Exit Wounds (2001) Poster

(2001)

The creme de la creme of cheesy action flicks
Aphex9724 May 2001
I went into this movie with the no expectations, except to see a cheesy action flick. This means I desired high-flying, over-the-top action that includes lots of cool martial arts, mushroom cloud explosions, high speed car chases and catastrophic crashes, and ultra-violent death scenes. Boy does this movie deliver!

I've been reading some of the other user reviews here on imdb and many are saying this is Seagal's best flick. I would probably agree that it is close. His stiff under-acting makes him perfect for this Dirty Harry type part.

The plot is nothing new. Seagal is a strung-out lone ranger cop who plays by his own rules...well you know the type, this character has been used in countless movies. Basically, Seagal's character finally goes too far (by throwing the Vice President off a bridge no less!) Thus, Seagal gets demoted down to the most dangerous precinct in town. Once there, he begins to discover crooked cops and internal conspiracies. With no one to trust and people trying (emphasis on "trying") to kill him left and right, Seagal starts kicking ass and taking names.

Yes I know, this storyline is as old as they come, but I maintain that cheesy action flicks aren't about great or novel plot lines. No, cheesy action flicks are about great action with all the things I listed above, in which, this movie delivers the goods with a bang.

This movie also stars DMX, who is surprisingly competent as one of the main and most interesting characters of the movie. Generally good performances all around. I never noticed any laughably bad acting. Flashy directing and nice production design are also bonuses. This tired plot even still manages a few interesting twists (I won't reveal anything for those who haven't seen the movie, but lets just say everyone is not how they seem, including the bad guys).

FINAL RATING: 7/10 - As good as a cliched action flick can be. Semi-interesting characters, a few plot twists here and there, steady, interesting action, flashy directing, decent performances, plenty of cool explosions, exciting car chases, and numerous excellent violent death scenes. This movie is truly the creme de la creme of cheesy action flicks! Recommended for all action lovers!

Noob Aalox
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A dance of violence...
Nazi_Fighter_David19 April 2004
'Exit Wounds' begins explosively with a terrorist raid on the Vice President, who is surrounded by an array of police escorts…

When renegade Detroit detective Orin Boyd (Seagal) takes on the whole Michigan militant group to save the man's life, in true action hero fashion, he is punished for his lack of respect for authority and procedure and sent to one of the toughest precincts in the city of Detroit, the 15th…

Once there, Seagal begins his usual habit of investigating things he's not assigned to, and quickly begins to suspect police corruption involving a major heroin operation…

Seagal plays a super tough cop who stays in trouble for complaints filed against him for excessive force…

He lands in a bad dangerous precinct and before you know it finds himself in nonstop furious action, trying to clean up the streets while taking on drug dealers and dirty cops pretty much all by himself…

Seagal is accompanied in this film by rapper DMX and a few other familiar faces including Anthony Anderson who is absolutely hilarious…
34 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I loved it! A total blast!
mattymatt4ever4 August 2001
Anybody should know when you're getting ready to see a Steven Seagal movie you're not getting ready to see a Greek tragedy. What makes "Exit Wounds" special is it's all in good fun. There's no pretentions whatsoever. In fact, it even leaves a good share of the running time for comic relief. You have spectacular action in one corner...you have hilarious comedy in the other...what the hell more can you ask for?

Seagal hasn't made an action flick in a while, so it was great to see him again on the silver screen. He takes a lot of flack for gaining a little weight. OK, so he's heavier than normal. So maybe him and Sammo Hung been hanging out in the same buffet. But Seagal can still kick butt like he did back in "Above the Law" and "Hard to Kill." His action scenes are always fun to watch. As I tell people, I'm not easily aroused by action scenes. I can be just as bored by an action scene as one would get bored during an episode of "Masterpiece Theater." But Seagal's action scenes have a sense of originality and flare. Big deal. He's not the best actor. Does his work require great dramatic acting? Would a dramatic monologue be appropriate during one of HIS movies? Let's be sensible. I think people are way too hard on the man. He's still cool with me.

