's showroom.

The third weakness (and Hrithik/Kareena fans will disagree) was all the disco look-at-Hrithik's-muscles look-at-Kareena-shake-her-butt dances. I fast forwarded them after a few minutes. Tasteless and boring, IMO. Hrithik is not a bad actor, he is more than just a bulging-biceped pretty boy, but you'd never know it from these scenes. Also, again, the fact that all the NRI women in the film are dressed like hookers is just WRONG.

And last of all, although I love all the emotional exaggeration in Hindi films MOST of the time, I thought there was just a bit too much weeping in this one...a little less snivelling from Shahrukh and Hrithik would given the remaining scenes a bit more punch, I think. (But Khan is the King of snivellers, so I guess Karan Johar had to let him do his "thing")

Overall I think this is an enjoyable film, mainly because of the cast, and a pleasant diversion. I recommend it.

One of the BEST Bollywood Movie ever made

Author: Liakot Ali from London
11 June 2006

Kabhie Khushi Kabhie Gham known as K3G is one of the Best Bollywood Movies of all time. It was a Big Budget movie with the Big Giants of Bollywood together in one movie. It has the biggest opening in UK reaching Number 3 in the UK Top 10. It was directed by Karan Johar after the Huge Success of Kuch kuch hota hai, This film looked like a instant Hit judging from the trailers and Star Cast. Amitabh is Great in a powerful performance, Shah Rukh Khan is Superb in a wonderful role. Kajol is amusing and annoying, but her character is suppose to be dim, so she did entertain for a bit. Hritek Roshan is Fantastic in one of his best performances. Jaya Bachchan is Marvellous and full of emotions as the mother. Rani Mukherjee is Good in a small role. The only person that gave this film a slight weakness is Kareena Kapoor. Her character was so unrealistic and annoying, in reality if a person acted like that in college then they would of been laughed at bye me. This was a real delightful movie to enjoy watching with the family, but Kareena's character was a bit of a slapper, who did not look pretty and over acts. Overall a Great Movie.

It's about loving your family............

Author: Hassen Sheik from Cape Town, South Africa
11 January 2002

This movie is truly a work of art, with the emphasis on art. Dazzling costumes, magnificent buildings, glitzy cars, tons of emotions. Karan Johar is a master at extracting the exact emotion that he wants from the viewer. You cannot help but weep or cry at various scenes, even though you see them coming a mile away. The storyline is cliched and has been done many times before, but NEVER has it been packaged in such a powerful way. Kudos to the director, who despite the small flaws in the script, steers the viewer away from it, and engrosses you in the myriad of artistic explosions on the screen. Amitabh Bachan plays the patriach and is fairly good in the role, although he has done it before and is starting to stereotype him. Some scenes, I thought, were a little demeaning to him [the dance with the females in the Shava song], and should have been done more tastefully.

Jaya Bachan is very good as the wife, with the amazing ability to sense her son. The scene where she stands up to Amitabh is brilliantly executed, as is the scene where ShahRukh meets her in the shopping mall in London.

Kajol is brilliant, and this is probably her best role/performance of her career. She is pure magic and fills the screen with bubbly enthusiasm and sheer excitement whenever she is in frame.

Kareena Kapoor is appropriately cast and is also excellent in the role of Poo. She is a delight to watch, and does not falter, even in the comic scenes with Shahrukh. One cannot imagine anyone else in this role.

Hrithik Roshan, to me, was the surprise of the movie. He was brilliant and just about steals the show in the second half of the movie. His performance is sincere and visually a treat. He is indeed the superstar of the future. Bulging muscles and hip dance steps aside, this guy is a brilliant actor through and through.

But for me, Shahrukh Khan is the star of this movie. He is stupendous, magnificent, brilliant. He makes you laugh, cry, dance, cringe, smile. He does all this with flawless perfection. His pairing with Kajol is magical, and it shows on screen. I can now understand why Karan Johar says that he cannot imagine doing a film without Shahrukh. The guy is amazing.

On the whole, this is an excellent movie that is worth at least 4 trips to the cinema. Thank you Karan Johar.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]