IMDb > "Ed" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Ed"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Ed" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Can't get much better than this

Author: MatsH from Finland
24 May 2001

It's hard to believe that it's the Dave Letterman team who is behind this production. I like Letterman, but I had no idea the writers could reach this high.

Tom Cavanagh plays the big-time, big-city lawyer Ed Stevens who gets fired from his job and finds out that his wife is unfaithful to him in only one day. This makes him move back home to Stuckeyville where he begins to pursue Carol who he had a secret crush on in high-school. Besides Julie Bowen's Carol we also get to meet a whole gallery of interesting characters.

The best thing about "Ed" is the relaxed, realistic and humane style of the stories and characters. The writing is just superb. There aren't better TV shows at the moment, I guarantee you that!

On of the best shows on TV!

Author: Dave Van Houwelingen (dvanhouwelingen@hotmail.com) from Waterloo, Ontario
24 October 2000

After just three episodes, the TV show ED has quickly become one of my favorites. Having seen the previews for it, I wasn't expecting much- the premise struck me as stupid- a big town lawyer travels back to his small home town to win the heart of his high school crush, buys a bowling ally and opens a law practice in it. But I was surprised at how intelligent the show is. Like last years FREAKS AND GEEKS this is one of the few hour long comedies to actually sustain laughter throughout the entire episode. The cast is perfect- Tom Cavangh as Ed delivers a consistantly hilarious performance and Julie Bowen as Carol Vessey is gorgeous, but also finds hidden depths to her character. Gregory Harrison plays a great pompous ass as Carol's boyfriend. The show is witty and hilarious- a constant winner.

One of The Greats

Author: Big O-7 from Binghamton, NY
13 November 2001

NBC should thank their lucky stars that executive producer David Letterman lets them air this after what they did to him. In return for giving NBC 10 years of classic late night programming and then being denied The Tonight Show, Mr. Letterman - proving ever the gentleman - gives NBC one of the best shows ever put on tv. There is no profanity on ED, there are no torrid sex scenes, and the characters have to take responsibility for their actions. Sure, they're a little eccentric, but aren't we all? Who wouldn't want to own a bowling alley (and kiss Julie Bowen)? I sincerely hope that this show doesn't suffer the same fates as SPORTS NIGHT and THE JOB. The show is already up there with NORTHERN EXPOSURE and HOMICIDE and other all-time greats.

All the possibilities in the world!

Author: BigEd-4
11 October 2000

With all of the predictable and formulaic sitcoms on TV, what a refreshing joy it was to see something that dared to be different, to set its own course, to go its own way.

"Ed" is the charming account of a man's search for personal redemption by not looking where everyone's head says to go, but where his heart says. Ed Stevens has the day of his life when he is fired from his job as an NYC contract attorney and finds his wife with another man. He uses this as the opportunity to overcome his fears and pursue his dreams.

Returning to his home town of Stuckyville, he pursues his highschool crush, buys the local bowling alley and practices small town law.

A delight for dreamers and romantics of all ages and genders!

The best show on TV right now!

Author: Katharine Kennedy from Los Angeles, CA
8 January 2001

What can I say, "Ed" is probably the best show that has ever been put on television. The story lines are witty, every single character is lovable and the quirky dialogue keeps the viewers glued to the TV from beginning to end. I have never laughed out loud before until this show came along. Thomas Cavanagh, the guy who plays Ed exumes this certain charm that I think every single actor or actress tries to possess, but I think it's a born quality trait. The man is not only hilarious, gorgeous and a great actor, he makes the dialogue come to life. It seems like the part was written for him in mind. The chemistry between Ed and Carol, who is played beautifully and perfectly by Julie Bowen is incredible. The writers do a fine job of teasing us and giving us bits and pieces of their crush on eachother. I can't wait until they get together but the road there is just as much fun to watch!!! Tom Cavanagh is every girls dream and to see a man whose "Almost perfect" every Weds night is a thrill in itself. And like he said in the first episode, he is incredibly adorable. WATCH THE SHOW! I guarantee, you'll love it!

