IMDb > "Static Shock" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Static Shock"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Static Shock" More at IMDbPro »

One of the most amusing but smart cartoons on television.

Author: Alex (sarcasticallyso) from Pennsylvania, United States
21 February 2004

I first saw Static Shock several years ago on the Kids WB! morning schedule.

This program is honestly one of the smartest and funniest on children's television today. Virgil Hawkins is a teenaged superhero who is given powers in "the Big Bang," a chemical sort of explosion. With the help of his friend Richie, he turns himself into Static Shock. Static fights the "Bang Babies" who go crazy and steal or hurt others.

One of the best things about this show is how real life topics such as school shootings and gangs are easily worked into the plot without feeling fake. The stories feel relatable. Other topics include racism, judging by appearance, the loss of a family member, and more. Virgil and Richie make the best friends duo work without coming across as cheesy or unreal, and they both deal with the problems they face maturely.

The only bad thing about the show is how guest stars are not well worked into the script. The only exception of this was Shaq. The guest stars take some getting used to, and sometimes distract from the rest of the show, but they usually don't feel too out of place. One of the most amusing things is when Virgil and Richie talk about superheroes and get starstruck. At least the show is believable, and highly recommended.

Superhero Static shock, Woo Woo!!!!

Author: EasyAttack from Los Angeles, California
2 December 2004

I love Static. This is easily one of my favorite cartoons on television, and Static has always been one of my favorite Super heroes. Static will cross over into a live action show or movie franchise one day because he is a deep character and he has mass appeal. The creator of Static, Dwayne McDuffie, did try to get a live action TV Show of Static developed, but The WB passed up the script, which is sad because I really think that Static would make good Smallville-type drama.

Some Static episodes are light-hearted, but some deal with serious issues like racism, death, and social issues. But what I absolutely love the most about this show is the crossover episodes they have with other DC characters like Batman, Robin, the Justice League, and even Batman Beyond. Static is good stuff. I hope that one day he crosses over into other media forms, outside the comics or the animated series. Static the animated series has all kind of cool Meta-humans that us comic fans can't get enough of, and Phil Lamar's voice work is genius. Static gets 10 stars out of 10!

Wonderful Cartoon which mixes Super Heroes of the 1960s with the New Millennium

Author: tolliver11 from Columbus, Ohio
13 February 2005

Premise - Static - real name Virgil Hawkins lives in Dakota City, just outside of Gotham City. His mother died of an illness when he was younger. He is a teenager that lives with his father a social worker who heads up a neighborhood community center and his sister who is a couple of years older than him.

He appears to have received his super powers from some nuclear industrial accident that impacted a lot of the young people in a certain area (an economically depressed) section of the city. I think they are referred to as bang babies. The children that were exposed to the toxins have mutated into something similar to the x-men. Virgil is one of the few kids who decides to use his newly found powers - the ability to control electricity - to the benefit of others. So he becomes a teenage, African-American crime fighter.

The most interesting episodes I have enjoyed are those in which he runs into Batman and Robin. Robin wasn't in the episode this Sunday, just Batman because he (Robin) was off with the Teen Titans (smile). There is even an episode in which he (Static) time travels into the future and hooks up with an old Bruce Wayne and the new teenage Batman of the Batman Beyond Series.

The reason that I am sharing this with you is because in a recent episode I viewed on Sunday morning, Static goes to Africa, specifically Ghana on a vacation trip with his father and sister. Pops has been educating the kids all through the beginning of the episode on trivia regarding Ghana such as; when they got their independence, a look at the history of Ghana and a fact that approximately 16% of slaves sent to America that were taken from the African Continent came from Ghana. Anyway, there is a scene in the episode in which Static is surfing on his electric surf disc through the forested areas outside of Accra and he calls his best friend back home, a white teenager and tells him of his feelings of exhilaration and exuberance that he is experiencing while visiting a country with all black folk in it. The kid says, yeah he understands because his Dad went back to experience his Irish roots and was just as goofy as Static. Static told him no that wasn't it - he said here - in this land I am just a kid (didn't even have to say I am just a kid - not a black kid). He then tells his friend, this is what you must feel like all the time. I can only dream of a place in which when people see me for the first time they will just see me as a woman and not a black woman. Wonderful cartoon - thought you might enjoy watching it if you are not already hip to this series.

