IMDb > "Bette" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Bette"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Bette" More at IMDbPro »

Best forgotten

Author: preppy-3 from United States
8 March 2006

I, at first, thought a TV series with Bette Midler would be a great idea. I'm a big fan of hers and she has shown some great comedic talent in her movies. Unfortunately this was horrid! This show is infamous for all the behind the camera battles. From what was reported, Midler was a control freak and drove everybody crazy. Kevin Dunn (who played her husband) went head to head with her a few times--he was fired and replaced with Robert Hays. The scripts were (to be kind) unfunny and even Midler was bad! She's over the top all the time and runs around and screeches out every line. The entire cast basically seemed afraid to try and stop her--Dunn did and look what happened to him. The only one who comes through is Joanna Gleason who plays it quiet and calm--a welcome reprieve from Midler's dramatics.

This show didn't last long--I don't even think it played out a full season. It's mostly been forgotten and should stay that way. Even Midler has bad mouthed this!

Too too much!

Author: Dgoldyn from fort lauderdale
13 March 2002

I really like Bette Midler. I was excited that she was going to have a tv series. But........

Every episode had Bette coming on like gangbusters claiming "i'm a diva, aren't I too much! Then her husband would come out and claim, "Bette your too much." Folllowed by Joanna Gleason, the gay personal assisant, her daughter and assorted guest stars claiming, "Bette calm down, you're too much." How can any other character be happy with lines like this!

Then Bette would be too much. No one else was allowed to be funny -or have a joke. It was as if the writers were afraid to develop others characters or God forbid--throw them a joke. I wish stars who go on tv wouldn't be afraid of being an ensemble. Only ensemble shows survive. Rosanne had one! Mary Tyler Moore had one. The Golden Girls had one! Hopefullly Bette learned to save her divaism for her concerts. Sit-Coms don't work that way.

I laughed

Author: Pippin (NYQueen82@aol.com) from New York, New York
26 March 2003

This was a series that ended too soon, in my book. The comedy was well paced and Bette was wonderful to watch. The first episode was a scream and had me hooked from the get go. I wish it had lasted longer and I thought it really beat out the other new shows starting about the same time (The Gena Davis Show). It is too bad it went off the air so soon. If you ever get a chance to watch it, enjoy, and have a laugh for me.

Everything that is wrong with television...

Author: Sleepensheep from D.C.
5 July 2005

This show represents everything that is wrong with some sit-coms. It appears that television executives, unable to come up with an original idea, constantly fall back on "celebrities" such as Midler, as the end of their career. Since they are at the end of their career, they are more willing to do the lowly sit-com (see: Gena Davis). Unfortunately, the shows most often have the supporting characters orbiting around the star, Midler, feeding her opportunities to drop her "funny" lines. If the supporting characters do have a joke, it is only meant as a set-up to Midler "sassier" line. With these sit-coms, Midler and Davis, the lead actor appears to have distaste for the genre of situation-comedy, and judging from the writing, the writers have the same distaste. Moreover, the t.v. execs must have a lowly opinion of the genre to assume that an ex-movie actress automatically equals television gold. This is only validated when Emmy judges, seeing the ex-movie star (Midler) doing the lowly sit-com, assumes she must be so much more talented than other actresses on other sit-coms who did not have the same movie career (Heaton, Louis-Dryfus, etc.) Seinfeld offers the best cure for this disease, when the huge comedy star (Seinfeld) had a show, but rather than having all the actors orbiting around him, he gave them the funniest lines. The result: perhaps the television show ever. Hopefully people have learned, and such tragedies as "Bette" will never be allowed to happen again.

Take a bad sitcom, add a bloated ego, you get "Bette"

Author: Hotoil from South Portland, ME
2 January 2001

Bette Midler's new series "Bette" sets new records in the field of horrible situation comedies. The plots and gags here are nothing new AT ALL! What makes this unique, though? There are many bad sitcoms. I mean, the entire genre has turned into one big over-used cliche. But even people who like sitcoms have to be turned off by this. Bette Midler plays herself, which means, you guessed it - 30 minutes of shameless self-promotion, sometimes disguised as thin self-satire but all the same. That, and Bette Midler painfully over-acts as she makes corny jokes and stumbles through these predictable plot devices.

Bette's star power may save it from as quick a cancellation it obviously deserves, but the half-hour laugh-track laden comedy doesn't get much worse than this.

My Favorite New Show

Author: cheraub from Modesto Ca
20 December 2000

I'm really impressed with all of the great new shows this season and this one is at the top of my list. I've been a fan of Bette Midlers for a long time and right now shes at her best. I've watched it since the beginning and haven't missed an episode. Its really really funny. I hope it does not get cancelled!

Bette Midler wonderful in self-titled comedy

Author: Arik Akers from United States
10 May 2006

Bette Midler playing herself- I wasn't sure at first how this comedy would work out, but after the 1st episode I was hooked. Some people have claimed the scripts weren't all that great, but I have to strongly disagree. Bette's character of Bette is absolutely hysterical. Very few celebrities are able to poke fun at themselves for everyone to see. Some of the situations are "I love Lucy" style, and Bette pulls them off with class. And having celebrities like Dolly Parton coming in to join the show poking fun at themselves just adds to the fun. The chemistry between Bette and Joanna Gleason is fantastic. Great job of casting there, with Bette always hearing what she wants to hear, not what everyone is telling her, and Joanna trying to ease her into reality. I was disappointed when this show ended, and hope it will be released on DVD one day soon.

First fall hit of 2000.

Author: hfan77
18 October 2000

The first fall TV hit of 2000 happens to be the perfect vehicle for Bette Midler since she plays herself ala Jerry Seinfeld. It's well written, well acted and she has an outstanding supporting cast including Joanna Gleason as her best friend and manager Connie. Even though the show runs opposite "Millionaire", "Bette" could be the final answer to compete with Regis. A very funny show! I hope (to borrow a quote from another hit Wednesday CBS show from this year) it doesn't get "voted off the island." The best CBS sitcom on Wednesday night since "The Nanny."

"Bette" On DVD... Please

Author: James Helberg from United States
5 April 2005

How about "Bette: The Complete Series" all 18 episodes on DVD? Considering Bette issues a public apology for the series (complete with a video taped "Judge Judy" parody and a song) on her current tour the DVD release of her ill-fated 2000-2001 self titled sitcom most likely won't happen. I for one would buy it. I'm sure many if not all of the 20,000 fans that filled the Palace Of Auburn Hills in Detroit the night I saw my favorite Diva, as well as all of Miss M's fans all over the USA would purchase it. The show wasn't that bad. Misguided perhaps but, not the train wreck the critics have said it was. I think the highlights of the series were when Bette performed her hit songs and many new songs from her new CD at the time "Bette" I remember the Halloween episode revolved around Bette being mistaken for Dolly Parton and the episode concluding with a Bette and Dolly duet. Priceless! Many moments of comic gold. Not Bette at her best but, certainly worth a look.

Always a funny show.

Author: karno5 from Concord Ca.
18 March 2001

A funny show,but doesn't have a good time slot,being up against one of NBC's power houses Also I think Kevin Dunn was a much funnier husband and belivable then Robert Hayes. Anyway it looks like it won't matter,as I understand that Bette has be cancelled.