In the comedy department, we have the uninhibited Tom Arnold. Arnold plays the stereotypical cheesy talk show host, who takes anger-management classes with Seagal. There's a hilarious scene where Seagal loses his temper and throws a fit, yelling to the teacher "I'm a happy person!" with anger in his eyes. Then Arnold decides that Seagal would be a perfect guest for his show. Also, we have Anthony Anderson of "Me Myself and Irene" fame. He was one of the foul-mouthed African-American brothers in the Farrelly Brothers comedy. He gets an even bigger opportunity to flaunt his comic chops in this flick. In fact, him and Tom Arnold have a hysterically funny conversation at the end credits, so PLEASE don't be so quick to walk out the theater.

DMX is not a terrific actor, but he's fairly good. He proves his discipline as an actor in a more restrained role than his starring role in Hype Williams' "Belly." In that film, he pretty much portrayed a character out of all his rap videos. So that wasn't a big stretch. "EW" gives him more to work with. Not the role of a lifetime, but meatier than a drug-dealing "gangsta." And did I mention Jill Hennesy is in the cast? Oh...mannnnn! She is an absolute knockout! Perfect eye candy! Throw in a gratuitous strip club scene(which this film has), and we have the ultimate guy flick.

With DMX in the lead, naturally we have to expect some of his songs on the soundtrack. And he provides some good stuff. One--which was used in the previews and thankfully was used in the movie too--is a remix of "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone." It's quite innovative how they insert an artist's songs into a movie's soundtrack. There's also a scene where DMX is picking out a car and blasts on the stereo his song "Why Do Good Girls Love Bad Guys."

There isn't much depth to "Exit Wounds." In fact, I don't know if there's any depth. But a film like this is meant strictly for exhibition. And in that department, it really really delivers! It's exciting! It's funny! It's rousing! It's a thrill a minute! You won't be bored for a second! An hour and thirty minutes of sheer, uninhibited fun! "Exit Wounds" won't have you heading to the exit. In fact, you probably won't even want to go out for popcorn you'll be having such a great time! Strap in!

My score: 7 (out of 10)
31 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Seagal proved he still had it, then flunked out again
Shawn Watson16 May 2001
Despite Fire Down Below being a No. 1 hit in America, it went straight to video here in the UK and killed Seagal's career for four years. But then veteran action producer Joel Silver thrust Steve back in the limelight, put him on the Slimfast diet gave him slightly better material to work with. After all, an actor can only do as good as the script.

From a novel of the same name by John Westerman (but bearing minimal resemblance to it) the plot centers on Orin Boyd, a cop busted down to patrolman after a rough encounter with the Vice-President. Once on the streets Boyd's suspicious nose can't keep him out of trouble with undercover cops who are trying to bust local Drug Boss Latrell Walker…or so it seems.

There are many attempts at irony throughout the movie and surprisingly enough most of them work. Boyd is forced to attend rage control classes in which he meets eccentric TV host Henry Wayne (Tom Arnold) who becomes his wannabe partner. But sadly enough the classes don't work as Boyd continues to uses violence first, ask questions later. And there is a public service announcement too; Seagal survives a car wreck by airbag. A later car crash victim doesn't have one and dies.

Dozens of cop movie clichés staple the flimsy script together. And the bad guys are obvious from the moment they appear on screen. Bartkowiak's direction is better than in his debut Romeo Must Die, and adds a heavy dose of frenetic rush to such a fast-paced film. However the set-up and execution of the story is so dull you'll forget about it half an hour after the credits roll.

Seagal has learned a little, just a little, more in the acting area but still doesn't know how to express himself much. There's too much frowning and not enough other emotions from Boyd. We do want to feel more from him but he won't allow us. I guess this is just how Seagal is. He just can't get away from himself no matter what role he plays. I wish Seagal would try harder, but he just never bothers with making an effort.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Seagal rides with DMX ...to nearly perfect pitch...
Benjamin Wolfe18 February 2007
I took in this movie in the theater, in 01' surprised that Seagal was back with Warner Bros. after departing for a while. The first scene was kind of the beginning joke for the rest of the story. I was laughing when he took matters into his own hands and to avoid allowing the 'Vice" President to be killed in a firefight on the bridge with the impostor police officers that were there for a killing 'contract'. The 'Vice' Prez sort of looked like a cross between Al Gore and then 'future' now former Vice Presidential hopeful John Edwards all rolled into one. I laughed because the best expression that this 'Vice' Prez had on the bridge was...-clueless.

