IMDb > Italian for Beginners (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Italiensk for begyndere

Italian for Beginners More at IMDbPro »Italiensk for begyndere (original title)

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Extremely funny

Author: sTAn-69 from Germany
4 June 2002

I really enjoyed this movie, I watched it in an outdoor theater. I have never seen a dogma movie before, so I cannot compare it to the others. Thus the 9/10 might be a bit high compared to the previous dogma movies, but I don't care, it was great anyway.

It's like Mike Leigh Does Dogma

Author: Gustavo Glenmoraigne from Left Coast USA
12 May 2002

An ensemble gem. Reminds of Mike Leigh (of High Hopes and Life Is Sweet) in the writing but strictly Danish Dogma in the execution. Laugh-Out-Loud funny enough to show the Danish Dogmatist actually can have a sense of humor. The women are outstanding--much more fully realized characters than the men, who are pretty much stereotypes. But everyone turns in a superb performance. Anette Støvelbæk and Ann Eleonora Jørgensen are extraordinary and Carlo Barsotti, whose time is short, is a pleasure to watch.

Top marks.

Handheld camera - beware

Author: Martin Geddes from Kansas City, USA
10 May 2002

I'd like to be able to say how wonderful this movie was, with fully developed characters, insightful comments on the human condition, and a mesmerizing plot. Unfortunately, the unending gyrations of the handheld camera left me feeling so nauseous and motion sick 1/3 of the way through that I had to close my eyes for the rest. Well, my wife quite liked it. Which means you probably will too.

So if you're a fellow sufferer of Buena Vista Social Club Disorientation Syndrome, beware this film may cause symptoms to worsen.

A well crafted entertaining romance/tragicomedy

Author: doctorow from Raleigh, NC
24 April 2002

Again the Scandinavians come through with a movie of depth, intelligence, and subtle humor that is rarely found in Hollywood's wasteland. Great cast, nice plot, clever dialogue and heartwarming character development make this a movie not to miss.

Lovelorn Learning

Author: crypticcrytic from Oak Park, IL USA
23 April 2002

How do you turn half-dozen losers into lovers? There is only a one-letter difference between them after all. Some think that taking Italian language lessons might make a difference. This premise engages a collection of characters that might be familiar to you: socially challenged suburbanites seeking to fill a void but not sure what it is. And this romantic comedy, with touches of human tragedy, entertains as it challenges the audience to explore their own lives for that same effort.

Halfvinn (Lars Kaalund) is going to lose his job because he mistreats his sports bar customers as if they were his kids eating in his kitchen. Olympia (Annette Stovelbaek) stumbles around her bakery and her home to be mistreated by her customers and her dad. Jorgen (Peter Gantzler) can't stand up to his boss, co-workers or his impotency and Andreas (Anders Berthelsen) is dealing with the loss of his wife and the gain of a congregation over the unsubtle ravings of the former pastor. There's more but you should see this one and meet the rest. You might not expect a film with this title to be set in Denmark and the three Italian grandmothers behind us were certainly surprised to learn that most of the dialogue is Danish. The subtitling was rather crude but the script was entertaining and the tempo gave this film an upbeat feel.

Ever feel down about your life? Like you're a geek and really have no prospects? If not you won't relate to a mix of Danes who seek out human connection in a continuing ed class. If so, take consolation in these characters whose lives are joined through this connection.

Consider the Danish culture. Do you imagine a vibrant, expressive, outgoing style? I think of the Danish extravert who, when he talks to you, looks at your shoes. So somehow when we learn the language of a more vibrant culture, we will be drawn out by their national ethic. And why not?

If it works for them they strengthen their outgoing side, get out of their own heads and into the hearts of others. And that's, mostly, a good thing.

An unexpected treat

Author: David Graham (divvy@earthlink.net) from Los Angeles, CA
18 April 2002

Disappointed that the Cacoyannis production of "The Cherry Orchard" was not being shown as scheduled one evening, my friend and I were at odds at what to see. The two films I was interested in seeing, she had already seen. Neither of us had seen any reviews for this film, but my instincts to go for it were on the mark. Literate, romantic and tremendously amusing, this is a film with heart that can be recommended in spades to any filmgoer.

Who is Jorgen Mortenson?

Author: cinemachris from chicago il
9 April 2002

This is the first Dogme 95 film I've seen and it's fun to watch to see if the crew (because there is no creditted director) follows all the rules. Besides a little music at the end, I think this one passes. More importantly, it uses the covenants to help tell the story of a bunch of realistic characters very accurately. The themes of love, death, family bonds, impotency, and friendship are written and acted superbly.

One weird sidenote: as much as I liked this film, halfway through, I couldn't help seeing a resemblance to "Waiting for Guffman" and "Best in Show." Maybe it's just that I thought Fred Willard was playing Jorgen Mortenson.

a great film!

Author: an_na (an_na201@hotmail.com) from Barcelona, Spain
7 April 2002

It's a great movie I recommend to all of you. First, it could seem as hard as lots of the dogme films, but then it goes better and better.

I loved the plot, so simple but well worked, I loved the characters with its pros and cons, with its peculiarities; people who feel alone and find a place in an italian course, people who meet other people seeking friendship, love, etc. With a light touch of humour this film becomes a movie to spend a good time and when it ends, you want more, you want to know more about the lifes of these simple but charming people.

simply human

Author: guyon from Mainz, Germany
1 April 2002

A very nice movie with a very human touch. No hero, no looser, no winner (except the audience). Only draw back, I saw the German version and it's very badly dubbed.

the greatest light romantic comedy, has brains too

Author: abenko from Boston
20 March 2002

the greatest light romantic comedy, make sure you don't miss this feast. Unbelievably subtle/funny and just a truly great movie. Similar in talent to "The Dinner Game"

Don't watch it if you can't live without Jim Carrey, or loved "Collateral Damage".

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]