The Matrix Revolutions (2003) Poster

2,113 Reviews
An amazing third entry to end the Matrix Trilogy!
ivo-cobra815 November 2015
The Matrix Revolutions (2003) is very underrated trilogy of the mythology to understand. I know for a lot of people is not that good and it is terrible movie to watch. The first time I watch it, I couldn't finish it because I did not understand it and I felt bored with the movie. The second time I kept watching I just enjoyed the movie and I wanted to know more, what will happen next. I think the movie end perfectly the trilogy, tough it did lack on a story and on the action, there very barely in it, that it was in the original and the second movie. It is one of my personal favorite Keanu Reeves movies amd I love this movie to death I don't care what anyone says.

The movie it self's focus more on the humans and the battles against the machines on the planet Zion, more than they are in the phone line of Matrix. I think this was a brilliant end to a brilliant trilogy. If you didn't understand what the matrix was by the end of the film, then you're never going to get it!

Many viewers preferred Revolutions to Reloaded, thinking it was a simpler, more straight-ahead action movie. Though it may have appeared that way, nothing could be further from the truth. Revolutions was a mind-blowing layered ending that honored and respected the plot threads and themes introduced in the first two movies. The character arcs were satisfying and true to the characters introduced in The Matrix. The creators continued to challenge our understanding of the Matrix and its purpose, avoiding the temptation to serve us a bunch of "their" answers on a platter. That, to us, would have been a sellout of the vision they've been constructing, and wouldn't have been fair to us. Nor would it have been true to the spirit of the previous movies - they've never told us what things meant, they've only shown us the door.

Everything that has a beginning has an end. In this explosive final chapter of the Matrix trilogy, Neo, Morpheus and Trinity battle to defend Zion, the last real-world city, against the onslaught of the machines that have enslaved the human race. And, now as Neo learns more about his heroic powers--including the ability to see the codes of things and the people, he faces the consequences of the choice made in The Matrix Reloaded. For Neo, that means going where no human has dared - into the heart of Machine City and into a cataclysmic showdown with the exponentially more powerful renegade program Smith. The revolution is now: The Matrix Revolutions.

I wish they made more films about the Matrix. The fighting, story and the conspiracy theories that emerged from these movies created a new world for millions of people out there. Some of the conspiracy theories even created a new "religion", the CGI was at the time freaking impressive, the fighting in slow-mo were even more epic and the story itself captured a lot of hearts. Just saying to all who think this movie (and/or the first two) sucked balls,- you are a minority. Movie is great, second one being the best in the trilogy. It is my second favorite film in the trilogy because it ends the story and answers what happened with Neo (Keanu Reeves), he saved Whole planet and defeat Smith (Hugo Weaving) on the end of the movie. This movie may not be the best in storyline, but hell it knows how to make action! That end fight and emotional ending leaving behind a plot for sequel ...Second really expanded the meaning of matrix and the whole idea so I don't understand the hate.

There is a lot of memorable moments the Smith vs Neo climax rain scene is one of my favorite movies scenes of all time. Anyway I love this movie it is not good as the greatest or the best movie or that good, but it is still a worthy sequel to watch and a good end to the trilogy. It is one of my personal Keanue Reeves favorite movies and I love this movie to death. I am giving this 9/10 and only because one of the characters dies in this movie not telling which one.
32 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the matrix trilogy explained --hoenestly
afaq88829 May 2008
Let me first say i promise u will love the trilogy if u read this

Here we go with the basics.

Zion is real! The Matrix is not.duh

The Matrix was designed to provide a mental stimulus for the human bodies connected to the machines as a source of power. This is the sixth version of the Matrix. There have been multiple versions of the Matrix because of a flaw in the program (kinda of like Windows). That flaw is giving individuals the ability to choose.

The first Matrix was designed as a perfect Utopia (see pt. I - Smith explains it to Morpheus; pt. II - The Architect explains it again) but humans did not accept it as real so they just kept waking up. It was redesigned to reflect our civilisation at it's last stage before it was taken over by the machines (the year 1999).

The Architect's problem with this new design (the anomaly)of the Matrix is that it require individuals to think freely, i.e. choice. It was the Oracle that suggested he redesign the Matrix in this way. But since humans have choices, so must the programs sent to watch over them, i.e. The Agents, thus bringing us the problem that is Mr. Smith. In Reloaded, The Architect continues to speak of the anomaly he is unable to get rid of, which is why at some point, he feels the only solution is to destroy the Matrix and those who are aware of it (the people of Zion) and start from scratch again.

The Oracle says it clearly in Revolutions. Mr. Smith is the result of the anomaly trying to balance itself. Mr. Smith began to think freely (see part I where he is freaking out while interrogating Morpheous) and the result was a negative one. Realize this, he is a similar program to the One so he is far more dangerous than a normal individual who makes bad decisions. Mr. Smith's virus like behaviour happened in EVERY VERSION OF THE MATRIX. The result would always lead to the same thing -- a system crash if they didn't quickly reboot the system. The same knee jerk reaction you have when you realise someone has sent you a virus.

the one program was created to solve this problem. But each version of the One ultimately failed. Neo is different, in Reloaded he choose the door that led to Trinity, not the door that RESETS the program. Note: The Architect even noticed that Neo's experience in the Matrix was different than all the rest, realising he was the first of them to fall in love.

Onto Revolutions: Neo's choice has changed everything. The system is still threatened by Smith's behaviour, so the Oracle makes a new choice; one she has never done before because no version of the One has ever chosen the difficult path as opposed to easy one of just resetting the system. She allows herself to become merged with Smith in the HOPE that she'll be able to help Neo when the time is right.

Neo makes another unique choice. He goes to the machines and asks for PEACE as opposed to simply destroying the system by going through the opposite door as all other versions of the One did. It was a simple as that to save Zion. Machines don't need very long to process that this may be a better idea than just constantly resetting the system.

At the end, Smith says to Neo the movies tag line - "Everything that has a beginning has an end," as the Oracle is speaking to Neo through Smith. Neo realises it all along, the only way to end this is to sacrifice himself. The Oracle noted that Neo and the Source (the computer mainframe, the Architect they're all one and the same so don't get confused) are connected which is why he can control machines outside the Matrix. He uses this connection to his advantage. He becomes a Mr. Smith and since all the Smith's are connected, the Source now has a lock on Smith and simply deletes him. Pretty simple huh? For those that like to dig deeper, than note the biblical references throughout the series. Heck, the French Man (Merovigchian) is the Devil, just read the elevator button Morpheous presses when he goes to see him for the second time. The Architect represents God - i.e. the creator of the world and its destroyer whenever things don't go as he wants. He even has you to chose a select group of people to restart Zion again sort of like Noah's Ark. Neo is Jesus, the one who realises that peace and love is the answer, not war. And the Oracle represents the Holy Spirit - the consciousness that resides in all of us. It's a deep trilogy if you PAY ATTENTION.
89 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It makes me mad...
MinorityReporter9 January 2006
...that this film is not getting the credit it deserves. It is in my opinion one of the most underrated films of all time along with The Matrix Reloaded. Revolutions is undoubtedly different from the previous films both in general and in terms of tone but why is that necessarily a bad thing? I won't be so arrogant as to say that the people who don't like this film are unintelligent. Whether or not people like a film or not is a subjective matter but I can't help feeling that the people who dislike (or even hate) this film are missing something because Revolutions is an intelligent, entertaining, beautiful, sad and moving picture.

