IMDb > Spirited Away (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi

Spirited Away More at IMDbPro »Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi (original title)

Page 9 of 92: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

I rarely feel like watching a movie again straight after.

Author: tj_director from North Wales, UK
14 August 2003

I either post a review when i loathe a film, or feel a film has been unfairly dissed.. but in this case it's because i completely adored it.

I think Miyazaki is a genius, i really do, people compare the story to Wizard Of Oz or Alice In Wonderland, and they are very similar in content, a fantastic new world, and a young girl who must learn more about herself and others to leave, and just like those 2 stories this one if FULL of imagination, every single minute is filled with something new and fresh, borrowing from Japanese mythology as well as Miyazaki's previous creations (i.e. the adorable soot creatures), it ranges from the surreal to the sublime. The story can be written on a post it note, yet my biggest flaw with the film is that is a good half hour too short! i simply didn't want the film to stop.. but i suppose that was the whole point of being spirited away...

I think there are people who might find things a bit too wierd and tripped out, but they can't deny the overall message of the film, it isn't some huge life changing event that the hype makes it feel to be, it is just one of the most amazing films ever made, there is a beautiful subtlely to it all.. it doesn't have some mad epic grandouise adventure plot, there are no mega set pieces, no songs or big numbers, the film is mostly set in one building, there are times when you don't know where the story is going, or if there is any.. but this is a common feeling in Miyazaki films, they aren't about getting those pre-set highs or step by step film structure.. they are more about escaping to another world and being a part of it.. which is in my mind the greatest single thing a film or book can do... and this film achieves it, by the end you will be moved, maybe not to streaming tears, but you will feel something..

this film will mean something to everyone! a genuine masterpiece :)

The greatest movie of the modern era

Author: Stuart from Melbourne, Australia
4 July 2003

Spirited Away: 10/10

Wow, WOW. I missed Spirited Away at the cinemas, because it was before my movie craze that has developed this year. It looked interesting from the commercials I saw, although I didn't really have any clue what it was about - Yubaba's giant head was scary. I picked up the limited edition DVD box, which is beautifully designed and includes an awesome special feature DVD. I watched the movie with English dubbing, which I'm always wary of, but it was superbly done this time. On the surface, this looks like a children's story, but in execution it's for everyone. Spirited Away was one of the most enchanting experiences I've ever had, Miyazaki produced one unbelievable masterpiece, deep in Japanese culture. It was a rollercoaster of emotions, and I never looked away from the TV screen. Everything, EVERYTHING was so perfect. The animation was beautiful, the music was beautiful, the story was beautiful, this was PERFECTION. If there is one DVD you get this year, make it this! It's an unforgettable experience, and is one of the greatest things I've ever seen. The special feature DVD is great as mentioned, and "The Making of..." makes you love the movie even more, and respect Hayao Miyazaki as a brilliant man and director.

the best

Author: Kaidi Kruusmaa (Kaidi.Kruusmaa@mail.ee) from tallinn, estonia
7 April 2003

i went to see that in the movie. it was in japanese version. it was the greatest anime i have ever seen. so, go to the movie to see it. and one thing else- it was worth The Oscar completely. i also like very much the music. it was great. i am already waiting the cassette so i could see it over and over again.

Beautiful and unpredictable

Author: toth_csilla from Hungary
6 March 2003

Having two kids, I know all children-family movies by heart. I do like Disney movies. I've seen almost all of them, and had great time.

Chihiro is different. The movie is digestible for the kids (mines are 8), it is funny sometimes, but has much more complex meaning than other ones, born from the Western civilization. It is full of mystery, excitement, color. The characters have real nature, they all have both good and bad characteristics, so you can never predict what happens next. This makes the film even more fascinating, you see the "cruel" witch being an adoring mom, or appreciating great performance. The actions are not overexplained, you have the room to build your own interpretation.

The Eastern philosophy and culture would be enough to attract us, but it has more than that. There is a deep humanism in it, and endless, free fantasy. I felt sorry that it had ended, though it lasts more than 2 hours.

I will surely go to see it again. Top rating.

a masterpeice!

