IMDb > "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"CSI: Crime Scene Investigation"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Entertainment on steroids

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
4 August 2004

The hugely popular "CSI" is no less than a contemporary entertainment marvel. Finding its stride in season 2 with a formula which pushes the envelope while still being doable, this series packs ample portions of entertainment into 40 minute episodes while staying fresh, delivering palatable doses of science didactically, and, most of all, manifesting a strong sense of social responsibility in all of its subliminals. While most entertainment aims for the crotch, the gut, or the heart, "CSI" goes for the most difficult target, the head, as it teaches forensics and the empirical process while remaining cooly detached from sensationalism and melodrama all the while using the "truth is stranger (and more interesting) than fiction" thesis to its and our advantage. The results are fun and interesting lessons in everything from dwarfism to Down syndrome to anatomy to ballistics to etc. all the while maintaining a social conscience. Whether explaining how S&M is not necessarily perversion to simply dissing Don King, "CSI" is one sweet sugar coated education with solid mainstream values. My favorite lines? CSI1:"There's a sucker born every minute." CSI2: "Yeah. And they all come to Vegas." Truer words....

Outstanding!!!

Author: kidcurry1967 from Dayton, Ohio
7 December 2000

C.S.I. is the best new show of the 2000 season! William L. Petersen is the coolest of the cool as Gil Grissom. I've followed his career since I first saw him in To Live and Die in L.A. He's an amazing actor and he heads up a cast of amazing actors as well. This show really keeps you on the edge of your seat as the investigators literally take a crime scene that appears to leave them with nothing to go on. The investigators take nothing and turn it into something amazing as each crime is solved right in front of you and you as the viewer, never see it coming! Wow! I hope this is one show CBS will pick up year after year!

Must see TV!!

Author: Thomas Jolliffe (supertom-3) from Marlow, England
5 April 2002

CSI has come to the UK and has been on our screens for around a year. I saw the first episode and was impressed but like with a lot of TV series I found good such as the X-files I just forgot about it and never watched it, anyway about 2 months ago I heard and advert on the radio for it and so watched it. I have been watching it religously since, I have missed most of series one and the first few episodes of series two which annoys me but every episode is great, well written and excellently acted and directed. What sets this out from other TV shows is the incredibly professional look, from the movie like cinematography to the brilliant acting, the writing is always very good and the plot twists always surprising whilst feasible. I wish I had watched it since series one. I am a fan of Marg Helgenberger, I find her very sexy, she is a gorgeous woman and this really made me finally decide to watch it, as I usually watch something from the movie channels on saturdays. The show has a great production value and its got that Bruckheimer class about it. They always have good directors such as Danny Cannon who also did the underrated Stallone flick Judge Dredd. All the actors are good the two younger guys played by Gary Dourdon and George Eads and the nice looking Joja Fox and they and Marg are all led by the ultra intelligent Gill Grissom, excellently played by the one of the shows producers William Peterson, the lines Grissom has are classic. The show has some generally interesting characters who are all likeable. This show is pure TV excellence and it gets a bonus thumbs up because they cast one of my fave actors Mark Dacascos in an episode which should reach the UK in about 7 weeks. 10/10

Just terrific!

Author: AlabamaWorley1971 from NJ, USA
24 November 2000

I've always been fascinated by forensic science, so this was tailor-made for me! It's intelligent and literate, with intriguing stories and lots of cool crime-fighting toys. If you liked MANHUNTER (1986), which also starred William Petersen, you'll enjoy this. High quality TV.

Original and entertaining

Author: stamper from The Netherlands
4 September 2002

CSI is one of the best TV series of the last few years (with Law and Order: Special Victims unit and That 70's show). Not only is it original and exciting, but the acting is top shelf as well. The producers and the people from casting, most famously represented by Jerry Bruckheimer, really did a great job in bringing together a perfect team of actors. The two most famous to me were Marg Helgenberger (Catherine Willows) and Paul Guilfoyle (Jim Brass) who have had a couple of minor roles in some films I saw. The rest of the crew are William L.Petersen (Gil Grissom), Jorja Fox (Sara Sidle), Gary Dourdan (Warrick Brown) and George Earls (Nick Stokes)

The main characters from CSI, although flawed, like all human beings, are all likeable in their own way, including Greg Sanders (portrayed by Eric Szmanda). Despite the fact that all of the characters like their work and seem a bit obsessed by it, all characters are unique. Grissom is the wise, well educated loner, who seems to be the tough yet soft mentor to the rest of the crew. He likes to play with bugs and at times he seems not to forget what it means to be social. Sidle portrays some kind of a younger version of Grissom. She is eager to be the best, dedicated to her work night and day and quite the loner as well. Willows plays the modern woman. Dedicated to her work, but also a mother, which seems hard to balance at times. Warrick and Stokes are the manly men in the series, always competing to prove themselves and showing the other one who is the best.

The characterizations of the persons portrayed along with everyones way of conduct and the great stories provide and interesting, humane and charming show, to be enjoyed by many people for a long time (I hope). Tune in and get your own opinion. Here is mine.

