IMDb > Italian for Beginners (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Italiensk for begyndere

Italian for Beginners More at IMDbPro »Italiensk for begyndere (original title)

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Sweet!

Author: leigh muelhoefer from Denver, CO, USA
4 March 2002

What a cute little film! Sort of like a Danish version of "Amelie" crossed w/Six Degrees of Separation. It's refreshing to see a film that deals specifically w/thirty-somethings who are not married with kids (I can relate). Good character development (presented in an attention-maintaining fashion) and nice flow. Refreshing, light finish. Great date movie! But man, can someone send a shipment of hair combs to Denmark? My friend and I joked that we are no longer going to say we are having a bad hair day. Instead, we'll say, "My hair looks like I'm from Denmark," or "I'm having a Denmark hair day." Sorry for rambling, it's a nice film w/an original plot and creative ending. Definitely worth seeing.

a fun movie

Author: slaterdo (slaterdo@hotmail.com)
20 February 2002

I really liked this film. It was easy to watch, nice story of simple romances, had a good feeling to it. The characters are all well done with different personalities yet all fitting together. See it, you won't be disappointed.

Great Valentine movie

Author: Mark (azuur) from Maastricht
15 February 2002

This is not your ordinary Hollywood blockbuster feel good movie, but a very intimately, cosy film about people trying to discover their way on that lonely exciting path towards a love relationship.

Go see it if you have the chance !

Great Valentine movie

Author: Mark (azuur) from Maastricht
15 February 2002

This is not your ordinary Hollywood blockbuster feelgoodmovie, but a very intimitely, cosy film about people trying to discover their way on that lonely exciting path towards a love relationship.

Go see it if you have the chance !

Funny, Endearing Movie

Author: Christian from Canada
14 February 2002

Excellent film that not only respects the limitations of Dogme, but also show us that they don't have to be seen as limitations. The simplicity of the film does not take away the brilliant character development that takes place and the sweet, funny and real interplay that grows between them.

Nothing elaborate, but a glimpse at ordinary people's lives and the unifying search for love. Take the time to see it.

Note: I saw both the French subtitled and the English subtitled versions and the French one is much better. Not so much for the translation, but because the English version has a different editing that omits important parts in character development and presents things out of order. It does not draw the audience to the characters as well. So if you understand French, see the French version instead.

A Class Everyone Should Take

Author: marktucker7777 from Katy, TX, United States
14 January 2002

While I say that I'm not a big fan of the Dogma 95 movement, I look back and notice that some of the best movies of the past years are indeed Dogma productions, namely "Dancer in the Dark," "Breaking the Waves," and "The Celebration." While "Italian for Beginners" is not in the same caliber as the aforementioned greats, it is an emotionally engrossing film with some of the most real characters you'll see this year. It's a story of tough love, harrowing loss, and ultimately the power of unity in overcoming life's greatest challenges. The comedic overtones are matched seamlessly with the dramatic undertones to provide a very cathartic experience. The most amazing performance stems from Lene Tiemroth, who plays a bit role as the mother of the hairdresser, Karen. This is a very unassuming picture that seems so basic on the outside, but as you continue to dig deeper, real "pearls" of wisdom are there for the taking. Take note that the jumpy camera work, natural lighting, production sound, and choppy editing are not easy to swallow at times, but "Italian for Beginners" is still a class that everyone should take.

One of the bets films I've seen

Author: Mats Thorin from Sweden
12 January 2002

This is dogma at it's best. A wonderful script, which is so cleverly done and plays with you expectation of what's coming next. The character are flawed and truly human. The plot twists are unexpected. The true miracle for me is that you can make such an intriguing film with so little high drama. Refreshing! It might not be everybody's cup of tea but it's definitely mine!

will make you like human race a little bit more after you see it.

Author: weintraube from New York, United States
6 April 2001

This movie is beautifully acted and directed. Its characters will not make you want to run to plastic surgeon's office or to go live on deserted island. No gimmicks or cheap thrills - it is about real life and people, and it will give you good feeling and put a smile on your face for at least few days.

Author: jdesando from United States
15 February 2002

`Kate and Leopold' and `Charlotte Gray' put me in the mood for romance without cynicism, a rarity in the 21st century. But on Valentine's Day I discovered the love story of the year so tender and tentative I was annoyed when one of the loving couples went at it rather than talk about it.

`Italian for Beginners' has the simplicity of the beginning Italian class that sets up the multiple romances: the future lovers are unsure of each other the way they are about learning the language, the best learner in the class is the best sexual lover, and the slowest learners are the slowest to fulfill their loves but the deepest when they do. Does it sound as complicated as learning Italian? well, yes, but it makes great melodrama and mirth.

The film follows no cliches until the end: the grieving temporary pastor has a Maserati but difficulty asking for a date; a hairdresser massages a head with unsurpassed sensuality, yet can't complete a haircut or romance with her object of desire; an impotent older man finds love in a younger Catholic Italian girl, with whom he can't even prove his cure until after marriage.

Audiences need to accept the jerky handheld camera and lack of special effects required in the Dogma 95 rules of a few European directors, but then audiences have to accept the subtitles of foreign films (none in this Danish production). Once into the rhythm of realism, the movie sweeps into the authenticity of flawed human beings pursuing flawed love affairs. You may not accept the romantic fantasy of Venice at the film's conclusion, but then if you've been to Venice you know that fantasy can be right for the right lovers. See `Italian for Beginners' if you feel like a beginner in the language of love.

Poignant Slice-of-Life of a Danish Town of Misfits

Author: noralee from Queens, NY
20 December 2005

"Italian for Beginners (Italiensk for begyndere)" is yet another of the 2001 movies for grown-ups about adults dealing with death. It shows how death in the family leads to loneliness, though not as light-hearted as indicated by the preview trailer.

It is a poignant slice-of-life of a Danish town of misfits, in the earthy, gritty manner of "The Full Monty" or "Billy Elliott."

Proudly flashing its minimalist Dogme 95 certificate (hence the lack of illustrative soundtrack songs), it has a warm-hearted understanding of the spectrum of human foibles.

Here the woe-be-gone come together, improbably enough, at an Italian class in a local community center, with all that learning a romance language implies. At least that's what I could get out of it despite the older ladies behind me out for a matinée who decided that a sub-titled movie entitled them to talk loudly throughout, as well as kick my seat.

(originally written 2/24/2002)