IMDb > Spirited Away (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi

Spirited Away More at IMDbPro »Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi (original title)

Page 16 of 91: [Prev][11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [Next]

i didn't like the comment

Author: ranabotola from italy
1 September 2003

this is a masterpiece. suggest me something (not coming from studio ghibli, obviously) that as a plot and an animation at a such high quality. or just suggest me another animation movie in which you can't imagine what it will be going on except the happy ending (that is a must in 98% of animation movies due they are more directed to children than normal movies). sorry but i can't figure no disney/pixar/don bluth's/dreamworks animation movie that can get just a little close to this movie. i hope that you have seen the others miyazaki's works, but i'm not sure of it.i just wanted to say you that looking for mistakes or lacks in a such movie it means u didn't get a clue. i'm a bit sorry for u. byby

A deep moralistic tale created by an imagination the likes of which I have never seen...

Author: David Beoulve from United States
31 October 2002

Its in English, excellent dubbing, one of the best I've seen. It's a really magical movie, such as Field of Dreams (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0097351). It's about morality, good and evil, greed and love, loyalty and distrust.

I'm not sure that I've seen any movie put so many deep moral issues into a single story so successfully. For the videophiles, the animation is the best I have seen of any Anime. If this is what they are putting out in Japan now, we are so behind the times now in the U.S. It was more fluid than Princess Mononoke (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0119698).

Don't read about the story behind the film, at all. You owe yourself the experience of following the protaganists' exploration, fear, and wonder.

Just go see it, and rest assured, as voted by many IMDB users, this film is worth watching.

Spirited in So Many Ways...

Author: FlickNomad from USA
31 October 2002

Hayao Miyazaki does it again, but much better then his previous Princess Mononoke. Spirited Away is a highly imaginative movie that does things that you can only find in the best children's fantasy books, but don't let that stop you if your an adult. At over 2 hours, it's epic-like, and requires a bit of attention.(And besides, there's a chunk or two of some scary parts that would give a 7 year old nightmares)

It follows the adventures of a young girl, Chihiro, in a spirit world, where she must fight to save her parents. Consequently, she must then look for work, as it is the only way she could survive in this other world. But the type of job that she will handle isn't going to be easy, and she will have to prove herself more then once. The characters she meets are so full of life, so amusing and colorful, it's hard to peel your eyes from the screen because you might miss something pretty amazing. It reminded me of Never Ending Story, Alice in Wonderland, and perhaps Time Bandits, and yet, it's completely original.

It's gorgeous to look at. Just as you think you will see the same thing on the next scene, it gets more dramatic, and the colors are handled beautifully. The dubbing is outstanding. And the movie stayed with me long after I saw it. It's a shame that Disney, who's distributing this in the US over from Japan, doesn't push this movie more. As of this writing, it's open in very few theaters, even though it's made millions outside BEFORE it came to the US. Regardless, this is a movie that you should hunt for and travel to go see. I await the DVD to become part of my library. Yes, it is that good.

Rating: 10 out of 10

We're not in Wonderland anymore...

Author: Shava Nerad from Portland, Oregon, USA
31 October 2002

Spirited Away makes Alice in Wonderland look like an older man's conceit -- Alice pokes fun at the adult world of an Oxford don, but Spirited Away brings us into the first person sensibilities of a ten year old girl. I remember that world.

This is the only movie that has out-grossed Titanic at the box office in Japan, and it deserves more notice from all ages in the US and abroad.

Unlike his previous release, Princess Mononoke, this film avoids exposition, and simply immerses you in the same world of internal logic and magic that the heroine Chihiro must navigate. This is the world of children coming into their own in the world -- the real world is equally an environment where they must discover rules, discover who holds power, discover their own virtue and honor.

Spirited Away simply gives us a fantasy setting for the reality of a child.

This is a visually lovely, imaginative, intelligent film that will please people of all ages (perhaps above six or so -- some of the kami may be too odd and scary for small children).

It is a favorite for me, and for my 9 year old son Joseph.

Hollywood Conspiracy to smother Asian films

Author: Sinnerman from Singapore
28 October 2002

I don't get it.

Someone should forward the many positive IMDB user comments here to Disney. I can't help but feel there has been a blatantly mishandled distribution strategy for this film in the US of A.

Despite its near 100% critical praises and its massive US$200 million box office take even before its American release, Spirited Away is still playing in less than 100 theatres nation wide, which caused it to undeservedly languish in the lower reaches of the American movie charts even as we speak.

There has been much speculative criticism over Disney conspiratorial mishandling of Mayazaki's last film, the classic Princess Mononoke. It has since been disproved as an urban legend and the benefit of the doubt was given to Disney. How could it be possible that a company like Disney would willingly sacrifice profits for a greater aim of secretly smothering Mayazaki films for fear of adversely affecting its own vault of animated films?

Sadly, the present state for "Spirited Away" will definitely be re-surrecting this previously dispelled conspiracy theory. Unless the marketing/ distribution strategy for Spirited Away is revamped completely (i.e. a massive `Toy Story like' promotional campaign followed by a well deserved wide release relaunch), this lingering tainted image for the mouse company and Hollywood at large will likely remain.

You heard it here first. Expose Hollywood for what it is, a sinister oligopolistic business enterprise with hidden agendas of buying up distribution and remake rights of worthy Asian films, so as to smother them and minimise their chances of American success, thereby safeguarding their own selfish financial and market interest.

Its so disgustingly evil it makes me sick.

Artistry with a capital "A"

Author: GRMacE from Los Angeles
27 October 2002

This is a not to be missed film if you value imagery.

