IMDb > Super Troopers (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Super Troopers

Super Troopers More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 34:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

One of the best comedies ever.

Author: blairjones78 from Perth, Australia
16 July 2005

Not many movies keep on getting better and better as you watch them for the 5th, 6th or 7th time, especially comedies. The first time I saw this movie in the Cinema it didn't blow me away, and most people I know who have seen this movie only once do not rate it very highly. After seeing it a few times I rate this movie as high as Fletch and other classic comedies, probably higher.

There is so many worthwhile jokes that I think it must have taken quite a while to write - if you don't have a similar sense of humour you would probably think they had written it all in one night which clearly wasn't the case. There is not a lot to complain about with respect to the acting either - their style suits the movie perfectly.

Remember that it is a comedy first and foremost - if you are looking for an clever story you have the wrong genre. Criticism of the movie being a series of sketches or jokes is really irrelevant - one look at the cover or preview tells you exactly what kind of movie it is. Regardless, there is nothing wrong with the plot and if you appreciate/comprehend the jokes the movie flows just fine.

If you are going to watch it, watch it 2 or 3 times.

future classic

Author: tallandthin from LA, CA
24 February 2004

One of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. I haven't seen a funnier first 10 minutes of a movie since SOUTH PARK -- the gags are puerile and stupid, yes, but they are also refreshingly original. No fair comparing this to POLICE ACADEMY -- the characters in that dreadful series of movies were all alien morons and hardly recognizable as human beings. These characters are smart and fully fleshed out -- these are the kind of guys who remind you of your friends. This movie should be an inspiration to both aspiring film-makers and to the big studios -- you don't need a $20 million actor and twenty-five different writers and a ridiculously contrived concept to make a successful comedy. If I were running a big studio, I'd sign Broken Lizard up to do 10 more movies at the $5-$10 million range, let them hit their stride and develop a following, and cash in on the DVD sales. And let's face it -- none of these guys are leading men, none of them would ever have had a career in Hollywood on their own, but together, they're funnier than those lames on SNL.

A rave review for a great comedy

Author: Mike Kinsella (kinsellamj) from Incirlik, Turkey
26 January 2003

Super Troopers? Never heard of it. Then I saw it. Then I hit play again and watched it twice in a row. Sitting in an Airbase in Turkey, I knew I had found what would be our number one "cruise flick." The movie that all the officers of Fighting VAQ-134, could watch together, then spend the next few weeks quoting. One guy even got a callsign, "Farva." Perfect. There is a lot of great material to chew on all through the movie. The rivalry, pranks, and rookie bashing are things we cherish. And we can all relate to having that one guy around who drives you crazy. Many of my peers have already purchased the movie. And we have incorporated many of the quotes into our cinematically based lingo.

My recommendation is to grab a bunch of friends, maybe some cold beverages, and have a good time. You just may want to become a Highway Patrolman.

Biting Satire of Cops, Drugs and Highway Mayhem! Awesome!

Author: Robert L. Besgrove from United States
24 September 2004

The ensemble cast in this film takes the just above average drug humor and turns it into a laugh festival. I rate this movie as funny as Animal House.

The Local Highway Troopers are hapless, hopeless, and not anyone you want on YOUR highway, but man are they funny! You truly find yourself loving this crew as they struggle to keep their station open in the face of budget cuts.

The characters are so widely diverse yet so believable from the ethnically questionable leader of the crew Arkot Ramathorne (Thorny) whose girlfriend runs a head shop to the adorable and insane Mack whose wild stunts steal the show on a regular basis.

Forget what that other guy says.

Author: grizzlor (andy.hull@gmail.com) from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
24 December 2002

Super Troopers LOOKS stupid but came through in the clutch with solid laughs from this comedy team.

I'm not going to use some lame rating system like the other guy used but I will say this: IT IS BETTER THAN THOSE MOVIES HE MENTIONED.

Super Troopers combines solid physical comedy with surprisingly solid comedy writing. Its by no means a classic, but it is very worth sitting around with some friends, smacking a few beers and checking out this flick.

I was surprised by the hilarity of this movie, hopefully you will too.

I couldn't stop laughing

Author: Agent10 from Tucson, AZ
21 May 2002

This was a welcome change of pace, a film that was a bit independent and a bit mainstream, yet all in all, was still hilarious. With an unknown and unproven cast, this film captured a certain sense of zeal within a viewer, certainly making the viewer wish highway patrolmen were this funny and irregular all the time. Funny, even though the comedy was sometimes low brow, this film certainly earned its accolades at the Sundance Film Festival.