And from the exotic cars and the crazy players that brought game to the screen, this was a breath of fresh air, that year. I think that Steven Seagal played himself, as he always does but just like John Wayne and other big icons, that's what people generally go to see, these stars being the stars they are. I strongly felt that the action and confrontation between Seagal and DMX was a favorable match-up. Corruption in the heart of the downtown precinct. A couple of 'hood-ole'' boys to fight against and expose it. It's an age old tale, but they pulled this one off very well.

I recommend to action and martial-arts fans. This one is a lot of fun...(***)

Thx--IMDb.com
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Guilty Action Pleasure
MrP82318 February 2003
Pretty straightforward action flick that is absolutely ridiculous and yet I can forgive it. You see there was nothing I loved more as a child than watching the movie heros fight the bad guys and ultimately take them out to restore peace to the free world. However, somewhere in the mid-90's, these kind of films (which I have appropriately labelled "The Big Dumb Action Movies") became a lost art and gave way to newer more complex action thrillers. In some instances this was for the better and in other instances, let's just say you were left longing for the days of old when Johnny Rambo dashed acrossed a battlefield in the jungle with his extra powerful M-60 machine gun and mowed down some Commie scum. One of the men at the frontline of the old action genre movies was Steven Seagal. His older movies were an action fan's wet dream. They had lots of shooting, lots of brutal fight scenes, and the occasional trademark Seagal staredown. Nevermind the fact that the man couldn't act well even if his children were kidnapped and one of the ransom demands from the kidnappers was for not only $5 million dollars but also for Seagal to play at least one scene in a new movie with a different tone of voice and a different facial expression.

But the entertainment was there and when I saw "Exit Wounds," I was automatically thrown back into the mind of a young boy all over again. Here's a movie that gives an old fan of action exactly what they could ever hope for. Lots of martial arts, lots of great shootouts, and over the top stunts (maybe with a little bit of help from those damn cables and CGI but let us ignore this for the time being). This movie is a lot of fun and I was glad to see Seagal make a return to the kind of movie that people actually will pay to see him in, even if this is just a one time deal for the pony tail sporting Aikdo artist. If it is simple minded action you crave, then you can't go wrong with "Exit Wounds," which is really more of a throwback than anything. When you see the legendary action film veteran Bill Duke on the screen with those crazy eyes, you know you're officially watching a "Big Dumb Action Movie."
15 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another rapper in a movie? What? You say he's good?
chrisbrown645320 June 2002
`There are good cops and bad cops,' says Steven Seagal when asked about why he chose to star in the film.

The need for such a question, however, is unnecessary. Seagal will forever be known as one of our generation's top action stars. He's been on trains, submarines, and over speeding cars. His ability to dazzle his audience with every punch, kick, and flip earns him the title of one of our generation's most memorable action stars. Seagal is modest about his action power, however, and prefers to be thought of as a professional martial artist.

Whatever the case, his latest effort in Exit Wounds is another film in Seagal's library of adrenaline-rushing, macho-type films. Produced by Hollywood honch Joel Silver, Exit Wounds is a high-kicking, edge of your seat thriller that tells the story of a cop named Orin Boyd, sent to another precinct in the rough streets of Detroit, where nothing seems the same. Corruption, deceit, and betrayal lay only three lockers away.

Much like Seagal's enjoyment for his work in the martial arts field, Orin Boyd is a person who is genuinely proud of what he does for a living. All of his anger and frustration is a result of his disappointment with how little his job means. In one of the most powerful scenes of the movie, Boyd is shown hanging up his whistle after his demotion to a traffic director. A cop in Detroit is everything Boyd lives to be, and when his occupation becomes meaningless, so does his life.

Boyd isn't alone in his stance, however. When $5 million dollars worth of heroin disappears, there is an underlying truth to everything, but nothing seems to make sense. All fingers seem to point at Latrell Walker (DMX), a supposed drug dealer and one of the best.

