IMDb > Tomcats (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Tomcats More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Author: the_el_man from Lincoln, UK
18 August 2002

One of the grossest and funniest films ever made.

Heavily Underrated. Great simple love storyline, Classic dirty sick humour

For fans of Teen Comedy movies such as Not another Teen Movie and Theres Something About Mary.

Author: LoveSnail from Minneapolis, Minnesota
8 April 2001

Finally there is a movie where the previews don't show the funniest parts of the movie. Take it from me-the previews are less than half as funny as the movie is! But, if you're not into sick and perverted humor, then you probably won't enjoy most portions of this movie. However, if you do, I recommend it highly.

The funniest movie ever!

Author: Riika Magnus from portland, oregon
2 February 2002

I thought that this movie was hilarious! Jerry O'Connell did a really great job, and the music is awesome. It was an original movie, that had a great plot. I think that everyone, that has a sense of humor, should see this movie.

Vulgar but spirited and energetic comedy.

Author: gridoon
10 July 2003

By some lucky (?) chance, I watched this movie a few days after watching "Flesh Gordon 2", so I was able to easily tell the difference between a likable moronic and tasteless sex comedy and a painful moronic and tasteless sex comedy. Granted, "Tomcats" has more energy than laughs, and the story is predictable in the extreme; however, it works by mixing in some sweetness along with the vulgarity, and it certainly helps that Jerry O'Connell and Shannon Elizabeth have a nice chemistry together - you get the feeling they would make a likable pair. Now, if only they had given a larger role to Jaime Pressly....(**1/2)

Look at the Reviewers- You'll note a trend

Author: (acustomer) from United States
8 September 2007

Firstly, I may well be slightly biased- because I really truly enjoyed this movie. However, seeing it with a score under 5- and then looking at the reviews, there is a notable trend. The good reviews are predominantly well punctuated and articulate, with such things as (gasp) accurate spelling and grammar. Conversely, most of the bad reviews tend to be short blurbs with not a capital letter to be found.

My take on this: Despite being a dumb comedy, Tomcats is to nuanced for the average consumer of dumb comedy. So, it's a smart-dumb comedy. The timing of jokes is impeccable, the pace is excellent, and the actual material is above average- with some of it even fresh! This leaves it in a bad place for reviews though- because it means a small segment of people love it, while big segments of the population (the pretentious smart and the uncultured dumb, we'll call them) will always pan this movie. So, if you're smarter than the average bear- but still appreciate dumb comedy romps, go for it- this one is a keeper.

Author: nolimitg316 from Cooper City, Florida
15 April 2001

I saw this movie the other night and I couldn't stop laughing.

Yes, the movie had a very stupid plot.

Yes, the movie could have been a little better.

But still, I found this movie to be very funny and was more than what I personally expected. I can see where other people found it to be stupid. This movie was on the lines of Dumb & Dumber in the way of s tupid comedy. But I enjoyed every minute of it. It is a little disgusting at times but I recommend that fans of comedy go see this movie.

Funny, juvenile but funny...

Author: Enchorde from Sweden
12 November 2003

** Here might be spoilers ** This movie is kind of a enigma to me. No, be serious, I got the plot, the whole predictable plot. At a wedding the remaining bachelors makes a bet that whoever is the last bachelor will win a bundle of money. One after one they marry and finally there are only two left, Michael, the cartoonist and Kyle, the playboy. Suddenly life gets complicated for Michael as he loses lots of money in a Las Vegas casino, and only one month to pay. He sees only one solution, he must win that bet.

This film is juvenile. No doubt about it. It is completely filled with very nice-looking women, some of them wearing very little (but actually surprisingly little nudity). The jokes are mostly about sex or cruel ones like falling over cliffs. Sure, they makes you laugh a little, but not that much. There are some really good jokes here and there however, some nice spoofs or some rather funny detail. And this makes the whole movie much better than expected. 7/10

A very funny movie!

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
17 June 2001

Is "Tomcats" as tasteless as you think? Definitely! This is not a smart, intellectual comedy. The gags are often pretty cheap. But I laughed a lot! I wouldn't put this movie down in comedy history, but if you want to spend a whole hour and thirty minutes croaking with laughter--I can't say you'll be disappointed. If you can't handle this lewd brand of comedy, please don't bother with "Tomcats." However, there is one joke involving the consumption of a human testicle (Yes, you heard right) which I felt was one of the MOST disgusting gags I've ever seen!!! Better yet, one of the most disgusting moments in the history of motion pictures. I have to say, I almost gave up on the film at that point. Luckily, the copious laughs made up for the extreme crudeness. So if you decide to rent this movie, make sure you fast-forward to the next scene when the testicle scene comes up. As long as you skip through that one scene, you should be able to leave this movie unharmed. The plot is sitcom material, and no more than a bunch of setups for hysterical, outrageous gags, but I was laughing so hard I ignored the throwaway plot.

Other things to anticipate are Bill Maher's portrayal of the ruthless crimelord Carlos and Garry Marshall's cameo appearance. Of course, Shannon Elizabeth is in the cast ('Nuff said). Can you get much hotter than Shannon? Not to sound shallow, but I really expected to see tons of nudity--judging by the ads including one with that hot blonde chick (I forgot her name) about to take her top off. Don't expect to see any female nudity (though there's one breast shot used for comic purposes). Lots of scantily-clad babes, but none of them get naked. And for the ladies out there, there is some brief male nudity (For all feminists who think this comedy is degrading to women--Shut up! You got your share of male nudity. We're even). However, I don't know if anyone--male or female--would want to anticipate seeing Jake Busey in a thong.

"Tomcats" is not the best of the gross-out comedies, but it delivers. The jokes are sitcom material, but it's funny sitcom material.

You might want to stop the tape or DVD during the outtakes, though. Many people said the outtakes were hilarious, but I thought they were the worst outtakes I've ever seen. The kind of stuff that can only be funny to those working in the cast or crew. Luckily, they're at the very end of the film, so watching them is optional.

My score: 7 (out of 10)

Laugh fest

Author: CigarsAndPars from Toronto
27 August 2001

If you are a politically correct nerd or a raging feminist, don't bother watching this movie. This is not for you. Go watch "Some like it hot" or something like that. It is obvious that no critic would write anything positive about this movie even if he peed in his pants laughing. They would just get hurt in today's politically correct climate and they know it. I realize that a lot of people here have never attended a decent party and had zero to one partners in their life, but that doesn't mean that others shouldn't have a good time watching comedies like this. My wife and I had a great time watching this movie. 10/10.

Seems pretty tame now...

Author: intelearts from the big screen
22 January 2007

Life moves on...

I avoided this like the plague when it came out as it got so panned by the critics but got it on TV.

It really is a pretty good way to waste 90 minutes.

I have to say there is NO nudity; the grossness is mild, and the timing on the comedy is pretty good.

Yes, it's a guy's film in the main, yes, it's vaudeville; but overall it actually has a little wisdom to impart, a sweetness to it, and enough silliness to make it fly.

Much better treat than expected and if you liked Something About Mary or American Pie you will enjoy...

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]