Author: dadaredevil from Anchorage, Alaska
5 March 2003

This movie is probably my most favorite anime movie that I have, or ever will see. The beginning started out a little slow, but once it got a quarter of the way, it totally locked onto my mind. The music alone was breathtaking, not to mention the artwork, story line, and the characters. I'm going to buy it once it comes out, so I can watch this amazing movie over, over, and over again. Rent it, buy it, whatever it is, YOU HAVE GOT TO SEE THIS MOVIE! 10/10

An amazing achievement

Author: flmsfpb
2 March 2003

This is probably the best animated film I have ever seen. Endlessly inventive, beautifully rendered, intelligently written, and lots of fun, it makes me want to see more by this wizard (who is also the director of Princess Mononoke). It's truly a delight to see an animated film that is not just for children, but can enthrall adults as well.

An awesome and imaginative film!

Author: nickrotchadl from Madison, WI
2 March 2003

Finally, the movie that has officially made me accept animated film as genuine as the real thing. Metropolis, Princess Mononoake, Shrek, Monsters Inc, and Toy Story were all wonderful little films, but this is the one that I will tip my hat to the most. It should receive very high consideration for best film of the year on anyone's list.

best animated film i've seen

Author: thearchzealot from Thailand
21 February 2003

This has to be the best animated feature i've seen ever. i just love every aspects of it. The colour is so vibrant and lively and just seems to grab your attention for the whole duration of the movie. The plot is uncomplicated but very involving. you always feel for Chihiro all the time as she wanders along in that wonderful spirit world. i love the music and most of all the characters and their interactions in the film. Chihiro is just soooo cute!!! it probably helps as well that my first experience of this film is from a subtitled DVD. although i haven't heard the dubbed version apart from the trailer i saw on the net, i always feel that the subbed version always convey the story and feelings way better than the dubbed. all in all i sincerely hope that this film goes on to win the oscars. i've only seen Ice Age and Spirit:Stallion of the Cirmarron and i can assure you that Spirited Away is infinitely better than both of the above. Although Lilo and Stitch maybe good, i doubt that it'll be as good as Spirited Away. let's hope those academy people get it right on this one!

I have been spirited away.

Author: Chris Smith (JohnLennon1985@aol.com) from Artesia, California
15 February 2003

This movie reminds me why I love anime so much. Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi (AKA Spirited Away) is everything an Anime should be and more.

The animation was so beautiful (still not comparable to the 99.9% realistic animation in Final Fantasy, but that's an entirely different area). That environment was breathtaking.

That's the beautiful thing about this movie. From now on, when I think about Great Anime, I will look at Spirited Away, and THEN Akira. This movie deserves the Oscar for best animated film. 10/10.

Indisputably brilliant

Author: mppullar from Melbourne, Australia
31 January 2003

A film like "Spirited Away" is an incredibly rare gem. While works of absolute genius do appear most years (and 2001-2002 has certainly seen a lot of these movies reach our screens), they are so often the sort of films that can only be recommended to hard-core film buffs, generally because they would be dismissed as "strange". Films which are easy to watch, entertaining, and yet are absolute and indisputable works of artistic genius are few and far between.

All this said, "Spirited Away" meets all of these requirements. With some of the most beautiful animation you will ever see, clever dialogue, brilliant characters and some fantastic social commentary, it works at so many levels and can, and should, be appreciated by everyone. Unfortunately, the majority of animations which come to western cinemas are only able to be truly enjoyed by school-age children, and a lot of children beyond a certain age are reluctant to either watch or enjoy them at risk of being "childish". As a result, truly original animations which appeal to an older demographic are rare - Richard Linklater did a brilliant job with "Waking Life", but unfortunately that could only really appeal to a small group of adults because of the high-brow intellectualism of the ideas explored in it. Films like "Toy Story" and (breaking the tradition of all sequels being pathetic) "Toy Story 2" are usually the only exceptions, managing to appeal to adults with a more sophisticated style of humour.

BUT "Spirited Away" is, despite being technically a "children's" film, the sort of movie that almost no-one is too old or too young to enjoy. Very few movies like this exist, even though a lot of films are marketed as being "all-ages" films. The sheer imagination that has gone into making this film cannot fail to bewitch anyone who sees it, and it has so much which can appeal to older viewers, particularly the many satirical and poignant comments it makes about contemporary capitalist Japan (such as the faceless people on the train, lifeless, barely there). This film will probably never truly make sense, which is the beauty of it. There are no cop-outs - it truly embraces the surreal and the imaginative, without ever becoming conventional or at all unoriginal.

I saw this film in the original Japanese version, and would suggest that people watch it in this version if they can. But really it should just be seen in whatever version is available, doing whatever it takes to see it. No really - it's worth it.