IMDb > Spirited Away (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi

Spirited Away More at IMDbPro »Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi (original title)

Page 11 of 93: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

one of my favorite films of all time

Author: M. Holmes from California
20 October 2002

i just saw this film tonight, and i am totally blown away. i was expecting to love this film, because i love all of the hayao miyazaki work that i've seen. there was so much imagination and creativity and life in this film. i could watch it many, many times. the breathtaking backgrounds, the intricate animation, the complex and original story, the intriguing characters: they were all amazing to me. one thing that i love so much about miyazaki's work are the little details, the moments when things pause, and something small but so beautiful happens. or the little details, of how a child moves through a big, grown-up world, that so many other animators don't think about. miyazaki pays attention to and honors so many incredible things, big and small, and weaves them into his very imaginative stories. he has a very talented team of artists and animators working with him. i highly recommend the film. i feel very lucky to be able to see this wonderful japanese film on the big screen in the united states, and to live in the same age as this great animator, hayao miyazaki.

Miyazaki's best to date

Author: Tara Covelens from Lancaster, PA
19 October 2002

Wonderful piece of cinematic adventure! Sorry to sound corny, but it's true...it was the magic of Alice in Wonderland, except all new, completely original! Miyazaki's interest in creating new mythology's is again demonstrated in this film, and it's his most powerful and provocative. Don't be fooled into thinking this is just a kid's movie. I'd highly recommend it.

Excellent! Nightmarishly surreal yet charming at the same time.

Author: Puke Bag from Vancouver, BC
16 October 2002

This is a film that deserves a much wider release than it is currently getting. Taking a cue from Alice in Wonderland and Wizard of Oz, Hayao Miyazaki takes the fairy tale conventions and gives us one of his finest works yet, beating the pants off everything he has done before.

In a world where Japanese animation gets a bit of a bad rap for its adult-content (despite the fact that it's no worse than North American mainstream cinema), comes a film that both adults and children can enjoy. It's best that you walk in with no expectations as I did.

One of the best films ever made!!

Author: brandonrerickson from Portland, Oregon
16 October 2002

A movie as utterly breathtaking as "Spirited Away" only comes along once in a great while, and when it does it is immediately recognized as something amazing and special. Words such as "masterpiece" or "classic" somehow just don't seem adequate to describe this film. There has perhaps not been such an important event in the history of film since the invention of the medium itself. There are really only two groups of people that I would recommend this movie to: ANYONE and EVERYONE. If you are in possession of both an auditory and a visual system, then SEE THIS MOVIE! And even if you aren't, GO ANYWAY! My only advice to those who have not seen this movie is: SEE THIS MOVIE! And my only advice to those who have seen this movie is: SEE IT AGAIN! And my advice to those who are wondering if the stock market is going to turn around is: WHO CARES! SEE THIS MOVIE!

Another excellent movie from Miyazaki.

Author: m-mechem from Ft. Collins, Colorado
15 October 2002

This film is not as overtly violent as was Princess Mononoke (Mononoke Hime) but violence does not make a movie worthwhile usually. Instead the story and animation are both superb. This is very reminiscent of the early 90's Disney works (Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Aladdin). But unlike Disney the characters don't break into song every other minute! The most impressive aspect of this movie was that even though the movie may be freightening to young children it also conveys a message (yes a moral) to the audience on two different levels...for children it tells them to be brave in the face of adversity and for adults it tells them to be aware of your child's feelings about any changes that they or the family might be going through. Miyazaki yet again has produced another masterpiece that the American public will not be aware of and those who might be aware of it will generally be biased because it is an animated film.

The Iron Chef of Animation

Author: illumeentertainment
14 October 2002

Aren't we all tired of cuddly singing animals and happily-ever-after plots? Well, according to box office numbers, the American movie audience is not. But man, I am. It is so refreshing to be amused and surprised while watching a movie. Although this movie is marketed as a children's fantasy fairy tale. often compared to Alice In Wonderland, I think this movie is much more than that.

I can compare a standard Disney animated movie to a Happy Meal. Hey, I have nothing against Happy Meals. They're cute, they're tasty, you know what to expect, and there's always a neat toy inside. It's a proven success.

