IMDb > Heaven (2002/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Heaven

Heaven More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Mixed Bag

Author: saint999 from New York
8 October 2002

When this film is good it is very, very good but when it is bad it is horrid. Excellent cinematography, some excellent direction (the opening is put together like a jigsaw puzzle and the plot and counterplot during the interrogation of the main character was intricate and amusing), some excellent acting. Unfortunately the motivation of the main character is ridiculous beyond belief. When the Turin Police don't return her calls about a drug dealer she considers responsible for several deaths she decides to do the only possible thing: kill him with a BOMB set off in an office building DURING WORKING HOURS. If the character had gone totally beserk or was simply a homicidal moron or even a terrorist ... but no, this is a loving teacher of young children who faints in horror when she finds out four innocent people got killed. Cate Blanchett should get an Oscar for keeping a straight face. This crud passes for moral complexity but actually it is just a jumble of contrasting stereotypes stuffed into a single character. If you want to see a movie about how good people end up as vigilantes see In the Bedroom.

After messing around with "moral complexity" the movie opts for being a love story and the luscious cinematography serves it well. There are many striking, haunting images. Ribisi is convincing as a strange, sweet young man who falls off a cliff when he falls in love. Blanchett shows no feeling at all. Maybe she is still trying to keep a straight face - the dialogue is awful. Then the cops arrive with assault rifles. But in shoddy movies men with guns can't hit the side of a barn so the lovers are able to steal the police chopper.

Did Tykwer mess up the script or was it just unfinished?

How high can you go?

Author: lastliberal from United States
5 March 2008

Some movies use non-stop action to get your adrenaline pumping; others, like this one are more subtle. They use outstanding cinematography and beautiful music combined with great acting to gently wrap around you and captivate you.

Krzysztof Kieslowski's and Krzysztof Piesiewicz's script, along with Tom Tykwer's (Perfume: The Story of a Murderer) direction formed a beautiful shell for Cate Blanchette's (Elizabeth: The Golden Age, I'm Not There, The Aviator) magic as a woman who killed four people by mistake and wanted to pay for her crime.

Giovanni Ribisi (Saving Private Ryan, The Boiler Room) was quietly understated as the police officer who fell in love with her.

Frank Griebe's camera work was impressive, and the music was wonderful, some of it performed by Tom Tykwer, the director.

Another very interesting movie from Tom Tykwer

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
20 December 2006

After the internationally successful movie Run Lola run,Tom Tykwer could have directed more cool movies.But for his credit,he decided to make new things.Heaven is another very interesting serious movie directed by Tykwer and he brings an intense and deep drama.Tykwer challenged all the clichés.Cate Blanchett is a great actress and,here,she brings a brilliant performance.Giovanni Ribisi is another great actor who surprised me on the brilliant film Suburbia.Here,he brings an excellent performance.Heaven is a very competent serious and adult movie showing a romantic relationship with an innovative vision and without cheap sentimentalism.

A dreamlike romance, both interesting and not, for the same reasons.

Author: TheVid from Colorado Springs
17 September 2003

This dreamy fable about coincidence, fate, and lack of control is at once moody and involving while at the same time, overt and pretentious. It's a retread of themes Kieslowski has already firmly and brilliantly presented while he was alive, and this takeover project simply makes one appreciate the brilliance of his THREE COLORS TRILOGY. The fine performances and Italian production design make this a worthwhile venture, and the stream of events make for a sensitive and intriguing morality tale in spite of it's shortcomings. The steady cam work is rather overbearing, but obviously Twyker had fun with it. Not as mesmerizing or as deep as it hoped to be.

Easily Misunderstood

Author: Mark from Charlottesville VA
14 June 2003

I found this film complicated as it immediately challenges one's desire to sympathize with the main characters. One is a bomber, and the other a police officer who falls in love with her, so only those capable of dealing with complexity will enjoy this film on a higher level. Many seem to have found it tedious, that's too bad. It reminds me of people's opinions of La Dulce Vita, most viewers couldn't devote that much attention to something so drawn out and complicated, and as such dismiss it as being mediocre. But like many things in life, like poetry or literature, comprehension takes effort, attention, and patience. From what I understand this will be another trilogy in the vein of Krzysztof Kieslowski focusing on Dante's Divine Comedy. Heaven will be the first installment which should also include, of course, Inferno and Purgatory.

This film speaks to the redeeming power of love, and how it can allow forgiveness for even the most criminal of acts. Tykwer successfully brings the audience from condemnation to forgiveness as two people fall in love. It is not surprising such thoughtfulness might limit the appeal of a film.

If you like movies with a gun on the cover, do not see this one. If you like movies that are thoughtful, and will reward a deeper look into their workings and meanings this can be a very rewarding film. If you liked, for instance, The Seventh Seal, Dulce Vita, 8 1/2 or the Blue/White/Red trilogy this film will appeal to you. I thought it was the best film I saw last year. 9/10.

an epic love of moral paradoxes and redemptive crucifixion

Author: Donnie Zuo from Beijing, China
23 March 2007

At first watching I immediately knew that it'd be one of my all-time favorites. I sat and meditated in the darkness all through the night with Arvo Pärt's starlike notes repeating (I finished the film at 2:00 a.m.).

Heaven, a word too simple and widely used to impress, receives its most unusual meaning in this film.

She was reduced to distrusting in sense, justice and life, but was given the sole choice to lean on him. He forsook the bright future lying ahead, craving for the only chance to be her Adam. They had nothing in common except determination. One cannot keep flying higher and higher, but they did.

Cate was one of my favorite actresses until this film drew her out of the squad and made her the one and only beyond all my favorites, which is due to her excellent acting plus Tom Tykwer's directing and Kieslowski's script.

