IMDb > Dude, Where's My Car? (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dude, Where's My Car?

Dude, Where's My Car? More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 48: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

This movie has zero comedic value

Author: nasher2123
20 November 2015

My friends coated me into watching this movie one night and I couldn't make it more than about thirty minutes in. I actually wanted to shoot myself. Not to kill, of course, but to injure myself bad enough that I would have gone to the hospital for an extended stay with plenty of drugs. Hopefully during my drug-induced state I would have been able to forget what it is I just saw, unfortunately I did not have a gun and the stupidity has been ingrained in my mind such that no amount of drugs could possibly save me now. This movie is not funny. There are indeed "stupid-funny" movies out there. This movie can only be considered purely stupid. And it begins with the lead actors, both of which are not funny. Ashton Kutcher is awful at everything he does, and this movie is no exception. Sean William Scott does nothing but grin his stupid grin with a cheap stoner facade laid on top and spew idiotic lines every now and again. There is absolutely no amount of praise that any actor in this movie deserves, and to give any kind of praise, to both the actors and the movie as a whole, would be to liken oneself to a rock. Correction, I think even a rock would be better at judging this movie than most people. At least you could count on a rock to not laugh. But the acting is not even the worst part. In the thirty minutes of the movie I watched, not once was I compelled to genuinely laugh. Of course a few cheap laughs were drawn from my throat, but that was only as a result of my friends laughing hysterically at the movie and my own nervous reaction to what I believed to be the loss of my friends' sanity. The set ups for the jokes make zero sense. They leave their house at the beginning and stand on the curb for five minutes going back and forth with "Dude, where;s my car?" "Where's your car dude?" "Dude, where's my car?" "Where's your car dude?" and so on and so forth given in the terribly portrayed stoner voices that fall flat. How is that funny? Indeed it is stupid, but stupid to the point that it is funny? Absolutely not. Repetition of the same stupid line over and over does not equal comedy. Then they visit their stoner friend with his stoner dog. WOW! HAHAHA a stoner dog! That's so funny! He's hitting a dog-shaped bowl! Oh wow that dog smokes pot hahahaha just like all of us this is so funny! Yeah lets focus on the stoner dog and not the shakily thrown-together plot that they are desperately and of-handedly trying to unfold before us. Of course I suppose coherent and reasonable plot is not necessary when people are only watching the movie for its stupidity value. The worst part of the movie that I saw was the Chinese food scene. That is NOT funny. Again, repetition of the same line over and over does not equal comedy. The scene drags on, and for some reason the longer it went the more my friends laughed. Why they laughed is beyond me. There was nothing funny about that. How can saying "and theeeeennn??" fifty times over be considered funny? It's not, its just stupid. This movie is an absolute waste of time, and yeah I realize that the people who enjoy these kinds of movies have absolutely zero regard for what it takes to make decent cinema, but I mean come on. The fact that people think this movie is even remotely worth a person's time really gives me doubts about our future. This is terrible. If you have not seen it yet and do not wish to waste your time on a stupid movie with horrible acting and tired, cheap jokes, avoid this movie at all costs.

A candidate for one of the most suggestive and scared films in history

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
10 June 2011

Quite a lot of punctuation in the title for a small minded and dopey stoner comedy like Dude, Where's My Car? which pairs the likable, but too toned down Ashton Kutcher and Seann William Scott as two buddies trying to piece together what happened the night before and answer the simple question "dude, where's my car?" The guys awake in their trashed apartment and realize that some event of uncertainty was conducted with their presence and they can't for the life of them figure it out.

Soon it isn't long before they are subjected to a group of scientists questioning the whereabouts of a tool known as a "Continuum Transfunctioner" which has the ability to destroy the universe as we know it. The boys also must find their car to assure their twin girlfriends get their anniversary presents the boys bought and, in reward, they will give them their "special treat." The premise is ultimately way too goofy and far out to be enjoyable. I would've liked it more if we got more Kutcher/Scott screen time instead of flashing back and forth to the girlfriends, then the scientists, then the "hot girls," then more scientists. I'm trying to figure out if this was a test of sanity amongst the audience or a test of fatigue.