Miyazaki is the `Iron Chef' of animated movies. You might not know what the heck you are about to eat, and some of the dishes might violently disagree with you. but you may come across something that will blow your socks off.

Expand your palette. Watch Spirited Away.

A look at the best film of 2001 (and 2002!)

Author: jpeck83 from Orlando, FL
14 October 2002

I originally saw this film back in March 2002 and had planned on leaving comments on it but for some reason I passed. It's been many months since then and I've seen it 7 times total now and it's simply amazing every time. It truly is one of the finest coming of age stories of all-time and is a visual masterpiece. Although not my favorite Miyazaki film (this ranks slightly behind Tonari no Totoro), it's certainly leagues beyond any other animated film in recent years.

I decided to wait until I had seen the English language version (I've gone to it twice already since it opened on the 11th, 3 days ago) to comment on it here on the IMDb so I could take a look at the version most people would likely see. I am a big fan of anime but I am not one of those obsessive sub-only purists, if it's dubbed well then I can enjoy it just as much as the original. Surprisingly, I enjoyed the English language version even more than the Japanese and Cantonese versions I saw by a good bit. The voices all seemed very appropriate and I enjoyed the few added lines that were included. I was a little bummed about how when Haku says his full name they did not leave it in Japanese, I think it would have been better with saying how it sounded so royal, etc. but that was my only nitpick. Disney did a wonderful job in the English language production, now only if they would market it some (I've not even seen a tv spot here and the ad in the newspaper was very small) and put it in more theatres they may find they have a fairly successful film on their hands to go along with its status of critical darling.

oh Yeah!!!!!!!

Author: Stephen Palke (scpgoku@aol.com) from U.S.A
13 October 2002

Spirited Away 2001/2002 (Review) By Stephen Palke

Director: Hayo Miazaki

Plot:

A little girl named Chiriro, who has recently moved. She is being driven to her new school by her two parents. Her Dad can't find her new school and takes a short cut through the woods. They run into this tunnel. Chiriro's parents stop and decide to take a look what is on the other end of that tunnel. They make it to the other end and Dad thinks it's a shut down amusement park. Chiriro is scared and wants to go. The parents want to continue to look around. Dad smells good food and tries to find where this food is. They find it at a store. The parents gulf down the food. Chiriro looks around and sees this small bridge which leads to a huge Japanese style castle. A boy named Master Haku tells her to get out before it hits dark. Chiriro runs and looks for her parents. Her parents are still eating the food, but Chiriro has found that they turned into pigs. Now Chiriro must get a job at a bathhouse for gods and spirits get her parents turned back into humans. However she gets into many other adventures along the way.

Review:

10/10 The Japanese always make excellent films like Seven Samurai, Hidden Fortress, Akira, and The Samurai trilogy. This is another excellent film. Japan is known for it's animated films. Now when Spirited Away hits wide release in the U.S, Japan will be known for this animated film, Spirited Away. This film is much better than any Disney film, which is saying a lot when you look at Disney's history. Ironically Disney has bought the U.S/European/Australian rights to this film, go figure.

I must say how very imaginative this film is and how colorful it is. The animation is brilliant as is the story and characters. You care you the lead character: Chiriro, which is hard to do in most other films. This will be a big film in the over the world

Fabulous!

Author: bloodnok from east finchley
13 October 2002

This is beautiful, entertaining film, even at two hours! The animation is brilliant, the backdrops beautiful, the plot perfectly weird. I saw it in Japanese with English subtitles, which is really the way it should be seen. It would have been better if the print had been in better shape. Now to obtain the DVD!

Beautiful and lyrical

Author: John H. Jenkins from Salt Lake City, Utah
9 October 2002

This is a truly beautiful movie, both in terms of the story it tells and in terms of the visual feast that awaits. Like all of Hayao Miyazaki's work, the images on the screen in and of themselves are worth the price of admission; and like all of Miyazaki's work, the characters who inhabit his world and the lives they lead are fascinating.

There are some disturbing moments which might make the film inappropriate for small children, and some older kids may find the film too "weird" (meaning too unlike mainstream fare) to enjoy; but this tale of how a sullen girl finds power within herself to face the world is worth seeking out and watching.