The acting of all three films have been a mixed bag and although I usually join in the bashing of Keanu Reeves I find him strangely fitting for the part of Neo. His voice is not the perfect voice due to its monotonous tone but his body language is very good and sometimes even great and that is the case in Revolutions as well. Carrie-Anne Moss plays her character like she did in film two and that is neither particularly good or bad but a decent performance. Laurence Fishbourne's character has been reduced somewhat for the final part of the series but I found that the lines he did have were delivered with conviction and experience. As most people know Gloria Foster died before finishing her scenes for Revolutions and thus a different actress was cast to take over. The choice fell on Mary Alice and while she is no where near as good as Foster she is decent enough. Ian Bliss gets a chance to show his worth in the third film and personally I found his scenes to be among the most interesting of the film and his uncanny imitation of Weaving was spot on. Most of the secondary cast from Reloaded returns in their parts in Revolutions and they all do decent jobs with their characters. Harry J. Lennix (Lock) improved his character tremendously in spite of limited screen time. Hugo Weaving still provides the best acting in the film and steals every one of his regrettably limited number of scenes. He is probably my all time favorite screen bad guy. He manages to show the change in his character remarkably well considering how limited his screen time is. Agent Smith exhibits an increasing amount of human traits including anger, hatred, jealousy and even a sly sense of humor. This change happens to mirror Neo's growing understanding of the machines. Neo and Smith are linked in that way as well.

The effects are of course extraordinary which was to be expected after the stellar effects in the second film. Although there weren't as many scenes inside The Matrix this time around I still found the effects of the "real" world to be awe inspiring at the least and the battle for Zion was an incredible display of special effects. Of course the directors never lost sight of the people involved in the battle making it more tense had it only been effects. The climactic battle between Neo and Smith is quite simply stunning. It takes roughly 15 minutes and I for one hardly breathed in those 15 minutes. All three Matrix films have been inspired by Japanese animé comics and that is very visible in the final battle as one can't help but think of Dragonball for instance. The action in that particular scene is frighteningly well done and I got the chills when I watched it in the cinema. Very well done.

The story is darker in this film than in either of the previous films but that is to be expected as the first film was about birth and the second about life. Obviously that means that the third is about the inevitable end that must come to us all: Death. This does that the tone of the film becomes much darker and I felt that was good. This did that the film distanced itself from the previous films in the series and rather than become another rerun the film becomes its own entirely and that is both its weakness and its strength. I think it is its strength as it increases the originality of the film but apparently a lot of people didn't like the interpretation that the third film represents as is clear from the bashing the film has gotten from audiences and critics alike. The film does still have great symbolic value and you can interpret the film in a great number of ways like the previous films. For me this improves the film(s) greatly as you can watch it again and again and still find new things that will renew your interest.

Sadly I cannot make you love this film as much as I do because that would defeat the purpose of the film which is to make people think for themselves. My conclusion about Revolutions is that you will either love or you will hate it but in my opinion Revolutions is almost as good as the first one and one of the best films I have ever seen.

9/10 - On my top 10 of best films.
465 out of 679 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Overall worthwhile, but hard not to feel disappointed
bjg2132 April 2004
The first Matrix movie is one of the more ground breaking movies in the last decade as evidence by a pretty massive influence on pop culture. I could immerse myself in this review of just how great I think the first movie is, but I digress. The second was received with so much hype that it couldn't possibly live up to in all fairness, but I thought the second movie was wildly entertaining and a bit like the first one in the fact that it made you think quite a bit after the movie was over (The first one "blows your mind" an over-used phrase when it comes to reviewing movies, but it certainly applies in this case). However, I thought the second had too much action, I believe Keanu has close to 5 fight scenes. Morpheus has one, Trinity has 2 I think, all this fighting I think cuts out of the plot which is why the the Matrix is cool to begin with. The action is fun and out of this world at times, but without a good enough plot, a viewer can feel disconnected from the characters in the action. The plot of the second movie I did enjoy, I just thought more time should have gone into it. I thought there were many twists and turns and it ends with a decent "cliffhanger."

My own problem was that unlike most of the critics I went into the third movie with a lot of expectations, but I knew seeing the first Matrix and the previous Wachowski Brothers movie (Bound from 1996) that this trilogy was going to end a bit differently than a conventional sci-fi film...and it did, but more so in a way that I think a real fan of "The Matrix" is still left wanting more, or let me re-phrase, a little more attention to detail. Revolutions does have bright spots, as much as I love a rock-em, sock-em WELL DONE Kung-Fu in any movie, thankfully that part of the Matrix was cut back. How many times do I need to see Keanu just entirely beat the tar out of some random machine that never really dies? I like the fact that Jada-Pinkett Smith was at least put to some more use(although it could have been more) in this last film, she adds spark in basically every scene she's in. The final Neo-Smith fight is awesome. I think the rain alone creates a very cool atmosphere, but a death fight in the rain is certainly something that isn't new to an audience viewing an action movie. It's still the same basic plot, but I think too much of the plot is revolved around the destruction of Zion. I think the battle sequence is something around 25 minutes? That's way too long for a computer generated battle...at least if your movie is barely over 2 hours. For a 4 hour epic like the 3rd Lord of the Rings for example it works because they've taken so long to develop the characters that the action is more thrilling because you feel so attached. The supporting characters are barely developed that are fighting in that sequence, The Kid has a back story in the Ani-matrix, but Capt. Mifune or the vast array of other characters that get blown to bits, I have no clue who they are, so what does all that destruction mean to the viewer? It's a huge display of visual effects that in the end, kind of have a weakened purpose.

With the Matrix I feel more so attached to the ideas presented rather than specific characters. As much as you gotta dig Mr. Whoa(Keanu) and the ever present bad-ass himself Mr. Fishburne(great in Mystic River by the way), and the under-rated Carrie-Anne Moss, I just don't feel as attached to them as I would to say, well Sam-wise(Sean Astin) from Lord of the Rings. I'm not trying to compare, I'm just offering an example. Also, because it is a little over 2 hours there's no time to get into some of the other cool supporting characters. Monica Belluci has one stinking line, I mean she's a very talented actress (See the Passion or foreign flick Malena), but hell at least give her a few more to see her in that dress, WOW! Lastly, the overall flow just seems like the Wachowski's didn't know exactly how to end it, not enough time is really given to any of the main or supporting characters, I seem to keep harping on this, but if you are going to end a trilogy you don't have to come to end-all-be-all on everything, but it would be nice to go into more detail than they do. A scene between Seraph and Neo in the teahouse is so light and generally cool for example, but nothing like this really appears in the third. Like what is this underlying connection between the Frenchman and Seraph for example? What is that about?

All in all, the Matrix was a fun ride, interesting early philosophy (the first movie), unbelievable special effects (all three just incredible), and great Kung-Fu, but it just could have ended differently with more depth. So I tried to write this (while being sick at school), but as un-biased as I could for someone who isn't a fan of the trilogy. Overall rating: 6.5/7.0 out of 10 for the Matrix Revolutions, course if you're a fan, you'll probably dig this way more than that.

P.S. - I seriously hope the Wachowski's don't pull a George Lucas and plan on making a bigillion more of these movies because while I thoroughly enjoyed the Matrix Trilogy, I'm Matrixed Out. No need for Matrix Rebooted, or Regenerated, or Regurgitated, you get the picture.
83 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Amazing movie in my opinion - hated and not understood by many
seraphin-530 September 2008
Matrix Revolutions is deliberately constructed as a puzzle in which you have to work out the complete picture for yourself. It contains some fundamental questions of philosophy, a war story of a hopeless struggle against the machines who besiege Zion and it comes to a conclusion which is not understood by many viewers. The philosophical questions are answered (e.g. some choices lead to a string of consequences which may often appear as predestination), the war scenes in Zion are overwhelming and the final scenes depict the reestablishment of harmony between body, mind and soul. The absence of this harmony being one of the major reasons for conflict and war.

The Wachowski brothers did also make some mistakes when designing Matrix Revolutions:

• Scenes like the train station take a bit too long although they contain important hints for the story that is about to unfold. This way the movie loses pace at times. Some viewers also felt that the war in Zion occupies too much space - but come on, this is mankind's last stand so this fight is bound to have epic proportions.

