IMDb > "Rocket Power" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Rocket Power"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Rocket Power" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Won't change your life, but fun to watch

Author: Rob Grenier from Boston
25 July 2000

Not that I'm a huge fan of this show, but I hate to see the only other comment about it be a negative one. It's a decent show about 4 kids who do some extreme sports, deal with problems (usually on their own and in creative ways), and learn deep meaningful lessons about life. I suppose it helps if you grew up a skater to appreciate some of the plots though. Regardless, more interesting than most of the schlock that passes as kids entertainment these days.

I used to love this show and still do

Author: lrobinson7 from United States
5 January 2008

Whenever I look up old 90's shows on youtube, I always seem to find each one mention Rocket Power and it brings back some great memories. I used to adore this show. Every day I would flip through channels and if I saw this show was on, nothing else mattered. I would pick watching an episode of this for the fifth time than a Hey Arnold for the first time (although I did enjoy that show too).

I think what I liked this one the most out of the 90's shows was because it was somewhat on its own. Other shows always showed the kids at school with two parents and good grades. This one was slightly more realistic in that sense. Sure, they played the sports ridiculously well so i'm not saying that was realistic, but Twister had a mean brother, Reggie and Otto didn't have a mother, and Sam was made fun of for his intelligence. I felt it was almost more gritty (or as much as it could be) for a kid's show.

Even the main characters weren't likable a lot of the time. Mainly Otto with his cocky personality but all of them had something disagreeable. Sam's wimpyness, Reggie's smart Aleck attitude, and Twister's inability to say anything remotely smart were all factors in showing how no one is perfect.

Then of course, as a child, you find the sports they do to be amazing. I was always jealous of their talent and wished I could be as good as they were on skateboards or surfboards. In a way, they were kid's idols. And I still love them to this day.

Rocket Power

Author: dogluver120 from United States
8 November 2005

I really enjoyed this show when it was aired. They should have kept it, but made better episodes with more of a plot. It was very interesting and I actually learned a lot from it. I miss that show a lot. That was the last good show Nick had before it went downhill. They should bring all the old shows back, they were sooo much better than this "Catscratch" Dump. I really miss rocket power, it was a very popular show where i am, so many kids liked it. And all of us were into extreme sports and we would make up our own episodes and stuff. We had a lot of fun with it. I miss it so much. Nick should have kept it is all i have to say!!

Author: ryanshepard92 from United States
25 January 2011

I must take issue with some of the reviews here. I'm not saying the show was a masterpiece, but it was a lot better than they're making it out to be.

The characters: Otto: The jock. Big ego, with supreme confidence in all his abilities. Most of the time, he is the cause of the problems the kids have to face.

Reggie: The "voice of reason". Most of the time, she's the one who organizes a strategy to deal with Otto's screw-ups. Otto's sister.

Twister: The idiot. Not much of a help in a crisis, but he delivers most of the shows one-liners. Best friend of Otto.

Sam: The nerd. Low self-confidence, always trying to be as good as his friends. Basically, the polar opposite of Otto.

Raymundo: The dad we all wish we could be. Loving, but with a firm hand.

Tito: Sort of the "mother" figure of the show. He's always giving the kids advice with his (in)famous "Ancient Hawaiian Sayings".

The plot: Yeah, so some of the episodes were corny. Big deal, it's a kids show. It reminds me of the times I used to spend with my friends. (Except we sucked at sports and didn't have a dad who ran a fast-food joint.) Yeah, most of the episodes revolved around sports, but they were good plots. About bettering yourself and making friends and "practice makes perfect" and the good old morals a kid's show should have. One of the episodes I will always remember is the hurricane one. Pretty intense for a kids show.

In short, it was probably one of the last decent shows Nick made before becoming a Disney clone. They had a couple good ones like Avatar, but it was all downhill from there in my opinion.

I like it !

Author: Raphaël Iberg from Lutry, Switzerland
26 July 2006

All my good childhood memories of summer time are in this show ! Otto, Reggie, Twister, Sam, Raymundo, Tito and the others are like my friends ! The stories are well made and intelligent, there is always a kind of "morality" in the end. The four pals do extreme sports, like skateboard, snowboard, surfing in the sea and have always a problem that they have to solve, and, doing that, they learn how life is. This TV show is a real lesson of life for the children and is also very funny ! In one word like in one hundred, I like it ! So if you want to laugh watching an intelligent show, watch "Rocket Power" ! I'm looking forward to seeing that anime again on TV !

Author: Jet_shinzo from United States
2 January 2009

For a kids show (me being one who watched it when it was on), I think this show was pretty decent for a Nick show. Sure, its like the loser who commented before me said, it usually was the same formula, but the kids who watched this show don't CARE. That's the point! You make a show that has moral values and entertains kids. If you wanted to make a show geared towards teens or adults, this is the worst idea for a show you could have. But, this show serves its purpose, entertaining kids.

And honestly, if you're into some of their sports, you'll notice some of the humor in this show.