She cannot be categorized as a typical beauty, but her appearance is so gorgeously formed that every part of her face and every inch of her skin is so expressive and informative. She's got all the emotions and powers inside her body, and she never failed to overwhelm me by her role in any movie I've seen.

This is not the first time I heard Arvo Pärt's "Für Alina" and "Spiegel im Spiegel" in a movie, but this is the first time I felt the trinity of the film, the music and me.

When the notes from "Für Alina" sparsely stroke like the stars twinkling in the night sky and the space cam floating above the crowded city, I gave away all the trivial feelings and thoughts and as if told to go through a storm following this tranquility.

However, I was still over-thrilled by the ending. **(spoiler)Watching their helicopter ascending and hearing Arvo Pärt again**, my chest shivered and my tears silently flowed into rivers.

We don't bother to think about what comes after the ending. I bet everyone knows at a certain height the helicopter would finally malfunction and collapse and they would fall down to the ground. There'd be remains and blood, and those policemen would clear the scene and joke on this crazy criminal couple.

They just didn't care anymore. They've done their parts to fight reality and they knew they were doomed to lose, but they demonstrated their ultimate sarcasm and despise by crucifying themselves to a world understood but not trying to understand.

Sky and earth; hope and desperation; romance and reality; intelligence and ignorance; doubts and determination; justice and morality...All these contrasts in this film are too sharp to bear. My tears vaporized; my body stiffened; my mind was in a trance. I felt grateful and shamed as if they were crucifying themselves for the sake of all of us who have so limited capacity of action in this disappointing world.

I was lucky enough not to have a lover by my side when watching it because after the film I'd possibly dump him anyway for the shames and compromises we will suffer and a heaven we can never strive for --- like some Andre Gide's character.

We don't dare to do what Philippa and Filippo did, and this is the truth with which the film penetrated right through my heart.

Really, it is the kind of romance of moral paradoxes and redemption that requires too much of an individual to enjoy. I was overwhelmed and exploited. As for Krzysztof Kieslowski, it must've taken him one dream or more of all human beings to die. And it's worth it.

In a word, dull.

Author: snake77 from Portland, OR
20 December 2002

I'm at a loss to understand the praise this film seems to be getting. I thought it was basically a retelling of The Princess And The Warrior, but not even as interesting as that boring film. Going in I had great expectations - Cate Blanchett is a favorite of mine, and I'm still impressed by Tom Tykwer's Run Lola Run. Unfortunately Tykwer seems to have lost the energetic storytelling flair he showed in that film. Instead he appears to be searching for a slower, more soulful kind of cinema. But it's just not working. Meant to be dreamlike, Heaven ends up being more trance inducing. I just couldn't get interested in the story, characters or direction. Hopefully all involved will move on to do more interesting projects.

"Quiet, imaginative and graceful love-story..."

Author: Sindre Kaspersen from Norway
7 February 2013

German screenwriter and director Tom Tykwer's fifth feature film which was written by Polish filmmaker and screenwriter Krzysztof Kieslowski (1941-1996) and Polish screenwriter Krzysztof Piesiewicz, is based on their trilogy "Heaven, Hell and Purgatory". It premiered In competition at the 52nd Berlin International Film Festival in 2002, was screened in the Special Presentations section at the 27th Toronto International Film Festival in 2002, was shot on locations in Italy, England and Germany and is a USA-Germany co-production which was produced by producers Stefan Arndt, Frédérique Dumas, Maria Köpf, Anthony Minghella and William Rorberg. It tells the story about a schoolteacher named Philippa Paccard who is arrested after having placed a bomb in an office building in Turin, Italy. During interrogation, she learns that four innocent people were killed in the bombing and that she is believed to be a member of a terrorist organization.

Subtly and precisely directed by German filmmaker Tom Tykwer, this finely tuned fictional tale which is narrated from the two main characters viewpoints, draws an eloquent portrayal of a young Italian policeman who falls in love and begins sympathizing with an imprisoned English woman. While notable for it's naturalistic milieu depictions, sterling production design by production designer Uli Hanisch, cinematography by German cinematographer Frank Griebe and use of music, this character-driven and noir-like drama depicts two charming studies of character.

This modestly romantic, atmospheric and at times humorous thriller which is set in the city of Torino and in the medieval renaissance hill town of Montepulciano in Italy, is impelled and reinforced by it's cogent narrative structure, endearing characters and the likewise acting performances by American actor Giovanni Ribisi and Australian actress Cate Blanchett. A quiet, imaginative and graceful love-story from the early 2000s.

gorgeous

Author: Vincentiu from Romania
30 April 2012

for silence. for delicate story. for perspective of love, revenge, game with past and definition of truth. for images of Tuscany. for sky, romanticism, for Cate Blanchete and Giovanni Ribisi. for exploration of limits and special May 23, for masks of society, triumph of nuances, science of details, delicate touch, drawing of characters, heavy words, basic solutions, impression of fairy-tale or touching song, aura of things, looks and common pieces as parts of a puzzle who describes shadow of feelings. more than film - a meditation. or bitter way to understand reality more than a web without sense. a fascinating meeting with a fabulous mode to say the essential phrases.

Catherine Blanchett --grossly underrated, remarkably skilled

Author: willist1 from USA, Texas
2 June 2010

Blanchett is superb in Heaven. It is a movie that is subtly unnerving.

If you are not familiar with her work, this is a good place to view her remarkable skills.

Is she a terrorist? Not in reality.

Is she simply angry? Yes. Yet her drastic action is sparked by so much more than anger.

Why are her many complaints buried by authorities? Or, are they buried?

This one is memorable.

Blanchett is grossly underrated. If you've not seen her works do so. You will not be disappointed.