Realistic Comedy Classic

Author: Aeryck Arayuss from United States
20 June 2006

This movie was hysterical! The way they joked around with each other was so true to life! It wasn't unrealistic at all! Anybody who sees this will have to agree that there is at least one character in the film that reminds them of one of their buddies! I know it sure reminded me of the guys that hang around me! We just saw the movie this evening on IFC in widescreen, without commercials, and unedited. I am very happy I waited to see it this way instead of a TNT, TBS, USA, or FOX broadcast version. I am definitely getting this movie on DVD as soon as possible! The outtakes and behind the scenes features are probably fantastic!

Awesome

Author: Scott Roland (stunt4film@aol.com) from Texas
22 January 2003

I have seen this movie about 25 times and it is absolutely one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. The comedy is fresh and deep at times but if you have any sort of a sense of humor...you'll love it. The characters are built well and the film flows evenly until the end. Farva is the funniest character and works well with the others.

Buy it!

What you'd get if you put any Farelly Brothers movie, and The Naked Gun in a blender.

Author: jaysilentbob37 from United States
12 June 2006

If you try to picture that, you'll understand what kind of movie you're getting when you watch this hilarious movie. This is one, that will actually require a second viewing after wards, either because you're laughing so hard, or you don't get most of the jokes. If you don't understand it the first time around, please watch it again. There are a LOT of jokes and gags here, most of them are fall-on-the-floor funny, and even if you don't get it, the movie will still make you smile. I think this is the perfect movie to watch on a bad day. It will cheer you up instantly.

The film follows the ridiculously stupid antics of a team of five Vermont State Troopers, Thorny, Farva, Mac, Foster, and Rabbit, none of whom would really qualify for a bronze medal in the special Olympics (as far as police work goes). These cops' idea of a good time involves playing bizarre, often rude mind games with the speeders they pull over (such as, trying to substitute as many words as possible with the word "meow," and repeating each other's lines), and chugging bottles of maple syrup in the nearby diner. The state cops and the local cops are rivals, and if the contest was for sanity, the locals would win in a landslide. The mayor is threatening to shut down the state troopers precinct, and when a murder that somehow involves drugs occurs on the highway, the inept highway patrolmen find this as a last ditch effort to save their jobs.

Yep, the plot highly resembles something from The Naked Gun, and while the film isn't as great as that, the laughs are nearly just as consistent. Once you see the movie for the third time, you will need to pause the movie occasionally in order to let out all your laughter from the last hysterical gag, and prepare yourself for the next one, which will of course, come probably as soon as you hit the play button.

The actors who play the five troopers are all really talented unknowns (especially the guy who plays Farva), and they should all get more starring roles. These guys really know how to make you laugh your ass off, and the fact that they manage to keep the straightest faces imaginable while doing it is priceless. These guys need more recognition, because as long as these guys aren't acting, lots of talent is going to waste. This film really makes me want to see the other Broken Lizard movie, Club Dread, just so I can see these guys in action again. The scenery in the film is just plain gorgeous, with the beautiful green New England look. It's a happy setting, that totally sets a mood of impending hilarity. From the hysterical opening sequence involving some stoned teenagers and littering, you'll need to duct tape your sides together to avoid splitting. Quoting another review, this film may seriously impair your ability to keep a straight face while speaking to a state trooper. I couldn't agree more. This hilarious film receives an 8/10. Please watch it again if it isn't hilarious to you the first time.

Super Troopers is proudly rated R for Language, Sexual Content, and Drug Use. Sex: 8/10 Violence: 5/10 Swearing: 10/10 Drugs: 7/10

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen

Author: C G from United States
26 July 2006

A great film, with a good pace, lot's of great physical humor and good dialog. This film features terrific characters with the leads (the members of Broken Lizard) and supporting cast. It even has wonder woman (well, Linda Carter is in it at least. And she's still a babe.) The film is also visually interesting with good cinematography and excellent editing. There are great performances from all of the characters including the stoners, cops, and troopers.

The plot centers around the antics of a bored group of state troopers who play around with the people they pull over, despite the fact they are about to be cut from the state budget. Good plot tension is added by there rivalry with the local cops and there fight over the territory. There are a number of great pranks, in addition to the good repartee between various characters.

This is one of my favorite all time movies, and one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. It ranks up there with Rat Race, Caddy Shack, and perhaps even Animal House.

Page 1 of 34:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]