IMDb > "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"CSI: Crime Scene Investigation"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 9 of 23: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Amazing Show!

Author: kveltri from VA
27 September 2002

I normally don't comment on shows, but after seeing that the featured user comment called it a very bad show, I had to respond. This show is incredible. As a fan of cop shows, I tuned in to the series premiere, and was instantly hooked. The characters are likable, the story lines aren't 'ripped from the headlines' constantly, and the setting of Las Vegas makes for some really interesting plots. The best parts of the show are the recreations of wounds and crimes, that track the bullet through the body or show people flying out of airplanes or off balconies. The dialogue is intelligent but they don't lose you in technical terms. While some of the timelines aren't exactly realistic (they get DNA results in 5 minutes from their tech wizard, Greg), the tension is well-maintained and the pacing is excellent. Unlike NYPD Blue, the balance storylines on the cases and the personal lives of the characters. This show should have won the Emmy for best drama this year, especially since West Wing of all shows did not deserve it with the lackluster season it had. Marg Helgenberger is the only one to receive an acting nom, even though the rest of the cast is terrific. At least they've finally added the medical examiner and the main lab tech, standout Eric Szmanda, to the opening credits. Between the solid cast and the incredible writing and technical aspects, this show stands to become the next Law and Order. It already has one spinoff. So, why are you still reading this? Go watch this show! If you haven't seen it before, TNN is currently (Fall 2002) showing the first season Monday nights at 11. However, you can definitely get into this show from whatever season it's in. It's definitely going to be around for a long time. Thank you Jerry Bruckheimer!

Will it survive or McGyverize?

Author: Charles B. Owen from East Lansing, MI
23 August 2002

CSI has been praised for bringing science to the forefront in a prime-time television series. It was, by no means, the first show to do so. You may remember McGyver, the Richard Dean Anderson vehicle wherein he played the title role, a hero who saved the day with gadgets and scientific knowledge. But, McGyver failed dismally as a demonstration of science because they so often got it wrong. They used the excuse that they did not want to show correct ways to make explosives, etc., but that was only an excuse because so many shows were based on stupidities such as visible laser security systems, fixed a phonograph playback by tuning coils in the radio electronics, fixing a radiator that has bullet holes by dropping in an egg, etc.

The reason I think this is important is that CSI has shown a few times that it was willing to toss the science aside in favor of plot. The most egregious example was a story where a worker was electrocuted. The perp had cut the ground wire on the extension cable, thereby disabling the GFCI circuit breaker. Or, at least, that was what they said in the show. In reality, GFCI breakers work just fine even if the ground is non-existent, as is the case for most bathroom appliances such as curling irons and hair dryers, the main items GFCI breakers were designed to protect against. That episode had lots of dumb mistakes in it and I'm seeing more mistakes creeping in. The day they decide that accuracy does not matter is when this show is dead. Let's hope these were flukes and not representative of a trend.

Simply great

Author: Beatrice_Milan (nidawi_wakanda@yahoo.it) from Milan, Italy
15 August 2002

As an actress with an interest in forensic psychology and true crime in general, C.S.I. did actually fulfill many of the things I've always been lookin' for in a show: emotion, growing tension, science, and, on the other side, good, innovating direction and great acting. The plots are absolutely great, the characters are well developed and never self-indulgent. It's an usual "date" I have with my telly.

Not one of CBS's impressing concepts

Author: Martin Grant from Newcastle, England
31 July 2002

Seeing as I haven't seen the ''Pilot'' episode of this Jerry Bruckheimer produced series, I only got the chance to see the 4th or 5th episode of the show which storyline was centered on a boy who's running in the desert, fully naked and found dead. After 15 minutes, I just had to turn over the channel as it was completely boring and wasn't as highly entertaining as the likes of 'Stargate SG-1' or CBS's 8th Season running Bellisario-produced series 'J.A.G.' which has yet to become a massive success here in the UK. I've just read the 45 reviews from mainly the American audiences, some UK, and I disagree on 'C.S.I.' being CBS's best show for years, the 2 greatest shows ever to hit CBS's network are the Eighties classics, created and produced by Donald P. Bellisario, also the creator and producer of 'J.A.G.', which were 'Magnum, P.I.' and 'Airwolf'. These had the best storylines, action and 'Airwolf' had the highest production values and still does as if compared to 'C.S.I.'s low-production values, it can see the difference. Maybe if the ''Pilot'' is re-aired here in the UK, I might re-consider my personnel judgement upon 'C.S.I.' but I very much doubt it, to me it's just a static, boring and un-entertaining show.

