IMDb > Heaven (2002/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 10 of 15: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Beautiful

Author: ilinx from US
16 August 2004

I found this to be a very nice blend of Kieslowski and Tykwer, two of my favorite directors. It is a sparse film, and has moments that require you to suspend your disbelief a bit too much (the communication written and taped between the officer and the woman is one thing I'm thinking of), but I find it to be a very compelling and human story, and the end is one of the most beautiful and perfect endings I have ever seen in a film. For me it makes any other small faults it may have forgivable.

Hypnotic

Author: Nolf_ from Hanover NH USA
2 August 2004

This film was brilliant. Upon finishing it, I felt like I was in a trance that I still haven't "woken" up from. The pictures, the music, and the acting were so great, and the theme that Heaven deals with, the relationship between coincidence and fate, is so interesting and so well done here. The last scene is beautiful, and I remember praying to God to not allow this movie to ever end. Also, what I love about this film is that even though the protagonists aren't the typical definition of "good", "pure", or "morally correct", I still found myself rooting for them to escape the police and for their love to blossom even more.

This movie is full of magic and even after a year of viewing Heaven, it hasn't lost any of it. It will stay with me forever and ever.

Ten out of five stars.

Beautiful picture! (Spoiler?)

Author: (svenemma) from Gothenburg, Sweden
28 July 2004

Could contain some kind of spoiler, but not really.

I have wished to see this movie for a long time, but when I started watching it this afternoon I did not remember why. I do not know anyone who have seen it; if they have seen it, they have not told me. So I did not know much at all. But I am so very happy that I took this chance, because this is one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen! Although I do not like everything about it, like the abrupt ending that left you without a clue, this will surely become one of my favorites, thanks to the pictures and landscapes. And I did not even know I appreciated such things, that beauty alone could make a movie so great.

An emotional masterpiece

Author: josehugo8av from Guadalajara, México
1 March 2004

"Heaven" is an example of poetry converted into a motion picture. The director, Tom Tykwer, created a movie in which emotions are present at all times. The whole movie is a delicate and tender road that leads to an ending that will not be easy to forget. Both Blanchett and Ribisi bring to us a great example of good acting that leaves all audience with wet eyes. Finally, the end is the climax that the movie needed. Various scenes during the movie are important -the assassination, Cate Blanchett hiding in the bathroom and the part in which Giovanni Ribisi tells Blanchett that he was born the same day of her First Communion-, yet, the poetic elevation and disappearing of the helicopter is a great culmination for an impressive movie.

a quiet, poetic drama

Author: filmnoiresse from Seattle
14 February 2004

i gave this movie a 9, because such an intelligent work of art is so rare in these days of big-budget action/nonsense. this is a poem to love and hope amid violence and despair.

blanchett and ribisi speak mostly italian (and do an excellent job) - that is, when they do speak. this is a quietly taut character study of two disparate souls who communicate mostly wordlessly.

the cinematography promotes the dream-like effect the story has on the viewer, bringing us intimately into the same space with the two main characters.

it became apparent the ending would be "sad," but i had no idea it would be so lyrical, so gentle, so hopeful. i strongly suggest this film to anyone who is interested in near-perfect acting, tight direction, lovely cinematography, and a story that will pierce you.

Astonishing...

Author: CelticGoddess from Chicago, Illinois
28 August 2003

Though this film has its flaws, it held me. It's the rare film that deals honestly and intelligently with profound social and moral issues. The cinematography is breathtaking, particularly the use of light and color. Almost unreal at times... Giovanni Ribisi's strong, quietly felt performance made me wonder why I don't see more of him. This stands side by side with "Knife in the Heart." Most of all, though, is the astonishing performance of Cate Blanchett. This film leaves no doubt that she's the greatest actress - at least of her generation. The scene at the beginning of her interrogation contains possibly the greatest piece of acting on film. I had to immediately replay it to believe what I'd just witnessed.

A "HEAVENLY" PIECE OF ART

Author: fearedandloathed from Waynesville, OH
28 July 2003

Directed by Tom Tykwer. Written by Krzysztof Kieslowski and Krzysztof Piesiewicz. Running time: 96 minutes. Classified R (for a scene of sexuality).

