IMDb > Heaven (2002/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Heaven

Heaven More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 15: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

May not be the best of films, but certainly better than SOME REVIEWERS might think...

Author: Tom Chladek from Adelaide, australia
24 September 2002

Some people argue that Cate Blanchett is too static, and thus a poor actress. To those people I stress that they watch all of her films - from her early Australian films to The Gift, Bandits and Lord of the Rings. Cate Blanchett would have to be one of the most versatile actors in the international film industry.

In my opinion, it is her 'static' performance which adds life and humanity to her character in this film. The film may be disappointing, considering that it was crafted by a modern master (Tykwer).However, The film deals with some very tough, uncomfortable issues- which prove challenging for the best of filmakers.

This film is certainly not in everyone's taste, however, both lead performances are brutally honest...

Maybe this is Heaven?

Author: Mattydee74 from Sydney, Australia
17 September 2002

There are films about loss and films and learning and "Heaven"

unites the two in a subtle but painful union. Maybe the distance

between these two opposites is not ever as measurable as when

united and Heaven may be the place.

Based upon a "screenplay" by Krystof Kieslowski and his writing

partner, Tom Twyker has created from these ashes a film

necessarily different but maybe closer to its source. In uniting

difficult partners - dead and living, criminal and police, innocent

and guilty, honest and dishonest, alive and dead - Twyker

manages a film so impossibly, absurdly beautiful it threatens to

cave in upon itself but never does. Rarely does a film so

provocative and yet gentle leave me so still and yet moved. I

haven't the desire nor passion to tear apart the odd feelings this

film left me with...except to say maybe this is heaven.

Very good

Author: screamer-13
14 September 2002

Very good. The acting was commendable, but I felt it was Tom Tykwer's direction that held the movie together. At times I was thinking "Yes, this scene is beautifully filmed, Kieslowski is indeed a genius" until I remembered that he was dead and Tykwer was directing. The script was excellent. There was a lot of subtlety in it - mixed emotions; characters hiding things from each other and from the audience; a sense of uncertainty throughout... there was some effective symbolism too, although the one part I didn't quite understand was the physical transformation of the two fugitives, which felt like it was supposed to mean something deeper but kind of passed me by. The ending was good - managing to be typically different from your average ending, while remaining completely clear and reinforcing the meaning of the film in its entirety. After the film has finished you can reflect on which of the characters went to heaven, and why, and whether they went there together, and even at what point in the film their journey began, or ended.

I shall conclude by saying that my favourite scene of the film was a 5-10 second still shot of a beautifully serene landscape.

Tykwer's Trademarks

Author: AllyMcBeeel from Hamburg, Germany
25 August 2002

Tom Tykwer - the director's name is known international since "Run Lola Run". In old tradition his works' main themes are love relationships ("Der Krieger und die Kaiserin", "Deathly Maria"). Cate Blanchett, a young teacher, wants to prevent her students from drug dealers. As this mission fails she finds herself in a police office, accused for murder. This is where we begin. Fate, that she meets Giovanni Ribisi ("Saving Private Ryan")that day. The introverted young man is torn away from his earlier life, finding out that nothing else in his life is of any importance except her. Both actors are astonishing in their characters: Blanchett embodies a strong young woman whose life crumbles to pieces - in silent moments her despair seems to crawl from the screen into the auditorium... In the beginning Ribisi asks: Why is it not possible to fly higher with a helicopter? Ribisi wears his naivety like an raincoat through the whole movie - because all the things we really want are possible - even for a short time.

This is cinema of the highest calibre

Author: mob61uk (mob61uk@yahoo.co.uk)
15 July 2002

This rates amongst the top films I've seen so far this year. Tykwer had a lot to live up to with this movie, since it is based on a script by the late great Kieslowski. However, he has given us a beautifully realised film - his most mature to date. Cate Blanchett's performance is absolutely stunning, and if there is any justice in this world it deserves an Oscar (which means, of course, she won't get it!). Giovanni Ribisi is also superb. This is cinema of the highest calibre. Please go and see this film.

Audacious

Author: Manuel Rivera from Berlin, Germany
27 February 2002

I didn't expect such a audacious, profoundly intended film when I went to watch "Heaven". I didn't like "Krieger & Kaiserin" because of its mysticism and exaggerated sentiments. But "Heaven" is much better. In part this is, of course, due to the intense and veracious play of Cate Blanchett. But not only. Already the start is completely innovative and even shocking: This green you see and say: 'But this is little TOO green...' and immediately you become aware that it is, in fact, a Simulation. And this topic - the falsehood of images - becomes a central one of this movie that remembers, in its landscape shootings, Bertolucci's "Stealing Beauty" and so many post-cards and movies and over-used airline-magazines... But it WINS those images again, conquers a new authenticity for them I didn't believe was possible. And, even this way, it doesn't work completely: only as a dream. And the whole movie, or everything that is central in it, remains a dream. The desperation that motivates the main character to commit her crime, is present in this movie in its negative - and the relationship of these two levels makes the movie's quality. Because they don't INFECT each other - the main sin of Kieslowski, the mysticist par excellence -, the whole thing remains PURE, and that it is a kind of answer to another main question that it makes: if purity is still possible.

Heaven has a beating heart. And it's called Cate Blanchett.

