IMDb > "The District" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The District"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The District" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]

Totally awesome!

Author: bflafleur from United States
13 July 2006

In a world or mundane, sex-oriented, filthy, re-dos of boring movies and drama series, "The District" was the most refreshing and original creation since "Gunsmoke" and apple pie. When one considers the ever-growing heap of trash that emanates from today's "writers" (I use the term very loosely), it's amazing this program lasted 4 seasons. It was too good for the likes of Hollywood and that is probably what caused it's demise. (After all, THEY know what's best for us. Right??) True, the show was not perfect...but close. I felt that the issues of crime, faith, death and life were very balanced - without the issues of faith taking a beating as usual. The character of Jack Mannion set a standard that all others should strive to obtain and it was a joy to see his interaction with others. Great cast - REALLY sorry to see Danny go. Hope they make the series available on DVD.

Great New Show On CBS

Author: Benjamin Winn (bw99a@softcom.net) from California, United States
11 December 2000

I love this show, and I can see lots of other viewers enjoy this show just from looking at the Saturday night CBS ratings. The District usually is the top dog in the ratings for Saturday nights, even better than Walker, Texas Ranger, which is doing terribly right now.

Great Show but Hate That It Was on Saturday Night!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
4 May 2013

It was one of the last shows to air on a Saturday night as that is the lowest night on TV since people are out doing things like going to movies, shopping, eating, etc.

As really the show after the real life death of Lynne Thigpen, really just lost it. As despite the presence of lead actor, Craig T Nelson always a great but underrated actor. Still the platonic chemistry between them was the best. You could tell that both actors seem to enjoy one another.

As the show suffered really after she was gone. But it was one of the last shows to air on Saturdays. A regular show that was not a reality show. RIP Lynne, you are still missed!

Something Different, A Hybrid Cop Show; being half realistic, half Police Sci-Fi. But it has "COACH" (Craig T. Nelson) and that's good.

Author: John T. Ryan (redryan64@hotmail.com) from United States
19 December 2007

We've often heard that there is no such thing as "strict" fiction. There must be something to it; because we all use whatever we have stored up in our own gray matter. All of this comes from our own life experiences; ergo, anything we 'create' on blank paper has its origin in something we've seen, heard, smelled, tasted, felt or just lived.

As a good current example of a contemporary series that regularly makes use of "Right out of the Headlines" story lines and even brags about them; we present "LAW & ORDER.

That tag-line about being from headlines seems to fly in the face of the occasional caveat of: "The story in tonight's episode is strictly fictitious. Any resemblance to any persons, living or dead is purely coincidental." Oddly enough whenever this warning appears, the more the following hour drama is like a real life occurrence which is fairly recent.

As to "THE DISTRICT" (CBS, 200-2004), we don't point the finger at any one particular episode or any continued storyline; rather it is the very elemental make-up of the series and the characteristics of the main character, himself.

Big City Police Departments are often put under the command and direction of an outsider serving as Chief/Commissioner/Superintendent, or whatever title have you. And the one real life model that appears to have been used for Chief Jack Mannion (Craig T. Nelson) would be William Bratton, the present Chief of the Los Angeles Police Department. A native Bostonian, Mr. Bratton has served in several top cop posts in Boston, New York Transit Police, New York City Police and others. I'm proud to saw that he had applied for the job here, in Chicago, but wasn't successful. (That was our loss, not Chief Bratton's.) As far as Chief Jack Mannion, he too has been boss elsewhere and was a Uniformed Cop and then Detective in New York City. He also has had other experiences with other departments; so he's well educated, equipped and traveled in the Police World.

OUR STORY…….Arriving in Washington, in the District of Columbia (D.C. for short), newly appointed Chief of Police, Jack Mannion (Coach) begins to reshape the Departments Command Staff into what best reflects his own ideas of what the District of Columbia Department will perform and look like (No, Schultz, not in regards to race, color or gender. It means performance, tactics and results.) Chief Mannion soon discovers that, not everyone in Police HQ is on board with the new outsider's plans. The most prominent resistance was found to be coming from the guy who would be his number 2 in command of the Department. Deputy Chief Joe Noland (Roger Aaron Brown) had been acting Chief before Mannion's appointment and fully expected to get the post himself. After a brief period of friction, the two men settled all and the Deputy was as devoted to Mannion's program as anyone could be.