To label Heaven a thriller, while not necessarily untrue, would be a huge understatement. It is a strikingly original love story disguised as a suspense film. It was written by Krzysztof Kieslowski, the renowned Polish writer/director best known for his Trois Couleurs trilogy, and was intended to be the first installment in another series of three pictures, respectively entitled Heaven, Purgatory, and Hell. But when Kieslowski passed away in 1996, all that had been completed was the first script, at which point Tom Tykwer (Run, Lola, Run) stepped in and took on the rather daunting responsibility of doing justice to this acclaimed film-maker's work. And after having seen the completed project, I can confidently say that Tykwer succeeded. Heaven is the story of a schoolteacher named Philippa (played with vivid sensitivity by Cate Blanchett) whose husband dies of an overdose, prompting her to attempt and assassinate the drug-lord responsible. Yet instead of murdering her intended target, her plan goes awry and accidentally causes the death of four innocent bystanders, two of them children. Racked by guilt and remorse, she allows herself to be arrested and subjected to police interrogation, willing to suffer the consequences of her actions but still persistent on avenging her spouse's passing. Here enters Filippo (Giovanni Ribisi), a police officer whose parallel name suggests him to be Philippa's counterpart. When he makes the sudden decision to help her escape and fulfill her desire for retribution, the two fall deeply in love with one another and become fugitives from the law. While this seems like the perfect premise for a box-office-bound thriller, Kieslowski and Tykwer have very different intentions: Heaven is one of the quietest, most delicate exercises in subtlety ever created. It is a tender love fable, and yet it emanates an unexpected intensity. The camera-work of cinematographer Frank Griebe is so graceful and gentle that it makes the film genuinely unpredictable. His overhead shots display sheer beauty, and one particular scene at dusk in which the camera rotates around the plain of a darkened tree as Filippo and Philippa slowly approach each other for a kiss is indescribably voluptuous and breathtaking. Tykwer displays an authentic understanding of the power of silence, and uses the frequent lack of dialogue to make Heaven increasingly powerful rather than uneventful and dull. The performances of Ribisi and Blanchett are convincing and passionate, and over-all the film is balanced and smooth, with good editing and a compellingly bleak score. But as good as Heaven is, I was given the impression that Tykwer suffers from the same weakness Luc Besson is prone to: he's afraid to go all the way and deliver an entirely gloomy film. For some odd reason, he feels a false need to insert comic relief instead of making a picture of Kubrickian power and melancholy. One scene in which Blanchett and Ribisi are hiding in the back of a milkman's truck as he's having sex in the front seat seems out-of-place and unnecessary. Minor flaws aside, Heaven is an alluring, moody piece of art, and it delivers one surprise after another from the bizarre animated opening sequence to the downbeat conclusion. I really hope that the other two installments of the trilogy are made, which is a feeling very uncommon to me, and a sign that Heaven belongs to a higher class of film that actually leaves you wanting more rather than counting down the minutes to the closing credits.

***1/2 - Excellent

This film is truly wonderful

Author: afc-ajax from Toronto
21 July 2003

Being a sympathetic soul to the work and tone of Kieslowski's films, and (more or less) liking Tykwer's Run Lola Run, I figured upon renting Heaven: "How bad could this be?".

I'm not a Cate Blanchett fan, wasn't particularly in the mood for Hollywood romanticism, and feared I was about to see one of those mediocre spy/evil-establishment films that seemed so prevalent in the UK during the 80's.

Pardon the cliché, but from the first frame this film captured me. It is patient, respectful, realistic, but still optimistic in it's view of our greater intentions. It is violent when it needs to be, but even then it respects the victims. Everyone is human in this film.

The technical aspects aside (and they are legion), there is so much to recommend about this film that I will simply suggest anyone with a clear mind and 2-hours of time find this on the shelf and watch it.

subtle, surprising, engaging

Author: msdawntreader from Santa Fe NM, USA
22 June 2003

I loved this movie, found it mesmerizing. It has all the elements of your basic thriller but with an entirely different implementation, making it subtle, profound, uplifting and unexpected. Cate Blanchett is fabulous. Just see it!

Visual Beauty

Author: raze-1 from New York
20 June 2003

Tykwer has done it again. This time with a Kieslowski script. Heaven is possibly the most beautiful film I've ever seen. Each shot is so gorgeous, it's like watching a thousand paintings on the screen. Cate Blanchett and Giovanni Ribisi are incredible together (teaming up once again after doing "The Gift"). I will watch this again and again. It reminds me why I love films so much.

Page 10 of 15: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]