DMX delivers the most engaging performance in Exit Wounds. Much like Boyd, Walker is a character that is typical in most cop films, but also one that the audience can identify with. As every actor should, DMX gives as much personality to Latrell as needed. DMX, as Latrell, shows genuine emotions for his family, his colleagues, and for what stands to be right. A perplexing character with his actions, Latrell definitely serves to grab the audience's attention.

Unlike traditional cop films, DMX and Steven Seagal are able to both grab hold of the spotlight of the film, but with their own unique charismas. Seagal and DMX's chemistry does not involve holding hands and dancing into the sun-setting horizon. It is a tense relationship between Latrell and Boyd, and as the movie progresses, the truths about one another are unraveled, with each character prepared to either fight, or work together, for whatever cause each one has.

Joel Silver is known for setting the bar with his films, both in the action and story sense. Some of the most incredible action sequences in Exit Wounds will forever be embedded in the Joel Silver legacy. Along with Silver's knack for blood rushing sequences, he is also known for pulling shocks and surprises in his pictures. Exit Wounds is the type of film where one must really keep his eye open, for he might miss an unexpected, but crucial, turning point in the movie.

As Steven Seagal's comeback film, he should be grateful that his first picture in the new millennium will forever remind his audiences and fans that he is, indeed, one of the best on-screen heroes of this past decade. As old clashes with new, his counterpart, DMX, has displayed his fresh talent on-screen and sets a challenge for him to take on new film's, with more demanding roles. In an age where hip hop and kung fu can co-exist in entertainment, Exit Wounds proves that films nowadays still have the potential of attracting just about anybody.
26 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't call it a come back....
kenandraf19 March 2001
Segal has been here for years and he has a lot of unfair critics becouse he is an unabashed liberal.He is a Budhist as well which ticks a lot of conservative USA's buttons.But with the growing open mindedness in the US population,Segal does not fade away.This action hero epitomises discipline and heroism.This movie was an average action movie but could have been a classic if the martial arts choreography was done better.There were a lot of cartoonish martial arts sequences that did not belong like DMX holding his own too much against Segal,DMX's shotgun trigger tied to belt sequences,and the like.The movie was very entertaining though and the comic relief was done well.Not the best Segal movie but certainly not the worst.Recomended for Segal fans,hiphop fans,action fans and cop movie fans......
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great action film
DunnDeeDaGreat19 March 2001
Steven Segal makes a great action comeback in this movie. His last good movie was Under Siege was his last okay movie was The Glimmer Man. This movie is about dirty cops and Segal is trying to bring them down. DMX who is one of the best rapper/actors is also a good co-star. The only let down for me was the fact that Steven and Micheal Jai White didn't have a longer fight scene. All in All this is one of Segal's best.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Welcome Back Steven Seagal
Theo Robertson29 April 2003
If there`s one thing I love about Steven Seagal it`s the hope he gives to humanity , no matter how untalented you are every man , woman and child on the planet can watch a Seagal movie and say " Wow , what a guy . A man whose talent has no beginning and he became a movie star . God bless the American dream "

