IMDb > "Rocket Power" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Rocket Power"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Rocket Power" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Won't change your life, but fun to watch

Author: Rob Grenier from Boston
25 July 2000

Not that I'm a huge fan of this show, but I hate to see the only other comment about it be a negative one. It's a decent show about 4 kids who do some extreme sports, deal with problems (usually on their own and in creative ways), and learn deep meaningful lessons about life. I suppose it helps if you grew up a skater to appreciate some of the plots though. Regardless, more interesting than most of the schlock that passes as kids entertainment these days.

I used to love this show and still do

Author: lrobinson7 from United States
5 January 2008

Whenever I look up old 90's shows on youtube, I always seem to find each one mention Rocket Power and it brings back some great memories. I used to adore this show. Every day I would flip through channels and if I saw this show was on, nothing else mattered. I would pick watching an episode of this for the fifth time than a Hey Arnold for the first time (although I did enjoy that show too).

I think what I liked this one the most out of the 90's shows was because it was somewhat on its own. Other shows always showed the kids at school with two parents and good grades. This one was slightly more realistic in that sense. Sure, they played the sports ridiculously well so i'm not saying that was realistic, but Twister had a mean brother, Reggie and Otto didn't have a mother, and Sam was made fun of for his intelligence. I felt it was almost more gritty (or as much as it could be) for a kid's show.

Even the main characters weren't likable a lot of the time. Mainly Otto with his cocky personality but all of them had something disagreeable. Sam's wimpyness, Reggie's smart Aleck attitude, and Twister's inability to say anything remotely smart were all factors in showing how no one is perfect.

Then of course, as a child, you find the sports they do to be amazing. I was always jealous of their talent and wished I could be as good as they were on skateboards or surfboards. In a way, they were kid's idols. And I still love them to this day.

Rocket Power

Author: dogluver120 from United States
8 November 2005

I really enjoyed this show when it was aired. They should have kept it, but made better episodes with more of a plot. It was very interesting and I actually learned a lot from it. I miss that show a lot. That was the last good show Nick had before it went downhill. They should bring all the old shows back, they were sooo much better than this "Catscratch" Dump. I really miss rocket power, it was a very popular show where i am, so many kids liked it. And all of us were into extreme sports and we would make up our own episodes and stuff. We had a lot of fun with it. I miss it so much. Nick should have kept it is all i have to say!!

I like it !

Author: Raphaël Iberg from Lutry, Switzerland
26 July 2006

All my good childhood memories of summer time are in this show ! Otto, Reggie, Twister, Sam, Raymundo, Tito and the others are like my friends ! The stories are well made and intelligent, there is always a kind of "morality" in the end. The four pals do extreme sports, like skateboard, snowboard, surfing in the sea and have always a problem that they have to solve, and, doing that, they learn how life is. This TV show is a real lesson of life for the children and is also very funny ! In one word like in one hundred, I like it ! So if you want to laugh watching an intelligent show, watch "Rocket Power" ! I'm looking forward to seeing that anime again on TV !

Good

Author: ryanshepard92 from United States
25 January 2011

I must take issue with some of the reviews here. I'm not saying the show was a masterpiece, but it was a lot better than they're making it out to be.

The characters: Otto: The jock. Big ego, with supreme confidence in all his abilities. Most of the time, he is the cause of the problems the kids have to face.

Reggie: The "voice of reason". Most of the time, she's the one who organizes a strategy to deal with Otto's screw-ups. Otto's sister.

Twister: The idiot. Not much of a help in a crisis, but he delivers most of the shows one-liners. Best friend of Otto.

Sam: The nerd. Low self-confidence, always trying to be as good as his friends. Basically, the polar opposite of Otto.

Raymundo: The dad we all wish we could be. Loving, but with a firm hand.

Tito: Sort of the "mother" figure of the show. He's always giving the kids advice with his (in)famous "Ancient Hawaiian Sayings".

The plot: Yeah, so some of the episodes were corny. Big deal, it's a kids show. It reminds me of the times I used to spend with my friends. (Except we sucked at sports and didn't have a dad who ran a fast-food joint.) Yeah, most of the episodes revolved around sports, but they were good plots. About bettering yourself and making friends and "practice makes perfect" and the good old morals a kid's show should have. One of the episodes I will always remember is the hurricane one. Pretty intense for a kids show.