What bothers me the most is how the film suddenly wants to focus a lot on the crude and sexual humor, but then almost limits itself from it. For example, there are numerous scenes conducted on the fundamentals of women's bodies. We have a group of, maybe seven, women following the boys around trying to get answers. They come in dark black outfits and are beginning to say in some scenes "let's show something." We all know Kutcher and Scott can be far dirtier than this writing. Kutcher can be vulgar and sometimes over the top like his character Kelso on That 70's Show (and he's not playing too much different of a person in this movie) and Scott worked on American Pie as the foul-mouthed and crude Stifler. Why doesn't the film make these guys into way more realistic and way more cruder guys? I can't believe I'm saying this but if you're going to make a comedy, a stoner comedy, make the characters vulgar and not as one dimensional. Not to mention their over use of their annoying catchphrase.

I thought for the first half an hour that Kutcher and Scott worked great as the "unlikely heroes" and came off as a live action Beavis and Butthead. However, the film gives them no dialog to work it and the whole movie is just one suggestive theme after another begging to go further than its PG-13 rating.

Dude, Where's My Car? is a very one note comedy that doesn't really want to tap into anything more than an average late night watch. I don't think this is the type of movie meant for criticizing. Regular audiences, mainly teenagers, will find most of the humor "hilarious." Most adults will find it annoying and relentless. I'm the ladder category that found it to be only funny when Kutcher and Scott were on screen. The rest of the time I was just trying to keep in tune with the arbitrarily constructed science-fiction plot leaching onto the film. This is a film about piecing together what happened the night before. It isn't called Dude, Where Did You Leave that Totally Weird Space Thing? We Could Totally Use it Right Now! Also, the big question is never answer. And it isn't the title question. It's the second most asked question is the film - what the hell happened that night?...

Starring: Ashton Kutcher and Seann William Scott. Directed by: Danny Leiner.

Idiocy is Classic !

Author: ahmed elshikh (ahmed_abd_elreheem@yahoo.com) from Egypt
19 April 2011

Here (Dumb and Dumber) meets (The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension) rightly. It's mild fun, clearly made by couch potatoes, namely good viewers. It celebrates watching TV, old movies, and idiocy. Idiocy as doing nothing but watching TV and old movies !

Some said it's a "Hangover movie". Well, I don't like the term. It's a buddy comedy for the 1990s, where the 2 buddies are dumber than each other. But this time it has a loose and funny fantasy factor. I loved that script. The crazy ride it goes through, the teams it creates, and even the homage to the 50s movie (Attack of the 50 Foot Woman).. All of that formed such a special world that catches me every time. Sure imagination is a reason for this movie's singularity.

The loyalty for the leads' adolescence is beautiful. It belongs to this phase in everyone's life in which the time is being passed between laughs, mistakes, dreams of love, and many many incomprehensible matters. Thus being a teenager equals being an idiot someway or another. However while enjoying the sweet times of that, the movie doesn't forget making heroes out of those dudes (or duds !) to deserve the girls and the car at last. So the "car" could refer to some kind of lost maturity, and accordingly the title (Dude, Where's My Car) could mean something like (I'm losing my mind !). Actually the notion of this movie as one with deep anything is laughable, but that's what it could reach.

Of course there are many turn-off moments. Filth is essential in the American comedies lately. Moments like watching the 2 leads kissing are so cheap and emetic. I watch the censored version for that matter !

Generally it is as colorful, light and sugary as cotton candy. It evokes nostalgia for the creativity and the bohemianism of the middle-class teens (that me and my friends were). It declares that rap music videos, cheesy old movies, pizza are idiot pastime for idiots, however that idiocy produced classic pastime. And finally, it assures, more than anything, that watching Discovery channel can save your life !

Incredibly Funny!!!

Author: Pumpkin_Man from United States
21 April 2010

It had been a long been a long time since I watched this movie, and it's still very funny and awesome to me. I forgot about a couple of things. Two stoners with hangovers named Jesse and Chester wake up and can't remember anything about what happened the previous night. They receive a phone call from their angry girlfriends on their anniversary and try to find the gifts that they had gotten them. When they realize it's in a car that's nowhere to be found. Throughout the day, they must deal with hot chicks, creepy space dorks, look for the Continuum Transfunctioner, find the money for a transsexual stripper and much more. I have just one question; DUDE, WHERE'S MY CAR?!!!

That title says it all as our likable losers set out to find their car. And then?