***** SPOILERS *****

And what a comeback by Steven . EXIT WOUNDS opens with some fascist militia types trying to blow away a politician standing on an anti gun ticket , only to have our hero ride into the firefight and save the day . Ah but don`t be fooled into thinking this is another holistic PC thriller with ecological overtones because the rug is pulled from under our feet with Steven going after a bunch of drug dealing homeboy gangsters . Wow , what a change of pace for a man who makes ecological statement thrillers . Even more of an earthquake is the fact that EXIT WOUNDS contains a lot of humour at the expense of Steven Seagal . Has our hero found sophisticated post modernism ? Will he realise the irony of his initials being SS who `s made umpteen films where he blows away lots of fascists ? I`m telling you after seeing this film Mr Seagal has gone up in my estimation and Vin Diesel wins my vote as the worst action star Hollywood has ever produced
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good ideas. Bad production.
suspense1000323 February 2004
For a plot with a lot of potential and decent acting from decent actors, this film could have been much worse. Seagall played his typical role as a tough mouthed and tempered cop who can't comply with authority figures. DMX also stars as a supposed criminal involved in the drug game. I expected how Seagall's part would pan out, however i was surprised on how DMX's presence and acting were not horrendous, though not great. Overall great effects and some fun plot twists Exit Wounds not a bad film to sit down and watch.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
strong characters and Segal 's character is more grounded in reality than usual
disdressed1210 June 2010
for me this is one of Steven Seagal best movies that i've seen so far.but then again,he has a lot of help here.he isn't the main draw her in my opinion.i think he share that distinction(or at least he should)with rap artist turned actor DMX and,there is a roster of great actors in supporting roles.this film has more realism than any lone Seagal movie.Seagal is usually shown as an almost indestructible "Superman".he almost always comes out of a fight with little to no physical evidence of the fight having occurred.in this film,Seagal's character has some real fights on his hands.as for DMX,based on this film,he is really talented and has great charisma to boot.i think he is more than equal to the task at hand.he probably could have carried this movie on his own.another good thing about this movie is that there is some character development happening.the bad guys aren't just used as plot devices.at least i didn't think so.for me,Exit Wounds is a strong 8/10
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
For it's genre, this is a perfect movie!
bflatter19 February 2002
To me this is a Steven Segal REVIVAL! While some who have seen this may have been disappointed in the classic sense of what a good movie is, perhaps your standards were set too high. To me, this is a classic Segal film with some great urban elements. I thought that while DMX probably played himself for the most part, he was very cool. Segal really seemed to get back to his true form in this movie. I was getting tired of the political overtones in his previous movies. I think this movie brought back the good old "ass-kicking" that he is known for.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
action packed but little else
freeholidays22 October 2001
I had believed that Steven Seagal's exit wounds would be as good as under siege 2 which was his best film. Exit wounds does start well with a good fight scene but unfortunately the film lacks pace & too often wonders around going nowhere. IT could certainly have done without tom arnold who turns up as unwanted as a weak bowel.

DMX whoever he is seems comfortable in his role but I never really found out what his operation was. The bad cops in the film were good & there was plenty of decent action with them.

Steven Seagal once again proves himself as a top class actor with those scowls & frowns & that calmness he displays everytime he appears in a scene

Not a bad film but a liitle long
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Tempted to write a lot ...
roybatty-115 August 2003
... but won't. I am not a Seagal hater and actually like ABOVE THE LAW and most of his early 3-word-title films. Unfortunately those days appear to be well over. Best part of EXIT WOUNDS: Seagal's magic handgun in the opening battle that is re-dubbed with the sound of a Skorpion machine pistol. I had to rewind just to enjoy the mindlessness of this again and again. He actually shoots down a helicopter with a pistol. Those are some powerful sound effects ya got there, partner. I didn't think they did that sort of thing in movies any more. Ludicrous. Oh yeah and it is plain as day that DMX has no idea how to fight. I pity the editor who was saddled with the task of making him look effective in combat. After seeing this inane piece of drek, I think I'll take a pass on CRADLE 2 DA GRAVE and just rent a REAL Kung Fu movie instead.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Location Location Location
Bobby T15 October 2001
Typical Seagal movie. Someone pushes him around and he fights back. Always a good watch. There's a a few cool moves he makes, but don't expect too much from this movie. The plot moves quickly and really isn't that interesting. It's all about the fight scenes.

One thing that really got to me was the movie takes place in Detroit City but there's almost a Canadian landmark in each scene. "Welcome to Detroit AM" [CN tower in the background], Sky dome signs, Canadian food chains and even in the first few scenes there's filming right in front of City landmarks. Why not just say Toronto rather than Detroit?
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Watchable, but very forgettable Movie
mjw23052 January 2007
Seagal plays he usual style role of a renegade cop with no respect for authority. DMX is a gangster with whom Seagal teams up with to find out who has stolen fifty kilos of heroin from the vaults of a Detroit police vault.

The teaming up of a hard cop and a hard gangster in a different take on the buddy cop genre was a nice idea, but it raises too many plot flaws and the duo don't have the comedy timing to make it work well.

Exit Wounds does entertain with it's action and thrills, but its ultimately forgettable.

