IMDb > Spirited Away (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi

Spirited Away More at IMDbPro »Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (original title)

Page 5 of 84: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Great Story, Maybe Not the Finest Animation

Author: gavin6942 from United States
10 November 2014

In the middle of her family's move to the suburbs, a sullen 10-year-old girl wanders into a world ruled by gods, witches, and monsters; where humans are changed into animals; and a bathhouse for these creatures.

This film regularly makes Top Ten lists, whether films for children, best animation, or even within IMDb's Top 250. And sure, it is a great story, with far more depth than the average children's cartoon. So if we are judging on writing, this cartoon is tops.

But its overall presentation is somewhat different. This is not the greatest artwork, innovation or style out there. In many ways it is no improvement on many 1980s and 1990s cartoons. Why was this the Oscar-winning cartoon of its year, and why does it continue to be such a huge influence? At least the American version has John Ratzenberger.

Nothing short of breathtaking. One of those films no matter how many times you have watched it, in your childhood or present time, that is always enchanting!

Author: Rosalyn Lim 林惠美 (hayashimegumi) from http://rosalynmuses.blogspot.com
25 August 2014

Spirited Away (2001) is one of those films no matter how many times you have watched it, in your childhood or present time, that is always enchanting as it would never fail to captivate you. A realization of brilliant fantasy and imagination, this animated feature is a realistic depiction of strange tales with plenty remarkable animated scenes that are everlasting.

There is nothing much one can complain about this film because it is just perfect in various aspects; from the character creations, art direction, running time and to the storyline. Besides the magnificent film making and cinematography, this film is everlasting as it is also filled with plenty of expressive themes and elements that everyone could relate to as well as being entertained.

Even more, this film is filled with a lot of strange and adorable magical creatures or spirits such as Susuwatari, Kaonashi, Shikigami, Ootori-sama, Kashira, witches, yuna, giant baby, river spirit, radish spirit and many others which are quite funny to watch. Each of these spirits have their own purpose of existence and you may be able to learn a little about them from this film!

If you are not familiar with strange tales, you may find this film overwhelming but in the end, Spirited Away (2001) is nothing short of breathtaking and you may eventually come to love it.

PS. This is one of my favorite Japanese animated films from childhood. ♥

You don't have to be a child to feel awe over Spirited Away!

Author: Fink Pajamas from United Kingdom
22 August 2014

Beautiful creatures and monsters fill the screen in bright colours, even if the story isn't to your taste the animation is cute and creative. The first Ghibli movie I ever saw was Howl's Moving Castle and I had never seen anything like it, with a childhood mostly made up of Disney animation how could I? I think most people will fall in love with Studio Ghibli at first watch.

I will never know how it will feel to watch Spirited Away as a child, unfortunately, but as an adult it still encapsulates feelings of wonder, adventure, scariness and awe. I must also add that the score by Joe Hisaishi is as equally beautiful as the animation, with track Dragon Boy being the most inspiring artistically.

Brilliant film for all ages

Author: Jane Jones
12 August 2014

Hayao Miyazaki really is one of the greatest animators of all time. This movie along with most of his other work proves it.

Spirited Away is and always will be one of my favorite anime movies. I have watched it in English and Japanese and think both are wonderful. No Face was a bit creepy but interestingly so. Boh was annoying to me at first but I started to like him. Overall the characters, setting, dialogue and story line are great. I could watch it over and over again along with Howl's Moving Castle.

If you have not seen either of these movies I definitely recommend them.

Very interesting way of seeing the world

Author: love_is_beautiful_yuriko from United States
5 August 2014

This movie is one of the most well-known Studio Ghibli movies in the world. A regular girl in Japan slip into this unreal "the other side" of the world where people in Japan always talked about from ancient time. This movie has such unique Japanese elements. The story is well-written, too. The director, Hayao Miyazaki did wonderful expressing/drawing that there are so many gods in Japan and how they might have been treated, if they were existing. Also, it shows how some societies are worked out nowadays whether in Japan or anywhere else. It's kind of ironic. A very interesting way of seeing/understanding the world.

Animation and its power.........beyond ordinary imaginaton

Author: eklavya cwk from India
16 June 2014

Spirited away, what a weird movie, what a boring animation.....this is what dead body will call it because no one in his right mind can leave without appreciating something or the other of this movie. Extraordinary animation, brave and completely unique script, amazing characters and dialogues. Each and everything in this movie was perfect.

I am surprised that such things are so common in the outside world. Spirited Away provides with a brilliant story in a non-physical world which becomes physical, but nothing of that is so good as compared to its killer animation. The transformation of figures, the expressions, ideas like one way train and what not. Its a fantasy world that will not just shiver and thrill your brain but whole back and spine will be quenched in mystery. Its better to watch this movie than to read about it. Very few movies have capacities of entertaining for whole length and this is one of it.

Don't know how many times I've watched this, but it never gets old.

Author: Nicole C
16 June 2014

This film is so cinematic with impressive visuals; as expected of any film from Ghibli studios. And though confirmation of any sequel to Spirited Away has burned to the ground now that Hayao Miyazaki has retired, my hopes will still live on. Together Ghilbli studios and Hayao Miyazaki have dominated the anime world. I don't know how they come up with these stories, and I probably don't understand all of what it represents, but maybe that's why I can watch it repeatedly. I learn something new or notice something different every time I watch it.

Just amazing. It's heartbreaking, adorable, comedic, intriguing and visually aesthetic all in one. I find no fault in this. So if you have any qualms about this film, I don't want to hear them. Peace.

