IMDb > Heaven (2002/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Heaven More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 15: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

If you are a fan.

Author: allar100 from Washington
19 May 2003

I think that this is a movie for certain fans only. If you liked Run Lola Run, and the Princess and the Warrior, or if you are a fan of either of the lead actors, then you should see this movie. This is not to say that this is a bad movie, it is better to say that it is a well made movie. Nothing really grabs and takes hold. So, like I said, see it if you are a fan, otherwise, you could probably find a film you will like better.

Murderous, Mysterious and Magical (Possible Spoilers)

Author: Scottie (VWaltz77) from Galesburg, Illinois, U.S.A.
9 February 2003

I went into seeing this movie as a fan of Tom Tykwer, I left as a fanatic! Much different from the last 2 Tykwer films I had experienced (Lola Rennt & Der Krieger und die Kaiserin), Heaven provides a unique opportunity for the viewer to experience the humanity of the characters by employing very intrinsic means. I believe that the level of success this film achieves lies with not only the brilliant writing of the film, but also the cinematography; every shot was beautifully photographed (most notably, the love scene with the sunset behind the tree). The score was unbelievably simple, yet extremely effective, allowing viewers to experience the audible magic that the film provides. The closing shots of the film were AMAZING. Myself and the other viewers in the theater sat spellbound as we watched, waited, and realized why the film was titled as it was. Leaving a theater after a film had never felt so peaceful.

Bottom line: An entertaining ride with some hidden humor and beauty, 8/10.

An absolutely great drama.

Author: Inserts
7 February 2003

Heaven is a spectacularly well-written, directed, and acted. It is inspiring to see the depth of character and feeling so successfully portrayed in this film which deserves multiple Oscar nominations. I hope that more people will discover this film.

Heaven will reduce you to silence

Author: Silvie Wolff (Sillysil) from Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 February 2003

Contains Spoiler Because songs are popping into your head as soon as you read the title, most people go into the theatre singing and humming. But most won't leave the theatre that way; Heaven will reduce you to silence.

Philippa Paccard (Cate Blanchett) is an English teacher at a high school in Italy, where thirteen-year-old children are already addicted to drugs. By placing a bomb in the office of a rich businessman, who is at the top of the chain of drug suppliers, she tries to put a stop to this. Even if it's only for the completely crushed look on the face of Cate Blanchetts Philippa when she finds out that, in stead of the drug lord, four innocent people have died with the bomb exploding, you would have to see this film (If it were up to me, she would get the Oscar right now). The only warning I have to give you is that no matter how action packed this all sounds heaven is a very low motion film. There is a lot happening, but that is not the point. The film is solely about Philippa, about her emotions en the relationship that develops between her and the young police officer Filippo (Giovanni Ribisi) who helps her escape.

Heaven is full of beautiful pictures of Italian landscapes, full of wonderful dramatic moments, en only when it is absolutely necessary, a well-written piece of dialogue. There is nothing too much or too little about heaven and that is something you don't find much in cinemas anymore. My favourite film of 2002.

Heaven on earth

Author: sjcsf00 from US
16 January 2003

Relaxing and uncluttered; beautiful scenic and city shots; the use of color is magnificent; strong character building. This is truly heaven, in some aspects. Though I cringe at the thought of how Purgatory and Hell will be depicted.

Really Beautifully done

Author: saintschindler from Singapore
8 January 2003

i would just like to comment on the scene which started from when both characters are in the train. It is really beautifully synchronized with the music, it is very much like the movie "In the Mood For love" by hongkong acclaimed director Wong Kar Wai. There is a very distinct melancholic feeling to it (at least to me..)yet peaceful at the heart... i think it puts the audience between the state of dream and consciousness. Landscapes are beautifully Abbas Kiarostami's Taste of Cherry. Two words, so beautiful. So many long and wide shots towards the end, as if signifying what love and the harsh reality of life not only to the characters, but largely to the audience, people who are watching the show can feel the vastness of possibilities in life.

An interesting emotional film - and certainly good.

Author: artryda from Germany
5 January 2003

Although the movie has some flaws (you'll recognize them when you watch the movie) and is somewhat slow paced, the film is refreshing. It is obvious that this is an european film, showing typical german and polish influences (not surprising since the director Tom Tykwer is german and the writers were polish).

Cate shows a great performance, Ribisi is good but limited by his character's unchanging expression.

This is a film about emotions, about love and not about moral - that is very important to remember, otherwise it would be quite disappointing.

I gave it a good 8, nearly 9. The world needs more films like this one and this film certainly should have gotten more attention from the public.

Pessimistic and Joyless! The Portrait of a naive killer!

Author: Hernan Amado ( from Colombia, Popayán
26 December 2002

`Heaven' is different, very different from all the movies made in Hollywood. `Heaven' features Cate Blanchett and Giovanni Ribisi. It's from the director of `run Lola run'. It's a story about the main characters overstepping love and madness. It was written by Krysztof Kieslowky and his partner Krystof Piesewics. The perfection of cinematography and sound carry one of the most destructive love stories.

