IMDb > "The District" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The District"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The District" More at IMDbPro »

Great drama and human emotion

Author: eyekinduit from United States
24 April 2005

I was in shock when I found out that The District had been canceled. It was my all-time favorite show, and I could not understand why a show of this quality would not be continued at least as long as Gunsmoke or The Johnny Carson show. Good grief, every single episode had a real life story line that held your interest, the characters were very, very real, and the actors were all extremely good, and each episode held me from start to finish. Mannion was truly a unique and delightful character, he was humorous, yet deadly serious about his mission. He was resourceful and intelligent, and his emotions ran the gamut of human experience- from deep love to intense hatred. His character was likable, respected, and admired, while you could laugh at him at the same time. Each of the other characters was very special, and they all blended together in this series so perfectly, so wonderfully that I am still scratching my head wondering why, why did they cancel it? While it is true that Lynne Thigpen was a central character in the series, and that her untimely death was a true loss to this series and to the world, I believe she could have been replaced by Sherri, or another character similar to Ella, so this was probably not the cause of the cancellation. Whatever the cause was, I think we have lost a truly great TV series by this shows cancellation. Craig T. Nelson- I love you & I miss your show & all of the other great characters, truly talented people.

A Good Show

Author: Marquessa from United States
3 May 2005

I think the real life death of Lynne Thigpen whose character was Ella Farmer is really what hurt the show. The relationship she and the chief had on this show was special. The combination of Nelson, Thigpen and Brown was excellent also. I was sad to see the show end but it just never felt right after "Ella" was gone. I have not been able to watch it much since the death of Lynne Thigpen but one day I do plan on pulling out the series DVD and watching the whole series. Maybe in one weekend. Well, that is if there is a DVD that is out for this series. I also enjoyed the regular guest role of Jean Smart as the chiefs ex-wife. It was a great series.

Smart and watchable

Author: ctomvelu from usa
27 September 2005

I rarely write about TV shows, most of which are not worth the celluloid to which they have been committed. THE DISTRICT was a rare exception. Loosely based on the exploits of a real police chief, each week the show completely immersed us in the life and workings of a big city police force, where the characters were all too human. Craig Nelson, not one of my favorite actors by a long shot, here found the character he was born to play, a no-nonsense police chief of deep emotions and complex personality. The supporting cast was a mixed bag of stereotypes straight out of BARNEY MILLER and HILL STREET BLUES, with the exception of the late veteran film actress Lynne Thigpen who stood out as Nelson's feisty and ultraloyal aide de camp. The show frequently dealt in tragedy, which may have resulted in its early demise, after only four seasons. Too bad. It was a near-great show, each episode filmed and framed like a theatrical movie. Once in awhile a situation or ending might seem a little too pat, and sometimes a little hokey, but we willingly went along for the ride because we felt for and with these dedicated officers of the law. What a show. It is sorely missed. Thank God for reruns, which is how I came to know this show as I work evenings. Same thing with the quasi-classic NASH BRIDGES.

I really like this show

Author: dbrazelt from USA
29 November 2005

Although I see it now as reruns, I try to never miss it each day. As a retiree, I have the privilege of watching daytime TV and this is among my very favorite shows. It is much better than the "soaps". I miss Ella. I have enjoyed Craig T. Nelson in each of his several great roles. In this role, he portrays a firm, decisive, leader who "does not suffer fools gladly." He's the kind of leader I really liked to work for. The stories each have morals and each member of the cast seem to be real people. I have spent some time in the D.C. area and appreciate the efforts that are portrayed there. I feel they are presented in an honest, balanced and entertaining way. Sorry that the series in only in re-runs.

Very Promising

Author: Jonas Y Jonasson (JYJ) from Hafnarfj, Iceland
7 January 2002

The District aired for the first time in Iceland tonight and i have to say that i was highly impressed with the show. Craig T Nelson is excellent in his role and hopefully this show will get better and better. Law and Order is on the top of my list for police shows but this show is very promising. Keep up the good work.

great series

Author: ross robinson from england
9 July 2004

i first heard about this show the year it was finishing (2004) i never knew nothing about it, as i watched it i saw a fimilar face, Craig T Nelson i remembered from the 2 Poltergeist movies. He looks great for a 60 year old now. I think he's a good actor and has done a great job with his work on tv and movies. I've only seen him in 3 things, which are Poltergeist, Poltergeist II: The other side and the District. I think the District is a fantastic series. It's a shame to see it finishing this year in 2004, only 4 years this show has been on, it started in 2000, i give this programme 10 out of 10 because i think it's a great programme to watch. Thank you Craig for doing a great series of this.

Craig T. Nelson makes this work!

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
22 March 2005

It really is Craig T. Nelson and his unique character that carry this TV-series.

The different episode's vary from bad to extremely good! My favorite episode's are the one's that have nothing to do with the main storyline throughout the entire series. The main storyline itself was not always very appealing to me but did not distracted from what was the best part of the series; Craig T. Nelson.

The rest of the character's I never really cared much about. With the exception Ella Farmer and Deputy Chief Joe Noland. For some reason all of the character's are extremely moralistic and always want to do everything exactly by the book. It was really irritating at points, particularly Nancy Parras (Elizabeth Marvel) never seizes to irritate me.

No, the writing and dialog's were really a weak spot at times but for reason it doesn't bring the quality of the series down.

I guess the series should already had stopped with the death of actress Lynne Thigpen. The show never really got as good as it was before after that. They quite pathetically tried to bring in a new kind of Ella like character but it really was a miserable attempt. Nobody could take Lynne Thigpen spot and could create such a character as she did.

All in all, despite me sounding negative about it, really a perfectly watchable TV-series mainly and probably only because of Craig T. Nelson.

Thank you for the hours of pleasure watching the show

Author: andor42 from United Kingdom
16 March 2005

Only started to watch the Show last year (2004)when it came on Halmark Loveeeeeeed the show very much Craig T Nelson is so funny and charming Where are that type of guys in real life? We only hear tonight (2005 march 16th) about Lynne (Ella) Loved her in the show and we expect to miss her very much.

Our sincere wishes to her family and friends for there loss.

Love the show and thank you for so many hours of pleasure we already had and have still to come in this country sorry to here the show has been axed but once again thanks for some lovely hours of enjoyment

Anne (ENgland)

Good Show

Author: somebode2002 from United States
23 January 2005

I stumbled onto "The District" a year ago and I can't stop watching it. Craig T. Nelson (from "Coach") does a great job as a hard-nosed chief of police who never gets mixed up about the difference between right and wrong. This show reminds me of a modernized version of "In the Heat of the Night". If you want a cop/legal show that you are not afraid for your kids to watch and learn from, than this is the show for you. While every once and awhile the show contains some adult themes, there is nothing I would condone as something I wouldn't let my kids see. Side Note: Ving Rhames is great as the attorney General in the last couple seasons.

Interesting show, but will it survive now?

Author: Bruce A. Johnson (Windrider6) from Alberta, Canada
15 March 2003

I have been a big fan of "The District". It may not be as hard-hitting as other cop shows, but that is one of the things I like about it. It has an interesting balance between policy and personality. The characters are interesting and likable. I look forward to seeing the characters each week.

With the death of Lynne Thigpen (Ella Farmer), I wonder if the show can survive? Her character was a big part of why I liked the show.

She will be missed.