IMDb > "Star Trek: Enterprise" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Enterprise"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Star Trek: Enterprise" More at IMDbPro »"Enterprise" (original title)

Page 1 of 34:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Enterprise is well on its way to being the best Trek ever!!

Author: Jaret Morlan (smeghead_54@yahoo.com) from Iowa City
8 October 2001

Enterprise is the most genuinely invigorating thing to happen to not only Trek, but television as well. But I don't really want to rehash everything that everybody else has said, want I want to do is express my disappointment in a majority of the fans.

Back Off!!! A lot of the comments on this site have been nothing more than whining and nit-picking about what Enterprise "isn't." The concept of this show has apparently flown past your heads at warp 4.5! This isn't Trek as we know it! That is the point, the traditional Trek was a tired dog that was on it's last leg. The idea here is to do something new, something different that we weren't ready for. Stop analyzing what it should be, what it could be, and what it has already done wrong.

For those of you who haven't yet seen it, I'm telling you that it is fantastic; it's thrilling, touching, funny, adventurous, and as interesting and curious as the original series. But, when you watch it, go in with ABSOLUTELY no preconceived notions of what Trek is or what it should be. Berman and Braga have done exactly what they have set out to do and that is to reinvent Trek.

And for those of you who apparently had to bite your lip through this, where the heck is YOUR sense of adventure. We are seeing the BEGINNING of Star Trek! This is a dream come true! I mean come on guys, we got to witness the FIRST time they ever see a Klingon!! How cool is that. If you would stop trying, endlessly to find something to complain about, you would find yourself enjoying little things like finding out where Kirk's famous speech "Space, the final frontier..." actually came from, or seeing how afraid they are of the transporters. How you can not be slightly giddy seeing Jonathan Archer pick up a "Phase Pistol" and ask, "What's this?" These are the nuggets that you are letting slip by because you have this notion that you know what is best for Star Trek. I have loved all the series'( though Voyager is by far my least favorite) but it was time for something new.

One last beef with the fans, lay off the theme song. I think its wonderful. This is another one of those preconceived notions we have of what Trek is supposed to be. Yes, it is different than what we are used to, but if you stop judging and actually watch the images being shown and actually LISTEN to the words, you may find it slightly inspiring. Not to mention the fact that it is actually a very pretty song, that is, when you haven't already canned it because of being close minded.

This series is not about the continuation of Star Trek, it is about the beginning of mankind's exploration into deep space; this is why it isn't called Star Trek: Enterprise, but instead it is just Enterprise. This is not the utopian society of past Trek shows. These people are flawed, curious, impulsive, and very far from perfect. They make many mistakes and that is their enduring charm. They want this so bad and are just learning how to swim. There are so many other things I loved, such as the grappler and the amazement of a pathetic warp 5, not to mention the fantastic cast and characters (Scott Bakula has always been a personal favorite of mine!,)but I just don't have room to go into detail.

So on that note, stop shooting them down before they get going; I have a feeling its going to be one Hell of a ride! Let's Go!

A Mixed Series

Author: LtTroy from Boston
3 May 2005

I have mixed feelings about this show. It probably has contained some of the best and definitely a lot of the worst Trek episodes ever. It was meant to re-invent Trek but all it did was re-use old plot devices. The best thing they ever did was replace Berman, because he had been working on the franchise too long. Trek needs new blood, and for the 4th season they finally got it. But of course it came too late and now the show has been cancelled after it just started to find its footing.

Contrary to some other comments I've seen, Enterprise did NOT use its cast to its fullest potential. Mayweather has been virtually ignored since the first and second seasons (he wasn't even in most of the 3rd season episodes) and when he has been around lately it has only been to lift heavy things or hit something. Reed was just starting to get some good stuff this season. Enterprise had a wonderful opportunity to connect every Trek series together and revitalize the franchise but all it did (and most people believe this) was bury it. Despite Enterprise's accomplishments, its failures reign supreme. As much as I love Trek, it needs a rest. Maybe after a few years it will be brought back by people who have new ideas to bring to it. Then, hopefully, we will truly go where no one has gone before.

Now, they get better when it's too late!

