IMDb > "Grosse Pointe" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Grosse Pointe"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Grosse Pointe" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Great show, shame it didn't last longer

Author: icehole4 from Irving, TX
19 March 2003

Pretentiously angst-ridden teenager shows have always taken themselves way too seriously - and that leaves them open to a parody. Grosse Point delivered such a masterful send-up of life on and off one of these TV shows. The characters were well-crafted, and played by people who were very talented. They were based on real people in teen angst shows. Hunter Fallow, the kleptomaniac prima donna was loosely based on Shannon Daughtery; Quinton King, the sex addict was loosely based on Jason Priestly; Courtney Scott, the clueless ditzy blonde was loosely based on Courtney Thorne-Smith. Funniest of them all was Dave the stand-in, who had to take on the most stupidest of jobs for pay (such as being in the Michigan J. Frog costume for a party in one episode.)

It lasted too short a time to really get a good following. I'm sure that if WB had treated it like NBC treated Cheers (in Cheers' first season, it was the lowest rated show in its time slot) Grosse Pointe would still be around today.

Grosse Pointe Rules!

Author: JThomas-2 from Atlanta, GA
5 January 2001

I am 38 years old who truly has hated all the old teeny bopper soap operas that have been on TV for too long - so a show that pokes fun at them is right up my alley! Grosse Pointe really knows how to stick it to the powers that be with this show. The show within a show idea and having older actors playing teenagers is really hilarious - plus - talk about eye candy! That these people can walk and talk at the same time is a miracle! The women are just too pretty and the men are just too buff. The dialogue is great and the delivery is appropriately wacky and often deadpan. You've just got to see this show to appreciate it!

Please do not cancel this show!!!!! This is one of the brightest spots in an otherwise doldrum wasteland.

Excellent TV Show!!! (A Must See)

Author: jimmyplm from Chapel Hill, NC
19 February 2001

So far "Grosse Pointe" seems to be one of those yet undiscovered treasures on television today. This sitcom has it all--a beautiful and funny cast, clever writing, romance, and hilarious comedy. How could you go wrong by watching it?

I personally love the character named Hunter (the one you love to hate). She gives Karen on "Will & Grace" a run for her money as the biggest sitcom diva out there right now.

Dave and Marcy also make the show a lot of fun with their sweet-natured characters. I really enjoy the episodes that center around these two's star-crossed situation.

Do yourself a favor and check out the best kept secret on primetime television. This show often seems even better than the shows that it parodies. If you like "Dawson's Creek," "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Melrose Place," "90210," or "Felicity," then you will LOVE "Grosse Pointe."

"Grosse Pointe" rox my sox!

Author: applehuntr from U.S.A.
16 February 2001

I wrote a review of this show after the series premiere saying it was pretty funny. "Grosse Pointe" has made it's place on my weekly watchin' list. It is absolutely friggin' hilarious. Most of the actors on the show do not have much of a resume, but they are all extremely talented and this show should make their careers take off. The show can successfully mix in drama, something I was hesitant to see, but was surprised. Lindsay Sloane is an excellent actress, and is the stand out. Irene Malloy is also very funny. This show has great dialogue, and is very witty, something I can't get enough of (That's one of the main reasons I watch 'Popular'). It has managed to stay on the air so far, but with a sucky time slot that I can't seem to remember. The WB doesn't seem to realize what a gem it has on its hands, it'll give 'Jack and Jill' a good time slot AND a second chance, even though it does not deserve it in the least. "Grosse Pointe' is up there with "Buffy" and "Popular". Watch now before they cancel this show.

Smart sharp satire

Author: Maze from Auckland, New Zealand
8 September 2003

This is a brilliant send-up of Beverly Hills 90210 and clearly a case of Darren Star getting the nauseating 90210 out of his system. Each episode is perfection and stands up to repeat viewing. If you like clever cutting satire like the Simpsons you'll like this.

Australia Loves Grosse Pointe.

Author: myers_freak from Sydney, Australia
22 August 2004

Grosse Pointe is (was) one of the funniest shows ever.

It was first screened in Australia 3 years ago and was recently screened on Cable so I caught up on all the episodes I missed. The Characters were all very lovable especially the unlikeable ones such as Johnny (Al Santos) and Hunter (Irene Molloy). The show should have been given at least another season because even The O.C. was originally a flop on Australian television but a network saw the potential the show had and gave it a chance, now it's a ratings bonanza. I know it's too late to save this show but I hope the WB realises what a mistake they made by canceling it. I Just SO hope they release it on DVD.

How, how could they cancel it???

Author: ArtistGrl
29 May 2003

This is only the funniest TV show I've seen since 'Married With Children' ended!! I admit I didn't watch it when it was first aired, but a couple of weeks ago I caught it on late-night reruns and was hooked straight away... little did I know that there were only a few episodes left to air! so after some checking up, I found out that it was that 'failed' TV show our local comedy channel bought after it had already been killed in the US, probably the reason it didn't get much advertising or attention here either.

Well, dear american broadcasting networks, who hold the future of the world's greatest series on your hands, I must ask you... why, oh why do you let such a great shows like Grosse Pointe end so quickly and on the other hand kept stuff like "Suddenly Susan" airing for so long? that is just beyond my comprehension...

Grosse Pointe had it all, comedy, parody, irony, a kind of a 'behind the scenes' look on Hollywood, great guest-stars, nice punches at the shows it made fun of (I loved the episode where Marcy "died")... everything... I wish there were some more seasons :(

Hilarious

Author: fordjessica from AUSTRALIA
13 September 2002

This has to be one of the most outrages funny show on TV ever. I mean it couldn't be funnier. The story line about Marcy never having an orgasm was so funny and Quentin's herpes. It's such a shame that they cancelled it. I think the Spellings were offended. They had the best guest stars, Kristen Davis, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Elizabeth Berkeley, Jason Priestly as the guy sex addicted anonymous. I loved Hunter, she was just a brilliant actress, and she used it. Great show, if you ever get the chance check it out.

Too bad it got canceled

Author: linanutshell from Oklahoma City, OK
10 June 2002

I watched this show all of my 6th grade year, when it was on, even though I had to stay up until 10PM (which doesn't seem late now, but it was when I had a lot of homework and did it in the morning). I always loved it, despite its faults. Granted, it's no West Wing, but it never claimed to be anything it's not. Even if the WB won't bring the show back, I wish it would play some reruns, for old times' sake.

Pretty funny new show

Author: applehuntr from U.S.A.
23 September 2000

The Season Premiere for Grosse Pointe was last night, and it is actually a funny show. It resembles the extremely funny "Popular", both shows are witty and mean-spirited, but GP doesn't try to mix a little bit of drama in there, but most likely that's a good thing since "Popular" is one of the only shows (on the WB) that can do that successfully. May be come one of the weekly shows I tune in to, if it can hopefully stay on the air.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]