IMDb > Joe Dirt (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 21: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Enjoyable light hearted entertainment.

Author: The Grand Master from Australia
12 March 2015

Joe Dirt is one of those comedies that you will either like or dislike, and I found myself pleasantly surprised that Joe Dirt was an enjoyable movie. It's not a great movie, but it does not deserve the negative reception.

David Spade plays the titular Joe Dirt, who is a janitor working in a Los Angeles Radio station who everybody regards as a loser. When shock-jock radio host Zander Kelly played by Dennis Miller invites him on air to talk to him. From there Joe tells his story about being abandoned at the Grand Canyon by his parents at the age of 8 and his childhood spent in a series of foster homes. Joe Dirt's story wins over listeners and Joe gains a large fan base as well as a new group of friends who like him for who he is, including an old childhood friend of Joe's named Brandy played by Brittany Daniel, a high school janitor with a mysterious past named Clem played by Christopher Walken, and an Indian tracker who calls himself Kicking Wing played by Adam Beach.

Sure Joe Dirt is not the greatest movie out there, but by no means that it is a bad movie. There is no denying that Joe Dirt is enjoyable light hearted entertainment that certainly passes the time.

Check out Joe Dirt and enjoy it for what it is.

6/10.

hated Dennis Miller, David Spade alright

Author: SnoopyStyle
2 September 2014

Joe Dirt (David Spade) is a dirty janitor working in a Hollywood radio station. DJ Zander Kelly (Dennis Miller) interviews him for his show. Joe starts recalling his life since being lost at the Grand Canyon at the age of 8 (Erik Per Sullivan). He helps country girl Brandy (Brittany Daniel) get her dog's frozen balls off the porch. They become best of friends but he eventually leaves to search for his family. He befriends a soft spoken Indian Kicking Wing (Adam Beach). As a carnie, he catches the eye of trashy Jill (Jaime Pressly).

I really hated Dennis Miller in this. I can't stand him and his fake radio show. It puts me off the movie right away. David Spade is somewhat likable. He's not really funny but he has some marginal charm. I would rather have just a straight up Joe Dirt adventure with his girl Brandy and sidekick Kicking Wing.

Joe Dirt's a funny comedy classic !!

Author: tbills2 from United States
11 February 2014

Joe Dirt is the greateeeeeest!!! Joe Dirt is very clearly an awesome and hilarious flick! I crack up every time I watch it! It's got countless funny moments and it's a real comedy classic!! David Spade is the greatest as Joe Dirt as he's the funniest guy around for the part. Joe Dirt is well-written and a well-shot comedy. Joe Dirt has a surprisingly heartfelt story to go with the jokes. Joe Dirt is a very visually bright movie. Brittany Daniel is very visually hot in Joe Dirt. She's amazing! Christopher Walken is so freaking funny in Joe Dirt. He's hilarious! Dennis Miller is right at home in his quirky and generous role as radio talk show host in Joe Dirt. Miller's role with Spade really makes the movie hit home. Jaime Pressly is seriously the hottest girl ever just look at her in Joe Dirt. Jaime looks unbelievably sexy, like always, as she is getting down and dirty with Joe Dirt. Kid Rock is great in Joe Dirt, really. Kid Rock can really act, not really. All of the cameos in Joe Dirt are funny and memorable! I love Joe Dirt! I'm watching it right now! It's so funny!

"Does ya mother sew? Boom! Get her to sew that!"

Fun with dirt, not fun dirt !

Author: ahmed elshikh (ahmed_abd_elreheem@yahoo.com) from Egypt
28 May 2012

I used not to expect much from (David Spade). But this time, it is different.

The plot of the radio show is creative, with a lot of comic situations. (David Spade) is relatively funny, doing his serious moments rightly. The meaning of "sometimes the journey is more important than its goal" is unique and well served. The pace is vivid, maybe too vivid to make anything deep or touching, but it worked for making such a light comedy anyway, with kind of human character too. The soundtrack caught the 1980s spirit wonderfully, and strengthened the emotional side, if not carried it out.

(Christopher Walken), who almost doesn't say no to any movie offered to him, is a good addition for every thing he's in, even if he's there for a few scenes, and obviously this movie needed a name beside (David Spade) to be sold. (Rosanna Arquette) did nothing memorable. Again, another name. OK, to sum it up, this is a case where (Spade) was the cast, and everybody else was in a cameo. That could have sounded bad, but surprisingly not here! THOUGH, WAIT A BIG MINUTE! Did this movie contain some really REALLY dirty humor? Well, HELL YEAH !

The problem is that the nice movie we were talking about savored showing freaky and ugly stuff, while it could avoid it easily. For instance, instead of seeing the sweetheart's father's leg cut off, it was possible to see the train hits him to fly in the sky, then lands in a cactus plantation, something of that sort. Some, if not most, of the jokes are involving farts, blood, feces, private parts, sex, amputated legs or fingers, …to the end of the cheap filthy list. But apparently the writers, Spade himself and his buddy Fred Wolf, chose their road earlier, planning that as a big part, and if you have doubts; remember their movie's title !

There is a plot hole concerning how the lead believed that his parents died 25 years ago, while he was told that they left their home 15 years ago?! And they never told us why those parents left their boy earlier? Or where is his sister? They just forgot these matters.