The show does make an attempt to give moral lessons through every episode, and does present very different situations. There is some really good voice acting, and although the script has fairly stereotypical lines (I've yet to meet anyone who says "Dude" and "Bro" as much as the characters in this show), its really decent writing.

The California Life

Author: USC_Trojan from United States
1 December 2011

It helps to have grown up in Southern California. A lot of the reviews are right in saying that this is not an overly powerful show but being a kid in this region is different than anywhere else in the country, especially along the coast, and Rocket Power comes close to capturing it. Rocket Power is very nostalgic for those of us who miss surfing the summer days away and grabbing a fish taco or two. My favorite character by far was Tito Makani in all his Hawaiian wisdom. Every group of kids needs someone to bestow knowledge of life on them and Tito was that guy and he was directly involved in the best moment of the show. I remember how hard it was learning to surf and Sam just couldn't get it. Tito comes along a gives him a gigantic board that was best suited for Sam's frame. He wouldn't have gotten a grasp of surfing that quickly after but nonetheless, Tito came through again.

Come on people, give a review of the show not a comparison

Author: JBrd2113 from United States
18 July 2009

Okay, for starters I'd like to say I was also a kid when Rugrats and all those other great shows were on TV but can you seriously knock Rocket Power because it was all about extreme sports? I thought the plots were good enough to entertain me even as a young teen, my younger cousins loved the show and I've shared a few discussions with friends about the show who also remember it as being entertaining. Rocket Power had characters that every kid could relate to, who doesn't love that when you're young and don't care about how much of a plot there is? It's not a movie for adults people. As you can see I gave it a 6/10 because I agree it wasn't the best cartoon in the world but it wasn't meant to be the next Rocco's Modern Life. Get over Really fun show and well worth the $4 you'll pay to get it on Amazon.

basically, my youth in a TV show

Author: shana from United States
21 September 2008

My first memory of this show--I caught a glimpse of Lars and thought he only had one eye, so I got scared and changed the channel. (Hey, I was 9!) Luckily I gave the show another chance. It ended up being my obsession for...God, how many years did it run? It wasn't particularly clever, not at all, really. Basically every episode consisted of the word "dude", sports, and some sort of small drama that only lasted 15 minutes. But I was hopelessly addicted to it, and to this day I still can't pinpoint why. The cliché "every new person that comes here rocks at sports", the dumb explosion of "SUPER BEEF" or something across the screen...but it was such a great show. Especially if you watched the background--the surfer turning into a dolphin, the UFO beaming up a whale, the fisherman falling into the ocean, the giant fish skull talking...they don't make cartoons like they used to! To this day, Twister is still my favorite cartoon character of all time. He was just so stupid, it was great. Even now, almost 10 years later, I still use the word "dude" in almost every sentence.

This show really encompasses everything of my youth. I remember going on about it all the time, and making my friends watch it. I used to know every single word to "Race Across New Zealand", and could repeat the whole movie at any given point.

To sum this all up, I have no idea why I loved Rocket Power so much. But I did, and I still do. The other month I found a Rocket Power videotape at a yard sale and almost cried. Good 'ol memories...

I loved this show.

Author: Juaqino from United States
2 September 2012

Rocket Power gets a bad rap. Not that peoples' opinions don't count, but there's a place for this kind of show. It's not terribly deep or anything like that; just a bunch of kids and their adventures.

I think to like this show, you might have needed to be the kind of kid who's in the show. This is one of the shows that I grew up with, and even before it came on, my friends and I did all the same things that the kids did in Rocket Power. If we weren't playing street hockey, we'd be riding our skateboards, surfing, etc. This show was easy for kids like us to relate to. I think if you didn't grow up in that kind of environment, the show may just end up being annoying and uninteresting.

What I liked best about Rocket Power(and other Klasky-Csupo cartoons like The Wild Thornberrys) is the subtle amount of character development. Now surely it doesn't stand up to the kind of development in adult shows, but even at that age I was impressed considering the number of kids shows where everything resets the following episode. As an example, Sam(The "Squid") started out being the new kid/geek/loser who was pretty terrible at any of the sports that Otto, Reggie, and Twister would partake in. Sam does retain his identity for the rest of the show, but I recall that by the end of the show, he managed to fit in better with his friends and even became better than Otto at some things.

Sadly, I can't really say the same about Otto, who needed the development almost as much as Sam did. This was attempted in a few episodes after we learn the moral of the story, but things usually reset for Otto in the next episode. Taking that into consideration, I kinda wish Otto was left out of the series entirely. That would have removed 90% of the annoyances most people cite.

I don't get why people say Rocket Power is a "stereotype". If you want a stereotypical kids show, look towards shows like Recess where they took the most typical group of kids with the most typical archetypes and put them into the most generic setting for kids to be in(a school yard). Rocket Power, on the other hand, takes a specific group of kids who have their own individuality as well as a female character who exhibits very few "feminine" character stereotypes, and bases stories around that. Much more interesting to me, personally.

Now since I'm an adult, I doubt I would sit through Rocket Power or other Nicktoons again, but if I have kids someday and RP came on TV, I'd let them watch it.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]