Author: tyler-and-jack from Edinburgh.
9 April 2010

Ashton Kutcher and Seann William Scott play two wasters who wake up one morning, after a particularly heavy night out (it would seem), to find themselves with no memory of the previous night's events and one missing automobile (hence the title). Sound familiar? Yep, it's a premise that has been used before and after this movie to varying effect (most brilliantly, many would say, in The Hangover) but the fact that this movie stars both Kutcher and Scott and is designed primarily with a teen demographic in mind, or so it would appear, is probably enough to turn off many film fans.

That's a shame because Danny Leiner's movie is a whole lot of fun for those who can take it in the spirit it was intended. It often appears to be nothing more than a celebration of stupidity but it's actually one of those "cleverly stupid" comedy movies I often end up liking the most.

Kutcher and Scott are a lot of fun in the lead roles and are ably supported by the likes of Jennifer Garner, Kristy Swanson, Andy Dick in a cage and . . . . . a Chinese Food drive-through speaker.

The plot starts off silly and just gets progressively more so, including the eclectic additions of an alien-worshipping cult, a gender-challenged stripper, ostriches, forgotten tattoos, a continuum transfunctioner and even a super hot giant alien. How can you resist?

See this if you like: Beavis And Butt-Head Do America, Harold And Kumar Get The Munchies, Dumb & Dumber.

Funnier Every Time You See It!

Author: lisa-kevin3531 from United States
26 August 2009

This movie just grew on me. The first time I saw it the only part I laughed at was the Chinese food drive-thru scene, which made me laugh so hard it hurt. Having seen it quite a few times since (my kids watch it over and over) I now find most of the movie to be quite amusing. Yes the film is stupid, but deliberately so. Giving this film a bad review must mean you lack a sense of humor. No wonder it's developed a cult following. I can just imagine how much fun the actors and crew had making it. Life's too short to take everything so seriously all the time. This movie proves that a little idiocy is good for everyone! I guess you could say this is a slightly watered down modern day version of Cheech and Chong.

Where's your car, dude?

Author: jd-43 from Ohio
8 March 2009

As I submitted my rating of 5 (sorry, lovers) I noted the demographics of user ratings. My segment should theoretically like this movie better than everyone else, because we're the guys who were teenagers when it came out. I saw it when I was 19; I wasn't a fan, but I listened to the commentary track, and realized how many details were cut from the movie to get the PG-13 certificate. Many years later, I found it on broadcast television. Now the "edited for television" version has some additional cuts and ADR lines to secure a network-friendly edit. Chop once for the MPAA, chop twice for MyTV. I'm finding some parts truly funny, but then I wait and wait for something else to happen. It's not consistent enough at anything for me to consider it "well-done". The under-18 segments rated it higher than the males 18-29. A laugh-out-loud moment came when I realized that six times as many males than females had submitted a rating. We dudes may not love the movie, but at least we watched it.

So where's your car dude?

Author: Sandcooler from Belgium
16 February 2009

This movie just doesn't really know what it wants to be, and it doesn't even seem to care as long as the profit's any good. It tries to have some kind of edge but they always have to cut back on the raunchyness very quickly because apparently they really had their heart set on a PG-13 rating. So you have these stoners, but of course we don't actually see them do drugs, and for all we know they're just regular morons, who are constantly getting into situations because they're stupid and possibly stoned. The script tries to stay dynamic by putting in a far-fetched plot with a cult and a lot of sci-fi material and it pretty much works. Things get so silly you can't really hate the thing anymore. The leads are pretty goddamn annoying, but some gags do manage to be pretty good somehow. The scene with the Chinese restaurant was funny, to name one. Still, pick a direction and go with it. If you're going to write a movie with these basic ideas, at least have the guts to put your money on an R-rating instead of pulling up the hand-brake and aiming it towards teenagers. It's not too bad though.

The stupidest funniest film I've ever seen. Notice how there's no comma between 'stupidest' and 'funniest'.

Author: johnnyboyz from Hampshire, England
25 August 2007

I was afraid, I so afraid that about twenty minutes into Dude, Where's My Car? I said to myself "Oh God, this is the worst film I have ever seen." Thankfully, it didn't end up like a Son of the Mask or a Thunderbirds and miraculously managed to turn my opinion around somewhat from 'the worst film ever' to 'an average, brainless comedy'.

To have a film's title revolve around a funny quote the two dimwitted heroes of the piece state halfway through is a ludicrous enough proposition but what really follows is a singular line journey of events that range from the utterly bizarre to the totally random to the blatantly unfunny. Dude, Where's My Car? Is just a series of daft, unrealistic and meaningless events that make out to be connected in some way. The film is listed as a sci-fi but the film is so off the wall and random, including the scientifically fictitious events in this film just seem to blend in with any other happening and thus; make it believable that it could happen in this filmic world we're seeing.