Author: brocious from United States
16 April 2005

For the past year I've watched Enterprise hoping they would get better and quit being so doom and gloom. I was hoping for them to get back to basics and more of the original Star Trek. Well, finally after a so-so year, they get back more to the original and start getting good again. I get all pumped up about it, and what does UPN do; but, cancel it! Well, that settles it. I have no reason to watch UPN again. Too bad another network or syndication wouldn't pick up Enterprise. If it would continue as it's been this year alone, it could run many more years. The camaraderie's is back and it's getting more humorous. The stories are fantastic. And, we're seeing more of the beginning of the original Trek! The writers are getting imaginative again! Well, hopefully there will be a miracle and Enterprise will be saved, though I doubt it. Too bad! I really hope it's not the end of the Star trek series. I hope Enterprise makes a comeback, some how, some way! Someone please save this series!

Star Trek: In The Beginning...

Author: ChristopherPike from United Kingdom
12 July 2009

It is the mid 22nd Century: over a hundred years before Kirk and Spock. The crew of Earth's latest breakthrough Warp 5 starship; led by Captain Jonathan Archer, are making their first steps into the galaxy. Firmly believing humankind has been held back for too long by Vulcan interference, Archer is eager to embark on Enterprise's mission of deep space exploration. Survival proves perilous the farther from home they travel. Outmatched by superior aliens equipped with far more powerful weaponry, this first crew face a steep learning curve. Among their challenges will come Klingon aggression, militaristic Andorians, territorial Romulans and the Suliban; a race receiving aid from the future. This Temporal Cold War story arc heats up with the arrival of a probe sent by the Xindi and seven million people die in an unprovoked attack. With another more powerful weapon being assembled deep within the Delphic Expanse, Starfleet hastily curtails the Enterprise's assignment, sending their most experienced crew in a desperate attempt to save Earth. Along the way, we discover familiar trek-nology from future Star Trek series at a less advanced stage including a crew scared to use the transporter, so frequent use of space suits, decompression airlocks & shuttle-pods and instead of shields, polarised hull-plating. Those coming straight from JJ Abrams' 2009 movie will probably appreciate this uncomplicated style the most. The rest of us get to have fun spotting familiar elements from past series, especially by the fourth season - as we visit the Mirror Universe, encounter green skinned Orions, as the Vulcans gradually come to respect their illogical allies, as they make the very first steps toward uniting warring races.

Out of all the Star Trek series, I generally keep returning to Enterprise for more. I'd like to think that's down to something deeper than knowing the Original Series, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine & Voyager inside and out.

I love these characters and while they're definitely not the perfect, moral human beings Gene Roddenberry might have have created, they do in fact hold true to his ideals. They're ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances, stumbling and making mis-steps along the way with best of intentions.

Archer, interested me from the outset (being familiar with Scott Bakula's previous work) his Captain out there alone with no support, no rulebook or role models to learn from their mistakes. His 'quid pro quo' relationship with Shran (a blue-skinned Andorian), both skeptics of the Vulcan's agenda and yet building bridges that will ultimately lead to an interstellar alliance known as the Federation. Trip, likable Southern Engineer who's deep friendship with his Captain, manages to survive his occasional bouts of insubordination. T'Pol, initially an observer from a Vulcan government concerned about the impact of humankind's deep exploration. Growing more accustomed to the crew and their perspective. Her relationship with Trip, which manages to rise above its somewhat exploitive origins and her struggle to maintain control over her emotions. At this point, I should also make it clear I loved what Enterprise did with the Vulcans and how they are every bit the race seen all the way back to the Original Series. I could continue to outline traits of the various other regulars, who are anything but cyphers in my opinion. Under developed in comparison to the big three for sure, but I feel that was changing... even Travis Mayweather got in on the action by the end.

I love the technology - a grappler instead of tractor beams, phase pistols and EM rifles, airlocks and shuttle-pods deployed from bomb bay doors underneath. When you're at a disadvantage, you have nothing but your wits to rely on and this show was about as far from Voyager's technobabble saves the day approach as it was possible for Trek to realistically get.

I still believe there is unexplored potential left in Enterprise and indeed it firmly has feet under the franchise table, as a prequel to both the 60's TV show and JJ Abrams' motion picture based in an alternate reality. 2 reasonably good seasons, 2 excellent ones kept me watching and yet still barely scratched the surface. Had I been in charge of CBS/Paramount in 2005, I certainly would not have cancelled this... not considering how well the stories were coming along in leaps and bounds. I hope they're looking at the popularity of Star Trek in cinemas at the moment, and think back to that day fans held a rally outside the studio, sent emails and letters... all protesting the loss of a show that had finally turned the tide into fan acceptance, only to be unjustly rewarded with the axe. Shame on the Executive who made that decision.

