IMDb > The Matrix Revolutions (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Matrix Revolutions

The Matrix Revolutions More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 213: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Typical for sci-fi/action

Author: crazy4fury11 from Michigan, USA
10 November 2003

This film wasn't bad as an action film, but there is very little symbolism that I enjoyed in the first two films. In fact, it answered almost no questions. It's a good action film, but I personally did not care for it that much.

Simply there were things I liked and things I didn't like- arguably 'Revolutions' is the least in the Matrix films

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States

SPOILER WARNING

Andy and Larry Wachowski still get credit from me for their last installment in their Matrix movies - Revolutions (this following the well-intentioned if imperfect Reloaded and excellent first one) - in terms of storytelling. The one thing that kept me awake through much of this film was that I knew they were taking me to somewhere where I wasn't entirely certain. However, that was the only thing that made this installment worthwhile for my money.

There are two other elements that I wish to address: the visual effects and action sequences, while technically complex and detailed, didn't HOLD me on to my seat, so to speak, like in the last two films. The first Matrix was a breakthrough in its own visual style and technique, and Reloaded admirably tried to push it a little further. However I sensed in Revolutions that there was no where remarkable to go in the area. For example, the climax scenes- the battle for Zion and Neo's "inevitable" fight with Smith- didn't have anything that had me, well, compelled. Much like the characters, the scenes with the CGI effects and digital animation have become less involving as a film and more involving if it was a video game. It's not to undermine the painstaking work it must've been must've been on films like the original Star Wars trilogy where practically everything had to be built from scratch instead of on a hard-drive), but the whole feeling behind it seemed strained.

Now, I understand that the first two installments weren't exactly flowing with eloquent dialog and in-depth characters, but at least in those the writer/directors and actors made an effort to keep it slightly above the satisfactory level for the genre. In Revolutions, the words spoken and acting felt wooden, stale, and perhaps far over-used. For example, there is a character that is introduced into the film midway through who is a sixteen year-old wanting to fight against the machines despite his age being too young. Unless you've never seen a sci-fi action film, or are too dense to know where this character fits in a film like this, it's a given to the audience how important this "minor" character will be in that battle for Zion. And, indeed there were a couple of scenes towards the end where I felt like the filmmakers were treating me like a complete idiot. That the acting is reminiscent of a bad series or movie-of-the-week on the sci-fi channel doesn't help things (even Smith is a little un-Smith like at times). True, fans of these movies and of the genre don't go to these movies for great and original conversing and acting ability, but, come on...

All that being said, when I left Revolutions, I didn't feel as if I had left seeing a failure. There were certain things; scenes that I saw and felt that were OK. As mentioned earlier, the story that unfolded in this one made more sense this time around that in the Reloaded, where some points in the story were kept elusive. Even the character of Bane (Ian Bliss), who is apart of the cliché wheel, was a nice touch to the proceedings. Maybe The Matrix Revolutions is, from my perspective, just another one of the final installments in trilogy history that remain the drop-off from the last two (The Godfather trilogy and the Living-Dead trilogy come to mind). In all, this trilogy is a noteworthy one in film history, certainly in its genre, and I was glad I saw it. Yet, it was a disappointment in more ways than it should've been. Grade: C

The ending was a major disappointment

Author: Mrcheeks from Ohio
10 November 2003

The Matrix Revolutions is said to be the final installment of the Matrix movies and is said to close out the series. As entertaining as it was it leaves the viewer with unanswered question as the first two did but in a whole different sense. The film certainly puts to rest the rumors that Zion city was part of the matrix. It also has a climactic ending for the future of the city and the battle between Neo and Agent Smith BUT WHAT BECOMES OF NEO??? What becomes of the Matrix world now that the people it contains will have the option to be free...what is to become of those people?

All in all it was a good movie but it leaves too many questions with infinite answers we shouldn't be stuck pondering. Quite simply the answers are boring to imagine with the gaping wound of an ending we are left to close. I myself would bet even if it's not for 5 years there just may be ONE final installment. This films plot was simple, the storyline simple and the ending was also very very simple. There was less explanation of things and the films primary action was the battle with the robots. Not a lot of hyped up Kung-Fu fights in this flick. Anyone satisfied by this movie as the final installment has low standards and wasn't expecting or asking for much at all for their dollar. That's quite sad really. Synapsis: dull storyline, great action and the thinnest plot of all three movies. I very much enjoyed it but was left feeling unsettled by the ending and yes some what disappointed.

Just a wrapup, no surprises

Author: Vanyel from Portland, OR
7 November 2003

Matrix Revolutions was better than Reloaded, but still disappointing: they just wrapped up the story, but there were no surprises. What's worse is that one of the expected surprises didn't materialize, leaving a key question unanswered. Still, it did actually advance the story, with some suspense and definitely great special effects, so I gave it a 7, just barely. With a better story, it could easily have been an 8 or 9 though...