The new Chief immediately reached out to find officers to people his own immediate staff, and made an extraordinary maneuver, he found Administrative Clerk Ella Farmer (the Late Lynne Thigpen) and elevated her to the top level in order to run the department's computer system and especially, the War Room.

Whoa! "War Room? What that? The computerized War Room shown in "THE DISTRICT" is 2nd to none. Not even the President's War Room in DR. STRANGELOVE() had anything on this. Computer imagery, contact with the whole doggone District of Columbia, building floor plans and whatever else you can imagine. This is possibly either the most exaggerated item in the whole series or the most marvelous use of modern technology that there is in Law Enforcement.

As far as Realism, on a scale of 1 to 10, give it a 5. In the category of Enjoyment, give the series "THE DISTRICT" an 8.

Show started with potential but quickly sank into the muck and maudlin

Author: helica9 from United States
31 August 2013

I really liked this show in the beginning, and wanted to keep liking it as it went on, but was forced to finally give up on it as the creators gave its characters more bizarre responses to situations they found themselves placed in. For example, most likely not being Christians themselves, the writers of the show stupidly decided to make two of the main characters, Temple Page and Ella Fitzgerald, professed Christians, during home life and work. But these guys have no idea how to show the way true Christians, respond in times of crisis. Suddenly, when a drugged-up jerk accidentally kills Temple's fiancé, he blames the guy who killed her until he gets caught, and after that, for the rest of the series, blames it all on God! Jeez, whatever happened to suggesting that the Devil might have had a hand in it, or just being at the wrong place at the wrong time - after all, she worked at a trauma center in the worst part of the city. Sure, have a Christian, the first time something goes wrong, lose his faith. Smart! It really would have been better to have made these people highly moral souls, like we had on The Waltons. It's easier to accept a moral person falling from grace then someone who for 30 shows has claimed to be a Christian and suddenly and for the rest of the series quits and becomes this disgusting empty shell of a man. A moral person might find his morality once again, in time. A Christian will stumble, but when counseled, will most likely see the truth in things, and because of his years of study, that foundation will keep him firm and steady enough to find his way back. These writers just couldn't see that.

Then there's Ella - nice, kind Christian Ella - who can't stand the idea that her nephew won't get that little toy for Christmas that the store was supposed to have on hand and got so mad she called the cops on him! Great Christian humility - did she care about the other patrons in the store who didn't get their toys? No, it was all about her, and it always was in many other scenes, despite her being a Christian - even when it came to her boyfriend/fiancé/husband, and even nephew. Her job and loyalty to Mannion and the force always came before her loyalty to her family which was greatly supported by Mannion because his life was is such great shape from working that way - yeah, right! And after awhile, I just found it so hard to suspend disbelief at the acts Mannion was able to accomplish that most ordinary police chiefs would not have accomplished in the same situations because of all the bureaucratic red tape needed to cut through and palms needed to grease and every other compromise he refused to accept, in order to get half the things he got. He also burned so many bridges and made too many enemies to be as effective as he was that I finally could only accept that it was through the blessings of Hollywood chicanery that Mannion got all the bills and acts passed that he did.

Finally, those other cops, Nancy Parris and Phil Brander - god, I never heard such whiners in my life. They were more like cop-wannabes, and the day that Brander made Lt., I knew the world came to an end.

Not A Bad Show

Author: mal karma from Argentina
7 October 2002

Yet, I could name you a dozen other crime shows that are ten times better than The District, mostly Homicide, Third Watch, CSI, Law & Order and some X Files (sometimes it's more an FBI drama than supernatural sci fi).

Has a good casting except for the Ella Farmer and Temple Page characters and actors. They could change them in the next season and I wouldn't miss them or even notice the change. And not a bad script and some of the acting. They should just put some more supporting characters, or even leading ones. Or at least recurrent. Or at least remove some of them. Just saying.

One more thing, they MUST bring back Kitty the secretary (Scarlett Chorvat)

Overall, it's been done better but it is still a worth watching show.

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]