Static Shock may be currently seen daily on the Cartoon Network.

Teen Heroes rules!

Author: Star Wars Lover (ilovestarwars@ubbi.com.br) from Brazil
18 November 2004

Static Shock is one of my favorite cartoons.It's so cool, with action, animation and funny dialogues. Virgil Hawkins is a boy who have been affected by a strange nuclear cloud called "The Big Bang".With the explosion, he gained superpowers to control electricity.But Virgil wasn't the only person that had been affected by the Big Bang. Many school bullies had gained powers, and then they terrorize people in not only in school but also in the whole city.Then Virgil uses his power to defeat the bullies! In the second series, Virgil meets many famous superheroes, such as Batman, Superman, and others. His friend Richie also transforms into a superhero, known as Gear. Static Shock is a very cool cartoon. I give a score of 9.5/10.

One of the better quality cartoons on Kids WB

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
3 October 2002

Okay,so it needs so things ironed out,but in all this one of the better variety of quality cartoons that comes on Kids WB(The WB Network)which is mostly seen on Saturday Mornings. Its also one of the ONLY shows that features an African-American teenage superhero!! The show does start out kinda of slow at first,but it pickes up speed very quickly and the action doesn't stop. By the way,where do you have special guest stars who appeared like Batman one week(where the Caped Crusader and Static battle with the evil Joker),and then the next week have Shaquille O'Neal battling evil doers(with a basketball)all in a half-hour and at the end of the show,the animators display the characters as they are drawed on paper and showed in detail to the audience?

Only on Static Shock! Catch it on Kids WB!

youngins, youngins... uninformed youngins!

Author: scusiidude from United States
13 November 2006

I'm pleased that you all like the show. I love "Static Shock". It is indeed (or at least was) one of the better toons on TV. Though every now and then, it appears to go a little over-board with the whole racism awareness biz, the show was definitely an anchor point for individuals who felt that they were not equally represented in the pool of superheroes that we know of today.

However, I must bring forth the fact that Static is not a new character. He isn't the first African – American superhero either. In fact, his character was taken from an earlier DC character named Black Steel.

Also, FYI… Green Lantern, Cyborg, BumbleBee, Herald and HotSpot are all African American – in addition to Static.

But I agree with all of you – Bring Static back! Induct him into the Justice League – as a matter of fact, BRING BACK THE JUSTICE LEAGUE!!!

Static Rules!

Author: LilRascal7611 from United States
16 January 2005

It's sad that Static Shock isn't being made any more, because I thought by far it was the greatest show on animation since 2000-. At least it is still on. Dwane McDuffie and Phil LaMarr really did a great job, along with of the other cast too of course. I hope that this show well stay on forever and ever. That would be cool! I don't know why it was ever canceled, and I want to!!!! I really thought that Static Shock was more than just a super hero, he was kind of like an idol because they made him human. He wasn't born a meta human, but he got into trouble and that all led up to becoming Static Shock, and I think that that is the most possible thing I have seen yet as far as super heroes. I especially like how they cover the issues that people face today like racism and gang fights. Again its a bummer that STATIC got canceled.

I LOVE STATIC SHOCK (super hero Static Shock woo hoo!)

Peace and out, your forever #1 fan,

-Ame

About Time

Author: Nanaspottedeagle from Philadelphia, PA
17 April 2003

This show is very good. I have never seen any cartoon that feature African Americans as the main character. It is about time cartoons started being "real". As far as trying to be too black, I think that most teenagers act that way. Name two no one show similar to this, HA you can't. I like this show, it is real nice, now it only they had a girl version. Very good I hope they keep it on for a while.

It's About Time

Author: Trevino (muzikos) from Southern USA
27 January 2003

African American super heroes are virtually non-existent. I'm glad that there's another black hero to add color to the fold. Static is urban, REAL and black- not a show trying to suit "mainstream" tastes by neglecting cultural references and themes.

THIS SHOW ROCKS!!

Author: moonymonster
24 February 2002

I think this is one of the best Cartoon shows KidsWB has! It's really cool! I think it's neat because it talks about current issues, like bigots, homeless folk, gangs, guns...... each eppie they try something new! And the fact that Static has LIMITS is rather cool! I mean, he can actually get knocked out, feel tired, and has social obligations! Plus he's a normal kid in a abnormal situation! 2 Thumbs Up for this series!!