BEST ANIME FILM EVER.

Read more reviews at championangels.wordpress.com

The Great Masterpiece

Author: benthelazar
26 March 2014

If I were to watch one movie as I lay dieing, it would definitely be Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away (2001). I would like to die right at the moment when Chihiro and No Face are the last ones on the train. But in all honesty, any moment in this movie would be a great final sight. It has some of the most impressive animation in the history of the art, but it also tells one of the greatest stories in movie history. It's a basic coming of age story, but with such imagination, emotion and well made characters that it is one that will be watched and enjoyed a hundred years from now, that I have no doubt.

The story follows a ten year old girl named Chihiro and her quest to save her parents from a bathhouse running witch named Yubaba. If that does not hook you, I don't know what will. Add some beautifully drawn river spirits and bizarre creatures that would shock even Lewis Carroll, and you've got the makings of a great movie.

Besides the fantastic story and characters, the thing that makes this a masterpiece is that it's a tremendous labor of love that is. Not that it was difficult to make, considering the fact that Miyazaki is animated gold, but that there are hundreds of unnecessary little details that cement the movies beauty. The way water moves and reflects, for example. It is so realistic that we became totally engrossed in the story. Or look in the windows of the bathhouse. You will find whole stories that have no connection to the central one, but they give such a feeling of busyness and movement that I couldn't imagine the movie without them. Most backgrounds in animated movies are very still, they can't distract from the story. But the ones in Spirited Away demand your attention. It's a good thing that the story is so compelling.

The story is a basic coming of age type deal. But most of us take a long time to make the progress that that Chihiro makes of the course of the movie. Sometimes we wish there was an event like this one that would inspire us to take action. But usually a single event that causes maturity is a tragic or traumatic one, where as Chihiro's is one of spectacular adventure. Scary, yes, but she faces it with great bravery so that the trauma questions that usually pop up in the back of my head in movies like this never come up in Spirited Away.

I mentioned fantastic creatures, and this movie delivers them, I think more than any other movie. They are powerful creatures of few words, who let their very existence be their power. My personal favorite is the Radish Spirit. He looks vaguely like Meat Loaf in Fight Club (1999) and does little except for ride in an elevator with Chihiro and do a happy dance. But the tantalizing possibility of the existence of such an incredible creature has elevated him to one of my favorite movie characters. The most affecting is Stink God. I remember a tremendous feeling of sadness hit me when he slimed in the rain towards the bath house. He was so alone and hated, you can't help but feel sympathy for him (plus, he inspires a great reaction from Chihiro). But the most memorable is No Face. He is one one of the great misunderstood monsters of the screen. When Chihiro shows him a little kindness, he tries to repay her in any way he can, which involves hurting some people on accident. With minimal noise, he inspires great sympathy and awe. He is also a wonder of animation, disappearing from scene to scene, rapidly changing in size and seemingly texture.

As the story draws to it's conclusion, it's an interesting to note that we want Chihiro to return to the human world. This is a snag that many children's movies hit. Why would you want human friends if you have Totoro or why would you go back to Kansas if you have Oz? But there is enough peril in the bathhouse and Chihiro is human enough that she needs to return to the human world; she has no place with the spirits.

Consider the title. Nobody ever says that in the movie, in fact Chihiro takes her entry into this fantastic world very rationally. But the title is directed to us, the audience. We are spirited away to a place beyond the imagining of mere mortals. Miyazaki lets us in on his mad dreams, and we couldn't care less.

There is no other word to describe this movie, but to Experience it.

Author: supratim86 from Kolkata, India
11 February 2014

I have always been a lover of animated films all my life. I got a DVD of this movie from my friend Hillol when I was doing my grad. He said, "Don't ask question, watch it." and the same I did. I was not concentrating too much at the start. I will not lie, I thought how much good can a Japanese movie can be?

By the end, I was sitting still with my eyes open all the time. Phenomenal story, Magical music direction from Mr. Joe Hisaishi and the effort in designing the world, what studio Ghibli have put, can not be overstated. From the starting to the end the story went on like a river leaving me blind to everything else. The attention to detail in every scene is so well managed, in which our little Chihiro runs, cries, laughs.

I became so fond of Japanese animated movies, I bought all the movies made by Mr. Miyazaki. I have seen Spirited Away about 10 times and each time I watch this, I become happy every time forgetting everything else.

The best Anime movie out there, also best Miyazaki film!

Author: Liam Murphy
30 January 2014

I have to say this first, I am a huge Hayao Miyazaki fan, and this film is his best. I also really like Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, but Spirited Away beats them all. I fist watched this film in 2012 and I regret not watching it sooner in life, as I am a movie goer. I am 17 years old now and I still think that this is one of the most sophisticated film ever. Spirited Away does as the title intends to do with yours. I was lifted into the dazzling world full of complex thoughts and characters. The characters in this film are so well formed and developed. My favorites have to be Haku, Chihiro, Yubaba, and Lin. The animation in this film is spectacular, some of the best hand drawn animation ever. I can see myself watching this movie with my kids in the future or just watching it by myself to reflect on life. If I could give this movie a 12 I would, but I can not. Spirited Away is a must watch. IT'S AMAZING. Here are some of my lists: http://www.IMDb.com/list/G7lvVZJ1qJ0/ -best anime http://www.IMDb.com/list/Cy-LrrcUV_Y/ -best animated movies (anime included)