IMDb > The New Guy (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Crazy Eyes!

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
10 May 2002

So back when I was in high school The New Guy was released and my best friend and I saw it together, all I could say was that I wanted to pull a Dizzy, re-vamp my whole act for the school, we can all dream, right? But anyways onto the movie, The New Guy is actually a really funny high school comedy that is sure to deliver a few good laughs. I think the reason why is because of the cast, it looked like they just had a blast making this movie and made it completely entertaining. While it's definitely not the best acted or stands out against all other high school comedies, this formula worked and DJ Qualls truly made the movie into something special. He and Eddie Griffin were great for The New Guy, a new twist on the typical high school tale of freaks, geeks and beautiful people.

Prison inmate, Luther tells us the story of Dizzy Gillespie Harrison, a 18-year-old high school senior and nerd. Dizzy is friends with Nora, Kirk and Glen, and attends Rocky Creek High School, where he is picked on by star football player Barclay. This occurs before and after Tina Osgood causes him to have an erection, which the school librarian accidentally breaks. Dizzy is misdiagnosed with Tourette syndrome; he is then illegally placed on medication by the school counselor. While at the mall's food court, Dizzy makes a fool of himself and gets arrested. In prison, Dizzy meets Luther, who turns out to be a sympathetic ex-victim who makes it his goal to teach him how to be cool. In an attempt to wipe the slate clean, Dizzy gets himself expelled from his old high school, then undergoes a makeover with the help of the prison inmates. Changing his name to 'Gil Harris', he enrolls at East Highland High and makes an impression by being dropped off in a prison van and beating up the school bully, Connor. The action has an intended effect, and head cheerleader, Danielle, welcomes the newcomer to school. Everything goes to plan, he's cool, popular, and everyone looks up to him… little does the school know what Diz actually was at one point.

I really did enjoy The New Guy, I still love watching it today. There are a lot of great bits, but I think what my friend and I always have a great time watching is when the prisoners are teaching Dizzy how to be tough, especially when Luther teaches Diz "the crazy eyes". This movie has a lot of memorable moments in it, I don't know if it's enough though for The New Guy to stand out as a classic high school comedy. But I do recommend it if you get the chance, it has a great soundtrack, a cool story and fun characters. Diz definitely made Madonna run for her money with his new re-invention of himself.

A movie lovers movie

Author: deppland
25 April 2002

If you are expecting another teenage gross out film, you'll be surprised to find out that this is a cleverly disguised sweet movie about trying to fit in that cold cruel world called high school. This movie is filled with surprizes for movie buffs...and keep your eyes open for alot of surprize cameos. And when the credits start to roll, stick around for the out takes. You will smile all the way home.

well, it's another high school movie....loser wins!

Author: little_bear777 from SGF
12 May 2002

If you want a movie that's realistic, look somewhere else. If you want a cute film, where the losers come out on top, this is a pretty good movie. Dj Qualls is becoming a really good actor, and he's got the role of the geek nailed. Patten that boy for this part. There are some choice moments in this movie that make it better then some, and Vanilla Ice is in it...how cool is that? That's actually what makes this movie so great. The cameos. there are some major rockers in this that will refresh the screen at times (towards the end).

It's not about the story. It's about the fun.

Author: Sigmoid Flexure from Boulder, Colorado
29 January 2006

A lot of people will say the plot of this movie was lame, predictable and dumb and yeah, they're right. But this kind of movie isn't about a brilliant plot. It's about interesting characters and silly gags and parodying those more serious types of movies. There are some funny lines, sight gags and slapstick, some cute girls, the bad guys get what's coming to them and the good guys win. Throw in some surprising celebrity cameos (some of which you might not catch until the credits roll) and a great soundtrack that mixes old and new songs and that's what I call entertainment.

The cast is noteworthy too. DJ Qualls, of course, Zooey Deschanel (the chick from Elf), Eddie Griffin, Lyle Lovett, Jerod Mixon, Parry Shen, Matt Gogin etc. did a fine job. If you can watch a movie without being hypercritical about how "bad" it is, then get this, sit back a have some laughs

Dorky, funny, Cool

Author: Tristan_mi from Michigan, United States
20 May 2002

Ok, this movie is so funny. It skips the cheap humor of farts, and sick jokes and creates a situation that is funny on its own. Its original, and fresh on the coming of age genre of movies. It somewhat leaves the coming of age movie, and goes more towards comedy. I like how they had a few elements of other movies, yet it remained original and funny. Crazy Eyes kept being funny, the outcomes and situations that happens at times on their own, are funny! Nice cameos, and a nice paced movie. i will be adding this movie to my collection and will love to watch it a few more times.. Its funny!

Hilarious and a Great Cast!!