• The Wachovskis do NOT explain their story design and its implications. Viewers are expected to figure it all out for themselves. This is simply rejected by many people who -not without any justification- expect to be told a little more what the plot is all about instead of following hints in dialogues and imagery.

• The philosophy is often criticised as basic. But the questions raised are fundamental by nature: choice vs. predestination, harmony of body, mind and soul, do humans define themselves through suffering etc.. Furthermore, how should machines completely understand deep mythology and philosophy of humans and depict that convincingly in their artificial construct known as the Matrix? The stereotypes in the Matrix (e.g. the Merovingian) are to me a natural consequence of machines trying to reproduce human myths and ideas.

But the negative points of Matrix Revolutions are by far outweighed by the positive aspects of the movie:

• There is a colour code in all Matrix movies. Blue is the physical world, green represents mind/rationality and bright yellow or white stands for the soul of a being. All scenes in the real world have a blue hue, the Matrix is always somewhat green and e.g. the machine city, many images of the sentinels and the power lines from the fields where humans are grown - they are all coloured in bright white or yellow. This represents the separation of body, mind and soul which is overcome only in the final scenes of Matrix Revolutions where all colours are mixed in the sky's clouds - this is by the way the contribution of Sati to the revolution/recreation of the (new) Matrix.

• The connection of the real world and the Matrix is the spirit or soul the machines acquire from the humans. Programs and machines now have emotions and feelings (remember the parents in the train station?). Even Agent Smith has some twisted soul. Neo can feel and manipulate the spirits of simple machines but he has significant difficulties to handle more complex machines like sentinels. Similarly, Agent Smith has to struggle hard to control the human called Bane who becomes schizophrenic in that process.

• The energy which the machines drain from the humans is not so much physical or electrical power but mental energy (soul). Like the Architect said in Matrix Reloaded when Neo claims that machines need humans to survive: "There are levels of survival we are willing to accept!". So the machines tap into the souls of humans in order to get something their human creators could not grace them with: a real soul and real feelings. The machines are, however, willing to sacrifice these gifts in order to ensure their mere physical survival. It is quite an amazing outcome of the Matrix storyline: humans exist only because they are useful - they provide real feelings and emotions for the machines and they can even be used to control rogue programs in the Matrix which challenge the existence of the Matrix itself (Neo is used as a carrier for life-force in order to overcome Smith who represents death).

• Neo has to finally realise that only his own sacrifice can end the conflict between machines and humans. He has to accept his evil twin brother Smith and reunite with him in order to become complete. This resonates with Asian Yin-Yang philosophy.

• The Oracle has an interesting role. Neo has become too powerful even for Agent Smith and his duplicates. So the Oracle merges with one of the copies of Agent Smith in order to create the one copy of Agent Smith with enough power to really challenge Neo. It is the Oracle's deliberate sacrifice which finally leads to the death of Neo while he reunites himself with his evil opposite Smith - Neo has to realise that he cannot win against Smith and instead of continuing the final fight with Smith he chooses to sacrifice himself in order to end the war and the domination of the Matrix by Smith.

Sadly it's impossible to provide guidance for understanding the Matrix Trilogy without spoilers. The Wachovskis made some mistakes by not involving their audiences in the plot developments. They kept their ideas to themselves and only provided hints for the viewers to make their own discoveries. I was quite pleased by the challenges provided in getting a (rather) complete understanding of the Matrix Trilogy. But I can also imagine that many viewers were lost in the process and did not find the whole exercise worthwhile. As you might guess by now, I recommend that those who dislike Matrix Revolutions give this amazing movie another chance. I sincerely hope that my comments open up some new perspectives on a film trilogy that blended Sci-Fi, action and philosophy in such a brilliant and innovative way.
22 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Finding Neo
Roland E. Zwick26 September 2004
'The Matrix Revolutions' is the much-anticipated conclusion to the Wachowski Brothers' cultic sci-fi trilogy, whose previous entries were 'The Matrix' and 'The Matrix Reloaded.' In the series' final installment, the messiah figure, Neo, does battle with the diabolical forces that have imprisoned most of humanity in a world of cyber unreality via a massive computer program known as The Matrix.

Of the three films, 'Revolutions' is definitely the least imaginative and the least interesting. What separated the first two episodes in the series from most other action films was the willingness on the part of the filmmakers to bring some thematic depth and narrative complexity to a genre that, all too often, finds no room for such qualities. The previous two films didn't always succeed in their endeavor - often emerging as more hollow and pretentious than meaningful and profound - but they managed to remain intriguing even in their moments of failure. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for 'Revolutions,' which spends so much time on repetitive action scenes and special effects that there is little time left over for storyline and theme. In a strange way, Neo himself ends up getting lost in this film, dropping off the radar screen for astonishingly long stretches of time, only to re-emerge periodically to remind us that there really is supposed to be a purpose buried somewhere beneath all this ear-splitting commotion (this could be re-titled 'Finding Neo'). The sad fact, though, is that, once we arrive at the climactic scene to which all three films have been building, the resolution turns out to be a ham-handed muddle, utterly lacking in clarity and coherence After an almost six-hour-long buildup over the course of the three films, the audience is left scratching its collective head wondering just what it was that happened before the closing credits started rolling by. Perhaps smarter people than I can figure all this out for, frankly, after the overall disappointment occasioned by this film, I couldn't muster either the desire or the effort to probe very deeply into the matter.

It goes without saying that the special effects in this film are spectacular - we would expect nothing less - but what we don't get from 'Revolutions' - which we did from the two previous 'Matrix' films - is that little something extra in the form of intelligence and sophistication that made them more than just the bland, over-produced, assembly-line products they easily could have become - and which 'Revolutions' very nearly is. Even the stolid earnestness of Keanu Reeves can't convince us this time around that there is anything hidden under all those cool gadgets and explosions worth our looking into.

Thus endeth the Matrix series, not with a bang but with a whimper - intellectually speaking that is.
181 out of 294 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Movie Which Is Underrated
lov_nks24 July 2012
I'm watching Revolutions this time again in 2012, and now being almost 8-9 years older, i understood and liked the movie which back there in 2003 i felt disappointed.

This movie is much better than the piece of crap movies we get to see nowadays (I mean in the science fiction category). To those who wanted logic and gave bad rating to this movie... i'm sure they did not went to see logic in Avengers and Spiderman. Makes me laugh when people speak of logic in such type of movies.

What a dose of special effects, which were really fantastic, specially the final battle, with $110 million budget it outcast many biggies of nowadays.

I personally believed that those who felt disappointed was because:

1.They wanted to see the normal happy ending.

2. Did not want to see a character die.

3. Wanted to know what happens after the end.

4. They have watched Matrix 1 & 2 too many times and this one came too soon (6 months after reloaded... it should have released 1 year after)

5. They wanted to compare it with Matrix 1 & 2 and did not want this one to be different.

Well... Enjoy the action and special effects and take it as a movie itself and don't compare it with Matrix 1 & 2. Each has its own style.
26 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Half I expected, and half was better than expected.
BravesPaul9 November 2003
Revolutions is much more concise and to the point than Reloaded was. The action is much more focused and purposeful, mostly because the movie is working its way toward a conclusion, rather than an open ending or a cliffhanger like either of the first two movies. The dialog is geared toward answering unanswered questions rather than raising new ones, and even the new questions raised in the third film can be answered by watching the film again (watch all three a few times over and you'll be as pointlessly knowledgeable about The Matrix universe as I am!).

