IMDb > Heaven (2002/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Heaven

Heaven More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Awesome!

Author: Alarming_Passion from Arcadia CA
15 May 2007

Cate Blanchett was awesome in this film, playing off of Giovanni Ribisi, who ain't chopped liver. You may remember him as the medic in Saving Private Ryan, or Charlotte's ignorant husband, John, in Lost in Translation.

Blanchett is one of those rare actors that become their character and you forget they're acting, which has to be the ultimate success for a actor. I can barely think of any others that pull this off; Nicole Kidman, Gary Oldman. Yes, Ribisi also. There are others. For Gary Oldman, at least, I think it may have worked against him if you consider fame a measure of success. He's so good you seldom recognize him as Gary Oldman. He's always his character. Come to think of it, considering Ribisi in his roles he's in the same boat.

Heaven was a great film. It's an incredible story and goes uphill from there. It's one of films you'll only find on late night cable or an indie channel. Incredibly underrated. It's a very touching and powerful story. It's timely in dealing with the official law enforcement paranoia over terrorism and the propensity to call someone a terrorist as a means to quickly legitimate brutal obtuse disregard for the human soul. Although, this aspect is a mere sideline to the plot.

The film is a superb story by Krzysztof Kieslowski and Krzysztof Piesiewicz; directed by Tom Tykwer. Heaven was the first of a trilogy, Heaven, Hell and Purgatory. But, Kieslowski unfortunately died before completing the last of them. Hell or L'Enfer as it's titled, is highly rated and apparently as touching a story as Heaven.

Heaven takes place in Italy but quickly reverts to English dialog making it an interestingly international piece.

Intriguing off-beat film

Author: Gnomenclat from New York, NY
25 February 2004

Cate Blanchette, as usual, is wonderful in this film. I have never seen Giovanni Ribisi in anything before but was quite impressed with his performance as well. I rented this movie just because Cate is in it, not knowing what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. The cinematography is gorgeous and the score is beautifully understated. After watching it, I had to look up the director and was surprised to find it was the same guy who did "Run Lola Run." I enjoyed that film too but "Heaven" was so different. Equally impressive is that the director also is the composer and the scores for "Run Lola Run" and "Heaven" couldn't be more different. This film is a must-see for Blanchette fans especially.

Another Tykwer Love/Hate Film

Author: ricephoto from Colorado
14 February 2004

Quite a few people seem to think Tykwer's last 2 films (Heaven and The Princess and the Warrior) are pretentious, and I suppose I can see what they mean. Still, I have to disagree. I'll take Tykwer's abstract, philosophical, but admittedly flawed films over most of the over calculated, manipulative and cold stories that are so common.

I just have to respond to some of the comments that have been made about "Heaven."

"The central story of intrigue and suspense is completely supplanted." "Heaven" is *not* about intrigue or suspense. So that "central story" is not supplanted at all.

"An Overrated Movie With a Bad Screenplay and a Ridiculous End" You're taking the end literally? Well, of course you think it is ridiculous.

My point is, I can understand people not liking this film. It is definitely not for everyone. The problem is, many of the reasons given for not liking it show that the posters just aren't getting what the point of the film really is. I suggest some of them watch it again and let go of what they think should happen and judge it by what actually does happen.

Fair at best

Author: ejwells from USA
1 September 2003

Director Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run) resurrects a previously unfilmed script by the late Krzysztof Kieslowski (writer/director of the three films "White," "Blue," and "Red," known as the Colors Trilogy), with fair results. Cate Blanchett plays a bomber, doing the wrong thing for the right reason, and Giovanni Ribisi plays a sympathetic Italian cop who sees the good in her during the interrogation process. He helps her bust out, they go on the run. Run Ribisi Run. Yawn Viewer Yawn. As with Kieslowski's other works, this becomes rather haughty and metaphorical, so unless you have a taste for such things, leave her on the shelf. Personally, I give 'er a 3.