Some of the comic examples used early on to try and get us to laugh include: an exchange at some traffic lights between a romantically linked couple (a sort of 'we go, you go' game), an event at their girlfriend's house that results in all their hard work of clean up becoming undone and an exchange with a Chinese 'fooooood' takeaway order box. These particular events unfold in a pretty meaningless and random order and I'm sure that you'd probably find yourself in funnier situations if you went out with a group of friends during the day for a random drive as I didn't laugh at any of these scenes.

There is one such scene in a strip club that is suspiciously open at lunch time hours where our two pothead heroes find themselves owing money to a transsexual stripper – although I laughed at this as soon as 'they' shouted 'where's my money?' in a rather masculine tone; it was because it took me by surprise more than anything else. It's here that a plot is becoming clear, that there is a back-story as to what happened last night and the film started to gain points with me instead of loose them. What follows after that is a further series of stupid, random events only this time I actually found myself engaging and maybe smirking now and again – suddenly we care because perhaps there is something at stake.

From here, it becomes more and more apparent that the sci-fi trick is going to aid them in showing us these dumb events as each get more and more bizarre. The fact several leather clad "hot chicks with big breasts" appear whom change their deal from 'find us the device and we'll give you erotic pleasure' to 'find us the device and we'll give you oral pleasure' could be slated as being the most basic of basic mistakes made but with the feeling of something at stake, these random and often unfunny occurrences seem to be leading somewhere – a feeling I wasn't getting twenty minutes in. I found the film to be so ambiguous; I actually cared what would happen in the end.

Dude, Where's My Car? will not be for everyone with some painfully unfunny and probably offensive to some material as well as some pretty shameless representations of Scandinavian, Chinese and French people; Dude, Where's My Car? let's its heroes get bullied about until they're right where it wants them and just lets random cause and effect situations play out – only recommended as a last resort.

Stupidity can be hilarious, but it can also be, well, just plain stupid

Author: Electrified_Voltage from Guelph, Ontario, Canada
5 August 2007

I remember seeing the trailer for this movie on TV, but didn't see the movie until years later. By then, I had known all along that it was an extremely silly comedy, and that the main characters were two idiots, but to me, movies like that CAN be very funny, so I gave it a try. Around the beginning, it looked promising, but for the most part, I did not laugh, and may have been disgusted by some parts! I eventually tried watching it again, but didn't think much differently of it.

Jesse Montgomery III and Chester Greenburg are two young stoners who go out partying one night, but when they wake up the following morning, they can't remember a thing about it! When they look outside, they discover that their car is missing, and they obviously can't remember what happened to it, so they go out to try and retrace their steps. Unfortunately, the missing car is only one of their problems! Last night, they trashed the house of their girlfriends, Wanda and Wilma, and don't have anniversary gifts for them, so Wanda and Wilma are obviously not pleased! In addition to that, a transsexual stripper demands that Jesse and Chester return her/his suitcase of stolen money! The two stoners even find the fate of the entire universe in their hands, and must find a device called the "Continuum Transfunctioner"!

There's a part early in the film where they go to the drive-thru of a Chinese restaurant, and when Jesse makes his order, he just keeps hearing "and then?" from the speaker box, even after he's finished making the order! That is probably the funniest moment in the movie, though the "Dude, what does my tattoo say?" "Sweet!" What about mine?" "Dude!" What does mine say?" "Sweet! What about mine?" joke is also a highlight. Apart from those two gags, there aren't too many notable ones. Some of the "gags" may even be close to terrible, such as the transsexual jokes, and the interaction the "hot chick" aliens have with a student at a school for the blind. It also seems that combining "Dumb & Dumber" with the sci-fi genre wasn't such a good idea.

I get this slight feeling that maybe I'm being a little too harsh rating this movie less than a 5/10 (I'm not 100% sure), but I see no reason why I should give it a rating any higher than 5. Even if you like comedies about two idiots on a silly adventure, this movie could easily disappoint you, except maybe if you watched it while, let's say, under the influence. If you watch it while sober, the chances of you enjoying it may not be as slim as I might assume, but definitely not as good. In conclusion, more thought probably could have been put into "Dude, Where's My Car?".