Dude! The oracle must have lost weight or something!!

Author: dxmlounge from Sacramento California
6 November 2003

*WARNING POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

When I first began watching this film the first thing I noticed was that the oracle had either gone on a diet or was a completely different actress. I guess the lady who was in the first 2 films died in late 2001, and never got a chance to appear in Revolutions. When I was watching I was thinking that maybe they changed her for some deep reason, that I'd eventually find out about later. She even asks Neo at one point if she looks different to him.

Unfortunately I soon found out this wasn't going to happen, for 2 reasons, one of which I didn't know yet, being that the actress was dead, and the other being that this film isn't deep at all! It really wants to be and it trys so hard, but really just ends up being kinda cheesy. I kept waiting for something to happen. All I really got were some cool action scenes and some state of the art CGI. There seems to be quite a few one liners, and allot of the film is just recycled from the previous 2 films.

Really the movie just feels like an extension of Reloaded. It never really begins it just kind of continues. I did enjoy some the apocaliptic stuff. It kinda reminded me of that Anime Neon Genesis Evangelion, but overall it's kind of a let down. I only hope if they do make another one that they get a little bit more inventive, and not so cut and dry.

Good... thou not better than those before

Author: Jose Guilherme from Brazil
6 November 2003

I liked the movie. Its fun and like another reviewer put it: Entertaining. The philosophy was left a bit aside... pity. The romance is a bit slapstick and silly sometimes. The directing was weak too.

The film was lacking in respect to the other versions... but the action compensated IMHO. I like the series and I am prone to forgiving their less than good directing. Watch the first one more times to compensate and be happy... otherwise you won't provide enough battery power.

Left with a sinking feeling

Author: volwrath
5 November 2003

We all know the first Matrix was spectacular. The second was ok, since the final movie was going to be earth shattering. Unfortunately, Revolutions had no great twist, and nothing happened that was unexpected. A friend of mine and I have a bet, which trilogy would be better: Matrix or Lord of the Rings. He was/is a diehard Matrix fan. He conceded to me as soon as we walked of the theater. Dont worry WB, he said he was still going to buy the DVD.

entertaining, fun and gripping

Author: daisuke69 from California
5 November 2003

This film is definately worth seeing, just for the rollercoaster ride it gives you. granted that the end is somewhat... strange... I liked it because it's not some happily ever after disney junk. it's not as good as the first matrix, but then I doubt it was ever intended to be that way, finally one installment that takes place mostly in the real world!

After seeing reloaded I remember coming on here and hearing all the same comments about "what were they thinking???". That movie had long unending fights and went on interminably to finally add some spice with the whole architect thing. All you sceptics thought it sucked until most of you started blabbing your mouths off about "matrix within the matrix"... you made up that stuff yourselves and I don't know who started it, but you all bit and started fighting that line when it was clear that that wasn't so from the first time I saw the movie.

I was gripped during the entire movie (save the end) and came out with a tense neck from the action. My girlfriend (who doesn't like action and war movies) liked this installment, and she hasn't seen the 1st one all the way thru and hasn't seen reloaded either. I'd dare say that this movie might have gotten much MUCH better critique than it's getting here if it had been a movie unto it's own, or if all 3 had been in the same tone, maybe like The Lord of the Rings although it comes off more like star wars. On it's own it's a good movie with amazing and 100% believeable SFX, in the context of the other 2, it's a departure and that I believe made all the matrix fans mad, but the wachowskis hit the nail on the head with a fitting if somewhat annoying ending.

don't pay attention to the naysayers, this movie is worth watching and spending the 8 bucks to see it in a theater. I think that time will give it the credit it deserves in the matrix universe 7/10

The Matrix Trilogy - Andy and Larry's Not So Excellent Adventure

Author: teddeman from Baltimore, MD

The Matrix Trilogy - Andy and Larry's Not So Excellent Adventure

Initially I left the Maryland premiere of Matrix Revolutions felling happy. After all I was one of the first viewers to find out where the Matrix Reloaded's lame cliffhanger was going. I saw the film in one of the best theaters on the east coast, The Senator. I saw an action sequence that equaled the motorcycle chase in the previous film. Heck there were even numerous players from the Baltimore Ravens in the theater with me. Everything was great until the film's bitter aftertaste hit my pallet.

A friend asked me, `When you review a film do you hold it up to previous films for comparison?' Of course I do. It is extremely rare for a film to redefine or reinvent a genre. The first Matrix did. Pulling off a successful movie trilogy is a tricky endeavor. Looking to the past one finds a great deal of good and bad movie trilogies. Some are destined to be great but many, like the Matrix franchise, aren't so fortunate.