Unlike Reloaded, even the score fits well with every scene in the movie. I didn't care too much for the rave scene (the scene or the music) in Reloaded, but I can't recall a moment in Revolutions when any scene or sounds felt contrived or unnecessary. If nothing else, I was more disappointed that some scenes and characters didn't appear in the movie! For instance, the Merovingian and his goons were grossly underused in this film! Such an egotistical, maniacal character should be the focus of more attention than what he received in what is supposed to be the best movie of the trilogy.

(One thing I must say to any viewers who criticize the film because it doesn't look real enough or doesn't feel right: you need to stop thinking like an illogical human and treat The Matrix like what it is: something that isn't real. It's science fiction, and much of the action takes place in a computer simulated dream world that is described as an imperfect simulation of the "real world". That is all.)

I have been more involved in The Matrix than I have been in any other media phenomenon to hit pop culture, which means that it is simply, for whatever reason, the realization of an idea that works very well for me. The Wachowski brothers put together an excellent body of work with these films and accompanying works on various media -- so excellent, in fact, that I am easily distracted by discussion of The Matrix, both within the context of the story and above and beyond the story (symbolism, allegorical applications, etc.)

My only complaints were that the Merovingian was grossly underused, the fate of the Twins and some other characters was not explained, and the Kid's triumphant "The war is over!" at the end was a bit premature, given what we had just watched for the last two hours.

Finally, everyone should keep in mind that the machines have Neo's code, and whether Keanu Reeves comes back or not, his intellect may yet survive in the Matrix somehow...
127 out of 210 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Everything you hated about "Reloaded" multiplied
DarthBill6 April 2006
Picking up where "Reloaded" left off, it's time for Neo to face his destiny, which means making the usual sacrifices and confronting the big machine equivalent of God - or a god - while the people of Zion gear up for a big showdown of their own with the machines while Neo faces off with one of the army of Smiths.

More ridiculously bad dialogue, atrociously flat performances almost on par with the acting of the Star Wars prequel trilogy, obscene overuse of CGI and an overblown climax results in the sad, pitiful closing of what could have been the next great science fiction trilogy.

Skip it.
25 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better when viewed twice...
cpilgrim30 March 2004
Initially, I was expecting the movie to be more plugged into the matrix than unplugged from it. After deciding to go back and see the movie a second time with that expectation already established, I watched it again and thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I understood then that the movie really required to be primarily "unplugged" in order to make any type of sense at all and close the trilogy. It didn't hurt that the second viewing was on an IMAX, as well. The sound and effects were simply amazing once again, and in spite of all the negative reviews out there, I am satisfied with the trilogy as a whole. I look forward to adding the DVD to my collection; it will be well worth the investment that is required.
44 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fairly satisfying conclusion, but there are disappointments, and it still doesn't make total sense.
manalone9237 April 2004
(No plot spoilers.)

Like most others, I loved the Matrix. And like a lot of others, I was underwhelmed with Reloaded. But for Revolutions, I came out pretty happy. You do see an end, and there are some surprises. But I was still left with important unanswered questions, and that's kind of inexcusable for the finale in a 7 hour trilogy.

What Matrix Revolutions brings to the table is a giant war. The machines have reached Zion, it's the last stand for the humans, and Neo must make a choice that could bring him face-to face with the machine city and a possible end to the war.

After a slow but interesting start, we see the war begin. It's a special effects frenzy, similar to that of Lord of the Rings or the arena battle at the end of Star Wars: Attack of the Clones. The war scene makes up the entire middle third of the film, and for what it's supposed to display, it does it well enough. Aside from legions of the "squiddies", or Sentinels, there are a couple new machines that are fascinating to watch: Giant, drilling creatures that instill an appropriate feeling of dread and power. On the human side, there's a small army of walking robots similar to the Power Loader machines in "Aliens", but with extensive firepower. This results in long sequences of shooting, attacking, and screaming, which is going to uninspire fans of the Matrix's deeper plot but which is appropriate for a war setting.

The only problem is that a lot of this is pretty standard stuff. Grizzled military commanders will be hard on young soldiers, who find their courage and prove their true worth. People will be injured and give important information in a speech just before dying. The heroes will be doubted but still do just enough to prove their doubters wrong.

But then one of the bigger overall problems is that the main characters are sort of lost amongst the backdrop of war. Morpheus has maybe 30 lines, becoming a shadow of the informative, enigmatic hero he was in the original. This time, he's reduced mainly to someone who hopes Neo saves the world while himself taking orders as co-captain of Niobe's ship. Trinity has little else to do either besides tag along with Neo or do a couple arbitrary flips and kicks.

And then there's actually a few more specific problems. A very important scene with Neo and Trinity occurs within the movie's last half hour, and although it's dramatic it too is cliche. What's worse, after the scene is over the plot just moves right along as if it didn't matter, without it even being mentioned again. Given the importance of the scene, and the fact that it's occuring between two characters who we've known for years, it feels like it's over way too quickly. That's just a letdown. The same thing occurs with the appearance if the Architect, the builder of the Matrix. He has a brief scene in this film, and has almost nothing important or informative to say whatsoever. Again, it seems like a waste, especially due to the fact that he SHOULD have interesting things to say by the point at which he appears in the film.

Finally there's the film's conclusion, which I won't reveal. I will say that it was one of the less predictable of possible outcomes. But it too is a letdown in a couple ways: First, it leaves quite a few important questions unanswered, and could be construed as leaving the door open for a sequel, but also could be seen as the absolute finish. But that's the problem. If it's the end, I want my questions answered, I want to know the hows and whys. The final minutes left me wanting, left me thinking that there were several possible conclusions to the story that aren't there on film. And in my opinion, that shouldn't happen at the end of something this large and built up to.

But what really matters is whether I enjoyed the film. Although the review doesn't sound like I did, that's actually not the case. I went in planning to know what I wanted to know, and while I didn't learn everything I still did spend a couple fun hours watching an action movie. The acting, score, and effects were pretty much on par with the other films so there's nothing lost there, but it's the details that hurt. Where the original Matrix was a smart script that mostly made sense, this one was more or less action with an incomplete plot wrapup. But it still did have several good scenes, and many of the special effects were great (I loved machine city, with its vast fields and burned skies). I also truly loved the music for the final fight, and during the end credits.

Still, while Reloaded had a standout chase scene as well as some great kung fu like the 100 Smith brawl, this one had neither. There is a climactic and important Neo/Smith battle at the end of Revolutions, but it too is different: In demonstrating the epic and dramatic repercussions of this battle, it consists mostly of giant (albeit very cool) effects, lots of flying, and very little actual close combat. This makes Revolutions unfortunately boil down to a plot far less interesting and focused than the original Matrix, as well as far, far less kung fu. There's also much less complicated story development than in Reloaded, but that's probably a good thing. That doesn't leave Revolutions with much to digest however, aside from a long war scene and a plot wrapup that doesn't explain much more than the most immediate questions. Even the actual "ending" after the big fight is pretty brief, which then is followed by the closing scenes that make things confusing again.

In the end, Revolutions is still fun to watch, and I still like it 2nd of the trilogy. It's just not as tight and fun as the original, and it kind of deflated after the information overload of Reloaded. Not a bad movie at all, it just falls a little short of the great climax worthy of what the Matrix began years ago. Not in style or flash, but in making everything fit. I'd still recommend it to those who saw the first two, just don't expect that big, revelatory plot scene where everything make sense - that's still missing.
55 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I can't understand the hate. Amazing movie.
Chris5 November 2003
We all know the original Matrix was easily the pinacle. But that's because it grabbed out attentions as something brand new. The first movie, if done correctly as the Matrix was, can open our eyes to new ideas we never considered in any strain of our imagination.

I'll admitt, Reloaded was a bit slow and perhaps a bit tedious at times. It was saved by an amazing Neo vs. Thousands of Smiths' battle, an even more amazing highway scene centered around Morpheus, and the appearance of the amazing Monica Belluci (a character I wish we'd heard more from the in the 3rd installment).

