IMDb > "Faerie Tale Theatre" Sleeping Beauty (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Faerie Tale Theatre" Sleeping Beauty (1983)

« Prev | 5 of 27 Episodes | Next »

Great for kids or kids at heart

Author: anitastrongmann from United States
4 July 2006

This presentation of Sleeping Beauty is delightfully amusing. I am a huge fan of Christopher Reeve and love Sleeping Beauty, so I absolutely HAD to see this when I heard about it. As always, Christopher Reeve gives a wonderful performance as the prince and works very well with the rest of the cast. Although she does not fit my picture of Sleeping Beauty, Ms. Peters is fabulous and entertaining. The costumes and scenery are very colorful and fairytale-ish, as they should be. There are several supporting characters who are very amusing, and you can tell that the entire cast must have had immense fun in this production. This is definitely geared towards young children but will no doubt delight parents as well.

A Very "Adult" Fairy Tale

Author: PinkWeeds from United States
6 September 2007

Although I did not watch this movie as a child and therefore cannot say what it would have been like , as an adult I found it to be a humorous and somewhat suggestive movie. But before I get into the plot allow me to praise this amazing cast of actors! Bernadette couldn't be more charming in the role of Sleeping Beauty. While she sings to the visiting King you cannot help but be drawn to her eyes and her sweet innocent face- almost mirroring Shirley Temple. As Princess Debbie she is equally charming-although opposite of Beauty. You really get to see Peters at what she does best- being obnoxious! For her handsome Prince you have Christopher Reeve as a heroic and at times over zealous prince out searching for perfection. His character is wholly good and serious and through that hilarity ensues! The supporting cast includes Rene Auberjonois as King Boris, Sleeping Beauty's lovable father who enjoys fairy tales before bed and would do anything to protect his daughter. Beverly D'Angelo as Henbane the saucy and mean-spirited fairy who clearly has nothing better to do with her time and Carol Kane is the sweet and naïve good fairy who clearly needs a little time to do her best thinking. This all-star cast is brilliantly put together to make a stunning child fairy tale come to life.

As for the movie itself, I think that adults who enjoy fairy tales and fantasy can really sink their teeth into this. In one particular scene Princess Debbi (Peters) requests that the Prince (Reeves) remove pearls from her top with his teeth. At another part in the movie the process of sex is explained to the Queen by a brownie before you see her seducing the King. Although the movie isn't gory or dark as the Grimms Fairy Tale version is, it's clear that the movie was made for both adult and child alike to enjoy. I highly recommend it to all fantasy and fairy tale lovers.