IMDb > "Malgudi Days" (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Malgudi Days" More at IMDbPro »

Memories of Malgudi

Author: Shashi Krishna from Denmark
7 May 2006

If I regard all the timeless classics I have been fortunate enough to be a part of, the one series that sticks out like a gentle reminder of life itself is the late Sh.R K Narayan's 'Malgudi Days' which was brought to life by the late Kannada actor/director/genius Shankar Nag. The two names that have become synonymous to me with being simple yet powerful. The two souls that have given me so many memorable moments on print and celluloid. I am still fascinated at the ease with which these men managed to craft the rhythm of the life in the stories of Malgudi.

Narayan's creation – the town called Malgudi. Just the mention of that name spells magic as far as viewers of Nag's 'Malgudi Days' are concerned. As I sat watching some episodes from the DVD pack of this gem a couple of days back it was as if I was watching myself in them. Each scene brought back an essence that I have almost forgotten in the high-tech world we live in. Values that have shaped us as Indians. Ideals that we seem to have put somewhere at the back of a dusty old room. My mind kept dusting off those old piles of memories as the characters spoke to me in a profound yet simple way. A whole new perspective arose. A new dimension. A new light. Draped in the practicality we are so used to, it hid within the simple nothings of life that are everything. The words that stay behind after an enriching conversation. A song. A poem.

The message that 'Malgudi Days' conveys represents every human emotion there ever was and every personality there ever will be. We truly miss Shankar Nag's genius and Sh RK Narayan's wisdom. Please come back to us.

Absolute MAGIC!!!!!!

Author: folkpoet80 from USA
30 December 2005

I'm sure a lot of Indians who grew up in the 80s treasure this show as one of the best ever aired in the history of Television. Others in the same league were Katha Sagar, Flop Show, and Mirza Ghalib with a few others. RK Narayan's epic lit the screen like anything. I'm not going to waste time in singing praises of this awesome show, which needs no introduction. The good news is that after almost 20 years when it was aired on Doordarshan in India, it is finally out onDVD!!!!! Remastered using the latest technology, this 2 disc DVD brings this masterpiece of cinema to millions of R.K.Narayan fans and others thirsting for a good story the whole family can watch. Please go to http://66.223.111.68/datacart/products/template_dvd.asp? and search for Malgudi Days!

UPDATE: I have seen the whole 2 DVD set. There is only one episode that is in Hindi (2 Goats). Rest all is in English. I think when Doordarshan showed this back in 1986, they showed the dubbed version. The show seems to have been made in English Originally. It was great to see Anant Nag and Swami again!!

One of the best TV series ever

Author: bharat from USA
26 December 2003

This has been probably the best TV series that ever hit the indian television scene.Awesome direction , impeccable performances, excellent production, great music ....its got everything.If u havent seen it before..u must!Its got a great touch of nostalgia to it.

Best Series Ever On Indian Television

Author: parry656 from India
2 May 2007

This is not one of the best but the very best that Indian television has to offer.Whatever the crap that they show on TV these days should be thrown in the dumps when we compare it to Malgudi Days. I have seen this so many times that I have lost the count of it. I will make sure everybody in my future generation too watches it.

It is one of those great classics which I can never forget till I m in this world.Great work and great stories with great acting is all how we can sum it up

People from all around the world, if u are reading this please don't forget to watch this.

A remarkable honest classic television package

Cheers

An excellent series

Author: thisistrinath from NY, United States
30 December 2007

It was one of the gems produced by Doordarshan when there was no other channel. Actually, I think(not sure) was like 6-7 years old when I used to watch this serial in Doordarshan, so obviously I don't remember anything about it except the only fact that I liked it then very much. I like the tune also. It lived an impression in my mind. It was a collection of episodes of everyday activities of ordinary people but was touching. Now I want to relive it and thats why I look forward to buying the DVD and may be book also. Watch it and if you have taste for light moments where actually lot of knowledge resides, then you will like it for sure.

Never before seen saga of life in a village

Author: sukal123 from India
4 September 2007

Dear Friends, This is truly a masterpiece of the TV days when there was only one channel ,namely, Doordarshan. I still remember the Wednesdays when there also used to be Chitrahaar another major attraction on that day. It was a visual treat for children and elders alike. The only one of its type to hold appeal for both children and adults. This TV masterpiece would only be equalled in its popularity by other greats like Mahabarta.It is still remembered to this day because of its lilting music which when I remember those days I can vividly recall the tune. It was a visual delight because it transformed you into a totally different world which you believed really existed. To top it all, there were some characters like the grocer, his servant, the snake-charmer, and of course Swami who looked real people. That was the beauty of this truly classic TV series.