Now as for Revolutions. Unless you're unrealistic or a mass-media critic, who all hate anything outside of artsy or useless Indy movies that get ZERO major release...you'll enjoy and perhaps love Revolutions.

You get clarity to a lot of questions. You get resolution. No cliffhangers. People die and people survive, I won't dare say whom. You are brought all the way from dispair to happiness. Instead of simply giving the cheesy ending, the Matrix's "end" is proper and sensible.

Of course there are some plot holes, but I dare anyone and everyone to find a movie without numerous mistakes or unanswered questions. More and more directors should heed the advice of David Lynch and allow the audience to interpret a few things for themselves. Keep them thinking. (I won't open up a Lynch debate, that's for another time and place)

In the end, you'll enjoy Revolutions. It is action-packed with amazing special effects and the usual above-average acting and amazing creativity in the choreography of the fight scenes.

Agent Smith shines in a stellar performance by Hugo Weaving. His words to Neo throughout his battle are stellar. His encounter with the Oracle, awesome. Keanu, Fish, Carrie-Anne, Jada, and others for the fight for good are also as sharp as they need to be.

In the end, Revolutions is everything a true fan of the Matrix wants. And if they ask for more, they are not only guilty of being unrealistic, but also asking too much for an amazing trilogy.

A trilogy I believe should be held in the same breath as Star Wars (the original three), Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, and numerous other action-drama based trilogies. I'm sure I'll be adding the Lord of the Rings trilogy to that list, barring a collapse with the Return of the King (another debate for another time).
266 out of 476 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hats off to the brothers
joshsaunders5 November 2003
Matrix Revolutions is a revolution of a movie and shows that the brothers wont stop at a half worked job. the attention to detail and cinematography of the real world makes you shocked at how much work was really put into this film. In my opinion no one will be able to match the hugeness of the matrix trilogy for a long time. a job well done and a movie definitely worth seeing, even if you didn't like the 2nd one.
53 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
We Used Up All Our Ideas In The First Movie, Part 2
imprator16 February 2006
Before seeing the first Matrix movie I didn't expect to like it. I was dead wrong – I loved that film. I therefore looked forward to the next two. I was wrong again – I hated them both. Each is execrable, but "Revolutions" is the worst.

In fact, "hate" is the wrong word to use for this movie. Rather, I was bored. Revolutions is dull, unimaginative and impenetrable. I know, there are people out there who see impenetrable as deep and meaningful. In this case it's not. It is shallow and meaningless.

Revolutions has three distinct parts. In the first third not much happens, and what does happen is of no import. Most of the audience will have been lost by the end of this portion of the film – disinterest will have caused their minds to drift. As the movie proceeds some may think that this inattention was the reason they didn't understand the film – that they were at fault, not the movie. This is a mistake; Revolutions really is as dull and meaningless as it appears.

The second third of the movie is a seemingly unending, desperately repetitive shoot-'em-up. There are lots of special effects, but they are used to no actual effect. Moreover, the effects aren't really very special. The entire battle scene uses the old trick of low lighting and shadow to imply great effects without actually showing them. It doesn't work. All we see are duplications of the same few (very few) basic machines – an obvious economy.

Moreover, some of the machine designs are just stupid. For example - why create a giant metal walking extension of a man, a walking waldo fighting machine, and then leave the operator totally exposed to – well, anything, really. These war machines couldn't beat a stone-age tribe. "Look, here comes one of those stupid machines again. Let's just hide behind this rock/tree/hillock until it's close, then throw a spear/axe/knife/rock at the driver, kill him and take his machine for our own." As for emotional involvement with the characters in the battle – forget it. They are, without exception, poorly drawn, shallow caricatures. If they die nobody in the audience is going to care – the characters aren't real people, just pale, humourless shadows.

Another lowlight of this central third of the movie (an entire third of the movie used up on this drivel!) is the acting. Poor throughout the film, the "acting" of the characters in the "battle third" is truly ridiculous. The General is the worst culprit, closely followed by the Council members, then – well, everyone else, really. It's almost as if the actors had no idea what the movie was about and - ah, yes, of course…

WARNING - SPOILERS ARE PRESENT FROM THIS POINT ON

Then there is the film's ending, its "climax". Spectacular it isn't. No explanations are provided, no great revelations occur.

What we have is Trinity taking forever to die from injuries that quite clearly would have killed her almost immediately. Never mind, we get to hear her spout something about love again and again and again while Neo (on a desperately urgent mission to save Mankind's last hope for a future) takes his ease and waits for her to finish her pointless homilies.

After the woman finally dies Neo cuts a deal with the machines to eliminate Agent Smith in return for "peace". There is a bit of a fight, some meaningless wordplay, then Agent Smith attempts to absorb Neo. Neo becomes a duplicate Smith, the original Smith acts confused and the other duplicate Smiths go pop, followed by the original. The Neo Smith becomes Neo again, but dies – probably. He's carted away in a manner that suggests some kind of Messiah figure. The machines stop attacking the city and that's that.

Much thought has gone into this film's ending by those seeking a deeper meaning. My own interpretation is that Neo "knew" the Matrix to be a fantasy to a degree and with an absence of doubt that others could not achieve whilst interacting within the Matrix. This knowledge gave him the power to manipulate the fantasy. It also grounded him to reality (the "Source"), and when the program Smith attempted to absorb his enemy he became "grounded" to reality through Neo. Programs are just lines of code in the real world; so Smith's existence as a coherent being could not continue.

However, deep thought into the "meaning" of the ending is wasted. This was a very poor, unsatisfactory finale. In fact, the entire movie was dire. It was both dull and dull-witted. It is obvious that the writers used up all their good ideas on the first movie. That film was excellent – imaginative, innovative and understandable. It was complete in itself. But it was also very successful, and successful films must have cash-in sequels. So "Reloaded" and "Revolutions" came to be.

Unfortunately, there really wasn't much left to tell after the first film – and certainly not enough for TWO films. Neo had been left in a position to wrap things up in the first movie, but that was a tale that would take only a short time to tell – and would be uninteresting in the telling. So the writers chose to go all mystical and spiritual, seeking to imply depth and content where there was actually nothing, whilst providing a great big shoot-up to fill time and amuse adolescents and video game fans. It isn't enough. Not even close.

I would suggest that anyone who has not yet seen this movie should ignore the praise of those who imbue it with a depth and meaning that it just doesn't have. This is a bad film, pure and simple.

Avoid.
78 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Worst possible ending for a trilogy with such promise.
GMEllis6253 September 2005
What was the point of this trilogy? Why take the pill to begin with? What were they fighting for? In the end the free humans settle for survival, and trade slavery for the rest of humanity for their own survival. If "peace" is the most important thing, why start the fight? In the first movie they tell us that freedom is the most important thing--without it you aren't really alive. It's worth giving up your life in the matrix; it's worth living a life underground in sewers and caves; it's worth fighting and dying for. By the third movie freedom wasn't as important as any of that. Leave humanity in bondage to the machines. Leave the matrix running and leave the free people in their caves. Just give us peace.

There was so much promise. Not only did the Wachowskis not meet that promise, they wimped out completely.
47 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
for the minds & souls who are ready..
koala8810 November 2003
So we have reached the end of Matrix. This was an amazing trilogy with a lot of metaphors which everybody have missed. Third film have it's down & ups just like the second. The problem is, first film was so perfect that everybody wanted to see the rest like that. But after all, we have a very effective trilogy here and it only shows you are not ready if you didn't like the second or third film. From that point you are free to choose disgracing yourself by saying "this film sucks", "this is soo bad" etc. etc.

*****potential spoilers from now on**********

Now let's take a different look to the old question: What is the Matrix?

