IMDb > "The Tick" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Tick"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Tick" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

networks are a harsh mistress

Author: march9hare from sparks nv
5 November 2004

Unquestionably one of the funniest and most original comedies to come down the pike in years, this show was nevertheless canceled by Fox after airing only a relative handful of episodes. Why? According to the producers, Fox execs were caught up in the minutiae of the character: Who is The Tick really? Where did he get his superpowers? One of the most important answers that eluded Fox was that THE VIEWERS DON'T CARE!! The show is funny! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Beyond clever writing, the characterizations were spot on. The choice of Patrick Warburton as The Tick was little short of inspired. In fact, all of the characters were perfectly cast even though, when approached to do the character of Batmanuel, Nestor Carbonell initially turned it down, claiming that he was tired of doing Hispanic parts. The producers said nonsense; you'll do it, and you'll be brilliant. They were right. Time was when a network announced it's fall lineup, you could pretty much count on any given show hanging around for at least a season (although, to be fair, "Batman" was a mid-season replacement on ABC), but not any more. With "The Tick", Fox had a winner and didn't see it, which is our loss. Happily, "The Tick" is available in it's, er, "entirety", on DVD. We heartily recommend this one.

Utterly hilarious...why can't more TV shows be this good?

Author: tywebb from United States
2 December 2003

Every aspect of this show shines - The writing, casting, directing and comic timing raise this series to a level of quality that few other TV shows have been able to achieve in recent years. Especially Patrick Warburton as the Tick is perfectly cast.

Unfortunately, it only ran for one season - A reflection of the dismal state of TV programming these days. Fortunately, all episodes have been released on a 2-DVD set!

Do not let this gem pass you by...

Viva Batmanuel!

Author: grendelkhan from Xanadu
3 October 2003

I'm still partial to the cartoon, but this was a scream! Yes, American Maid and Die Fledermaus had to be changed to Captain Liberty and Batmanuel, but dammit if this show wasn't just as screwy. So, of course, Fox cancels it and gives us high quality programming like Joe Millionaire. Somebody take Rupert Murdoch out to the woodshed and bring along the Fox executives, please!

The cast was great and were obviously having fun. Although I prefer Townsend Coleman's more excitable Tick, Patrick Warburton conveyed that loopy perspective that has always been the hallmark of the Tick. David Burke gives Arthur that repressed, but eager quality he had in the comics. Liz Vassey is sexy and funny as Captain Liberty, but I really would have loved to see her in that American Maid costume. But, it is Nestor Carbonell who steals the series. His look, attitude and delivery are all classic.

If ever a show deserved time to find its audience, this was the one. Monty Python ad Fawlty Towers weren't immediate hits and the Tick carried those sensibilities. Given an entire season, I think this would have caught on. Lord knows, it was better than Smallville or that aborted Birds of Prey show. The Tick has been great in every medium he has invaded, but he never quite gets a fair shot at glory. The only thing missing from this show was the cast of evildoers that the cartoon had. Oh well, at least this version is available on dvd; wish the cartoon was. Anyway, SPOON!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonderful Show

Author: Cheddar from Pittsburgh, PA
17 January 2002

It's been announced recently that this show is being canceled and I couldn't be more disappointed. Wonderfully-clever, it's probably just too smart for network TV. But then again, many shows that are canceled seem to be -- a darn shame when good TV is so good that it doesn't stand a chance of succeeding.

Evil Fox network! You canned.....the Tick!

Author: Rob_Taylor
15 September 2005

Fox is such a lame-ass network these days. Always canning shows because they aren't instant hits but never thinking that they should give them a decent time slot to begin with.

The Tick is a classic piece of comedy that really should have been given at least two seasons to develop. Instead we got, what, 9 episodes or something. Just as you were beginning to really like the characters the series is over.

Most of the humour comes from The Tick's complete lack of understanding of anything resembling normal human values or maturity. All he knows is that he must fight evil (and utter priceless lines of dialogue in the process).

Batmanuel (originally Deflator Mouse in the cartoon) started off a little weakly, but quickly grew to match the Tick in humour value.

