IMDb > "Yes, Dear" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Yes, Dear" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Classic Type-A vs. Type-B conflict

Author: budikavlan from Irving, TX
19 July 2003

I honestly can't figure out why the critics are not only disparaging of this show, but actually aggressively hostile toward it. I would be the last person to claim "Yes, Dear" is a classic of television comedy, but it is a consistently funny show, with a very simple, archetypal conflict. I get regular laughs from "Yes, Dear," regularly trashed by critics, while I've never laughed a single time at "Everybody Loves Raymond," which critics slavishly promote. YD is about a pair of couples, two sisters and their husbands, who live together in Los Angeles. The older sister and her husband are lazy, irresponsible slobs who live in the guest house of the younger sister and her husband, who are fastidious to the point of neurosis. Most of the comedy derives from this dichotomy. The husbands work for a movie studio (another source of laughs), and both couples have children. All three sets of grandparents are played by familiar comedic character actors and show up several times each season. Obviously, personal taste governs what one watches on television (something critics have generally forgotten), but if ever a show has gotten a raw deal from the critics, "Yes, Dear" is the one.

Well-cast,well-written and not TOO gimicky

Author: S.R. Dipaling from Topeka, Kansas, USA
22 October 2005

Sitcoms,in my opinion,are pretty easy to mess up,and that's when producers are TRYING to make a good show. With that in mind,one might be fooled into believing a show like "Yes,Dear" would be something akin to,oh,say,"According to Jim","My Wife and Kids" or "Reba"(i.e.bland,uninspired comedies surrounding family units). But then,in my opinion,one would be mistaken. Successful Studio executive Greg Warner(the underrated Anthony Clark) and his lovely wife Kim(Jean-Louisa Kelly) decide to take in Kim's sister Christine(Liza Snyder) and her husband Jimmy(Mike O'Malley),who are strictly working class. The cultural and personality clash becomes the weekly friction that peppers the show's premise. But the writing and the casting of the show is so spot-on that only the most hostile to t.v.sitcoms would not get much enjoyment out of this show. Not a great show,but for network sitcoms,it's plenty watchable.

It's entertaining

Author: rockford33 from Oakville, Ontario
6 June 2003

This show succeeds at what it attempts: mindless comedy. Perhaps if you are "educated" you consider yourself above the humour, but I enjoy watching it. I can think of worse ways to spend half an hour. The premise is unlikely but entertaining. It's certainly better than those "reality" shows that are reproducing madly! Consider me a fan.

Give it a chance! It's worth a try!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
21 July 2003

I just watched a repeat episode of Yes, Dear and I was impressed with the improvement since it's debut. I would have preferred that Anthony Clark have remained on Boston Common which was a better and funnier show on NBC but they canceled it after a few seasons. Yes, Dear has improved over the time and striving to be better. It is one of the few comedies that gets better than worse with time. CBS was unwise to cancel this show for John Goodman, Jean Smart, Ed Asner, and Olympia Dukakis in Center of the Universe. Yes, Dear may not be the greatest sitcom but it is certainly better than Center of the Universe. I could not understand CBS' decision to cancel it in the first place. I love the guest appearances of Vicki Lawrence and Tim Conway as Clark's parents in the series. They are terrific company. Of course, Yes, Dear could better. But for a sitcom to work in television, it needs time to evolve. Yes, Dear may never become Everybody loves Raymond but it is worth a half-hour to watch. These are likable characters and the cast does their best in bringing light-hearted humor to television.

What's not to like?

Author: LoyalGrobanite from United States
14 March 2005

This sitcom is so great; Anthony Clark's character, Greg Warner, has an amusing sardonic hilarity about him. Greg's wife, Kim (Jean Louisa Kelly) is awfully active and has a "I'm sweet, but don't mess with me" manner about her that makes her family all the more to love. Kim's sister, Christine (Liza Snyder) and her husband Jimmy (Mike O'Malley) have such a happy-go-lucky oar around them that just adds to the humor of most of the time, very real state of affairs that go on around the Warner house-hold.The children on the show also add to the comedy that is in fact, Yes, Dear; they often mirror that of what they see being done by their parents and always ends with great laughs. I don't remember when or how I found this show, but I'm really happy I did. The show has a blend of adult humor and safe humor that would satisfy almost anyone. The show airs on Wednesdays on 9:30 on CBS. Reruns of the show are on Monday through Friday on TBS, channel 247 for satellite viewers, at 4:30 and then a following episode after that. They also show some on UPN 65 at 9:30 and then one following at 10. I recommend this show for anyone to watch.

Below Average

Author: adham-khairy from Alexandria, Egypt
4 September 2006

This is yet another sitcom that is trying to play on the "family problems" string. Well, people, its enough. We have already had a lot of sitcoms like this and nothing is going to beat stuff like "everbody loves Raymond" or "Malcolm in the middle".