Heaven's direction was first offered to Anthony Miguella (Director of the acclaimed movie `the English Patient), but he declined; however he accepted to be the producer. Since he didn't accept, the direction was carried out by Tykwer (Creator of Run Lola Run)

Tykwer must be proud of having directed a disturbing, beautiful and intelligent film, which is a look into the darkest zones of soul. Whoever knows the work of Kieslowski, they know that destiny, fatality, and coincidences make his movies dark and depressive with characters who look for an exit. Tykwer made a couple of changes in the original screenplay, but the spirit from Poland is still felt.

At first the viewers behold the virtual images that a chopper produces and a voice that warns about the fatality of height! In the end, the viewer joins the final scenes with the first scenes to realize the painful and surprising ending.

This is the story of Philippa (Cate Blanchet) who's thin and beautiful. She's an English teacher, whose husband dies because of an overdose; she tries to get even and plants a bomb in a high-rise apartment, killing four innocent people, while her only target was the drug dealer. She's captured and questioned. While being questioned, she meets a young official (Giovanni Ribisi) who changes her life although she knows she's already dead for everybody and that her mistake sank her forever. She's already guilt-ridden.

In most Tykwer's movies, his characters are filled with despair, anguish and pain. In this case even though the viewers don't want to, they like the killer of 4 innocent people, and encourage her to be free, and go along with her on that trip, which gets her closer to hell. The viewer only waits for the moment, in which, the naive and quiet boy who acts on a simple animal impulse will save her. 7/10

A superb thoughtful dream

Author: Gerald Steele ( from Belfast
17 December 2002

I am convinced that this is one of the finest pieces of cinema that i have ever enjoyed. The scripting is a sublime work of art in itself; a story so perfectly told. A world of powerful proportions is created; a dreamy reality. The lead acting roles by P&R are beautifully done. To close, i cannot speak more highly of this film... i urge you to enjoy it.

It's been a long time since a movie gave me the shivvers

Author: robertsguenther ( from Chicargo
15 November 2002

Contains Spoilers But this one did so. My reaction emanated from the graceful and moving story given to us by Tom Tykwer who directed this script from a story penned by Kieslowski and his regular writing companion. Kieslowski, rest his soul, would have been honored by Tykwer's respectful handling of a subject so essential and personal as Christian allegory. We don't discuss religion much in polite society because it is such a personal matter, and so Kieslowski's vision of his faith renders this movie an incredibly personal piece.

First off, from reading others' comments, you either get this film or you don't. And I can see at least two ways of approaching it, from the perspective of a Kieslowski fan or that of a Christian. And when I say Christian, I don't mean the bible-pounding fire and brimstone stuff that passes for Christianity today, but its deepest core where love and redemption rule instead of judgement and moralistic dogma.

Kieslowski was known for approaching profound themes around him, whether it be the modern implications of the ten commandments, or the patriotic stripes of his adoptive homeland. And I personally believe he was quite masterful in dealing with these subjects. Blue, White and Red each were eloquent fugues on the themes of liberte, egalite and fraternite that resonated beyond the enigmatic French mindset to reach an American cretin such as myself. I recall Juliette Binoche awakening in the hospital after the tragic accident that claimed her husband and daughter and left her free of all her past to claim her place as the musical genius behind her husband's unfinished symphonic work. How would we handle such complete freedom if it were handed to any of us so abruptly? Would we march proudly and defiantly among those around us? Our first reaction would probably be much like Ms. Binoche's - she tried to kill herself. The rest of the film relates her gradual embrace of the freedom which was her birthright.

But this is a discussion of Heaven, the first of what was apparently to be a new trilogy based on the eternal realms of Heaven, Hell and Purgatory. (Does anyone know if the others were written or might be considered for production?) Kieslowski's departure was tragic, dying after writing the script, but Tom Tykwer has respectfully completed the project. The characters are rich and complicated, human to the core. The dialogue spare, allowing us to concentrate on the gorgeous imagery and personal implications of the story. These are hallmarks of Kieslowski.

And the allegory is beautiful, free of any preachiness or didacticism. Phillipa (Cate Blanchett) is human, an everywoman, one seeking justice but in a rude human manner which invariable goes awry. Grieving her husband's death from an overdose and frustrated at trying to get the police involved, she plants a bomb in the office wastebasket of the local drug lord. The bomb, however, detonates in the wastebasket of an unfortunate cleaning woman who happens to be on an ascending elevator with a father and his two small daughters.

Phillipa is hauled before the police to answer for the crime, and she is horrified to realize that she killed innocent people. (Sin, remorse). The cherubic Giovanni Ribisi is her translator before the Italian authorities, her intercessor, who determines with complete confidence of purpose to rescue her from certain judgement. His love for her is overwhelming, pure and complete. His name is Fillipo, emphasizing his identification with her. There is confession, there is a confrontation with Fillipo's father, another police offer, who grants his blessing on the couple based only on his love for his son.

The scene of Phillipa and Fillipo standing naked on a hill in the Tuscan country side under a hill sillouhetted at sunset is so simple, so elegant and profound, my jaw dropped.

I was moved by both Kieslowski's vision, which I found very much in keeping with his previous work, Tykwer's respect for that vision, not to mention the acting and cinematography. The vision is profoundly christian, the sort of humble, loving christianity we rarely see in popular culture. In this sense, I equate Heaven with Jesus of Montreal. I truly hope more people get to see this movie and "get" it as well.