Author: kippardue_luvr21
11 May 2002

'The New Guy' seems to stand out from all the other teen movies. When you go to see a teen movie, it is usually about the most popular kids in school and how they try to get laid. Though this movie shared some qualities of your normal teen movie, it had certain aspects to it that made it stand out from all the rest. I think it was the star studded appearances in the movie such as Tony Hawk, Gene Simmons of KISS, Vanilla Ice, Tommy Lee, Jurmane Dupree (spell??), David Hasselhoff, Horatio Sanz of SNL, and Jerry and Charlie O'Connell. What A cast! And of course DJ Qualls and Eddie Griffin were a hilarious on screen duo! 'The New Guy' certainly stands out from your average teen movie!!

as good as these movies can be

Author: werbler from vegas
21 January 2004

just when you think they are going to go overboard with the dork vs jocks and dissing his old dork friends conflicts, they don't, thank you. Plus, more often than not, the main villan does not even take that big of a role and his friends and girlfriend make him look like the idiot that he is. Because of these reasons,this movie is totally enjoyable and easy to watch.

DJ Qualls sure know how to to act strangely and funny.

Author: Johan Rasmus Eira (elgen@cheatcc.com) from Karasjok, Norway
18 May 2002

I saw this movie about 2 weeks ago and i must say that i was impressed by DJ Q's acting as Gil Harris / Gale Harrison! Ross Patterson also was acting like a modern high school thugstah... Anyway, this movie made me laugh like i havent laughed since American Pie 1 & 2! :) This is a kinda classical teenage movie, worth to watch! Lets just hope that they make a New Guy 2 or something.. ;)

A real feel good movie

Author: ash scott from Scotland
30 August 2002

The New Guy, is just one in a long line of feel good movies, and this one has something for everyone, its funny, romantic, and has poetic justice, what more could you ask for?. Excellent acting from Eliza Dushku and DJ Qualls, is there anything his character cannot do to make himself look cool, Dushku is the girlfriend you want the school bully to have, she stands up to him, and puts him down at every opportunity. Overall its a super movie, if you want a laugh and to to watch something that'll make you smile, then watch this one. And dont forget to keep watching at the end, the out takes are worth watching.

A funny enjoyable Teen Comedy

Author: MovieManMenzel from United States
19 November 2003

The New guy was a movie that I had mixed feelings about. One part of me thought the movie was going to be just another piece of teen garbage and the other half actually had hope for the film. I am very happy to say that the film was actually very good. This movie is not your average teen movie of coarse it does have a few sexual references but it doesn't go overboard with the sex jokes. The most important element of the film was its meaning which is believe in yourself and don't let the people around you control you. The plot wasn't too original but I enjoyed the film very much.

The film stars DJ Qualls as Dizzy Harrison, and his three friends Nora (Zooey Deschannel), Glen (Parry Shen), and Kirk (Jerod Mixon) who are just entering their senior year of high school. Dizzy and his friends have always been the geeks of the school and been the target of humiliation. So one day Dizzy gathers up enough courage to talk to one of the cheerleaders at the school. He actually succeeds in this goal but the cheerleader caused him to become aroused which in itself isn't too good. The next problem occurs when the cheerleader's boyfriend comes over and asks him what he is doing talking to his girlfriend. Dizzy is then humiliated in front of the entire school by the boyfriend punching him and then a hall monitor grabbing Dizzy's private area and pulling him into the principle's office. He is now so embarrassed and doesn't want to ever go back to school. So Dizzy freaks out in a fit of rage and goes to the mall and takes the microphone from the church quire and starts talking about how bad his life has been.

This then gets him thrown into prison where he meets Luther (Eddie Griffen), who was also the loser kid in high school. Luther then explains to Dizzy how to get expelled from the school so he can go into another High school and start over with a new image. So he gets out of prison and goes back to school and tries to get himself expelled by pulling many wild stunts. He then goes back to prison where he learns the ropes of how to succeed in high school as the `cool guy'. He changes his name to Gil, which is his middle name and starts fresh at the new high school. He embarrasses the most popular guy the first day and everyone falls in love with the New Guy! Gil gains respect from the main cheerleader at this new high school (Eliza Dushku) and starts a relationship with her. Gil feels great at first until he gets so popular and forgets about his 3 buddies who he has known since he was little. Gil finds a way to encourage the new school that his friends are just as cool as him. Gil then helps raise the school spirit by encouraging the football team to win games. Everything is going well for Gil until the football game between his new school and his old school occurs. This then causes a huge problem. The bully from the first school and the bully from the new school get together and find a way to destroy Gil's reputation.

The film gives off a very good soundtrack with a mixture of many different types of music. I especially liked Dizzy's & his three friends' band who sounded awesome in my opinion. I think they should really go out and get a record deal because their music rocked. So as you can tell from the brief description of the movie, it does try to have its sexual jokes but aren't very offensive or sick like other teen movies. But most importantly to me is the end the film, which made a very good point. The movie was a very fun ride for me and I seen it many times already and enjoyed it after ever viewing. My final rating for the New Guy is an 8/10

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]