4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Is admitting you're a cop always a good thing?
Michael O'Keefe24 August 2002
High kicking, hard punching Steven Seagal is a renegade cop that fights police corruption inside the Detroit Police Department. Five million dollars worth of heroin is taken from evidence storage and becomes obvious that it is the work of crooked cops. Plenty of action, explosions and vivid fighting...obligatory for a Seagal movie. The very diverse cast includes:Isaiah Washington, Anthony Anderson, Bruce McGill, Tom Arnold, the gorgeous Jill Hennessy and an outstanding performance from rapper DMX. The story line and very good F/X take back seat to the dervish martial arts combat.

DMX not only plays a double roll in this tale of corruption in the toughest precinct of Detroit; but also is featured on the loud and hard hitting soundtrack. The highlight of which is a DMX remake of the Bill Wither's classic "Ain't No Sunshine.. When You're Gone".
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Average film, notable for a lot of missed potential
bob the moo20 September 2003
Made unpopular within his own precinct after embarrassing the vice president, maverick cop Orin Boyd is transferred to a notoriously difficult department. Once there he uncovers a group of dirty cops selling heroin to drug dealer Latrell Walker. However Orin finds it difficult to tell the good guys from the bad guys.

Despite having been let down by Romeo Must Die and Cradle 2 The Grave, I still was interested in seeing this film in the same sort of genre of hip hop/martial arts that seems to be doing the rounds of late. I didn't expect too much of it and maybe that's why I actually quite enjoyed it. I found the plot a little too poorly explained until late in the game and also it was a little overly unlikely, but this is a minor compliant. I was more interested if it was an exciting film with plenty of martial arts stuff.

Despite some moves being a little weak, most of it is actually pretty good if not great. Occasionally some of the wire work is badly done and the actors don't really look like they are moving gracefully – more that they are being pulled around by an unseen force! The film managed to not give Seagal too much to do and thus it never really had him looking silly. The actual fight of the film (Jai White and Seagal) is not dazzling but is impressive as White shows a great deal more agility than Seagal. DMX's skills are a little lacking and (as in C2TG) he doesn't fit the martial arts style of fighting – the scene where he faces up to Seagal exposes just how short and skinny a man he is!

Another reviewer said he would like to see comedy in this film because he thought it would have been better. I think he missed the point – there was lots of comedy in this film – just none of it was actually funny. Anderson does his usual comedy sidekick routine but is woeful as always. The best (worst) example of the film misjudging the comedy is the scene with Anderson and Tom Arnold that plays over the end credits – supposedly ad-libbed and hilarious, it is actually embarrassing and excruciating to watch! I agree with the other reviewer, I wish there HAD been laughs in this film.

