IMDb > Forgive Me Father (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Forgive Me Father More at IMDbPro »

Depressingly Bad, Yet Oddly Enjoyable

Author: Scars_Remain from United States
25 January 2008

While wandering through Wal-Mart, I came across their $1 DVD shelves and saw this bad boy. There's a good reason that this film is only a dollar and it's because most people with a working brain wouldn't pay anymore for it. It's a terrible, wannabe blaxploitation film, but it's still pretty fun to watch, and laugh at.

To be totally honest, I've seen better actors on Barney and Friends. I really liked the idea of a former hit-man turned priest turned back to hit-man but it seems the producers didn't execute it very well. It was also way too long. It'd definitely a good movie for a laugh and probably would have been better if I had seen it with some friends.

If you're bored and low on cash, go to Wal-Mart, pick this up and enjoy. Don't expect much of anything but still be prepared to be entertained.

Alright Movie if I go to the $2 show

Author: patterson-18 from United States
8 April 2017

The movie was alright I guess. I just don't know why they keep that no talent, wannabe actor, Jack Rooney in a movie. This guy can't act his way out of a paper bag. Most of his roles have none or very little speaking in it. It's like they use him for filler space. I really can't understand why they use people like this in a movie. Audiences are a lot smarter these days.

well....

Author: Slutmagic2021 from bacon
10 May 2008

I bought this movie in the $1 bin at Walmart because I thought it was called "IVAN ROGERS IS ON FIRE" and it made me laugh. Then I found out it was just called "ON FIRE" starring Ivan Rogers. Well anyway I popped it in and started to watch it and actually kinda got into it. I mean the story isn't original or anything but for some reason I watched all of it which I didn't expect to do (since I bought it for the title). But is it a good movie? Well.....lets take a look.

The movie suffers from 3 main problems:

#1. The acting ranges from awful to over the top with the exception of a few. #2. The movie has things in it that I am sure sounded cool on paper....but they are not when you see them I.E. every time Rogers kills someone the light shines on just his eyes. #3. Too many drawn out scenes. The movie clocks in at about 2 hours and 10 minutes....there is also a 2 minute scene of him feeling a gun.....no joke....just him....feeling a gun and there are a few more scenes like that to.

However, that said, I have seen much much worse movies in which I payed over 1 dollar for so in that respect...I will give ON FIRE a solid "C". Not really that bad or good, but somewhat entertaining.

"Forgive Me Father" review

Author: David Syczylo from United States
18 October 2005

The film "Forgive Me Father" was a great story of family connection and how one member of the family took action when things were done wrong.

The characters in the film were all well written and portrayed. The only problem with the entire film is how the word "F!!K" is used obsessively by some characters. Just a little over the top for me. Other than that is was a great film. It made me think that maybe out there things that happen in this film are true and could happen today in our world or even one's own backyard.

You can't judge a person by the way they look, act, or are portrayed. You can easily miss the obvious. A great lesson for anyone to learn.

Vengence with a Vengence!!!

Author: Ronin96753 from Maui
27 March 2002

Forged in the violence of a hit man, then tempered in spirit as a priest. Father Virgil emerges in the end as god's vengeful tool eradicating the bad guys...a killing priest with a just cause. A must see for movie lovers everywhere!!

Excitingly refreshing and a must see all who abhore evil.

Author: LaSimba M. Gray,Jr. from Memphis, Tennessee
27 February 2002

As a minister of the gospel, I was arrested by the topic of the movie and intrigued by the subjects: a priest and forgiveness. To my pleasant surprise, this movie is about a "holy indignation" against evil. This same indignation gave birth to this nation,the civil war and the civil rights movement.

Ivan Rogers is to be commended for the vision. For too long, African American characters have victims rather than victors. The script is well written,the acting is superb and priest wins over evil. A must see movie for all who abhore evil.

Indie film trying too hard

Author: mlescully from Indianapolis, IN
8 February 2002

There is a reason you don't see too many independent action films. The action film, as a rule, is a huge undertaking which needs to make money. Indie films are generally the opposite, and for good reason. It may be unfair, but without major studio support, the technical demands of an action film are just generally out of reach. Forgive Me Father tries very hard to make up the difference, but falls short on most accounts. The script has an interesting premise, but quickly lapses into stilted and cliched action-film speak. The direction and pace was too slow to keep my attention from scene to scene, and there was a whole lotta "acting" going on. I found myself thinking that the actors themselves were not fully committed to what they were doing, and therefore I was not committed either. The camera work was rudimentary, some of the props and effects were laughable, and at one point, I even noticed makeup on one actor's collar. I understand that Rogers was attempting to utilize film noir style with his direction, especially with the dialogue and stylized lighting design, but the rest of the film was simply not stylized enough to support such a choice. All of this, in my opinion, adds up to sloppy filmmaking. If you're in Indianapolis, and are interested in seeing a home-grown film, you might wanna check this one out. Otherwise, I'd say you might as well give it a pass.

Finally - a real suspense thriller!

Author: Jeff Menke from Ohio, US
24 January 2002

Ivan Rogers seems to be the only one making movies today that entertain without treating his audience like they can't think and need to have everything rammed down their throat. I've always felt that a movie, especially a mystery/suspense, should lead the viewer but not give everything away in the first 10 minutes. This movie kept me on the edge of my seat and gave me more than just a few surprises. Considering that I thought I was pretty good at figuring out what will happen next, this one got me but good! Forgive Me Father is a movie for movie lovers. Everyone, especially today's moviemakers, should see this film. I can't wait to see it again and what comes next from Mr. Rogers.

Author: vegasblue2000 from Vancover, British Columbia
1 June 2001

A Nice Film Not to be overlooked.

Some of the best drama in the business of filmmaking. A little of what everyones deepest desires and fears are relaying in the short span of this movie. The camera is moved and with regard to the drama portrayed in the movie. You can tell Ivan Rogers used a very long lens in the entire movie to bring us closer to the people. The talent is good, the actors portray their characters with a realness not captured in other movies today.

Every scene feels real, like you are there hundreds of miles from your safe home to deal with these people as Ivan deals with them. Slowly and without remorse as they showed no remorse for his doctor and loved brother. This movie is about the revenge all of us wish we could take out. Sure its convenient that he is an ex hitman. HOW SAVVY THAT HIS FINAL HIT IS TO TAKE OUT HIS FORMER BOSS, REMINDS ME OF THE POPULARITY OF THE SOPRANOS.

Although some people quickly overlook and disregard this film, it is a sad comparison to other movies.

Death Wish with a twist

Author: vampire_circus from Indianapolis
2 April 2001

Now that Charles Bronson has stopped bringing Paul Kersey to the screen as the stone-voiced avenger of the Death Wish films, Ivan Rogers has brought us Virgil Garrett. This cold-eyed instrument of vengeance is also a man of the cloth, bringing an additional element to the harsh judgment he brings to those who have "sinned." Get right to the action, punctuate the violence, and make sure your villains are really villainous. . .and gear up!