IMDb > American Outlaws (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
American Outlaws

American Outlaws More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 17: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

fun for most of the family

Author: babysquid from California
16 August 2001

I received free preview passes to this movie and thought "what the heck, it's free." Not being a fan of westerns this movie was not on the high end of my to-see list. I was pleasantly surprised when I was became entranced during the first few minutes. I enjoyed this film from start to finish. It has the action to make it a "guys" film and the plot and character development ( plus hot guys) to make it a "chick" flick.

Also, it should be noted that I took my siblings- one older (late 20's) brother, one younger (16 yrs old) brother, and one younger sister (12)-- and everyone enjoyed this movie. It was nice to be able to finally have a movie we could all see without worrying about the little one. And without the rest of us being bored. Thank you Warner Bros.

Robin Hood with a Six-gun?

Author: katana_one from Jacksonville, FL
15 August 2001

I left the theatre wondering if I really enjoyed this film or not. And you should never have to ask yourself if you like something...it should be a clear "yes" or "no" answer.

Aside from the great number of historical inaccuracies (allow the writers some degree of creative license here), I thought the film had an unfinished feel to it. The story ends just when things are getting interesting, in my opinion.

The characters are unconvincing...Timothy Dalton's accent seems to fade in and out through the whole film, as one example. All of the supporting characters are stereotypically stupid or incompetent, while the main characters seem to belong in a different era altogether.

To sum it all up, this is an action movie disguised as a western. It is also a very forgettable film, but you might enjoy it for the time it is on screen.

One of th Best of Summer 2001!

Author: (spacemonkey28@yahoo.com) from Baltimore, MD
15 August 2001

I enjoyed this film more than I thought I would. I am not a huge western fan, but this movie was the best western I've seen in a while.

The ensemble cast was great! They worked well together especially the "gang" of outlaws. One of the reasons for wanting to see this movie was Colin Farrell. He is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors even though he is a relative newcomer.

The story was pretty tight although I am not up enough on western history to know how close it was to "true" history. There was never really a slow moment in the movie. Each character had his/her own storyline which was played out nicely for an ensemble cast.

Go see this movie! You won't be disappointed.

A good new western with new faces.

Author: (ser-al@msn.com) from California
15 August 2001

I enjoyed this movie. I do really enjoy a good western. This was a good western. Maybe a bit goody to be realistic but I still enjoyed the movie. I really liked that fact that all the main characters were not played by "big" name actors/actress's. New faces are always a treat especially when they are as fresh and attractive as these were. I enjoyed it, as did my teenage son, and my 9 and 3 year old daughters, so I would say this was a good family movie.

Pure entertainment

Author: Rose-111 from Seattle, Washington
15 August 2001

Going into this movie I wasn't sure what to expect. I was expecting action, but not a comedy. I laughed through out the entire movie. It was worth the seven dollars. Sometimes you need a break from all the epic dramas and stupid teen-flicks. It's pure entertainment. Colin Farrell is a great Jesse James, and if you love him in this, check out his amazing performance in Tigerland.

Young Guns revisited!

Author: (pycnn30339@yahoo.com) from United States
15 August 2001

This movie had all the same elements that made Young Guns such a popular hit in the 80's... humor, action, and strong characters. It does the same for Young Guns as Young Guns did for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. It's the constant cycle of "old ideas, with fresh faces" at it's most blatant and obvious. Just replace Emilio Estevez with Colin Farrell, and Keifer Sutherland with Gabriel Macht. As an added bonus, we even have Terry Quinn and Craig Erickson from Young Guns making their appearances as the Deputy and as Rollin Parker. I actually wanted to hate the movie for it's appeal to pop-culture teen movies, but I actually was highly entertained. I love Ali Larter! :)

Overall, well done

Author: colcam
15 August 2001

Overall this was a movie that was well done-- pure fluff, perhaps, with a large dollop of post feminist womanhood (in the form of Ali Larter, an actor we should see more of in larger roles) and with large doses of violence that were far, far too clean.

Perhaps the writers and directors should be compelled to learn a little more about the effects of a bullet impact on the human body, or how likely it is that a thin piece of wood might stop that bullet from plowing through the man cowering behind. I cringe at the way motion picture tends to treat these rather dangerous items; demonizing them on one hand and pretending they are only mildly discomforting and slightly dangerous on the other hand.

Is there a rule of motion picture that says physical laws must be disregarded when the protagonist is the subject of those laws? Heroes are not bulletproof, and in real combat (or even western shoot outs) bullets tend to wander into people, and in so doing cause horrendous damage. Guns recoil, bullets go through walls, and both combatants and the innocent are casualties. In real life people don't recover from a rifle round in the chest in two weeks. In real life people die unless they have exceptional modern medical care.

Maybe this is just fluff, or maybe we are educating ourselves to act in a stupid and dangerous manner by remaining willing to accept the "Hero runs around untouched in a gunfight" style of film.

Farrell Shines in Otherwise Bland Re-Interpretation of the James Gang

Author: noralee from Queens, NY
22 December 2005

"American Outlaws" has a better historical sense than the Young Guns series.

While its contemporary slang, haircuts, make-up and gleaming white teeth on the attractive stars are definitely non-period, I was surprised that this re-interpretation of the Jesse James myth actually worked as a story line. I don't remember seeing a Western, particularly none by John Ford, that made the link before between post-Civil War societal transformations, the railroad construction, federal government intervention and the James gang.

With a lot less to work with dialog-wise than he had in "Tigerland," Colin Farrell is still mesmerizing to the camera (even though his native Irish brogue occasionally slips out), helped by standing-out in comparison to his too bland co-stars.

Of course, no visages can match the sets of actual brothers and relatives that Walter Hill used in "The Long Riders" to viscerally communicate the James/Younger gang's closeness.

Timothy Dalton's Pinkerton hints at an interesting historical character.

There's an odd credit at the end that some scenes were taken from the movie Maverick - scenery or something else?

(originally written 8/21/2001)

American Outlaws

Author: futurestevenspielberg from United States
3 July 2005

A Western/Action/Comedy about Jesse James(Colin Farrell)and his brother Frank James(Gabriel Macht)come back from the war and find that the railroad is buying up all the farms.But they stand up against the railroad and raise a gang called the James Younger gang they rob all of the banks that the railroad has money in.So the railroad gets the famous Allan Pinkerton(Timothy Dalton)to hunt down the gang of outlaws.

Colin Farrell(Jesse James)did not do that good of a job with his acting i was very disappointed as a mater of fact nobody in this movie accept Timothy Dalton(Allan Pinkerton)did a good job acting Ali Larter did a horrible job she was always overacting.The screenplay would have been better if they would have had different actors reading it.I loved the storyline it was very entertaining.the directing was boring nothing special about it.

Best actor/actress-Timothy Dalton

Had the chance to be great and nobody took it-Jake Hyden

I gave this movie a 5 out of 10

Rated-(PG-13) for western violence.

My sort of film

Author: Cate (cate_smiles) from Tasmania, Australia
31 August 2003

I really love movies like this. Three Musketeers, Lethal Weapon series, Robin Hood movies, A Knight's Tale - lots of action, tongue-in-cheek humour, bit of romance and the good guys win! I've only recently 'discovered' this movie. I wanted to see it because Colin Farrell was in it, and I've watched it twice already. It's lots of fun, mostly because it's not a serious movie. Those reviewers who don't like this movie because it's not realistic? It's not meant to be! Who really cares that Jesse James & gang weren't really like this, the actors certainly don't, they're just having fun. So pull up a comfy seat, switch off your brain, sit back and prepare to enjoy the ride!