The movie is beautifully crowded with many small chuckles here and there, like the man who says wisely "Home is where you think it is" while the lead mishears it, thinking it a totally another thing! However, it has one big laugh, and I mean the lead's dream of exploding a nuclear bomb for mere playing. That was genuinely hilarious !

This is a swift fun, with dirt. I love swift fun, but not dirt; especially when it's shown as fun !

A Hilarious Movie for Spade

Author: jts0405 from United States
31 October 2008

David Spade is normally seen as the second man in all major comedy movies such as Tommy Boy and more recently The Benchwarmers. But this movie as well as Dickie Roberts really showcases what main star talent he really does have. I think Spade is a very good sarcastic comedian and that really develops on what kind of character he chooses to play in a movie. This movie really gives a new setting for Spade. this film Joe Dirt, that he wrote alongside Fred Wolf, is a very hilarious and quite memorable film to keep fresh in your mind for a long time to come. This was really a huge step for Spade, as this was his first starring role and I truly believed he pulled through and showed us how creative he truly can be.

Take it for what it is - a Comedy!

Author: savagesteve13 from Tulsa, OK
7 August 2008

You would think that such a simplistic premise would make for a crappy movie but it was hilarious. Lets face it, dumb rednecks are funny. There were some great supporting actors like Christopher Walken who as usual steals the show when he's on, and the Silence of the Lambs thing was absolutely golden, with Brian Thompson doing a great parody even though he only had a few minutes of screen time. The cameos are many, and the humor is wicked and pulls no punches. Some of it is outright dumb at first but is explained later on, such as the nuke which seemed so cheesy with 50's file footage....but it explains why near the end of the movie. Overall its good mindless entertainment, and Spade does a surprisingly good redneck. I think it helps that he's a skinny. I'm no big fan of Dennis Miller but as a supporting character he makes sense here, and mercifully he's more the straight guy than the unfunny guy trying to be funny (his normal role). Kid Rock is so redneck he reminds me of the locals around here.

Well.....................

Author: joethecoolioest from United States
6 February 2008

OK this movie was produced by Adam Sandler so it has to be good!!Well this is pretty funny but not excellent!!!David Spade was really funny in this movie and he had a lot of funny jokes.Also it has Christopher Walken and David Spade in it so it was really funny!!!!!The only thing is that well I ca't put my finger on it but it just wasn't one of my favorites.I think it was just because i was used to Jim Carrey,Adam Sandler, and Chevy Chase's kind of humor.I find David Spade to be funny but he just isn't like them.But this was a good movie and you should go out and at least rent it.You will get some pretty good laughs.Also the poop on the head part was HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!So go out and rent this!

my favorite movie

Author: cody lowery from United States
9 September 2007

This is my favorite movie hands down.Usually i don't like sappy movies like this,but something about joe dirt is just cool.From a good soundtrack,to the mullet hair cut(i had a mullet when this came out).One of the big draws is that chick who plays brandy,i mean DAMN!.And that sweet ass hemi he drives at the end,i wish i had one of those.Christopher Walken is funny as hell,and so is kickin'wing and the blonde chick who plays that southern hoe bag.And some really great quotes to.From walkens taxi driver talk to himself,to "you got a problem speak into the mic,and i got back up mic right here blow,blow,and they ain't got no feedback".but the funniest quote has to be after the a-bomb scene."i got's the poo on me!"over all,funny ass movie,buy it or rent it.and remember,lifes a garden,dig it.

David Spade's Best...

Author: jhaze-1 from United States
29 March 2006

*Warning: Contains Spoilers.*

Joe Dirt is a comedy about a loner with a questionable hairstyle, which is a wig, telling his story over the radio. The story is Joe Dirt goes to the Grand Canyon with his parents at 8-years-old and is left there. So he goes off to find them. His journey takes him from foster home to foster home until he is old enough to go out on his own. He meets people such as Brandy, Buffalo Bob (hilarious parody of the Silence of the Lambs), and a Indian firecracker salesman. Finally, at the end, he meets his jerk parents, threatens to kill himself, and has a happy ending.

This movie is genuinely funny at a lot of parts. Such as the before mentioned Silence parody, the "waste bomb", the turd meteor, and the school. However, there are also a few stupid jokes, like the dog stuck on the porch, any part with the annoying Kid Rock, and the very, very beginning. A side from some dumb stuff, this is probably David Spade's best. I give this movie four crappy tanks out of five.

Surprisingly good

Author: SuperSideSwipe from Netherlands
3 November 2005

Looking at the box i was expecting a total turd of a movie, but to my surprise it was a much different movie then i had thought it would be.

The plot is actually somewhat original for these types of comedy's. The telling of Joe Dirts tale really sucks you in and makes you sympathise with him. And while all that is going on, you also get treated to a few pretty funny scenes.

Now unlike many others, i have always thought that David Spades was a good comedy actor, (i especially enjoyed his movies with Chris Farley) and that feeling was only enforced after watching this.

Also i have to say that Brittany Daniel is a great addition, perhaps not the best actress in the world, but she sure pulled off that role just as it was intended, very pretty girl.

So in short, this is a complete no brainer comedy, which manages to add some dept and emotion into a pretty decent plot.

Definitely worth recommending