A Real Grabber!

Author: (tmills777@aol.com) from Santa Maria, California
16 March 2002

For X-File fans, watching their favorite show do a slow roll-over before sinking into the waves, this is a great replacement. The show has it all: intelligent script, great actors, outstanding plots. And you can then watch The Agency, another great show, after it. Watch one episode and you're hooked for life! You arrange your schedule so that Thursday nights are free from 9-11 PM so that you can just watch and enjoy one of the really great TV series of the last 20 years.

Excellent series based on forensic crime scene investigations

Author: thealexanders from Victoria, Australia
19 February 2002

C.S.I. - Crime Scene Investigation is a "must not miss" television series. Set in Las Vegas, several forensic experts led by Gil Grissom (William Petersen) investigate suspicious deaths using the latest Sci-Fi procedures. This series is extremely well made and rivals any feature length crime thriller. This series is a 10 for me.

CSI is "the show" of all shows...

Author: hughluver13 (baracuda375@aol.com) from America
16 February 2002

In CSI they managed to pull out the "real" workers in crime scenes. The CSI people are taken for granted they don't seem to be real noticed in the world. They have taken science and applied it to where it is most needed. Every show brings more knowledge to me, personally. And every show is more inviting. It has a unique way of taking us were we have never been before but simplyfying it so they do not loose us. It made a new frontier for "science geek" shows. CSI is top of the line cast,(William L. Petersen, Marg Helenburg, Jorja Fox, etc..) all play their roles like old "pros in the business". Their odd funny moments and their seriousness in every evidence is pulling us closer to the real world. For example, a person like Gil Grissom is not really seen in the every day world. I mean, how often do you see a man all alone in a "hermatically sealed condo" as Catherine Williows (Marg Helenburg) puts it. CSI is a new show that is making its own in the "big bad world" of show biz.

I'm completely hooked

Author: slstrongarm from In a theater near you!
3 January 2002

Let me add my voice to the seemingly endless praise for this show. I've always wondered how forensic science worked, and now I have this program that portrays it wonderfully along with compelling drama. It even got better once it lost the "soap opera" angle(Grissom's perpetual girlfriends, Willows' family problems). I'll definitely be on board every week!

EXCELLENT

Author: Starlights1987 from Kansas
4 December 2001

I have seen a lot of shows in the past years of my life about people trying to solve who-dunnit crimes. Most of them were awful, fake, phony, and boring. Then one of my good friends told me to watch a show called "CSI". I had heard of it, but I thought it was like a horror show or something, so I never watched it. As it turned out, it is my absolutly favorite show out there! Not only is it terrific, but the acting is fabulous! It looks like real crime scenes, and makes you wanna join in in trying to solve who commited the brutul murder, or big bank hiest. Anyone that loves suspense, comedy, and solving cool crimes, this show is definitly for you! I gaurantee you will love this great show! Every Thursday at 9:00 is the time to turn on your T.V. for one of Americas 10 most watched shows. I love it!

Enter Laurence Fishburne

Author: bilborough64 from United States
19 February 2009

I was very surprised that they put Fishburne in as a newbie agent considering his stature as an actor. Now I see the genius. His character is very sympathetic. Dr. Ray Langston makes us all feel that it's alright to feel inadequate sometimes even though he is a medical doctor and pathologist.

As for William Petersen's exit, it was very satisfying. The entire two parter had incredible acting. It was very "gutsy". At the end, Grissom and Sidle ride off into the Costa Rican jungle together. We wish all relationships had such happy endings. Grissom is an Entomologist, but what does Sidle do. She probably went back to school and took a degree in Zoology. It is a life-affirming area of study, something she needed.

I'm looking forward to the future episodes of CSI with Fishburne, but I want Billy Petersen to know he is missed. His involvement in the show meant we could always count on a high quality product. I really hope he stays on as an executive producer.

A personal request: Mr. Petersen, I wish you all the best, but now that you've gone back to the stage; if you take a show "on the road", would you have your group stop by Salt Lake City? We are lacking in good theater here. Thanks