The Best star Trek Show

Author: arcbeatle from Elkhart, Indiana, America
30 October 2006

Enterprise became my favorite show as soon as I saw it, the opening song, the characters, the design... All ran through my mind every day after viewing it. Enterprise is at its core a show about exploration, about breaking the boundaries that other people have put on you. Its also about discovery, which as its turns out isn't always a good thing. The characters Don't start out set in stone, and then have problems thrown at them, the change over the course of the show, and the writers were not afraid to shake their lives up; sometimes is horrific ways.

We get to see Earth meet new alien cultures, go through its first interstellar war, and see it develop. The show doesn't pull its punches either, when things die they are dead, characters can be irrational, immoral, and generally very realistic.

Enterprise succeeds where much TV fails, it created a cast of interesting, developing characters while still delivering the action that makes TV fun. But without people, action is Empty. Enterprise is perfect in my eyes at least, and deserves to be seen. Even if you don't normally like Sci-fi, you might enjoy this show. A lot.

Enterprise Cancelled

Author: nicoli_unt from United Kingdom
4 February 2005

Its Official, after 4 years of Enterprise, UPN has announced Enterprise will end after this season. Look on www.startrek.com.

PS i think the 3rd season killed Enterprise and a fan base unwilling to stretch their imaginations and get some new material in. The 3rd Season with a great area called the Delphic Expanse has never been mentioned in previous Star Trek canon and I think it would have been considering Earth was nearly destroyed.

Typically it gets cancelled as Season 4 was improving its outlook, the 3-story arcs were great and we were starting to get the Vulcans back into the Vulcans we recognised (I think the new types of Vulcans were a turn off for fans as well.) I was loving all the Tellarites/Andorians/Vulcans/Humans starting to work together, we had the beginnings of the Federation.

Its a shame but I personally do blame a lack of imagination in Berman/Braga.

Boldly going, going, gone.

Author: TDFig from United States
13 May 2005

I'm stunned. It's hard to believe that with the cancellation of "STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE", for the first time in18 years there will not be a STAR TREK series on the air. I have spent an abnormal amount of time engaged in water cooler talk as to why the latest STAR TREK spin-off failed to last more than 4 seasons. I do consider myself a TREK fan but I am hesitant to use terms like Trekkie or Trekker. I see STAR TREK the same way I see religion. It can be a great source of comfort, it should be used in moderation and I don't want to associate with or be associated with its followers. These devoted fans by the way recently raised over 15 million dollars to keep this fifth TREK series on the air, forcing them to delay moving out of their parent's basements for at least... Well I guess they had the disposable income anyway. Don't get me wrong, some of my best friends are Trekkies or Trekkers. Go rent the documentary TREKKIES and you will know what I am talking about.

What Gene Roddenberry pitched, as "Wagon Train to the Stars" became much more than what WilliamShatner described on SNL as, "...just a TV show!" Roddenberry managed to address the problems of the day that would not have been addressed otherwise on TV, by using outer space as its backdrop. The show inspired many to reach for the stars by studying science. People of color and women seeing Lt. Uhura (Nichelle Nichols) on the Enterprise bridge saw a future that included them. The show inspired new technology and it's packaging. Imagine what your cell phone or home computer would look like without STAR TREK as inspiration. Gene Rodenbery's vision also showed us a future where people of all races worked and played together (including TV's first interracial kiss Plato's Stepchildren).

I know that I'm making this sound bigger than just the cancellation of a TV show. I liked Enterprise and was not bothered by the multiple episode story lines. I still saw Gene Roddenberry's original intentions realized in this latest STAR TREK franchise. I liked that Captain Jonathan Archer's (Scott Bakula ) Enterprise and crew was less sophisticated than Captain Kirk's or Picard's. The bottom line is that it doesn't matter if you are battling an unknown alien threat or debating the moral implications of interfering with the development of an alien species, as long as the show is well written and well acted, that's all that matters.

One of the great things about Trek is that you can never run out of story ideas. All you have to do is look at today's newsmakers, paint them green and stick them on another planet.

Fear not Trekkies or Trekkers. Even though we are saying goodbye to Captain Archer's Enterprise, the franchise will live long and prosper. There is now talk about an 11th STAR TREK feature scheduled for release in 2007. I look forward to it, just don't expect to see me at the first screening and I definitely wont be in uniform because to quote Groucho Marx, "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member".

