IMDb > "Night Visions" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Night Visions" More at IMDbPro »

I really liked this show and now I hate the Sci-Fi Channel

Author: Rekrul from New England
27 July 2002

I knew when Fox started airing this show that they'd already decided not to make any more episodes of it, but I figured they'd at least air the ones they had and I could tape them. I missed one and then Sept. 11th happened before they could air the last three. When the schedule finally returned to normal, Night Visions was nowhere to be found. I kept hoping that they'd finally air them eventually and then I heard the Sci-Fi Channel had picked it up.

I happily started checking the schedule each week to see if it was an episode I needed and finally the one I missed was going to be on. It wasn't, they played repeats of The Dead Zone instead. I figured that they'd play them eventually, even if it was in a lousy timeslot. Now they've done something so low, I have trouble expressing how angry I am.

Tonight SFC aired a supposedly original 'movie' called Shadow Realm. I then discovered that this was nothing more than 2 episodes of Night Visions with the original titles and intros removed and SFC's name plastered on it.

This is a bald-faced *LIE*. SFC had absolutely nothing to do with this 'movie' other than hacking up the episodes and slapping their name on it! I consider this outright theft. They'd probably argue that since they bought the rights to it, they can claim it to be an original, but how many people would accept it if I were to buy the Mona Lisa and proclaim it to be my original work? No, I'm not comparing Night Visions to a priceless work of art, but the principle is the same and it deserves to be seen the way the creators intended.

Because of this, you can be sure that you will never see those two episodes (Patterns/Maze, Harmony/Voices) in their unedited form, because that would show the SFC to be the liars they are. That's not just an opinion, it's a fact. They lied about creating this 'movie'.

I hope that the IMDB approves this comment because I think it's important for fans of this show to be aware of just how low the SFC really is.

Great Killed Show

Author: MovieMilhouse21 from Phoenix
8 August 2003

This was like The Twilight Zone meets The X-Files, times 10. It was such a great show and I was so p***ed when it was killed.

There were so many big name celebrity guests like Lou Diamond Phillips, Carey Elwes, Marla Sokoloff, and others. I loved every episode but my favorite would have be an episode where these three kids get into an accident but somehow get a second chance.

I also like the episode where Marla Sokoloff thinks that she sees ghost who really isn't a ghost at all. I wish they hadn't killed it.

Fright Vision

Author: tom sawyer (sawyert2003@yahoo.com) from Waterford, Michigan
22 July 2003

This was a very interesting series. It reminded me of the Twilight Zone with a touch of the X-Files. The story I remember most is Bill Pullman playing an army scientist or specialist who with the army surrounds some kind of alien life forms that look like something out of the pioneer days. He somehow finds a way into the bubble like vehicle or area in his own quest to find a simpler more happy life. Instead he gets eaten. Whoa what a series! It was eerie like Tales of the crypt and Twilight Zone, but had a little more gore, blood and guts to it. This series is in a long line of short lived but not forgotten horror anthologies that entertain and fright.

So scary I forgot to breathe. . .

Author: allisjames from United States
14 February 2007

Night Visions was a much underrated show shown on the Sci-Fi network. This was one scary show, much better then the remakes of Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits. This show was more in line with the old Twilight Zone/Night Gallery episodes. Not all of the episodes were great, but each had its own charisma. I was hooked on the first episode featuring Bridget Fonda. At a time when I had almost given up on the new horror shows, this one broke new ground and gave me new hope. It's a shame that it did not last. I haven't been this captivated since the Ole Dark Shadows series. I love a good scare, and this show delivered. Great actors, great writing, and great directing. Night Visions is a must see.

Very Entertaining, Excellent Casting.

Author: kasperick from Los Angeles
28 October 2004

I caught a Sci-Fi Channel marathon of this series, and was very pleasantly surprised. If you are a fan of The Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Night Gallery, Amazing Stories, Tales from the Crypt, and the like... this is a must see. With many of these types of compact suspense series, it's often hit or miss with each story - sometimes highly satisfying, sometimes disappointing. But, I found each episode in this series extremely entertaining, and well acted. It's no wonder with the consistent caliber of cast, including: Bill Pullman, Brian Dennehy, Bridget Fonda, Aidan Quinn, Natasha Lyonne, Lou Diamond Phillips, Chad Lowe, Jerry O'Connell, Sherilyn Fenn, Randy Quaid, Jay Mohr, Jamie Kennedy, Cary Elwes, Luke Perry, Pam Grier, Jack Palance, Stephen Baldwin, and MORE. The only unappealing portion of the show is Henry Rollins' hosting. Even as a fan of Henry, I found him to be ineffectively uptight and out of place in this role. There are 26 thirty minute episodes, each edition featuring two episodes. It's a shame this didn't last - I think it could have had a pretty good life!

