IMDb > A Time for Dancing (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A Time for Dancing More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

Dumb but worth a watch on a very slow Saturday night

Author: ctomvelu from usa
4 January 2004

SPOILERS!!! Aspiring ballet dancer gets cancer and dies, but not before she tries out and gets accepted at Julliard. Movie-of-the-week stuff, shown theatrically outside of the U.S. and straight-to-Showtime here. Laryssa Oleynick, of 3RD ROCK and 10 THINGS fame, is appealing as the stricken waif. Peter Coyote sleepwalks through his role as her father. Amy Madigan has a couple of standout moments as the mom of cancer girl's best friend. Lynn Whitfield,a great actress rarely seen these days, is suitably stoic as Oleynick's dance instructor. Looks like a Canadian quickie, especially when the generic, flat-voiced actress playing cancer girl's mom is on-screen. (By the way, my references to Oleynick as "cancer girl" are not meant to demean anyone suffering from this horrible disease but to suggest a degree of sarcasm toward this hoary plot.) You may safely skip this one. Rent JEEPERS CREEPERS II instead. Lots more kids dieing in that one! (Again, sarcasm intended.)

My oh my did this movie suck

Author: P3charmed from az
4 May 2008

I guess this is a prime document of when nu pop-jazz began.

I don't think I've ever seen so many jazz sneakers and hair whipping.

This one is definitely not for the dancers that weren't trained in a Studio. If you studied contemporary or alternative/athletic modern, its gonna be a painful experience.

Not to say the dancers aren't talented and the the performances (given the script..)aren't okay. This just isn't the best way to showcase that talent. I'm sure it would favor better among the So You Think You Can Dance generation of dancers.

If you want a good dancing movie with drama, go for The Turning Point. If you want a modern film that isn't super cheesy. A modern dance film that doesn't have its dancers whipping their hair around wearing unitards and masks. A modern dance film that doesn't use a very early form of Lyrical dance as a segway to the next scene....I don't know what to tell ya...One Last Dance with Patrick Swayze?

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]