I've seen Matrix as a "personal" story. I mean not "my" personal but this is the journey of a person in life/universe etc. We see lots of characters in 3 films which may be described as parts of a person like:

Morpheus: faith, wisdom. Trinity: emotions. Agent Smith: negative side of self. Maybe devil. Maybe cancer cells (please check how cancer cells spread in an organism). Architect: pure mind, logic. Merovingian: ego, self-opportunism. Cypher: fear accompanied by ignorance (also the opposite) Oracle: connection to higher-self or God or whatever you call.

Neo: This is the important question. Let's call it "I".

Matrix: illusions that our mind (architect) and perceptions show us. Machines: so-called "external world" that creates illusions for us. It seems very hard to beat them.

Matrix Trilogy is the story of "I" who learns about itself/life/universe etc etc. You may consider it as a story of personal development. The illusions (matrix) that is created by the world surrounds us (machines) is everywhere. If you are not aware of anything, than you are lucky. But if you find some voice, some disturbing feeling inside (morpheus) you have to give a decision. Listen to it (take the red pill), or forget about it (take the blue pill). If you listen to it, this voice takes you to a very interesting & primaly dark journey (to the nebuchadnezzar). In the beginning there will be times that you feel very bad, but by time you'll realize your powers (you'll see zion). You find a leading voice that shows the way (the oracle). In fact this voice gives you only one message: KNOW YOURSELF. But your mind tells you these are all nonsense, worthless crap (the architect). In fact the illusions are created by this very mind.

As the journey goes on, you realize some negative thoughts never stop chasing you from the beginning (agent smiths). If you ever get weak, these thoughts are ready to absorb you. You also need your emotions (Trinity) to end the journey - because there may be a time that your eyes are blind, you have to trust your feelings - but only to one point. You have to FULLY understand what you are to end the illusions. At that point you may open your 7 chakras or have a mir'ac (ascension) or see yourself as jesus - depending on the illusion that your own culture already gave you.

After that, your higher-self (oracle) may tell your mind (architect) that was a great play that is worth to experience. Your pure mind may not be happy about what has happened, but it knows that it lost the control - no separate part is in control when you have your WHOLENESS (or holiness)...
20 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Still trying to absorb what I've seen
puppyperson5 November 2003
Going into this movie I had one wish: To leave feeling that it was a successful conclusion to a two-part film. Taking Reloaded/Revolutions as a single (very large) movie with an intermission is the best way to evaluate it. Viewed that way I think it succeeded. I thought Revolutions was the equal of Reloaded, yet I can see how many will think it failed. The ending gave us everything we needed to know, but did not show us all we wanted to see. I'm speaking of the last twenty minutes or so here. After a visually robust middle, in which I felt my eyes grow larger in their sockets more than once, the ending seemed like an anticlimax. It needed to be longer, and I would gladly have traded some of the fx flair used earlier to give the final part of the film it's justified due. It will be awhile before I can look at it more objectively (perhaps I'll have to wait to view the two parts as one on DVD). I only suggest now that anyone seeing it let it sink in completely before being too critical.
100 out of 183 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a large step in the right direction
NiGe20119 November 2003
"The Matrix, Revolutions" was not on the level with the original, this much is true. However, it was undoubtedly a large step in the right direction.

To start with the most praise-worthy aspect of "Revolutions", being that of visuals. From a visual standpoint this movie was amazing, the CGI was unrivaled by anything that had ever come before it. The final battle between Smith and Neo easily places itself somewhere in my three favorite cinematic sequences of all time. And the battle between the machines and humans in Zion is also jaw-dropping. From a purely visual standpoint this movie is simply the best of three (which is boasting a lot since the free-way chase in the sub par "Reloaded" was quite the sight itself). The CGI is probably the best in any movie ever made, a notch above "Reloaded", which at times felt as though it were a video game, and worlds ahead of any of the recent Star War's movies.

Another improvement that was made upon the previous installments of the series was the music. Gone are cheesy techno theme's and watered-down POD lyrics. Instead we get to feast upon more gospel and, dare I say, epic themed musical backgrounds. Epic, as it would turn out, is the word that could best describe the feel of this final Matrix chapter, the entire time you feel as though you are engaged in something epic and important.

The acting is right back where it should have been in the second one, as all characters are portrayed better by their respective actors/actresses. Fishburne provides us with probably his strongest performance of the three, he is in a the role of a more emotional Morpheus then we have seen before. And it certainly turns out to be a role that he seems comfortable in. Reeves and Moss also both seem to be right back in their acting grooves (this is of course assuming Keanu ever had one). Also, Agent Smith definitely is the strongest character in this movie, the acting is right-on and the character is developed to completely new heights as true sadistic colors come out completely for the viewer to enjoy.

The only complaints that can be made are about the over done philisophical conversations and the movie's open ended conclusion. "Revolutions" at times feels as though it is trying too hard to be intellectual. Impending death does not need to make everybody do their best Plato impersonations. And in the end you may feel as though the movie has left you as clueless as when the series first began... Then again, you may also feel as though you have figured it all out. But irregardless the future of The Matrix is left up in the air.

In the end, "Revolutions" will be hated by some people and loved by others, there will be no gray here. It is hard not to measure it up to the first Matrix, which leaves it looking slightly wanting. However, it turns out to be thousands of times better then "Reloaded" (which I feel was a solid flick itself!) And one thing that the open ended conclusion does do for me, is fill me with hope that the journey down the rabbit hole is not yet over.
43 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ok, are you ready for this? *SPOILERS*
Michael A. Fiedler8 November 2003
Right-o. Just got back from watching this, and let me tell you, what a waste of a Saturday night, not to mention money.

Let me start off by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed "The Matrix" and was quite happy with the way it ended. I was reluctant to see "Matrix: Reloaded", and in fact protested going, until I received complimentary tickets to that opening night. Having seen THAT, and being put off by SO many reasons, I was extremely hesitant to go to this one. My roommate convinced me to go, as he had put together a group of 7 people, and we all went, and I was hopeful, but not convinced that it would be worth the time.

That being said, of the 7 of us, more than once, 4 of us came up with "Star Wars" related jokes at precisely the same time, and comments were shuttling back and forth our row. The amount of un-originality was reprehensible, and a massive disappointment to us all. I was hoping for some closure that was not attained in "Reloaded", which was a master marketing ploy on the production's end, "Keep them coming back for more" all over again. Sequel suicide.

The amount of impossibilities presented to us were too many to suspend disbelief for, as a lot of them were, "Let's see if we can do THIS effect!" and proceeded to do so, without regards to storyline. Trinity's dying scene was not entirely unexpected, but the length of it was. Literally: "I've waiting so long to tell you how much I wanted to tell you how much I love you, and I waited too long, too long," etc. ad nauseum. Not surprisingly, I was whispering to my neighbor, "Die, already!!" When finally dead, a round of applause rose from the audience, and catcalls and such were provided to place a point on my sentiment.

A word to any who appreciate battles: Strategy! Some of the ideas were so painfully obvious, we were reciting the next few minutes to each other, and at one point, "Hell, I could write a better sequence than this" was mentioned. Some basic strategies of both offense and defense were simply too easy to be overlooked, however, they were. I call to order: sentinels. Once past the dome's hole, they merge into a flowing, snake-like form, that then proceeds to direct a single blast, probably to overwhelm enemies in numbers. This was visually stunning, no argument there. Pure eye candy. The behavioral pattern we've seen in sentinels is that they attack as a bunch of individual units, each trying to tear it's way, for instance, into a hovercraft. Why the sudden (psychological??) change? In fact, I'd think it the other way around. When presented with multiple targets, spread your forces, harder to strike at, and a better chance that the enemy will be overwhlemed. Enough on that.

