IMDb > Joe Dirt (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Good for some laughs

Author: Jakealope from Albany, NY
22 December 2001

Before I saw this movie, I was turned off by all the negative reviews and the fact that it was a SNL spinoff. But I bought a used tape from my video store. Instead of war coverage and serious drama, this has become a ray of hope. Make no mistake, it ain't winning any Oscars. But the slapstick is funny, has great co-stars like Joe Don Baker and Chris Walken. It has a good plotline, a search for his family. It's a lot of laughs and fun for plebes at heart. Serious, deep people will be offended, but when we try to make humor serious and deep, we're in trouble.

This movie is a garden...dig it!

Author: Andy (Incubus_Reborn) from Maine
10 June 2003

Joe Dirt is simply one of those underappreciated comedies. Having reacquainted myself with it recently (and repeatedly) after having not seen it in almost two years, I myself am beginning to realize that. Not only is it thoroughly funny, it is entertaining and fast paced. David Spade plays Joe Dirt, a kind, well meaning radio-station janitor with an unusual hairdo (mullet!) and extremely bad-luck. He shares his life-story with the listeners of the radio station, which mainly focuses around his never-ending search for his parents (who ditched him on a family trip to the Grand Canyon) and his unrecognized love for hometown hottie Brandy. Joe meets many unusual people along the way, has many misadventures, and as if you couldn't guess, sets himself up for many disgusting and painful situations. The humor is pretty low-brow, but who cares? The movie is funny and that's the bottom line. What I like about this movie is that I can just turn it on and let go. The movie is so well-made for a simple comedy. Spade wrote the script himself, and you can tell he took his time. Every event in the movie happens for a reason and alludes to something that will occur later down the road. Also, Joe Dirt is Spade's first likeable character. You actually feel for this doofus. Even though he looks like white-trash, he is still a good person. Which of course, leads to this movie's moral: Good things come to good people. Or as Joe would say "Life's a garden, dig it!" or "You can't have 'no' in your heart!" Christopher Walken has a hilarious bit as Dirt's co-janitor at an elementary school that has been placed in the witness protection program and Kid Rock plays Joe's bully perfectly (I love the part where he reads the note just like those guys in high school who couldn't read past 2nd grade reading level). But Spade is the real star here. Too bad this character/movie never took off. I seriously love this movie. It is consistently hilarious, has dozens of quoteable lines (stuff that you say to people in your daily routine) and has an overall feel good vibe to it. I don't know how anyone can trash this movie. For one thing, it's an Adam Sandler production, you know what type of humor you're in for. And secondly: The movie is called 'Joe Dirt!' There are no pretensions here, folks. I wish there were more movies like this out there. And although not everyone appreciates it, I am glad that I at least have this movie and can watch it a million times if I want to. Joe Dirt, you're my hero.

Funny as hell

Author: (billybrown41@hotmail.com) from Kimberling City, MO.
17 December 2001

Yeah, this movie took a trashing from the critics, but what would you expect from a movie produced by Adam Sandler? I had a blast. Joe Dirt had a rocking soundtrack, I likeable lead character that you really want to beat up, a rockin' soundtrack, funny dialogue and situations, and the usual slew of Sandler humor; fart jokes, humping dogs, etc.

Even though, about a half-dozen of these movies come out a year, Joe Dirt stuck in my mind mostly because of its hilarious premise. Dennis Miller also shined as the Howard Stern-like DJ who rips into Joe every chance he gets through out the movie, with insuluts like, "you are exquisitely pathetic" and such.

All in all, I really enjoyed. Movies like this aren't aiming for Oscars. They're just to make you laugh, which this one does. Kid Rock also has a funny cameo as Robby, the bully who, like everyone else in the film, loves giving Joe a hard time.

One of the best comedies I have ever seen...

Author: Kdogownz from United States
23 January 2007

Joe Dirt, played perfectly by David Spade, has to be one of the best comedies I have seen in the last 20 years. While the plot may be far-fetched, the movie does stick to it and is set up perfectly.

Alongside Spade, Dennis Miller's cheap jabs at Dirt are absolutely priceless. His encounter with Miller sets up the whole premise for the movie, and the story begins. It takes you through different experiences Dirt has had from the time he lost his parents at the Grand Canyon all the way to the present.

Christopher Walker also makes a great appearance in the movie.

If you like movies such as Dodgeball, Old School, Tommy Boy, Black Sheep, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, etc... you will love this one. You have to judge this movie on what it is aimed to do, and that is tell a story of perseverance from Dirt, who gets picked on throughout life and keeps a good attitude, which is a welcomed message. And first and foremost, the movie is made to keep you smiling throughout, and for that it accomplished the goal to perfection. 10/10

Ya Gotta Love 'Joe Dirt'

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
10 July 2006

For a typical low-brained Hollywood comedy of this era, it was a pretty nice film. Of course, few if any modern-day comedies are "family fare" and this one isn't either but the lead character is a gentle, harmless guy. David Spade is very entertaining as "Joe Dirt," a down-and-out nice guy (but not exactly pure, either) who tells his tale of trying to find his parents to sleazy disc jockey "Zander Kelly" (Dennis Miller). Brittany Daniel is an attractive, likable female lead.

It's a fast-moving hour-and-a-half. Some of the scenes are outrageous, such as a dog getting his - can I say this? - testicles stuck to the porch. Yes, it's good family fare!! Ha. Ha. No, really, this was a funny film and worth looking for if you need a laugh. I'm surprised there wasn't a sequel.

Surprisingly enjoyable

Author: Trevor Gensch (trevorg@consultant.com) from Brisbane, Australia
21 May 2001

I braced myself for yet another film with low grade humour, plenty of bodily function jokes and not enough plot to go around.