Author: Satria from Berlin, Germany
7 February 2002

Tom Tykwer's HEAVEN is a beautifully crafted film that is not afraid to wear it's heart on it's sleeve. Based on a brilliantly conceived screenplay by the late great director Kieslowski and his writing partner, it tells the story of a relentless woman bent on revenging her husband's death. This thriller-esque revenge plot quickly evolves into a philosophical meditation about guilt and unconditional love, the latter theme being a favoured subject of director Tykwer (though usually he likes to explore it through his own scripts). Tykwer's breakthrough film "Lola Rennt" (Run, Lola, Run), though mostly remembered for it's fast-paced flashiness and unique style, showed in it's rare quite moments the central characters discussing the nature and strength of their binding love. His next film "Der Krieger und die Kaiserin" (the immediate predecessor to "Heaven") was centered on the unusual and seemingly doomed love of two outsiders.

"Heaven" is quite different from the vastly underrated "Der Krieger..." and the slightly overrated "Lola", though. It is Tykwer's first film not to be shot in his native tongue German. Taking place in Italy and revolving around a British teacher and an Italian policeman the dialogue is in almost equal parts Italian and English. But all linguistic matters aside, even more important is Tykwer's change of style. He courageously refrains from all the audio-visual gimmickry that made his previous efforts such unique experiences - and it pays. The calmness in editing, the unobtrusive score and the absence of excessive video-clip aesthetics give the audience the chance to breathe in the wonderful photography by Tykwer's longtime cinematographer Frank Griebe and the touching, vulnerable performances by the divine Cate Blanchett and the ever talented Giovanni Ribisi (their coupling in "Heaven" strangely echoes their appearances in Sam Raimi's "The Gift", in which Ribisi's character seems to be equally obsessed with Blanchett's character, who plays a widow in both films.)

"Heaven" will definitley not be everbody's cup of tea. Tykwer's unapologetic commitment to heartfelt emotions will not ring true for every viewer. Those who won't buy into the melodramatic parts of the film might call it borderline-sappy or worse. Others might regret that the film doesn't follow it's thriller narrative, dropping it instead for a love story. Also, though the script is carefully constructed, some viewers might have problems with their suspension of disbelief. Not everything happening could be called believable or even logical. And there is some dialogue, that's hard to swallow. So some of you might chuckle instead of shedding tears. But if you're like me you will not care about those storytelling technicalities. You will thank the director for being true and not holding back on emotions. You will enjoy the minimalist realism of Ribisi's acting. And you will hope for the next time you can revel in the pure bliss that is called Cate Blanchett.

crummy story computer cinematography

Author: filmtherapy from United States
20 January 2012

I am not a fan of fake computer visuals although they have gotten so good they are almost hard to spot any more (hint no tree moves its leaves that artistically in a breeze). This film uses them extensively. The problem is they are too perfect and lack the flaws and clutter of reality so after awhile you are subconsciously bothered by them. At first they look fantastically good too good--they eventually become annoying and distracting after you figure out they are animation.

Then there was a problem with the story. A school teacher makes a sophisticated bomb? Unlikely. Then a police interpreter stenographer arranges her escape from a maximum security jail. Pretty lax these Italian prisons.

Then the actors themselves...the female lead gets on your nerves after awhile---the male lead actor gets on your nerves right away. Oh by the way her name is Phillipa and the police interpreter is Filipo... Reminded me of the magic flute...

Dial a miss for this one--fake high tech visuals and all.

Simply sublime

Author: j_solomons from Amsterdam, The Netherlands
27 January 2010

I will not bother with summarizing the movie. I challenge you to be surprised by the subject matter. I will however tell you it is an unthinkable premise, crafted poetically, seamlessly woven in a believable fabric. Blanchett and Ribisi effortlessly carry the movie, outshining the rest. That said, excellent performances delivered by all. While the movie plays out in a limited physical space, its realm of existence is anything but limited. It's almost like a play. The plot and mood absorb you gradually and seductively. This is my first review on IMDb after years of reading other reviews. And though this movie enjoys plenty of praise, here and elsewhere, I felt compelled to add mine, because it's so deserving of it. It never ceases to amaze me how surprised, and sometimes judgmental, some reviewers are at others. It seems people often forget we all look at life, and snapshots of it, through different eyes. Personally, I find that the reviews that hit home most with me, are those by people who seem to look through a similar lens. And mostly it ain't that hard to set them apart by reading between the lines. So if you seek a film with a story rather than just noise, and characters with depth and conviction, then this one is for you.

Good, but only for the committed

Author: mark-4469 from United States
8 July 2008

I'm only posting because the previous post is ridiculous.

I'm a huge fan of Krzysztof Kieslowski's work, and I have enormous respect for Cate Blanchett and Tom Tykwer but this is a film that tries EXTREMELY hard to be something it is not. Perhaps its a reaction against his work in Run Lola Run, but the pacing in this film is ponderous without the weight to justify it.

From a technical point of view it is actually quite averagely shot (especially when you consider where it's shot) and I would have personally liked to strangle the crane operator. I get the strong impression it was a modestly budgeted film.

Having said all that, its very watchable if you are open to slow, deliberately 'arty' cinema. There are several scenes of real tension and emotional power, and the writing is terrific. When I saw it just now on Cable, I wasn't aware of who had written it. Now it makes sense.

So enjoy if you are in the mood. It certainly sparked good lively debate in this house. :-) But it is not a 'thriller' and it's not mainstream.

It's also not the best film ever made.