It's a crime worthy of the Tick himself sorting out that this show did not last longer. Another season and we could have got a lot of the superheroes from the cartoons involved, and perhaps some really awful cheese-laden SFX to add to the mix. But it was not to be.

Watch what there is and mourn the missed oppportunity.

Faithless Fox and the Puddy curse

Author: DarthBill from United States
12 March 2004

True, they should've played it more like the 60s Batman series with lots of goofy villains in every episode as opposed to superheroes-in-sitcom-situations, but this was show pretty darn funny. Hulking supporting player Patrick Warburton was an ideal Tick. Yeah as some others pointed he wasn't quite as excitable as the cartoon version (in fact, his Tick was like a mix of Tick and Puddy) but he still brought a lot of hearty energy to the part and managed to be endearingly goofy just like the Tick should be. David Burke was a good foil as Arthur, Liz Vassey was great eye candy and of course, Nestor Carbonell was hilarious as Batmanuel.

Another problem I think is that Fox just didn't have enough faith in this show so they didn't put a lot of effort into advertising it, which is why we're still stuck with a lot of bad new episodes of "The Simpsons" instead of getting new episodes of "The Tick". And maybe Patrick Warburton himself is just too closely identified with his Puddy character from "Seinfeld". It's a shame, really.

Long Live the Tick.

In closing, the pilot with the Soviet Robot, the second episode with the superhero funeral and the 8th episode where Tick got frustrated with the legal system were all great. Truly I shall miss this show.

great show

Author: mark wilson from Aust
1 August 2004

This was a great series cancelled before its time.

It did start a little slow but by the fourth episode it was picking up. I had only seen a couple of episodes of the cartoon so I'm not able to compare the two. But as a stand alone series this was very funny and if you are starting to get sick of the flood of superhero movies coming out at the moment watch this for a laugh it will allow you to look at superheros in a new light.

After seeing it here in oz on cable I just had to buy the DVD although it really has no extras for what was not a cheap DVD.

But all the same I would say it was worth its money for what is a very funny series.

Now THAT'S entertainment!

Author: imran-12 from Bombay, India
11 November 2001

I started out watching the pilot of this show with quite a bit of apprehension, but about 12 minutes in, when they introduced Batmanuel, I was hooked. His introduction alone was enough to make me a fan, but they didn't stop there. 'The Tick' is surprisingly well written, and manages to be truly funny without being stupid. Watch this show and give it half a chance. You won't be disappointed.

Prepare to face... "The Tick"!

Author: lauraeileen894 from United States
22 June 2007

I don't think any other actor than the towering, deadpan Patrick Warburton could pull of the role of the blue-clad buffoon The Tick. The Tick may be dim-witted, prone to making long-winded, nonsensical soliloquies and may be the most unintentionally destructive hero since Sledge Hammer, but he also has a heart of gold and is willing to stand up to any challenge. Whether it's stopping petty crooks or throttling an uncooperative coffee machine, the Tick is just the hero The City needs... whether they like it or not! Joining the Tick in his quest for justice are loyal but nebbish moth man Arthur (David Burke), tough cookie Captain Liberty (Liz Vassey), and blasé ladies' man Bat Manuel.

Like many TV shows, the live action version of "The Tick" suffered an early death on the Fox network, but it has thankfully become a cult classic. I actually found this one to be funnier than the animated series. Not that I'm diminishing the legacy of the great cartoon, but to see flesh-and-blood adult actors dressed in these ridiculous costumes, uttering ludicrous lines ("Abso-doodle!") and fighting comical villains (Apocolypse Cow, Destroyo), makes "The Tick" so literal and so rewardingly hilarious.

Great show

Author: bellini97 from New Jersey
7 December 2001

I'm really enjoying this show. Seeing how it is live-action though, it can't go all out in the bizarre the way the animated series easily could. So they seem to be concentrating on more down-to-earth storylines, if that's possible in a show like this, making it a kind of "Seinfeld" with superheros. So far it has been keeping me laughing with its stories of hero-sidekick relations and more adult humor. Patrick Warburton is excellent in the title role. He's bound to shout out "SPOON!" sooner or later, so don't worry about that. The show is very funny and clever, and I'm really hoping it doesn't get abused like the cartoon did, or worse, get axed too early.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]