IMDb > Ignition (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Ignition More at IMDbPro »

Routinish

Author: jrgirones from Arenys de Mar, Catalonia, Spain
13 May 2002

Routinish, yet sometimes entertaining, action and suspense flick which worst sin is not taking itself seriously. It all becomes more and more implausible along the way and the script writer seems to realize it by adding some humor. No problem with that except the movie didn't start like a great joke and even seemed a nice variation on Ridley Scott's "Someone to watch over me", with an exciting subplot involving the U.S. army. Watch it just for fun and, of course, for the amazing Lena Olin.

Definitely worth watching!

Author: (trodgers-3) from Australia
27 July 2002

I expected a B grade movie - but this was MUCH better than B grade.

Well directed, produced and acted and INTELLIGENT (a rare commodity these days).

It's not the best movie I've ever seen, but it's a better quality movie than most of the so-called "block-busters" I've seen recently...

Better than I thought it would be

Author: SALUDES
3 December 2003

Ignition is not the best movie I've ever seen. On the other hand, it's not the worst movie I've ever seen either. The film's plot is at least plausible; particularly in today's atmosphere of terrorism and the military's ever growing power to `contain' it. One can imagine a rouge military officer or two taking matters into their own hands so as to `do their duty'.

As for the acting in the film, again, not the best, but not the worst. Bill Pullman plays `Conner Gallagher' the rough around the edges body guard, and Lena Olin plays `Faith Mattis' the federal judge Gallagher is assigned to protect. Both Pullman and Olin turn in descent performances. As for the rest of the cast, well, the acting goes steadily down hill form there. As with any B-movie like Ignition, checking your sense of reality at the door helps one enjoy the movie. However with some B-flicks, no amount of imagination can make the movie watchable. Ignition is certainly at least one cut above that kind of movie. And, in fact, it might even be a bit better than that.

Over all, if you don't have anything better to do, watch it. You might like it.

Much better than I excpected

Author: swordfish-1 from Kosovo
28 April 2002

Truly said when I rent this movie I expected a true disaster. I don't even know why I rented it. But I must say I was quite impressed with it. It had a bit of humor and it was also a good thrill. There are a lot of better movies but this one is also worth of watching. Rent it cause it's pretty damn good.

Ignition fizzles! - SPOILERS

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
23 April 2003

Deep corruption in the federal government, an evil powerful official with a conspiracy to assassinate the President, and one man (Pullman) who can save the day while saving his love interest (Olin) and wading through a sea of armed assassins and a convoluted web of intrigue. Sound familiar?? Well, that's "Ignition"; a recycled B-flick contrivance and a journeyman production with just enough action and busy-ness to make it over the bar. Raggedy around the edges with some fire fights and pyro, this budget conscious flick offers marginal human drama, a weak romantic thread, no airborne vehicles, intense stunts, sex, martial arts, or other titillators. Mediocre stuff for Pullman fans and couch potatoes eager for some no-brainer action. (C)

Worth the Watch!

Author: Kim Carns from Canada
15 March 2003

I just got a copy of Ignition and watched it without any disappointment, except for Nicholas Lea whom didn't get a huge role in the film other than playing the part a ex-husband. It definately had its heartwarming moments with scenes of a relation ship between father and daughter. I recommend this film to anyone who likes a little bit of everything in a movie. There wasn't too much violence, but the film was pretty realistic.

Was that Bill Pullman or Michael Douglas?

Author: auntiem162-1 from United States
11 August 2008

What a shock this movie was. The lead actor looked a lot like a beefed up Bill Pullman, but he reminded me more of Michael Douglas. O.k., so I'm joking. I had to pinch myself, but I KNEW it was Pullman I'd been watching as a kick-a__ US Marshal...just never thought of him as an "action" actor, but listen up...HE DID FINE--HE DID GREAT! I just never saw him move so fast or act so tough and there wasn't a false note in it anywhere! And a nuanced performance to boot! Opening scene...he blasts the hell out of the bad guys and then a few scenes later shoots his washing machine....twice! I'd buy it just to see that again. This is an excellent B movie with way better than average acting and an intricate plot. Give it a try, you just might be pleasantly surprised. He played "nice" with Lena Olin, too!

Watchable

Author: mfsor from San Francisco Bay Area
1 August 2006

That's the word, watchable, when it's not very good, full of flaws, stretches the suspension of disbelief by making you consciously do it rather than forgetting that you're doing it. The usual running a whole block faster than a speeding car, escaping the exhaust gases from a huge rocket, and a judge who would be kicked off the bench for doing half the things she does in the movie and wouldn't do them anyway. She acts more like a rebellious teenager than a person who is at the level of a federal appeals court deciding cases of great national interest. Bill Pullman is just too self-destructive to be interesting. His kid is great, and that tries to make up for it. How come I'm not a helicopter pilot? Everybody else is. Oh, well. I don't like it when they cheat on the fights, showing so little that a baby could out do a whole ninja battalion. I keep writing in the hope that I'll find something other than the daughter. I guess not. See, the basic flaw is that he wouldn't be as self-destructive as he is if he were as heroic as he is.

Nice build up, ridiculous ending

Author: arlev-1 from United Kingdom
7 November 2005

When all's said and done, the suspense build-up and chase has been done a thousand times over but it seems to work in this movie until the last twenty minutes when I have two gripes. First, the special effects ain't all that special - that's a real let down for a film that has some well shot action scenes prior and decent suspense. Second, the most implausible action finale (which I won't relate so i don't spoil it for anyone). Surely something more probable could have been thought of? Not to mention the contradictory threat which couldn't have occurred. For what began as a decent film, it was a real shame to be let down so badly at the end.

Wet Powder, Powerful Powder

Author: tedg (tedg@FilmsFolded.com) from Virginia Beach
20 June 2003

Spoilers herein.

This little disaster probably resulted from 9-11. I get the impression that the project was halted halfway through and was just shoved out in this form.

No great loss. But it does have two interesting elements.

The first is Lena Olin. I think she is one of the most interesting woman in film. Some talent, deep training, cinematic poise. I appreciate actors who understand levels. She does, but doesn't quite have the chops to pull them off, so you can see in her eyes the intent. It is an exotic seduction.

The second is this director who seems to be on the "artistic" edge of TeeVee production. He does a lot of adventurous things with the camera for no apparent reason, but then sometimes it clicks. For instance, the opening sequence is pretty thrilling in a Karwai manner: all black and white except for red architectural elements. No angle natural, no perspective right angled, no movement of humans in any way related to the position of the camera. Again, the same thing when one witness is caught and killed by the mean old Army guys.

I get the impression that this could have been worth watching for these two elements of style if the project had been funded enough for someone to wrestle this director's impulses into shape.

Ted's Evaluation -- 2 of 4: Has some interesting elements.