Grig and Kim who are supposed to be the center of this show are the most boring thing in it. Grig enjoys humiliating his brother-in-law in every possible chance and sometimes for no reason at all that the whole situation loses its comedy. Kim is not at all funny and is trying to look neurotic, something like "monica" in "friends" bus she fails miserably. Atually, if it wasn't for Jimie and Christine the show would've been a complete failure. Jimie is the really funny guy in the whole show and his son too. Christine is just hot! and she's one of the few women on TV who are truly funny! Its a nice show to see between to other sitcoms to fill up a half an hour gap in your life. But would I stay at home to see it? Absolutely not.

For more comments on sitcoms and for my opinion on what makes a great sitcom, visit my website: http://obscuremovies.blogspot.com

just sort of there

Author: Don from United States
15 March 2006

I work for a local TV station, which airs this show in syndication. Two times a day, actually. Needless to say, I've seen just about every episode of this sitcom, most of them 3 or more times. When you say that you're confused as to why this show has remained in a primetime slot for 6 years running, well, I'm right there with you. There's just practically nothing in this show that hasn't been done somewhere before, with better actors. Think about it in this sense. We all knew it was Courtney Cox's name on the bank account at home, but she convinced us she was "Monica." Do you watch "24" and think "Looks like David from 'the Lost Boys' is gonna save the day!" No. Why? Because Kiefer Sutherland is able to convince his audience that he is, indeed, "Federal Agent: Jack Baur." I could go on forever here. Ted Danson as "Sam Malone." Michael Richards as "Kramer"… heck, even the Cosby kids were convincing.

The cast of "Yes, Dear" are just that... cast members reading cue-cards. And boy, can you tell. Next time you watch it, take note of the fact that (unless it's a guest like Tim Conway) the actor is almost never looking at the person they're speaking to. Nope. They're looking down at their shoes. Especially Anthony Clark. But a lot of it has to do with the writing. In a lot of cases, the lines are just too darn long. I mean, you can actually hear the actors get winded as they struggle to push out these 40-word sentences hoping that the audience will get this incredibly unoriginal joke that could have been funnier and easier to get out if the writers had taken the time to sit down and edit a few needless words out of a line that's so excessively long that you've forgotten just what in the heck I was talking about anyway. Another post mentioned that the children are poorly coached as well. You got it. A 3 year old may struggle a bit, but these kids are like 8 years old now. I know they're just kids, but after they look at the camera 3 or 4 times during a single line, I lose my patience. They're just plain awful.

I will say that the show is good at laughing at itself, in other words, it doesn't take itself very seriously. So it's pretty hard to hate it. But it's just a generally boring show, with tired comedy and uninteresting characters. And why are they uninteresting? Because unlike the Friends, the Cheers gang, the Huxtables and others… these characters don't evolve whatsoever. Their lives don't really change. I mean, say I watch some random episode of "Friends," for instance. Even if I'm only kinda familiar with the show, I'll have an idea what season I'm in, based on what's happening to any given character. If I see Monica and Chandler sharing a bed, for instance, I know I'm 5 or so seasons into the plot. If I see that Theo still lives in his room upstairs, I know I'm in the early seasons of Cosby. But with Yes, Dear, it doesn't seem to matter. Again, nothing really happens to any of these people. And no, adding another kid to the mix doesn't change anything. It's just another 4 year old reading a cue-card. Sometimes that worked in sitcoms, but not here. There's PLENTY of rugrats in this show, and they all may as well be wearing bags over their heads, because they're all the same uninteresting kid. Again, just like the other entries, I'm amazed this show hasn't been given the axe yet.

A hidden gem!!

Author: nico08 from United States
30 September 2010

I just started watching reruns of this show, I never watched it while it was on and to be honest, i don't even remember when or what channel it was on.

I stumbled onto it about 2 years ago and i absolutely love it. Anthony Clark is hilarious as Greg Warner and i always thought his stand-up was really funny. The rest of the cast is spot-on and Jiummys friend Billy is awesome in the episodes hes in.

I personally don't understand how people didn't like it, the writing was really funny. It has risen to one of my top 5 favorite sitcoms of all time.

One of my favorites

Author: diablocookie from United States
9 November 2006

These days it is rare to find a sitcom that is consistently entertaining.I watch this every day in the afternoon. It is very funny, and I have yet to see a mediocre episode. The contrast of the two couples works very well, and the timing is also excellent. In addition, I find that unlike many sitcoms, although it includes a laugh track, they do turn on the laugh track to try to force moments to be "funny," and it does not have 1 minute long laughing that makes the moments awkward (like everybody loves Raymond, which I do not understand.) This show is a gem, but not many people have heard of it. This makes me upset, because I think if more people saw this show, then it would be a larger success. In my area, "Yes Dear" is on T.V on TBS on weekdays starting at 4 o clock.

Hilarious

Author: SpideyTerry from Ardmore, PA
2 October 2000

Well, I've seen the Pilot episode and I'm convinced. Yes, Dear is a pretty hilarious show. The cast is great, particularly Anthony Clark and Mike O'Malley. They have a great chemistry together. I hope this show succeeds. I'd like to see more of it.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]