Beyond those I have already mentioned, the cast is deep with well known faces – Duke, McGill, Mendes, Drag-On (!), Jai White and Washington to name a few. Sadly they are given very little to do and, rather than project cast depth, they only suggest an untapped potential. Overall, I still enjoyed the film as the action was actually pretty good for a Seagal flick. A word of caution would be that I was in a very forgiving mood when I watched this film and even then I still accept that it is average at best.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Steven Seagal is back....
helenaharrison29 November 2001
A decent enough action film with Steven Seagal looking better than ever in the title role. His partnership with rap star DMX is challenging, although Tom Arnold is on hand to provide the humour on occasion. The action is presented at an excellent pace, especially the opening 10 minutes, and the shoot-outs are quite spectacular. Also, the kung-fu/wirework action set pieces work well with Seagal's Aikido skills, and he does move about a fair bit in the film. The plot which involves police corruption, brings out the best in Steven Seagal, although his acting skills are hammy at best. Overall, a decent film, worth seeing more than once.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Exit Brains.
Python Hyena22 May 2015
Exit Wounds (2001): Dir: Andrzei Bartowiak / Cast: Steven Seagal, Isaiah Washington, DMX, Anthony Anderson, Michael Jai White: Scene after scene of violence with a title that seems to suggest my quick exit with a wounded intelligence. It opens with a scene that bears nothing to anything. Steven Seagal rescues a public figure and authority comes down on him for it. Seagal is sent to anger management seminars and suspects foul play regulated by members of the police force. He teams with Isaiah Washington to find answers as well as support the whole idea of this being the umpteenth bad buddy cop film. This all arrives at the ever familiar violent solution. Sloppy directing by Andrzei Bartkowiak who throws in the justified violence theme for good measure. Seagal isn't any different here than in any other film where he beats up countless people. The only difference is that here he seems to have an unlimited amount of handcuffs. In really awful supporting roles are Washington as well as DMX and Anthony Anderson. Michael Jai White appears in what is as bad as another film he did called Universal Soldier: The Return. What is even worse about this junk is how the audience reacted to it. In the screening I attended they howled with glee as someone's neck is impaled on a nail. They must have lost a sense of human decency. This film should be nailed and smashed with a hammer. Score: 0 / 10
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Far from great, but at least it's not Seagal's STD dreck he does these days
callanvass17 October 2013
Believe it or not, this movie wound up #1 at the box office when it was first released. Seagal's career was heading downhill fast, but this movie resurrected his career, and it became a hit. It made 51 million overall in the U.S. Seagal tried to replicate this formula with another hip ensemble cast in Half Past Dead by having another rapper (Ja Rule) but that bombed at the box office, and Seagal has been in STD hell, ever since. I'm honestly not sure why this became a hit for Seagal. It's certainly not bad, but there is really nothing all that special about it. It has plenty of lame comedy, thanks to the unfunny Tom Arnold, and some admittedly funny lines by Steven Seagal. It doesn't embarrass itself in the action department. It has a great opening, and Seagal does do some of his trademark bone crunching, and seems to be relatively in shape, unfortunately… Seagal's laziness was starting to commence as well. There are some laughable kickboxing moves, which do not seem to be coming from Seagal. The story itself is familiar. Seagal's "Orrin Boyd" character is a little bit like Serpico.

Orrin is a lone wolf, and wants to uncover cop corruption. Sound familiar? Seagal does seem at least somewhat invested into this project. He does have some funny lines, as I stated earlier in the review. I wouldn't call his performance great, but at least signs of his old charisma are here. There is a pivotal moment, involving a death of someone he is close too, and he seems only slightly concerned. I also didn't buy the forced attraction between Seagal & Jill Hennessy. It was always subtle, but it came across as quite awkward. DMX seems very uninterested in his role, and doesn't react to much of anything. He does have a twist which I didn't see coming, but he looked bored. Isaiah Washington does well as Seagal's partner. Anthony Anderson is terribly unfunny in his role. There is a scene between him and Tom Arnold at the end credits, which is supposed to be hilarious, because they are improvising on the fly. It came across as stupid, and unbearable. Michael Jai White has an OK fight scene with Steven Seagal in the finale. It was quite disappointing in all honesty. Tom Arnold's popularity has always befuddled me, and I felt his character was a waste of time. Bruce McGill & Bill Duke add decent support, whilst Eva Mendes is sexy, but that's about it. According to her, she was dubbed by another actress, and hated the film. I couldn't tell if she was dubbed or not.

Final Thoughts: I thought it was OK. It won't make your day, but it passes the time adequately. It has enough action to keep you watching for most of the duration. I would certainly recommend it over Seagal's STD stuff

5.3/10
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Seagal's funniest, a fairly good action/comedy film
gangstahippie25 February 2009
All Steven Seagal movies have some comedy in them.Seagal always has some funny one liners or some smart-alecky remark.Exit Wounds is I think his first film which is sort of an action/comedy.There's definitely more action but there is also more comedy than his usual films! The film also stars rapper DMX and Anthony Anderson(these two also appear together in the Jet Li films "Romeo Must Die" and "Cradle 2 The Grave").The plot features a cop who does not play by the rules and is sent to a ghetto precinct.While he is there, he tries to uncover corruption in the police force relating to drug dealers.The film is pretty interesting, it has a good plot and good acting.Overall a good Seagal movie.Some say it was his last good movie.Half Past Dead was nowhere near as good as this,I haven't seen many of his STV movies but Urban Justice & Pistol Whipped were also fairly good films.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"I'm a sh*t magnet." Routine Seagal action thriller.
Paul Andrews13 May 2008
Exit Wounds is set in Detroit where an attempt is made on the Vice President's (Chris Lawford) life, tough city cop Orin Boyd (Steven Seagal) takes it upon himself to single handedly save the Vice President & start World War III in the process. Boyd's bosses aren't happy, the secret service aren't happy & the Vice President isn't happy so as punishment Boyd is sent to work in Precinct 15, the biggest s-hole in Detroit & undergo anger therapy. Boyd is partnered up with patrol cop George Clark (Isaiah Washington) who quickly stumble across a plot by a gang of corrupt cops to steal impounded heroin from the police lock up & sell it, unsure of who they can trust Boyd & Clark have to go it alone dodging bullets as they try to clean up Precinct 15...