Though the plot is not as engaging and the action a bit slower than "Princess Monoke", it makes up for it in its sheer beauty. It is not a child's movie, but I am certain a 10 to 14 year old will love it. Think of it as an anime version of "A Secret Garden" and you will get my point.

Beautiful.

Smiles of all kinds

Author: laxcat
26 October 2002

I smiled the whole movie through. Some smiles were from laughter, some were from enchantment. Many were accompanied with a cocked eyebrow marveling at the bizarreness of it all, but most of my smiles were those of the child inside, for I can't remember the last movie that has been so simply wonderful.

This movie's shining praise lies in its ability to stir up enchantment inside even the crankiest cynic. You'll leave the theater feeling eight years old.

Yet giggling at mystical creatures' cuteness doesn't begin to fully define this movie's depth. Those who prefer to keep their inner child under lock and key will still appreciate this movie's gorgeous animation, and simply unbelievable strangeness.

Like all timeless fairy tales, Spirited Away casts a spell on eyes and ears of all ages.

Marvelous,Magical,Miyazaki!!

Author: gokuminkey from Portsmouth Hampshire
22 October 2002

Bit of a spoiler

Miyazaki at his best again. A wonderful tail of supernatural bath time and a ten-year old girl (Chihiro). Chihiro's parents after stuffing them self 's silly in a mysterious dilapidated theme park food bar get turned into pigs. But by night The Park is transformed into your typical Japanese Supernatural bathhouse. Run by A big headed witch (literally) . As luck would have it Chihiro finds a prince charming with a prince Valiant hair cut, Haku. Chihiro must get work in the bath house (what no social workers in the Spirit world), to save her parents and find out the connection between herself and the mysterious Haku.

Technically Superb and visually stunning but best of all it has a wonderful story line full of Japanese myths and sentiment, with a this a jigger of Fairy tale and a pinch of Lewis Carol. Seasoned with Anime references and characters from other Miyazaki films. Like the Mak-Kuro KuroSuke Soot spiders(from Totoro). A rich but light a recipe to delight your cinematic taste buds confirming Miyazaki as the Delia Smith of the film World. This film can be enjoyed by all but the youngest children. It's a Pity Disney still hasn't learned the Miyazaki lesson yet, namely you can make a family Animation that's doesn't have a simple over sentimental formulaic story line that will bore most adults stupid.

In Summary I Love Miyazaki I have his Children but I'm a bloke this is one of his best 10/10 see this film and don't eat in a theme Park.

Miyazaki's wonderful, euphoric tale is a beautiful and mesmerizing adventure that is near perfect in every way

Author: Dragoneyed363 from United States
17 April 2010

I have built so much love up for Spirited Away over time that I can't even begin to explain it. Miyazaki has made this film with such integrity and grace that you can't look away from it's unbelievable charm and amusement. This was the first Miyazaki I had seen, and by far it is equally as great as the others and is also, like the rest are, one of the most admirable and lovable animations I have ever seen.

To start off, the movie itself from start to finish is entertaining, clever and fun in every way. I really grew to love and care for almost every character because even though he doesn't take that much time to describe some of them in every little detail, the way he uses his time to show their personalities is excellent and you almost practically know them from the first time they're shown. He also gives his characters great depth as the movie goes on, and even though Chihiro was a bit annoying at the get go, you actually start to feel sorry for her and love her as you do most everyone because their traits and characteristics are so splendidly displayed.

Also, the humor and plot he manages to work with are brilliant and fascinating, even if it's meant to be a little childish and inane every now and then, it totally works! He throws weird and eccentric surprises one after another that always keep you on your feet and guessing what's going to happen next, and he manages to get giggles and smiles from the kid-quality jokes and antics because they're so well done and delivered at the right times!

I truly have to praise Miyazaki for the artforms that are his sensational, remarkable, undeniably acclaimed animations and I have to say that as a director, he's growing to become one of my favorites for perfect examples such as Spirited Away. I could go on, but I really don't know how else to explain how phenomenal this masterpiece really is, so I suggest you see it if you haven't, and watch it again if you didn't like it, because I'm hopefully positive it will manage to titillate your senses in some way, or form, as it certainly did me. This comment hardly even begins to do it justice that it's that spectacular. Trust me.

Best animated film-ever.

Author: evergreengrad from United States
11 December 2006

Up until the time I viewed this film, I equated the phrase "Japanese animation" with phrases like "Pokemon," "Digimon," and other "mon's," that made me want to vomit. Hayao Miyazaki has really opened my eyes and made me realize just how wrong I really was.

The story opens with our hero, Chihiro, an apathetic, whiny little brat voiced brilliantly by Daveigh Chase, as she's moving to a new house. Her parents (Lauren Holly, Michael Chiklis) make a classic, horror-movie boo-boo by taking an alternate path. This lands them an abandoned amusement park. Chihiro wanders off. She then finds that what seems to be an amusement park is, in actuality, a bathhouse for the gods, and her parents, having helped themselves to the local buffet, have been turned into pigs. Left to her own devices, she has to give herself a personality overhaul in order to survive. Along the way, she meets colorful characters, such as Yubaba (voiced by Suzanne Pleschette,) her good-natured lackey Haku (James Marsden)and one of the cleaning girls (Susan Egan.) Miyazaki, who gave us films like Princess Mononoke and Porco Rosso, has given us what could very possibly be the greatest animated film, ever. Complete with rich, well-rounded characters and breath-taking animation, this could aptly be described as a modern day Alice in Wonderland.