Stay Tuned Tony Figueroa

It's time for Trek to take a long break

Author: scorpius-nl from netherlands
3 February 2005

As an avid fan of Star Trek, I really tried to like Enterprise, but it didn't do it for me.

First of, choosing a prequel was a huge risk, Star Trek has an universe of it's own, and (re)writing the past leaves people often puzzling about their own ideas about it. And besides, with enterprise looking far more advanced then the enterprise in the old series, it's often hard to imagine it's a prequel. It is a well known fact that Braga and Berman hated the old series, and I get the impression it was just their chance to "rewrite trek history".

Secondly it was a huge mistake involving time travel and the Xindi, to me it was simply not a believable start of a prequel series. I would have expected a detailed plot regarding the troubles of starting up the federation. Yet 3 seasons where wasted around time travel, season 4 is a lot better and would have been a great start for the series.

Thirdly, the character development was only focused on t'Pal and Archer, the rest of the crew was pretty under developed most of the times. It it nice to see though, that in each Star Trek series the doctor is always an enjoyable character.

Fourthly, the show misses the "Star Trek" feeling, I found it typical that in the beginning the show didn't even carry the Star Trek label, as if it was never the intention of making a Star Trek show. What made Star Trek stand out was mostly the social criticism and idealism, and this show barely touched any of that.

And lastly it saddens me that the current fan base of Enterprise watches the series because the "the female characters are hot" or "it's action packed". Of course nothing wrong with both, but it shouldn't the main reason to watch the show.

All in all, Star Trek has gone pretty much downhill since Voyager, many people who disliked Voyager saw Enterprise as a second chance for the franchise. With Enterprise now canceled as a TV show, I can only hope the franchise is laid to rest for a long while. It should only be revived again when Berman and Braga have left, and someone with a true heart for the series steps in with some fresh ideas.

Enterprise Renewed for 4th Season. 2004. SUPER!

Author: (rocket8403@yahoo.com) from NY
25 June 2004

In a TV world that is dominated by reality shows and people eating insects it is good to see that STAR TREK ENTERPRISE will be renewed for a 4th season.. This show is one of the best in the Trek family, and will be exciting in its 2004 4th season.

The Show is intelligent and exciting, has great characters, Scott Bakula has excelled as Captain and continues to improve. Fans have supported the show and have helped keep it on because of the quality of the show. The 3rd season involving the Xindi was incredible and the continuing story lines, was edge of your seat stuff, of TV years past..

Get on the Bandwagon and watch a great show, you may not see Jessica Simpson Burp or Paris Hilton Milk a cow but its the BEST Star Trek in MANY years since the TNG as its story lines blow away DSN or Voyager..

Truly where no star trek series has gone before and its worth a look.

Gone Astray...

Author: fischcj from United States
20 July 2004

"Enterprise" as it was known four years ago (at the time this article was written) premiered with one of the best Sci-Fi pilots I've ever seen: "Broken Bow". It showed the 22nd century, aboard a spaceship that was closer to a submarine then a luxury liner. It also showed a crew that would be like you and me going out into space.

The first 10 episodes of the series were excellently done. The second half of the first season, although not up to the same standards as the first half, were also well done. Then came the season finale: "Shockwave pt I". It was new, yes, with Captain Jonathan Archer trapped in the 31st Century A.D. The second half left much to be desired, However, and Enterprise succumbed to the same fate that Star Trek: The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine before it did: The bad second season. Granted, TNG had "Measure of a Man" in the second season, but most of it were still filler episodes. The last few episodes of Season 2, however, started to pick up pace. Starting with "The Breach" the episodes became thought provoking and tough, save "Bounty", which was a poor substitute. "Cogenetor" is rated as among the greatest episodes of Enterprise and is also considered a Trek classic. Then came the Xindi, and with the Third Season consisting of a major story arc that in the end proved to be as complex as one that belonged in Deep Space Nine. The Third season was by far the greatest year of Trek since the end of Deep Space Nine, and with Braga taking a step back to oversee his new show, Manny Coto is slated to take the Helm. For what seemed like a show gone astray, it has managed to re-rail itself pretty well, it's major issue now is not one of story-telling, for Season Three provided the viewers with episodes like "Twilight" and "Similitude" as well as several more. No, the issue now is one of promotion, the are where the network, UPN, has faltered...

Page 1 of 34:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]