The Fatalist

Author: eldraque from Surrey, B.C., Canada
25 August 2003

The philosophy of determinism has long been an unresolved philosophical question. On an emotional level, it manifests itself as having a semblance of free will, all the while feeling powerless against the forces conducting our lives.

An interesting, if ambiguous question. In comes Tykwer with a talented cast (Blanchett especially) and an ambitious camera. The photography in 'Heaven' had an appreciation for geometry, it cut from long shot to long shot, in different angles, while keeping the subject in frame. The third act of the film is surely the strongest, Tykwer takes full advantage of the sumptuous beauty of the Italian villa.

A quietly beautiful film, I think the stoically composed camera and musical score seem only to add more depth of meaning to the outbursts of emotion and frenetic action. The ending is more than any moviegoer could ever ask for.

mesmerizing

Author: moviepphone from Hendersonville
22 June 2003

I have to disagree with the comment posted with this film. This film absolutely draws you in. I'll admit it would be a plus to be a fan of Tykwer's work and have a brain in your head to truly enjoy it. But the sweeping camera shots of beautiful locations in Germany and Italy are amazing. How could a movie fan not appreciate that?

Murderous, Mysterious and Magical (Possible Spoilers)

Author: Scottie (VWaltz77) from Galesburg, Illinois, U.S.A.
9 February 2003

I went into seeing this movie as a fan of Tom Tykwer, I left as a fanatic! Much different from the last 2 Tykwer films I had experienced (Lola Rennt & Der Krieger und die Kaiserin), Heaven provides a unique opportunity for the viewer to experience the humanity of the characters by employing very intrinsic means. I believe that the level of success this film achieves lies with not only the brilliant writing of the film, but also the cinematography; every shot was beautifully photographed (most notably, the love scene with the sunset behind the tree). The score was unbelievably simple, yet extremely effective, allowing viewers to experience the audible magic that the film provides. The closing shots of the film were AMAZING. Myself and the other viewers in the theater sat spellbound as we watched, waited, and realized why the film was titled as it was. Leaving a theater after a film had never felt so peaceful.

Bottom line: An entertaining ride with some hidden humor and beauty, 8/10.

An absolutely great drama.

Author: Inserts
7 February 2003

Heaven is a spectacularly well-written, directed, and acted. It is inspiring to see the depth of character and feeling so successfully portrayed in this film which deserves multiple Oscar nominations. I hope that more people will discover this film.

Heaven will reduce you to silence

Author: Silvie Wolff (Sillysil) from Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 February 2003

Contains Spoiler Because songs are popping into your head as soon as you read the title, most people go into the theatre singing and humming. But most won't leave the theatre that way; Heaven will reduce you to silence.

Philippa Paccard (Cate Blanchett) is an English teacher at a high school in Italy, where thirteen-year-old children are already addicted to drugs. By placing a bomb in the office of a rich businessman, who is at the top of the chain of drug suppliers, she tries to put a stop to this. Even if it's only for the completely crushed look on the face of Cate Blanchetts Philippa when she finds out that, in stead of the drug lord, four innocent people have died with the bomb exploding, you would have to see this film (If it were up to me, she would get the Oscar right now). The only warning I have to give you is that no matter how action packed this all sounds heaven is a very low motion film. There is a lot happening, but that is not the point. The film is solely about Philippa, about her emotions en the relationship that develops between her and the young police officer Filippo (Giovanni Ribisi) who helps her escape.

Heaven is full of beautiful pictures of Italian landscapes, full of wonderful dramatic moments, en only when it is absolutely necessary, a well-written piece of dialogue. There is nothing too much or too little about heaven and that is something you don't find much in cinemas anymore. My favourite film of 2002.

Heaven on earth

Author: sjcsf00 from US
16 January 2003

Relaxing and uncluttered; beautiful scenic and city shots; the use of color is magnificent; strong character building. This is truly heaven, in some aspects. Though I cringe at the thought of how Purgatory and Hell will be depicted.