Hysterical Lucidity

Author: Schleprock
27 February 2003

This past episode CAPTAIN LUCIDITY, where Ed gets control of his dreams through 'lucid dreaming' - was absolute genius comedy. I was deep in hysterics. A nice change of pace from the usual guy/girl friction.

Through a 'controlled' dream-state, Ed (along with all the other lovable clowns on this under-appreciated show) navigates his romantic concerns and desires for Frankie, and usual heart-beacon Carol Vessey. Nice concept, eh? Well, the writers hardly settled for the concept alone. They ran with it Gump style!! Absolute brilliant use of the entire cast's character traits (though some 'Cheswick' moments were sadly ignored). I'd swear 'Ed Stevens' wrote the episode. What higher compliment can you pay to the writers? That was one impressive hour of entertainment, folks. Absolute comic brilliance. And to boot - a fine dramatic closing. When you're laughing along with a tear-jerker moment - you know you've been won over.

I'll bet ya 10 bucks you can't top that episode...

The Right Kind of Humour

Author: Rick Blaine from London
24 June 2001

Humour may perhaps be divided into two broad categories: the kind that gets laughs at the expense of others, and the kind that lets you see people as they really are, and gets you to enjoy them and laugh with them. Obviously the latter is better and makes us feel better about ourselves and everything. It is perhaps also more difficult to create: witness the cheap shots Leno and Letterman always stoop to. But Ed loves its characters, and they are a wonder to watch. And the red line through it all is the relationship between Ed and Carol (Julie Bowen, Happy Gilmore): everyone knows they are made for each other, but the writers know too that postponing the inevitable is what keeps us coming back.

Fulfillment of every young man's fantasy!

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
7 May 2001

I am a retired, grandfather with 5 grown children. So, why do I like the TV series, "ED", so much? Because almost every one of us who were boys in school can identify. We all had that secret "crush" on a pretty and popular girl, and felt inadequate to ask her out. For Ed, played by Tom Cavanagh, that girl was Carol Vessey, played by Julie Bowen, who now is a teacher at their old high school. After his divorce, Ed returns to Stuckeyville, meets up with Carol, is inspired to buy a bowling alley, and sets up his law office inside. "I am not a bowling alley lawyer. I am a lawyer, who also happens to own a bowling alley," insists Ed.

The writing is good and witty, and Cavanagh is perfect as "Ed". All the cast are fine, but my special favorites are Michael Ian Black as the enterprising bowling alley employee "Phil", and Justin Long as "Warren Cheswick", the geek who gets so flustered when he thinks he has a chance with the girl he likes. After failing to win the affections of "Miss Vessey." We always set aside time to watch "Ed", it is good entertainment and occasionally there is a meaningful storyline.

BTW, Julie Bowen is in "Happy Gilmore", plays the golf tour publicist who becomes Gilmore's (Adam Sandler) love interest.

(SPOILER: When the series was terminated, Ed and Carol were married first.)

"Charming" is the word

Author: Curly-27 from Los Angeles
16 October 2000

There was so much hype preceding this show that I decided to tune in on its debut night. I'm glad I did! Thomas Cavanaugh is like a modern day Jimmy Stewart. His character knows that his looks alone aren't going to get the girl, but creativity, endurance and treating her better than anyone has before will get the job done. The whole ensemble works well together and you feel like you're watching real people. The last time I fell in love with a show this fast it was a little-known show called "Friends" 6 years ago. We know how that turned out!!

Great Show with truly interesting people

Author: Claus Holm from Denmark
29 October 2003

One of the best shows in a long time. All the characters are just great. Ed is a loving and interesting person, great imagination. Julie Bowen is very very lovely (Its not only Ed who falls in love with her). In general the cast is great. What can I say, this show is just a pleasure to watch.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]