IMDb > "Doc" Pilot: Part 1 (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Doc" Pilot: Part 1 (2001)

1 of 88 Episodes | Next »

a project stressing retro formula

Author: shadowreviewer
3 March 2002

BILLY RAY CYRUS plays a doctor and is convincing in the role of a man with a hint of a childhood inferiority complex. Cyrus plays a down to earth man called upon to use his common sense to solve interpersonal problems between other people. Not a ER clone, the show is an ensemble piece focusing on a character played by Cyrus and his interaction with others; a "family" situational drama. One of the writers, I READ works at a restaurant on the side. A show I have seen once or twice. A good vehicle for cyrus. A show that would get panned by critics, cyrus plays a believable person.

"Clint Cassidy, Manhattan Medicine Man, the Legend Continues"

Author: akakara from Nevada
19 June 2001

A new TV series that is described using that dreaded phrase "family show" is immediately avoided by many viewers. This one should not be avoided. This show seems to have some of everything, including an unexpected star in Billy Ray Cyrus as "DOC". This show has all the elements of a big network hit. Watch it once and, chances are, you're coming back for more. DOC is a fun character and Billy Ray Cyrus is excellent. The country Doc transplanted in New York City gives some fun moments, of course. "Nurse Nancy" and "DR. Derek" are favorites in the excellent supporting cast. Also, there is some very good music to be heard in the background. All around, it is a very good show. Highly recommended.

Family Friendly

Author: lorrita from United States
15 February 2005

Doc is breath of fresh air in a world of sex and violence. This is a show that any family can watch safely. The violence is mostly off screen. Sex is mostly only discussed. Social issues like AIDS aren't covered in this first season but were in later shows.

Yes, Doc Cassidy and his friends are Christians and unapologetically so. They don't push religion they just live it. Most of this season shows that Doc is a flawed human being with issues. His anger gets in the way of his interpersonal relationships. His impatience keeps him in trouble with the hospital and HMO administrations.

Besides Bily Ray Cyrus is nice to look at.

Decent Movie/TV Show-Finally!

Author: Jacqueline Ritter from Chilliwack, BC, Canada
12 September 2002

It is so nice to finally have a show that I can watch with my 5 year old in the room and even share with him. I think some of this must be filmed in Toronto, as many of the actors have that S. Ontario accent, but the show and storylines are excellent and realistic. Even better than Dr. Quinn, because they're not afraid to mention God, and I thought nothing could replace that show. Give it a try, and you'll be happy you did.

Charming, witty, generous and good natured; I love Doc

Author: justpeachy629 from New York
17 March 2001

What a great show. Everything is wonderful - the acting, the story, the writing and directing. Billy Ray Cyrus is terrific; he is a natural actor and he is gorgeous. Claudette Mink is wonderful as his woman in the first show. I cannot think of a single complaint for this good hearted, wholesome show. It is a terrific doctor show. I love Doc.

Finally, a really good show for the whole entire family!

Author: bertie2 from Marrero, La.
23 April 2001

I think that Billy Rae Cyrus does have great possibilities as an actor, he is definitely the character that he is portraying in the new family series "Doc". It really is a refreshing show and I would definitely recommend it to everyone. The script is excellent and I enjoy hearing his music in the background. I surely hope that this show is here to stay.

"DOC" is a rarity on tv these days -it's GOOD!

Author: akakara
19 March 2001

DOC is a great new television show! Family television has a winner here. Don't be misled by that phrase ("family television"). This show can be an emotional roller coaster. It has a lot very funny moments, then it can effortlessly tug your heart strings. The acting is superb by all those involved. Billy Ray Cyrus is a wonderful surprise - he is SO natural, funny, charming, easygoing, and the perfect combination of tough and tender. Of course, being so handsome and sexy doesn't hurt either. As an added extra, there is some very, very good music going on in the background too. EXCELLENT SHOW! I hope the media doesn't ignore this treasure just because it isn't on one of the top 3 or 4 networks. It's worthy of major acknowledgment.

An excellent series that reveals the elements God wants us to portray

Author: bornagain51 from Canada
12 January 2005

I would like to compliment Billy Ray Cyrus on his portrayal of Doc. The entire show makes me smile and cry all at the same time. The content of this show is very wholesome and shows the way our creator wishes us to act.

There are not enough shows on TV like this one. If more people would watch this show maybe this world would become a better place. "Doc" is the kind of doctor I wish more were like.

If our hospitals or doctors office were run by the staff that are on this show people may not get so angry when waiting is necessary. If each of us would treat the other like Doc and the cast the world would be worth living in.

My mother, myself and many of my friends and family watch this show without fail every week. I truly hope this TV series lasts for a long long time as it gives me faith that there are some nice people in this world no matter race, creed or color.

May God bless the creators, writers, cast and crew and everyone else involved in the making of this wonderful show. It is full of positive messages and hope.

An exceptional show, done in good taste.

Author: alison-schulz from Canada
10 February 2006

I have completely enjoyed every show that I have seen in the TV series 'DOC". They are involving, motivating, inspirational, challenging, encouraging, fun and funny, family friendly, enjoyable for all ages. Even the reruns are enjoyable. Definitely my favourite TV show ever! I'm thankful to all involved in making this show--for their good judgment about what makes a great show. This is pretty much the only show that I watch...and I will continue to do so as long as it's being shown on TV (and maybe beyond that if I'm able to invest in all the DVDs eventually). The life lessons and moral content are refreshing. The Christian content is beyond what I tend to expect from TV...the icing on the cake! How about a reunion show or two???

Soooooo disappointed that the TV show has ended

Author: gail-23 from Canada
14 December 2005

There are very few shows on TV now that don't have excessive violence and unnecessary language. This is one of the Really good ones and it even provides viewers with something to think about. I can't remember when I have enjoyed a show as much as this. I think the casting is superb and wouldn't have changed a single character. I only hope that someone out there is listening and will make an effort to have this show return.

We only started watching it a few months ago and can't believe it ended. Andrea should have one her Gemini! She never missed a beat. Well done to everyone and Please consider coming back.