IMDb > Funny Money (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Funny Money More at IMDbPro »

Major disappointment

Author: maros612 from Europe
10 February 2007

First of all I must say, I don't agree with the current rating (6.4) which is in my opinion a result of small number of voters. This movie, except few first minutes, is a giant mess. It looks like Monthy Python on speed. I can't believe Chevy Chase is acting in this one. Obviously, we have different perception of humor as well as the taste, but this movie could not be labeled as good comedy no matter what angle you're looking at it from. Long story short and without spoilers, the whole plot is stationed to a house, and all 'humourous' situations are caused by visit of two detectives, that came to visit without warrant and could be sent away in a heartbeat by any conscious adult. I am a huge fan of comedy and also of the movies with Chevy Chase, but I was very disappointed. This movie had just a few comic situations and dialogs, not enough for calling it funny movie. I certainly wouldn't recommend this to anyone who looks for an entertaining movie.

A comedic farce of the first degree!

Author: PaigeDean from United States
1 April 2006

What a delight to see Chevy Chase back on-screen again, with a great ensemble of hilarious actors. Director Leslie Grief does an excellent job of keeping the audience in stitches from the opening credits to the final Smile.

We saw this movie as the opening film of the 2006 Sarasota Film Festival, in a theater with 1700 other people. There is no question that the audience loved it. At times, the laughs were so loud and long that if you weren't paying close attention, you might have missed the next joke.

If you are looking for good, old-fashioned belly laughs, you won't be disappointed in this film. Kudos to Leslie Grief, Chevy Chase, Penelope Anne Miller, Armand Assante and Chris McDonald.

Not as bad as most people are say!

Author: nickc78 from United Kingdom
6 August 2007

As a big fan of Chevy Chase I was interested to watch this film and as with most of the previous comments of this film I agree that it is certainly no "Fletch" or early "Vacation" film. But the point the most people seem to be missing is that this film is an adaptation of a farcical play written by (British Playwright) Ray Cooney and as such any attempt to dissect the plot is akin to dissecting the plot of an absurdist play (see "Rhinoceros" - starring Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel) - there is no point.

I think it is a reasonably good comedy although in general I find farce frustrating - namely for the reasons that annoyed most of the people who have criticised this film i.e. plot makes no sense, situations that could easily be dissolved are allowed to carry on out of control etc. Essentially this film has been created to resemble a stage production i.e small ensemble of core characters and a minimal number of sets.

I think the main characters are fairly strong and the dialogue and interaction between the characters is fast paced and funny although I do think it takes 20/30 minutes to get going.

As for the cast in general it was good and I actually thought that Penelope Ann Miller's character was excellent and she played it very well. Chevy Chase's character was also good and his interaction with both Armand Assante's and Christopher McDonald's characters brought the most laughs.

The bottom line is if you do not like farce you will probably not like this film. I also do think that in general any film that is an adaption of a stage play or remake is always destined to fail especially if the original was not American (a good example would be the remake of "The Ladykillers" - the big question being why did it need to be remade?)

Un-funny Money

Author: pooley79 from Australia
17 August 2007

Well I can honestly say that this is one of the first Chevy Chase movies I haven't actually laughed at...... at least not in a good sense!! With it's predictable plot, un-funny slapstick type humour and lack of depth, this movie drones along to leave the viewer watching the clock on the DVD player anxiously awaiting 1 hour and 29 minutes to be up! Chevy Chase and the rest of the cast tried very hard, I've been a big fan of Chevy Chase all my life, and must say that I feel sorry for him being subjected to acting in this movie, guess times are desperate for him.

Anyway, Die hard Chevy Chase fans will wanna check this one out regardless but don't get ur hopes up for anything special, I was hoping for a kinda " Rat Race" feel to the movie, instead I smelt a dirty rat.

Un-funny Money

Author: vranger from United States
16 January 2009

In January of 2007 this movie debuted in limited release on four screens, pulled in less than $2000, and hopefully those few people demanded a refund.

The director and the cast should have paniced sometime during filming when it became clear that the movie had only one joke, not amusing the first time around, but repeated over and over in every scene until I finally had to give up and switch away to a re-run of a Jeopardy game.

I liked Chevy Chase early in his career in TV and film, but his talents have dissipated even more quickly than his hair. He walks thru this film with no flair or style whatsoever. This has been all too common in some of his later efforts.

A sad waste of time for everyone involved, especially the viewer.

This film does has an funny premise but too bad, this movie is not as funny as it seems.