Well, 'Joe Dirt' has all that and more... but surprisingly it turned out to be not half bad.

Perhaps the day of the preview caught me in a particularly good mood, because this story of a white trash loser searching for his parents who left him for dead at the Grand Canyon when he was eight was relatively enjoyable entertainment.

The movie is told primarily in flashback; Joe stumbles into the studio of a radio disc jockey who coaxes out of him his incredible life story. In the process Joe Dirt becomes a media darling as his story of woe and misfortune is heard by an ever sympathetic audience.

This is another movie which relies on the gross and disgusting to get its laughs; dogs balls stuck to the front porch, being covered in excrement, blowing up atom bombs, consumed by alligators and much much more!

The movie works for the most part because of David Spade's affable loser Joe Dirt. He plays a character that is not a 100 miles away from his 'Just Shoot Me' personna - a loveable idiot. He goes through life having all these setbacks - but he still maintains his positive outlook.

The movie does lag a bit at the three quarters mark, but this is a minor quibble for a film that does what is sets out to with a lot more style than its lamentable cousins.

A whole lotta fun

6 out of 10.

One of my favorite guilty pleasures

Author: Doominator777 from Oklahoma
22 December 2002

Okay, "Joe Dirt" doesn't have much of a plot and to say it loses focus is an understatement. But I really love this lighthearted tale.

I thought David Spade turned in a wonderful performance as Joe Dirt and it was nice to see him not do his usual cynical act. Yes, it is campy and it was supposed to be. And it is stupid, it was supposed to be.

The acting I think is good from all, although some are rightfully given straight roles as I don't think Brittany Daniels could handle anymore than what she was given.

Anyway, there isn't a whole lot to say about a movie like "Joe Dirt." I guess if you've liked Adam Sandler movies but only wished they might be a little less cruel then this is your movie.

The "atom bomb" scene always kills me, I love this movie. You know a movie isn't all bad when you start laughing and you female friend starts looking at you as if you are mentally challenged.

"You can't have no in your heart!" 6 out of 10.

The Ish!!!

Author: Tony Sunshine from United States
23 January 2007

I usually hold myself to a high movie standard. I usually would not consider a movie like Joe Dirt the "cream of the crop." But like many other times in my life I was wrong. Joe Dirt is a fantastic heart-felt flick staring David Spade as a pathetic white trash orphan in search of his parents. He meets many a folk along the way leaving an impression with them all. I saw this in the theater and thought, "wow what a funny movie." But then I caught in on Comedy Central a few years later and lo and behold I was hooked. Good plot, great humor, hot chicks, and even Kid Rock playing his white trash nemesis (it was a real stretch for him :P). If you see this movie for 10 bucks at Walmart or Blockbuster do yourself a favor and buy it. It will keep you company on even your darkest nights.

Life's a garden, DIG IT!!!

Surprise surprise

Author: horrorfilmx from United States
15 January 2007

I'm no huge fan of David Spade and I tend to find the whole ex-SNL-star feature film genre lame and unfunny, but I happened to catch JOE DIRT while flipping through the channels yesterday afternoon and was intrigued enough to watch. And oddly enough I stayed intrigued for the next 90 minutes. The humor was crude, but rarely so much so as to turn me off, and the cast was very good (sure Dennis Miller was obnoxious, but isn't that his shtick?) but what surprised me the most was how caught up in the story I became. Sure it's farcical and impossible to take seriously, but for some reason I couldn't turn it off --- I kept hanging in there to see what would happen next. Even the slightly lame-ass ending didn't ruin things for me. I'd have to say JOE DIRT beats the crap out of similar, more favorably received movies like TOMMY BOY (which I found simply unbearable). Give it a chance.

"I choked Linda Lovelace." <Joe Dirt's T-shirt>

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
12 January 2003

"Joe Dirt" was a free rental from my local library and I was prepared, even anxious to totally dislike it, while passing a cold and rainy winter day inside. While it is no masterpiece by any stretch, and uses jokes focused on every kind of possible emission of bodily gases, fluids, and solids, there is something about David Spade's earnest if simple portrayal of "Joe Dirt" that adds up to a rather fun and enjoyable film. Stir in pretty, sweet, and stacked Brittany Daniel as Brandy, Joe's unlikely best friend and future mate, and you have an enjoyable movie of almost no consequence. About the same lasting impression as watching an episode of Saturday Night Live on TV.

About 2/3 into the film there is a scene in front of the abandoned home in Baton Rouge where Joe's parents used to live, and an old Cajun says to Joe in an almost unintelligble manner, "Home is where you think it is." He says it three times, and Joe never does understand it, but that in fact becomes the whole moral of the story. Joe eventually finds his parents, finds out they left him on purpose 25 years earlier in the Grand Canyon while he was playing in a garbage can, and returns to Brandy in Silvertown, the "postcard town" that Joe had discovered years earlier.

There is a lot in the way "Joe Dirt" is done that reminds me of "Forrest Gump." He is telling his story to a stranger, in this case Dennis Miller playing a radio talk show host. Joe, much like Forrest, bumbles from one seeming random place to another, and each time has a great influence on those he encounters. In each story there a beautiful girl he admires and secretly wants but doesn't think he is good enough.

The scene I found funniest was the night Joe met Brandy. He was stealing hubcaps to get money for food, when the dog on the porch started barking. As he started to run off, Joe noticed that the dog couldn't move. It's testicles had frozen to the porch. (They used a stretchy prostetic similar to Jeff Daniel's tongue frozen to the ski lift in Dumb and Dumber.) Brandy came out onto the porch, Joe says to get some warm water and a spatula ("No, not a fork, oooh..."), they free the dog, Joe and Brandy are fast friends.

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]