Star Wars episodes 4-6 are timeless because limitations in film technology forced the actors and screenplay to carry the film. There is genuine chemistry between characters that allows you to care about what happens to them. There is no over-dependence on CGI and bloated action sequences to make up for a weak story.

That is not to say that CGI is a bad thing. The Lord of the Rings trilogy evolved from a time tested set of successful novels. The use of CGI in the series adds to the enjoyment of an already proven story. The success of the trilogy is again based on strong screenwriting and powerful acting. This is not the case in the Matrix trilogy.

Other trilogies start off strong and continue to amaze only to implode during their final installments. The Alien, Lethal Weapon, and Die Hard films are prime examples of two hit wonders. These series stormed onto the scene with unique approaches to old formulas. The films then investigate dynamics left unexplored in the first films and should have stopped there.

Instead the final installments of these series became laughable parodies of their predecessors. (Some would say the Terminator films fall into this category; refer to my T3 review to see why they don't). Sadly, these are not examples of the Matrix trilogy either.

Some series are hit or miss as they trudge along. Look to Indiana Jones, Axel Foley, Rocky and Rambo for proof. These films had a formula that was replayed multiple times with varying degrees of success. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. Often the socio-political climate that made one film work had changed causing subsequent films to fail. What were they thinking when they made Temple of Doom anyway?

So what is the Matrix's place in the trilogy landscape? There is yet another trilogy class that unfortunately dominates the movie industry. Some films explode on the scene and wrap their story up in a nice neat little package. Unmercifully they return to cash in on their predecessor's success.

The first series that comes to mind is the Back to the Future franchise. The first movie did what it needed to and did it well. Then mimicking Sherman and Peabody in their time machine, Marty and the Doc return for more disastrous adventures. Unlike the Peabody cartoons, which contained an interesting history lesson, 2nd and 3rd films were a horrible waste of film stock. Coincidentally those 2nd and 3rd installments were also filmed concurrently. My question to the Wachowski brothers is, `Hello, McFlys, did you see what followed Jaws?' Finally we have found a category for the Matrix trilogy!

The first film was so new and different that viewers were able to see past the mediocre acting. A smaller budget led to a conservative use of CGI and a heavier reliance on the story of, and the character's interaction with, the matrix. It was a great concept on the same level as the `so if our universe is an atom on somebody's finger, there could be a tiny universe on my finger,' Pinto recites in Animal House.

The second and third films still have the same weak actors, but now also have weak plots to contend with. Take away the motorcycle chase sequence from Reloaded and what are you really left with? Take away the defending Zion sequence from Revolutions and what do you get? You get a mediocre action film that..

*** Spoilers in the following paragraph ***

.. pauses just long enough for people to deliver trite dialog usually prior to dying. Why didn't the sentinels stomp all over 'Kid' while he was listening to Mifune drone on and on? How did all those sentinels miss killing Link's girlfriend? What exactly is the machines motivation for killing the humans? Why did Neo talking to the machine god remind me so much of the final stage of the Arkaniod arcade game? Did we really need to see Trinity experience the sun? Why did all those Smiths just stand around and watch?

*** End Spoilers ***

So many of the Matrix Revolutions scenes made me sicker to my stomach then the `There it is..Jurassic Park!' and the `Grandpa! Grandpa!' scenes in the 'epic' Jurassic Cheese Park. The Wachowski brothers had a tough act to follow. If they had brought in other writers they might have developed a better direction to take the Matrix franchise. They didn't. Their trilogy now sits along side the likes of Smokey and the Bandit, Jaws and Highlander leaving viewers wondering why didn't they leave well enough alone.

The Matrix is and will continue to hold a well-deserved place in the imdb.com top 50. I doubt we will see its followers there or anywhere near the top 250. Both Reloaded and Revolutions belong in the bottom 100, rotting away with the plethora of other failed sequels that rule that category.

** (out of 5) The defending Zion sequence saved this from * (out of 5).

Straight to video if this wasn't a Matrix film

Author: Steven Logan (tbl) from Glasgow, UK
5 November 2003

As the summary says, I don't believe this film would stand on it's own if it were not lucky enough to have the Matrix in it's title. Most of this boils down to that I don't believe the Matrix was intended to be anything more than a single movie. The first movie was a trend setter, it inspired an entire new filming technique as is a classic in it's genre. I actually thought Reloaded was clever, at least it provoked thought and discussion. I can't think what kind of discussion Revolutions will provoke apart from discussions of disappointment. It is poorly scripted, lamely acted, and generally substandard. I am not even annoyed that 'my questions are not answered', it is just poor in comparison to the others.