IMDb > "Yes, Dear" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Yes, Dear" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Didn't like it.

Author: Nicky from Europe
12 October 2010

I read the other reviews, and I'm amazed that a lot of people like it. I' m watching it as I write this, and I don't like it. The characters are obnoxious and annoying, I mean the main two Greg and his wife. The other couple is OK, but even they can't save the show. Everything is so forced, and I didn't laugh at all. And a lot of stuff can make me laugh! I mean, I know that it's kinda old and everything, but it's not that old to be that bad. I don't wanna be harsh, but you know, I gotta be. The curly short hair of that main women is just bad. One thing I do actually think is good about the show, is that it does in some way show a pretty normal family, underneath all that forced comedy and storyline that is awful. Anyway, yeah, it is a classic sitcom, so I know why it's that bad. Still, not worth of my time.

Should Be Better

Author: Pocketplayer from Middle TN
13 June 2006

I am always on the look out for a good comedy...it's my way of relaxing. This show has all the pieces but falls flat and very short. The writing is awful. So many lines don't fit the context of the characters. In fact, that's really the issue here…the characters have never been developed. Some of the lines these actors are given is just pitiful…and the cast isn't skilled enough to pull it off. There are some good episodes but never without awkward moments. It's a shame because the cast is as good as it needs to be. Maybe they needed a good director or more effort put into the show. It has all the ingredients to be good, but it just isn't. The show runs more like a sketch than a developed sitcom. They've been at this for years now…and unlike other successful comedies, the first year is hard to watch…but they develop. Not with "Yes, Dear." It's like a continuous first year run. I'd be embarrassed to read some of the lines they are given. At least they get good bank for the show...most likely it will be the last time they get work.

So funny, I laugh so hard that Tears run down my face!!!!

Author: Lana Morales from cleveland, ohio
17 November 2004

Yes, Dear is one of the funniest sitcom's on TV today. I watch it on tbs every Mon-Fri usually all the episodes if I can. Hard to believe I generally don't even like TV!! But Love Yes, Dear. Everyday I can just about guarantee to "BUST A GUT" Laughing so hard!! I am a nurse and all of my patients love the show too. I turn it on at work and we all "CRACK UP". I don't know why this show isn't on prime time.. it is way funnier than most of the shows that are running now. Who knows? everybody that I know loves the show, maybe they just need to advertise it more. I was out in CA. earlier this year, wish I could of went to the set, and possibly met the cast. Maybe next time..

Very funny!

Author: SilentBob GnR from Cedar Lake, IN
5 January 2002

This is one of the few shows I can get a laugh out of. I really enjoy it, and the characters are very believable. I look forward to every Monday just to see this show! I highly recommend this show to anyone that has a sense of humor, or that just needs a good, hearty laugh.

This show grows on you like a fungus

Author: Scott B (bohead@cablemo.net) from St Louis, MO
19 December 2004

I started watching this show as it was a rerun on TBS in the afternoon when I was working 2nd shift. It was on before I went to work when absolutely nothing else worth watching is on. I recognized the Jimmy character from the ESPN commercials in which he was "the Rick". Anyway, while I was watching the show I was thinking how lame it was. The acting is not very good, and I was constantly making fun of the Greg character for being a dork. The kids on the show were not coached well, and just blurted out their lines like they road the short bus to school. At any rate, after time, and a few episodes, I realized that the Greg guy plays his role to a T; he is a dork. And Jimmy is great as the slob. Some of the writing is not half bad either. The kids act a little better as they were older. Both of the girls that play the wives are not bad, they fit in well. I like to watch the show now, I really like the huge differences between the Jimmy and Greg characters. Jimmy is definitely the best character though, and funniest.

Refreshing Change

Author: kazar-2 from Vancouver, British Columbia
29 January 2001

I have to state that this show is very refreshing change from other shows that shall remain nameless. The cast is great. The script is well written. I hope others will tune in to it on a weekly basis because it deserves recognition as the best comedy in a new series for 2000/2001

Funny show that grows on you

Author: MN_Movie_Critic from Minnesota
15 April 2004

No offense to anyone who can't follow the plot - but give me a break.

This is an easy show to follow and can be easy to predict.

However, it has good lines and is funnier then most garbage on TV. It doesn't have the most talented cast, but they this CBS show is part of the reason they are kicking butt on the other networks - it is better then most shows currently on TV.

The show is best when Jimmy & Greg are at odds over something. Some of Greg's day-dreaming scenes are hilarious (that his son still wore a diaper as a teenager, needing help with girls, etc..) The kids they have on the show should get less lines - as they are weak.

Hold Your Nose

Author: sh33na from MidWest
15 December 2002

Pee-U. The laughtrack is beyond annoying, not to mention that this show is not funny. A few cute quips, but nothing substantial. The in-laws are funnier than the "stars" and that's not saying much. Save yourself the bother, it won't be around for much longer. Old B&W reruns seem to be the best choice for Sundays - still.

NO DEAR FOR THIS SHOW

Author: afijamesy2k from Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 October 2000

This Awful Kate & Allie wanna-be has terrible performances and one of the worst teleplays i've seen in the show, look at this Mike O'Malley has a bad reputation in this show, (remember Mike o'Malley show), an early contender for one of the years worst tv shows.

Entertaining But Irritating

Author: Mr_Sensitive from THAILAND, BANGKOK
26 September 2005

I do watch lots of Yes, Dear. For what I can say is the show is not very consistence funny. The good thing is it seems to get better. I mean less annoying.

Brief: A story about a man (Greg) and his wife and her sister, and her husband tried to lives under one roof. Unfortunately his wife sister and her husband are of a little nut (according to him).

Greg is one of the most selfish, annoying, and irritating characters that you'll ever see. Watching him you'll get very irritated and frustrating. Good things is, it seem to get lesser by season.

There is nothing really standout in the show, so I can't really say what to look forward to. The actors are alright to watch and the story of each episode is mostly full of Greg complaining about something.

Recommendation: It Can Be Funny At Time.

Rating: 6.5/10 (Grade: C)

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]