The best TV show ever in the history or future of Door Darshan

Author: Adi Y from US
2 June 2009

Even though knowing that one of the Karnataka's most talented actor/director Shankar nag has directed the series and also acted by Karnataka's (kannada Film Industry)great talents like Anant Nag (brother of the director Shankar Nag) and Master Manjunath, I never expected this to be so good. When I watched the first episode I was dumb founded. After that I was just hooked... I still remember my childhood days eagerly waiting for every single episode and totally getting lost in amazing stories of "Malgudi Days" and swamy's innocence for the whole 22 minutes and wishing those 22 minutes to never get over. The serial is shot in Malgudi (a sweet place in Karnataka) which depicts several stories from Swamy's life written by RK Narayan. I own the DVD's and still watch them regularly. Even after watching countless number of times one can never get bored... If you want me to describe "Malgudi Days" in words I can merely say "Words cannot describe it" or words by any body else other than RK Narayan himself.

Excellent

Author: toni 123 from India
23 November 2005

I think this is, BY FAR, the best TV serial to ever be produced in India...by anyone. At least from what I've seen.

The atmosphere and the mood that the episodes create are something very positive, wholesome, and nostalgic.

I miss watching Malgudi Days with my family when I was small.

Those were truly beautiful times..unlike what Indian cinema has turned into now.

To say that moral artistry is something which is lacking in India nowadays, would be an understatemnet. It simply no longer exists.

I recommend "Malgudi Days" to anyone who comes across it. And I encourage to anyone who reads this, to stop buying cheap commodities produced by Indian cinema today. Only when the buying stops will the selling stop.

Great!!

Author: Vivek Prakash from India
14 October 2008

Dear All, Its been a great effort by Shankar nag. He created a splendid effect on everybody by creating such a great art sculpture like Malgudi Days!! Please don't forget to watch. If you watch you will know what life is!! The make up, Costume and want to tell one thing the role Swamy will leave you spellbound and the scenes where Swamy plays Cricket is ecstatic. One who have not seen this they are definitely going to miss the greatest ever television series. Really thanks and warm regards for Shankar Nag for creating such a great series with which we still cherish the memories and life and finally the aspiration.

Love Vivek Prakash

The stories are simple yet moving

Author: thinkerv0 from India
26 January 2012

The stories are simple yet moving. Some of these stories do have elements of suspense thrillers and almost all of them have healthy humor and existential question marks do come out dancing at the doors of your understanding in some of the stories. These stories as a whole look like celebration of life in all its forms.There is a common theme in all these stories: A person in a unique crisis. This might be crisis of faith or existential nightmare or a peculiar event. What really makes these short stories leave an indelible mark on your memory is: Coherent and very identifiable characters who are struggling for better living or for more happiness. You find that you are in these stories, your neighbor and your friends are also there and that sexagenarian old man who used to tell you great stories of his youth but rarely used to find any audience except you is there in these stories. It seems that these are stories of the village where you used to stay in your childhood. Malgudi Days has become part of memories of great old days which make many of us nostalgic. As I watch these episodes again after a long time, I find that the characters are so intriguing and so perfectly played by some very good artists. The credit indeed goes to great stories written by R K Narayan. Without these stories it would have been impossible to create such profound impact by these episodes.

Late Kannada actor and director Shankar Nag directed this television series. Anant Nag has enacted a lot of characters in many episodes. My verdict on his performances is—he is a great method actor and he has accomplished his job with utmost of sincerity. Almost all other actors have done their due with convincing art. As for the masterly direction— it just amazes you every time you watch these episodes. There are a few goofs but they were almost inevitable and if you accept them with entirety of the comely stories, you are left with something very significant to appreciate. Carnatic Musician L. Vidyanathan composed the score for this series and this is one of those musical pieces which stay with you. The sketches shown at the beginning of each episode were done by cartoonist R. K. Laxman.

Nothing better than Malgudi Days has ever happened to Indian TV in my opinion. Anything which came close to it was Byomkesh Bakshi. In both of the cases, stories were profound and well appreciated and artists, who chose to work on them for TV avatar, took the project with a great degree of earnestness.

You want to visit Malgudi after watching any story and want to become part of those interesting conversations. You want to hear a lot more of those gossips and rumors. You want to sit with villagers near wells and talk about everyday life. You want to witness that most uproarious but yet most linguistically and existentially significant conversation between Muni and USA tourist. You want to be amongst those villagers when that cat inside a vessel is jumping from place to place inside the store and they are scared that a ghost is making those noises.