Heavyhanded and uneven, but fun

Author: balkaster from United States
5 July 2004

I didn't discover this until it began airing on Sci-Fi (and I quite agree with Rekrul about Sci-Fi misleading viewers by claiming productions as their own -- they made similar claims with "Strange World" [a series that ran on ABC for half a season three years prior to Sci-Fi claiming it as their own], "Cube 2" [an international production in wide release that couldn't secure a distribution deal in the US], "Riverworld" [adaptation of a Phillip Jose Farmer novel that was doomed when Alex Proyas left the project and was bound for direct-to-video release until Sci-Fi grabbed it] and all of their cheesy Saturday afternoon monster movies that would have gone direct-to-video if Sci-Fi hadn't snapped up the rights). "Night Visions" was a bit heavyhanded with the morality lessons, something that "The Twilight Zone" did with a light touch and as an afterthought. But if you could overlook that, some of the stories were quite effective (and many were not, either lacking a strong ending or simply not being believable). The guest cast was literally stellar, including some of the leading lights of the indie film movement as well as more mainstream actors, which gave it some sort of post-modern credibility. The acting was always solid. Somehow Henry Rollins didn't really work as the host -- he's a competant actor, why did it seem like he was phoning it in? He may have fit the indie sensibility of the show, but he was positioned in the mode of the classic moralist anthology host ala Serling, and he just didn't seem to rise to the task...in fact he seemed uncomfortable in the role. I can't picture the guy in a suit, but I think the t-shirt and tats combo also worked against him (but how else would you dress Henry Rollins?).

"Tales From The Crypt" for the new millennium.

Author: Aussie Stud from Providence, Rhode Island
12 July 2001

The premise for this show is simple. You take a pinch of "The X-Files", blend it with some "Amazing Stories" and throw in a dash of "Tales From The Crypt" and voila, you have a fresh new series based on the supernatural and unexplained with guest actors, guest directors and a creepy host (well, that is if you consider Henry Rollins to be creepy).

But alas, this is probably about the 5000th TV show to hit the air since television was invented and just about everything about this show seems either unoriginal or enters the 'been there, done that' territory because so many shows before it has dabbled in the same subject matter.

Unlike "Tales From The Crypt" where the host was the fun and always hilarious Crypt Keeper, here we have a sombre and straight-to-the-point Henry Rollins (of the Rollins Band) presenting each story with a quick foreword. Each story blends mystery, suspense and most of the time, death, together to make for a half hour episode of fun. Unfortunately, most of the stories are extremely predictable and the endings don't always come as a surprise. But still, it makes for good Summer filler, and seeing guest actors meeting a sorry demise at the end of each episode is always fun.

FOX - Keep this one on the air!

Took a while to get used to Rollins

Author: borg1005 (oatka01@yahoo.com) from Arizona, USA
27 November 2005

This series is better than Outer Limits, which I found to be too preachy, and the later Twilight Zone which was just LAME.

Whoever cast Rollins as the Serling-like MC should get his knuckles rapped. Being from a later generation I didn't know who Rollins was and thought the guy had to be a relative of the producer - wooden as a post.

I ended up overlooking his part and concentrated on the shows, which by and large, seemed geared towards the younger (college) set.

The one episode I thought unsettling was "Bitter Harvest", but then Jack Palance could read the telephone book and scare the bejabbers out of you. Evil oozes out of his pores in this one. Check out his first performance as Walter Jack Palance in the 1950 "Panic in the Streets" and you can spot his brilliance in making villainy come so naturally.

I particularly like "The Maze", not only for the weird story, but for the wild looking buildings that I guess are on the Eugene, OR campus. The architecture is striking, and the way they were filmed, almost alien. Then, it also had my favorite whacko, Amanda Plummer.

That being said, my all time favorite is "Patterns" with Malcolm McDowell giving a bravura performance as the patient with a problem and Miguel Ferrer giving a solid believable job as the psychiatrist. I have since driven my family equally nuts by saying, in Malcolm's tone, the innocuous "Five is nice." at the darndest times.

SciFi channel, as of late 2005 runs a marathon of these every so often so I am able to gradually build up the collection, even of the so-so episodes. I suggest you do the same as these types of shows are not getting any better.

All in all, not a bad attempt at a genre that has been milked dry. It is particularly enjoyable in that to my mind, the acting by unfamiliar faces has all been credible, and as above, sometimes outstanding. I'll take it over Outer Limits or the later Twilight Zone any day.

Another horror anthology series that didn't last

Author: Judexdot1 (judexdot1@yahoo.com) from Minneapolis MN USA
2 March 2004

I really didn't hope for much from this show, because these kind of shows usually don't work that well, since about the time that Rod Serling died. I started with the episode that Bill Pullman acted in/directed, and found it a pleasant surprise. When they had Joe Dante directing, I really got interested, but I think it was only airing for about a month and a half. Henry Rollins holds a special place in my heart, (I saw a LOT of Black Flag shows!), but he was a rather poor Rod Serling substitute. I guess we file this one next to a whole lot of similarly themed shows that really didn't fly, from "Darkroom" on down the line. I hope that the powers that be will keep trying for this sort of show, although I have to say that most of the "Twilight Zone" revival attempts have been pretty bad.

--Judexdot1--

Three episodes not to miss

Author: petr_sfv
24 May 2007

Night Visions was a passable horror/sci show. A pity it lasted just one season: while it was not astounding, it was always watchable and sometimes even memorable. It did not deserve to be cancelled so early.

Most episodes were decent: I'd give an average rating of 6.5 out of 10. There were a couple of clunkers BUT also some little gems. My three favourites are: - A View through the Window, with Bill Pullman: it starts as a fantasy romance but there is a creepy twist; - Patterns, with Malcolm McDowell as a patient with OCD; - Bitter Harvest, with the late Jack Palance: grim and unsettling.

The biggest problem is how, once you realize every episode has a twist ending, you start to expect it - and often guess it halfway through.

6.5/10