9 out of 10 (because I do not give a 10)

ONE OF THE BEST SERIES I'VE EVER SEEN

Author: Gustavo Bastos from Fairfield - California - USA
22 February 2001

Takes another another angle of vision for cops and crime series. Everything is perfect: the choose of the cast, the cast themselves, the stories, etc. Although some can think of gore scenes, the episodes are not so violent as the similar we have usually. A suggestion: it should be a good idea to start to show some aspects of the their personal lives.

Brilliant

Author: Jerry Smith from USA
5 June 2002

C.S.I: Crime Scene Investigation is a truly brilliant show that follows a bunch of investigators of murders who find out how the death happened and possibly find out who did it. The show is excellent on many levels. The characters are very cool and well-developed. The storylines are brilliant. Almost every story is perfect and imaginative. I love this show.

Overall the show is excellent and highly recommended. Rating A++.

Crime-busting has not been this intriguing in years!

Author: Old Joe from Hamilton, Australia
16 October 2002

I am not sure whether TV accurately shows us real life professions or not. One thing I do know, is that when I find a good TV series, I stick with it. I have done precisely that with CSI, although it has taken its time to grow on me. However once it did, I cannot miss a minute of it. Considering that Australian TV has had many 'crime' based TV shows in the past and the present, it is refreshing to watch an American spin on the ‘crime' theme. CSI is now a weekly viewing ritual that I could not imagine being without.

The crime is committed and the scene is set. Then it is time for it to be investigated. This is Crime Scene Investigation (C.S.I.), which is all about a team of Las Vegas Criminalists working the graveyard shift at the Las Vegas Crime Lab. The team is led by veteran Gil Grissom with Catherine Willows, Nick Stokes, Warrick Brown, and Sara Sidle. They are all on the look out for the clues, which could make the difference in their next big case.

Not seeing the first series in its entirety has not hindered my love for this show. In fact it has made me appreciate it all the more. This show is the creation of big-time Hollywood man, Jerry Bruckheimer. But there are other people that deserve praise when it comes to bringing this show to our small screen. All of the directors and producers make this show flow beautifully. Add in the fascinating and interesting stories that have been written make for one terrific show. I especially enjoy how the show has so much packed into each episode. Having two or more cases in every show gives it the perfect feel and pace. I also like how some episodes have all the evidence collected by the certain members of the CSI group, but that it is still not enough to convict anyone (or group) of a crime, whether it be a murder, assault or theft.

Then look at what a great cast has been assembled for this show. I like the people who are all a part of CSI. The main man is Gil Grissom, the boss of CSI. He is portrayed well by William L. Peterson. I like how his character shows how he uses all his past experience to help solve a case. The people under Grissom include Catherine Willows (Marg Helenbeger), Nick Stokes (George Eads), Warrick Brown (Gary Dourdan), and Sara Sidle (Jorja Fox). All these characters are different, challenge each other, in addition to being careful not to get to close to their victims or suspects. I find the way all these people get their job done to be of the utmost professionalism.

If this group were real crime-busting team, I am sure I would like them on my case, whether I was or related to a victim. This show is so good to watch, whether you are in a stressful job or in a family situation, as it is relaxing and educational. I hear that there is a spin off series called ‘CSI Miami'. I am not sure whether this series will be better than its predecessor, but one thing is for sure – I will more than likely giving it a chance to mesmerise me like CSI has. In the TV world being a perpetrator or an accomplice of a crime is not a smart idea, as it is more than likely that one of the gang from the Las Vegas ‘CSI' will be the next knock on your door, and proving that you were part of the crime.

What's happened to CBS?

Author: millennia-2 from In shame (2005 update)
6 October 2000

In the past few months, the world has witnessed a dramatic transformation. Well... maybe not very dramatic, or even much of a transformation either, but it's still an event that rarely happens in the world of entertainment. Just a couple short months ago, CBS, then by far the least threatening and underachieving of the four major networks (NBC, Fox, and ABC being the others), was in the midst of a slow but steady decline, with no major shows outside 'Nash Bridges' and the ancient '60 Minutes'. Since then, there was the mega hit 'Survivor', and now they've pumped up their Friday line-up with an update of 'The Fugitive', and 'C.S.I', an exceptional one hour drama, along the lines of 'Law & Order: SVU'.

William Petersen and Marg Helgenberger star in this original and very slick crime series produced by film veteran Jerry Bruckheimer. The flashy cinematography and compelling stories make up for bouts of an identity crisis, and some minor plot holes. The Las Vegas setting really helps, it's definitely a welcome change from the normal New York and LA locations in most other series', especially with the great aerials placed in between scenes. 'C.S.I' would be a worthy addition the the line-ups of any of the networks, and should be a hit.

Spectacular!

Author: Jeff Cross from Marblehead, MA, USA
7 October 2000

I love it! I took a course on forensic chemistry in college and found it to be a whole lot of fun, and this show just took me back. In addition to seeing all the cool ways the crime scene unit can place you at the scene and ultimately prove you did the crime, it has gallows humor/sarcasm and edge. I hope they don't cancel it.

Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]