In short, it was probably one of the last decent shows Nick made before becoming a Disney clone. They had a couple good ones like Avatar, but it was all downhill from there in my opinion.

Come on people, give a review of the show not a comparison

Author: JBrd2113 from United States
18 July 2009

Okay, for starters I'd like to say I was also a kid when Rugrats and all those other great shows were on TV but can you seriously knock Rocket Power because it was all about extreme sports? I thought the plots were good enough to entertain me even as a young teen, my younger cousins loved the show and I've shared a few discussions with friends about the show who also remember it as being entertaining. Rocket Power had characters that every kid could relate to, who doesn't love that when you're young and don't care about how much of a plot there is? It's not a movie for adults people. As you can see I gave it a 6/10 because I agree it wasn't the best cartoon in the world but it wasn't meant to be the next Rocco's Modern Life. Get over it...fast. Really fun show and well worth the $4 you'll pay to get it on Amazon.

I find it annoying and repetitive to be honest

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
8 August 2010

I will give credit where it's due, it's better than ChalkZone, which is by far and away Nickelodean's worst, but Rocket Power I just find really annoying and repetitive. The concept intrigued me, and I liked some of the colourful backgrounds, but in terms of praise that's all I can give.

The animation is variable, liked the colours and backgrounds, hated the character designs which were weird. The music is okay at best, but some of it is annoying. The writing is pretty much wretched, it is unfunny and the "cool" catchphrases really grate after a couple of episodes. And the story lines are so repetitive, it feels like they do the same thing over and over, where's the variety? And I disliked the characters in general, they at worst annoyed me and felt like stereotypes, particularly Otto and Regina. The voice acting has its moments, but the actors don't have much to work with both in writing and character.

All in all, annoying and repetitive. Not Nick's worst, but it is one of them, for me anyway. 2/10 Bethany Cox

This cartoon is boring

Author: xcorp
24 June 2004

Rocket Power has to be the second worst show I have ever seen on Nick.

Spoiler Warning!

The plot is just as one dimensional as the characters are. Here's the plot four friends named Otto, his sister Reggie, Sam, and Twister all do extreme sports while solving a big problem along the way. That's about it.

End Spoiler Warning!

And (With the exception of Tito and Twister.) I can't stand any of the characters. Otto is a selfish moron who just wants to win all the time.

And those dumb words they use like Beef are annoying.

Tito is the only cool character on the show and Twister can be funny sometimes.

I would give Rocket Power a 0/10 but I do find it to be just a little bit better then the horrible Wild Thornberries and their was a few good episodes. And the fact that they do extreme sports just bores me. Now I don't mind if they do extreme sports once in a while in Rocket Power. But why must they do extreme sports in practically every single episode?!

This show sucks.

My all time favorite until Disney's Peter Pan entered my life

Author: lz_merrifield from United States
12 April 2014

Rocket Power has been a favorite of my since I was 10 years old and in the fourth grade. I was obsessed with the show and collected a lot of stuff from bedding to dolls. When the show ended in 2004, at the end of my eighth grade year, my tastes have changed. I still liked the show, but didn't have the obsessed feeling about it anymore.

Perfect example arrived in March of 2007 when I purchased the Peter Pan Platinum Edition DVD, and all of a sudden, I liked that a whole lot better. I developed the same obsession with Peter Pan and still do seven years later.

I can tell you that this show is still a childhood favorite and still my favorite as an adult. Twister and Reggie are still my favorite characters and always will be for years to come, but once Peter Pan came into my life, I just liked that better. And still do.

Rocket Power- still 10/10 for being my favorite TV Show!

The California Life

Author: USC_Trojan from United States
1 December 2011

It helps to have grown up in Southern California. A lot of the reviews are right in saying that this is not an overly powerful show but being a kid in this region is different than anywhere else in the country, especially along the coast, and Rocket Power comes close to capturing it. Rocket Power is very nostalgic for those of us who miss surfing the summer days away and grabbing a fish taco or two. My favorite character by far was Tito Makani in all his Hawaiian wisdom. Every group of kids needs someone to bestow knowledge of life on them and Tito was that guy and he was directly involved in the best moment of the show. I remember how hard it was learning to surf and Sam just couldn't get it. Tito comes along a gives him a gigantic board that was best suited for Sam's frame. He wouldn't have gotten a grasp of surfing that quickly after but nonetheless, Tito came through again.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]