Defense? Mechwarriors to the rescue! Whether they be BattleBots, Mechwarriors, or some really souped-up battle suits, COVER THE PILOTS! afford them SOME sort of protection, even if it doesn't do much but give the pilot a false sense of security! Again, visually stunning, I'm sure it was very difficult to create a lifelike situation there, but pointless. Enough on THAT.

"Star Trek"'s classic "Red Shirt" syndrome was highly active, and you Trekkies will know what I mean. How many characters were we introduced to, with the immediate obvious reaction that they are going to die VERY soon. To name a couple, the "medic" on the Logos, dies at the hands of Bane (Ag. Smith), and the "tough girl" Charra, were some simple choices to take out, so there WOULD be some intimate human casualties, not to mention the unknowns that were demolished, exploded, snatched by sentinels, etc.

Are you still reading? Have I captured your interest? Well, I shall go on.

One serious offense to my sensibilities, and apparently to others as well, was that if inside the Matrix, a speeding bullet is dodgeable, how come physical blows aren't? This has sat uneasily with me since Matrix 1, and has yet to really make sense, especially since Smith is changing reality inside, what is to prevent him, or the guards outside the Merovingian's club. If you can walk on the ceiling, or fly through the air, what's to prevent you from using the same "force" (hint: Star Wars reference! Again!) to obtain a weapon, instead of back-flipping your way across the middle of an enemy-infested room?

Smith's assimilation of everyone was again, Star Wars-ish, "Borg time!" Apparently, when he grabbed everyone, he obtained their knowledge and capabilities. Does that work? A virus takes over, and re-writes the software to do its own agenda, thereby creating identical Smithies, who, by the way, blown to Smith-ereens. (Pardon my pun, but I just heard you groan.) If reality is malleable, and to a great extent at that, why not mess it up more? Nope. Software apparently has physical constraints. My roommate said, "Hey, forget guns, create an energy weapon with sufficient blast radius to be inescapable." To which I replied, "Forget that, bring in the sun!" (ref. James Bond: Die Another Day).

Seriously, if you're reading this, go to bed already. It's late. Don't trust my opinion, go see the movie, and THEN agree with me. But by then, the great corporation will already have your hard-earned cash. If you DO trust me, wait until you can rent it, and enjoy (or NOT!) in the privacy of your own home, so that after it's over, you can yell and scream about it, and NOT get harassed by others outside the theater, like I did.

That's my rant on the subject. Hoped you enjoyed it. I mean the rant, not the movie. :)
44 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not as bad as you've heard--it's worse.
miokey20048 June 2004
CONTAINS SPOILERS

After protesting for as long as I could, my brother convinced me to see the third installment of the Matrix trilogy, The Matrix Revolutions. I will begin by saying that I was a big fan of the first film, and was curious to see how the story would end. I went into the movie with as open a mind as I could, but after the first forty-five minutes I was just angry at how bad the movie really was.

It was at this point that Neo was reunited with Trinity after being held by the "Frenchman" in a sort of limbo (in this case it was a white on white on white train station.) This story line was entirely useless, especially since the conflict was resolved and served no point in the rest of the movie, except to introduce a cute little girl who is a machine, a useless program going on to live with the Oracle. (I lie, this story-line also gave the Wachowski brothers an excuse to film both a bondage night club and Monica Belucci's ample cleavage.)

The movie goes on from there building up tension and "drama" that leads up to the breaching of the last human city, Zion. Another thing I do not understand is why the humans want to be free? The Matrix is a much better place to live than the real world, which is dark and cold and only hospitable under the ground. The people here have reverted to a new religion and to wearing horrifically unflattering clothing. Why would they choose this life of constant turmoil and darkness over the life of at least supposed happiness in the matrix?

The movie builds up to two climaxes, one involving Neo in the Machine City and another involving the rest of mankind in Zion. In the end there is a depressingly anti-climatic battle in Zion where lots of stuff blows up real good, and not one person shows a single emotion. It is as if the directors told each actor to choose an emotion and facial expression to go along with that emotion and to stick with it. Watch closely Morpheus and Trinity for an example of this.

Neo ends up having to fight the billions of Agents Smiths that have taken over the Matrix. If he wins, there will be peace, if not Zion will be destroyed. Since it all comes down to this battle, then what was the point of the rest of the movie? Especially the drawn out battle scene that precedes the films second climax? It is enough to make a person mad.

In the end Neo of course defeats Smith in a manner that made no sense to me or my brother. Peace is declared and the Matrix trilogy comes to the most infuriating happy ending ever in the history of movies.

Earlier I said that I was a fan of the first film, that has all changed because of what the Matrix went on to become. With the first film, they made history, but with the second two the Wachowski's have committed murder. The special effects in the second two movies are not eve as impressive, especially in Revolutions (never before have I seen a more boring gun fight!) This movie is infuriating and poorly written with so/so special effects and some of the worst acting ever captured o film (Yes, I am including the Star Wars Prequels). Skip this movie, skip Reloaded and simply watch the Matrix on DVD. It is far better.
126 out of 240 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Action-Packed Tedium
pietzsche28 August 2004
It is hard to believe that the original Matrix's philosophical subtlety came from the same authors of the two sequels.

It seems the brothers must have cribbed the original story for the first Matrix, since the last 2 show none of the original's subtlety or interest, just rehashing and CGI multiplication.

One evil robot, two evil robots, many many evil robots. Wow, what an idea, what creativity!

Viewing the behind-the-scenes on DVD disc 2, you can see the reasons for the incoherence of story and scenes - the huge fractured design team, numerous 'senior this' 'senior that', all contributing to some corporate creation lacking any inspiration. Maybe the corporate cube-farm culture works for making cars, but it doesn't seem to work for films.

I would have liked to have seen another level of reality exposed behind the mindless machines, and why are they so mindlessly evil when they can think up such a subtle ruse to enslave the humans? It isn't consistent. Why not introduce an alien ET culture who is really the master culture enslaving the machine culture by some similar hallucinatory ruse. Or, have the humans escape by transcending their bodies, as in all the traditional gnostic spiritualities.

All in all, the Matrix is just a retread of the movie TRON. TRON at least had some insight into what the machine mindset and motivation for domination might be, e.g. tyrannical game addiction, much like the decadent Roman emperors. The Matrix, after the first film, gives no thought to any subtle motivations of the machine culture, preferring the tired cliché of 'alien villain = mindless unrelenting violence'.
87 out of 162 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Everything that has a beginning...
ken_196910 November 2003
IMHO, when the Wachokwski brothers came up with the idea of "The Matrix" they did not realise just what a hot potato it would be.

Before I go any further, let's not forget that both The Matrix and Reloaded are in the top 40 grossing movies of all time, and these are the first big budget movies the Wachowski brothers have done. For all Reloaded's slating by critics, it is the 13th highest grossing movie of all time. At $735,300,000 it almost doubled the Matrix' $456,300,000. These are popular movies, not art house movies. There is no question that Revolutions will join them in the top 40 - I predict in the top 15.

The second thing to remember is, this is a comic book. The Wachowski brothers are huge comic book fans, and anime fans. They envisioned this project as if it were a comic book or anime project, but they rightly predicted it would be so much cooler if they could make it as a movie.

More, they had the determination to get it made. The studio system turned them down initially and so they `hacked into the system' by creating the excellent low budget movie, Bound as a showcase for their capabilities.

Then, Warner Bros didn't `get' the Matrix so when SFX costs were expanding during the early stages they closed it down. But not to be defeated, the Wachowski's pulled out all the stops to get the opening sequence with Trinity at the Heart O The City motel edited together, which blew the studio execs away and ensured they got the SFX budget they needed.

I think these guys should be proud of themselves! They created a fantasy / sci-fi world which has it's own internal logic, breathed life into it, imbued it with layers of philosophy, intelligence, wit, but most of all with a hefty dose of cool.

For those who are whinging about the sequels being `such a disappointment' - go do better!