Author: Lucien Lessard from Canada
8 May 2008

Henry Perkins (Chevy Chase) is been working at a fruit wax company for many years and he doesn't seem to be appreciate by his boss (Robert Loggia). In this day, Henry is also celebrating his birthday. Which his wife (Penelope Ann Miller) wants to planning a surprise birthday party for her husband. But when Henry accidentally switched his briefcase with a stranger from the subway. Herny finds $5 million on the briefcase that looks like his. Since Henry realizes quickly the situation of this problem. Since the mysterious guy, he accidentally switch his briefcase has his identity in it. Henry wants to leave the country with his struggling artist wife to Europe but the Perkins' only friends (Christopher McDonald and Alex Meneses) shows up his birthday party. But there's more to come... when Henry has problems with a sleazy corrupted police detective (Armand Assante), a taxi driver (Guy Torry) who doesn't like to be waiting, a clumsy police detective (Kevin Sussman), a very rich kinky woman named MM. Virginia (Rebecca Wisocky) who feels Henry's wife has some talent and the European mob boss known as Mr. Big (Zoltan Butuc) & his crew is searching for his briefcase.

Directed by Leslie Grief made an watchable but hardly funny farce. There's a few good laughs here but not much of it. The movie seems to have energy from his cast but the script also written by the director and Harry Basil is quite poor. The movie feels rushed, gags are not well executed and it is also badly filmed. Grief's wasted a capable good cast. I do believe Chase could be really funny actor but i think, it works best when he is in the hands of a good comedic filmmaker like Harold Ramis or John Landis. Ann Miller's performance is really irritating here. Since it's based on a stage play of the same title by Ray Cooney. I am sure, the stage play works much better than this misfired picture. It's certainly a nice try and it's more of a Curio film than entertainment. Too bad. (* ½/*****).

a fun on the mess money makes of men (and woman)

Author: ilya ginzburg (africatranslation@gmail.com) from israel
7 October 2014

once a square predictable men gets his hands on a five million suitcase, he is spontaneous, resourceful, and cunning, and he needs every drop of it to bring the millions preferably alongside himself to shore, because soon enough, good cops , bad cops, uncooperative wife, Romanian Mafiosos, and the his best friends will be involved in a an evening no one in the house will forget, not even the cabdriver. yeah watch that cabdriver. the movie is a fanny way to pass an evening of your own and imagine the what ifs, make a plan and share it, if you kind enough with the writer of these review.

let me leave you to the movie with a final thought not of my own

"Money, if it does not bring you happiness, will at least help you be miserable in comfort." - Helen Gurley Brown

Looking at the other reviews this film seems to divide people...

Author: willman85 from United Kingdom
15 September 2013

With a title of "Funny Money" you ought to be able to work out that this is a film that doesn't take itself seriously ... and neither should you. If it helps, forget the fact that Chevy Chase is playing the lead - lots of big actors play low budget films anyway. There are many belly-laughter moments amongst the amused grins. Just don't be expecting a different kind of film based on your experience of contemporary comedy films, e.g. gross-out humour. This film may be low budget, but it is NOT SLAPSTICK. It is FARCE. That means that the humour predominately lies in lots of things happening very quickly continually upsetting the current situation. The beginning of the film is probably the worst part but is necessary to set up the premise for the rest of the story. So basically, stick with it to when it gets to the main act. Overview: a frivolous, fun and funny 97 minutes.

surprisingly entertaining comedy farce

Author: JohnnyD from United States
5 August 2012

We picked this DVD out of a stack one Saturday afternoon and dropped it in, not expecting much. The movie starts slow, with about a half-hour of exposition. It really kicks into gear when the action moves to the apartment of the two leads (Chase and Miller).

The movie works like a play, with most of the action confined to this apartment. Characters come and go, and interact with each other. This is not a subtle or ironic comedy, but rather most of the gags are coarse and blunt. Some are also repeated a number of times.

This may not be your cup of tea, but for me, on that afternoon, it was just what I was in the mood to see. I laughed out loud and was sad when the movie started to wrap up.

One of the most awful movie I ever watched.

Author: PopcornLovesMovie from United States
5 March 2007

Do not watch this movie! I really think people who give this movie good ratings must be part of the production or something related because this movie is really really crappy. If I can give it minus rating I would.

First the good:

The concept of the movie is not bad. Funny money, a story where a man pick the wrong briefcase and have some troubles because of it. Not very creative but what the hey, sounds like a classic good old fun movie.

Now the bad:

1. VERY crappy acting. You can SEE that they are acting.

2. VERY crappy dialogues. Some might argue "can you write a better one?" YES I CAN. And so can YOU!

3. VERY crappy editing. I cannot say I can do a better job because I have no editing skill whatsoever but where and when they cut the movie to go to another scene is terrible. Any movie-making undergraduate can make this.

4. Actors that are not in sync with each other. It seems the actors are not casted and they just pick some somewhat popular names.

5. Penelope Miller - She is over-acting and it is very very annoying. This is just personal opinion that I'm sure a lot who watched it will agree.

6. Actually, most of the actors are annoying because you can't really follow the logic of their decision.

This isn't even worth watching if it was free!!! Not even if you love with Chevy Chase!