This American Australian co-production was directed by Andrzej Bartkowiak & one has to say that Exit Wounds is a pretty ordinary & routine action thriller about some one man army super cop bringing down some drug dealers. The script by Ed Horowitz & Richard D'Ovidio was based on the novel by John Westermann & feels like a mishmash of action film clichés cobbled together. There's the obligatory white cop black cop partnership which never actually goes anywhere, the lone maverick cop whose wife left him because of the job & has to go it alone to catch the bad guy's, the predictable plot twists, various fight & action scenes which have little relevance to the story, some awful comedy relief & a fairly routine Hollywood thriller plot about drugs. Nothing really gels that well in Exit Wounds, most of the events seem unconnected & somewhat random. To be fair to Exit Wounds though it passes 100 odd minutes harmlessly enough, it's certainly not the worst film out there & there's one or two memorably spectacular action set-pieces & there's a funny little nod towards the brutality of Seagal's earlier films in that his character is forced to go to anger management therapy in a fairly amusing scene which also pokes a little bit of fun at his weight & that he is getting fatter & fatter with each passing film he makes. Unfortunately to balance that amusing scene out the ending is truly dire with the two main comedy relief character's talking to each other & trying to be funny, a truly embarrassing scene. While there's nothing hugely wrong with Exit Wounds there's nothing that great about it either, basically it's fairly predictable Hollywood stuff saved by some impressive action scenes.

Director Bartkowiak does a decent job, the film looks nice with bright cinematography, some nice angles especially during the opening shoot-out on the bridge, there's plenty of clean lines, fast sports cars, hip music & it has a bit of style about it. The action scenes save Exit Wounds, from a huge shoot-out on a bridge to exploding cars to gunfights to martial arts fights to motorbike chases to car chases to all sorts of explosions, property damage & brutality. It actually looks like Seagal put some effort into the fight scenes in Exit Wounds, in fact Exit Wounds is probably the best film Seagal has made during the twenty first century & the last of his big budget Hollywood flicks with Warner Bros. While filming in Hamilton during the scene when the van rolls upside & skids along the street with everyone inside jumping out a stuntman died after the stunt went wrong, this scene was re-shot later which probably cost a lot since it's one of the more expensive looking action scenes in the film. Apparently filming was also delayed when actor David Vadim was arrested & charged with sexual assault by police on the set!

With a supposed budget of about $33,000,000 Exit Wounds did OK at the box-office taking about $20,000,000 during it's opening weekend. The film certainly has that big budget Hollywood polish about it & the production values are high & glossy. Set in Detroit but largely filmed in Canada. The acting is alright, Seagal is OK I suppose. When I first saw the credits & saw someone called DMX I thought isn't that a make of bike? But then I realised that's a BMX... Fine character actors such as Tom Arnold, Isaiah Washington, Bill Duke, Jill Henessey & Bruce McGill are all wasted in small roles but the films still definitely better for having them there.

Exit Wounds is a pretty routine action thriller that takes most of the Hollywood stereotype's & clichés & churns out a reasonable flick with which to pass 100 odd minutes. Exit Wounds is nothing amazing but it's not too bad & the action scenes provide plenty of bang for your money, neither the best action film out there or the worst.
I think it's awesome!
oyerbides28 August 2001
Okay, I am a Steven Seagal fan but it was surprisingly good regardless. I will definitely add it to my collection. The story has some humor and as usual a lot of fighting. Seagal even lets DMX get the better of him. Plus they really didn't try to tie him up with a female "love interest".