Everybody I speak to seems to enjoy the Matrix on a different level, or likes many of the multiple layers of meaning, but I suspect none of us "get" all those layers - probably not even Larry and Andy to be fair! ;) But it's obvious from reading some of the comments here that a lot of people did not `get' the Matrix at all!

If you are after standard dialog, plotting and the "satisfactory" ending in true Hollywood(TM) style, then you will be disappointed.

What many critics miss when they talk about how different Reloaded and Revolutions are, is that this is a story in three chapters with a beginning, middle and end. Each chapter has it's own challenges and needs, and the Wachowskis were willing to go the distance to get their movie done in accordance with their vision.

Bullet time was the big thing in the original - Neo learns he can dodge bullets - but it was not needed in the second and third movie - Neo won't have to dodge bullets anymore. But they had their own challenges. I look at the Burly Brawl and Neo vs the Merovingians henchmen as stand out moments in terms of artistry and craft in sci-fi action movies. The fights are ballet.

Gaeta and his SFX team move the benchmark by rendering true `virtual stuntmen' in virtual worlds. Taking the `virtual stuntman' one step further, the adrenaline pumping freeway chase combining real and virtual vehicles makes for the most amazing car chase I've ever seen. Can you tell which vehicles are real and which are not? I couldn't!

For those who claim Reloaded offered nothing new or original in the way of ideas - were you watching the same movie? In the first movie there's that jaw-dropping moment when Keanu wakes up in his pod in the real world. He's then led down a path by Morpheus who believes he is `The One'.

In Reloaded the Wachowski's take that message and turn it on it's head. The legend of The One is another system of control! Morpheus' faith is totally destroyed, along with his ship, and then another shocker (although I admit I predicted this from the first movie) he appears to have powers now in the real world. The final `shocker' is Bane, who we know is now Smith, inches from his enemy as a cliffhanger finale.

***MAJOR SPOILER ALERT*** Then we get to Revolutions. I admit, it's more an Evolution than a Revolution, because unlike Matrix to Reloaded there was no 4 year gap for technology to advance. But as a sequel to Reloaded it is a far better movie in that it takes us to the denouement.

Along the way to the finale we have some more super cool moments. Neo, blinded by Bane, sees him for what he really is, and beats the crap out of him. Superb! The APU/Squiddy battle royale in the dock is tense, emotive, and powerful.

But does Revolutions cop out and take us down a predictable path? No!

Neo does not lead the humans into war with the machines and free them by force. Why? Because WAR IS BAD. Instead, he co-operates and negotiates with the machines in a common goal. Both he and Trinity sacrifice themselves to win the peace.

And finally the `super brawl' - Smith vs Neo - the guy who said this is no better than the fight between Superman and General Zod in Superman II should go watch that dated movie again honestly! I have been reading comic books for over 20 years, and this is the best superhuman fight scene ever brought to film, bar none.

But again, does it end with Neo kicking Smith's butt? No, it has a more subtle and more powerful ending. Here is Smith, the ultimate nihilist, death personified, vs Neo the existential positivist. The humanist. And he wins by having the courage to accept his fate.

Agree with it or disagree, this trinity of movies is visionary, and it rocks!
38 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the worst movies I have ever seen!
gufiboss20 February 2004
WARNING! THIS COMMENT CONTAINS SPOILERS! IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE DO NOT READ THIS AS IT WILL RUIN THE MOVIE EXPERIENCE. Not that "Revolutions" is much of an experience, it's actually a waste of time and money, but you might want to see with your own eyes this "masterpiece". Actually I hope that as many people as possible see it so that they will know what I'm talking about when I say that it's a disgrace to the Matrix 1, and even to the second.

The conclusion of the Matrix saga has to be one of the biggest disappointments of all times, all in all a really bad sequel. After the brilliant Matrix first movie, "Matrix Reloaded" wasn't as good and "Matrix: Revolutions" is a perfect example of how writers that run out of ideas just play on the success of their previous works. This movie is so full of cliches it makes you sick! Fans of the series were expecting a blockbuster ending to the story and they got nothing. This movie belongs in the bottom 100 of the IMDb list and it will get there, as more and more people see it and are disappointed by it. The storyline is so weak and the exaggerated use of special effects that were supposed to paint the picture of the final battle between humans and machines do nothing but stir up laughter. The sentinels that just keep on coming and coming were too much. How many sentinels can there be anyway? They overdid it with the "war to end all wars" idea. The thing that made me want to walk out of the cinema is near the end. Neo is in a hurry to get to the machine city and stop the war before Zion is completely destroyed and when Trinity gets hurt, she just doesn't die faster! I mean, the man has only a little time left to save humanity and she just keeps telling him about love and other stuff and she takes her time about it. It's like: "Wait... I'm dieing... oh, no... not yet... I have to tell you about this and that... it's all getting dark... but there's still something to say..."! Lame! Exaggerated. I'm sorry if I strike as too aggressive, but as a fan I considered this an offense to the original Matrix and an offense to all the people that said after seeing it: "It really makes you think. Is this really the world, or just a dream?". Real fans, you know that this is an awful movie in comparison with the first and even on its own.
55 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My theory on the Matrix - how it all resolved and why I don't hate it so much (Warning: SPOILER)
squeakerth212 November 2003
Ok, so the first time I saw Revolutions I left completely confused in the "that didn't resolve a darn thing" kind of way.... but then I thought about it a little more, watched the movie a second time, and I think I have a theory that, at least in my mind, resolves everything, and puts a nice little frame on the three movies... So let me know what you think about my little theory.

Agent Smith and Neo were both created by the Oracle as a means of initiating a truce between the humans and the machines.

Sounds like a lot, so lets start at the beginning. First of all, a small line, that many probably caught out of its sheer weirdness is when Agent Smith called the Oracle "mom". As we'd seen in the beginning of the movie, it is possible for programs to create other programs, and this in an of itself is enough for me to think that quite possibly Smith was created by the Oracle. Smith is, in my mind, most easily characterized as a virus. And there's something unique about Smith, even before the scene in the hallway in the first movie. Of all the Agents, he's the only one that expresses a desire to get out of the Matrix. There's something different about him, right from the beginning.

About Neo... I think, given the end of the movie, Neo could be most easily characterized as a "virus fix," so to speak. Now, it seems unlikely that the Oracle would be talking about "The One," directing the humans towards finding "The One" if she didn't know that a virus fix was out there, and exactly where to find it. And, given that the Oracle created Smith, it also seems most unlikely that the Oracle would create a virus without creating a "virus fix." So that's why I think that the Oracle not only knew Neo would stop Smith, but had deliberately created Neo for that purpose.

First of all, addressing the who flabbergasted "What?!?! Neo a program?!!? Can't be!!!" cries: to begin with, Agent Smith proved that a program can inhabit a human brain (ex. Bane). Secondly, the Oracle says that the powers of "The One" extend all the way to where it came from, which is "the source" which I believe to be further proof of his possible "programic roots" so to speak.

Why did she do it? To facilitate a truce between the humans and the machines. At the beginning of the trilogy, the power balance is highly in favor of the machines. To ever end the war, there needed to be a shift in power, ever so slight that would give the humans a right to demand a truce. That is why the Oracle created a problem (Smith, the virus) and offered the solution (Neo, the fix). But she put the fix-it program in a human, which gave the humans an advantage over the machines (imbalance of equation) and gave them the opportunity to demand a truce

My last and final evidence for my theory. In the very end scene, the Oracle and the Architect meet up. The Architect's line: "You play a very dangerous game." This shows that a) The Oracle was indeed a key player in the turn of events, not just a watcher, b) The Architect and the Oracle were on opposing sides of this whole game (further delineated by the later discussion of terms for the release of the humans who wanted out of the Matrix).

That's my story and I'm sticking to it... What do you think?
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this