Doctors (TV Series 2000– ) Poster

(2000– )

14 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
wonderful show
DouMarNutBle7 May 2005
'Doctors' is one of the best shows currently on British television. most shows on at the minute have hardly any realistic storyline or a high quality of acting whereas 'Doctors' has all of those.

the interaction between the actors on the show is wonderful and you can almost see the bond between them especially Stirling Gallacher (George) and her on-screen husband Sean Gleeson (Ronnie).

wonderful story lines keep this show fresh and interesting, each episode throws up something different weather it happens to be a patient storyline or something to do with the doctors, there's always something going on that'll surprise you.

hopefully this show will run for many more years and bring joy to more people.
24 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Doctors - Summary
hussain_aisha_uk22 March 2008
Doctors is a drama serial about a group of doctors and other staff working in the fictional town of Letherbridge regarding their day to day lives and problems which may occur. There are 10 main characters who are shown in the opening credits, however there are many other recurring actors and special guests who make frequent appearances. This TV serial has been running for more than eight years with its success getting better with the show being awarded several awards in the past few British Soap Awards. Doctors is now one of five British soaps in the categories of the British Soap Awards being in front of other soaps such as Brookside, Family Affairs etc. The timing of Doctors is in the afternoon yet enjoy a modest success rating. I for one am lucky in that I am able to record on Sky plus and watch in my convenience.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
In spite of myself I like this show
beresfordjd13 February 2010
In spite of myself I like this show!! Yes it is rubbish, trite and soapy but I do enjoy it. It does not pretend to be high art or searing drama-it is what it is. One issue with this series is the believability. I have never known doctors to visit patients unbidden like they do in "Doctors". Every five minutes they are round at their patients' homes ministering to them and giving out advice, not telling them to keep taking the tablets etc like real doctors do. Some of the actors in this series are really quite good (usually the more experienced ones) the younger ones are obviously quite green. The story lines are becoming more bizarre as the series progress!! I have only just started watching it, about 3 months actually. There has been a Columbine-type shooting script (quite well done ) and a Misery-type one which just seemed too much! I would not be surprised if the Beeb move it to the evening schedule as some of the stuff is not really suited to daytime telly.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good grief!
haupei26 April 2010
Shot on a budget of 30 pence per episode, Doctors tells the story of the most peculiar GP surgery in all the land. "The Mill", as the surgery is called, exists in what appears to be so kind of post-apocalyptic England - I say it's post-apocalyptic because I have never seen such a depopulated place as Letherbridge (the town/city where the programme is set) - the surgery receives a maximum of 2 patients per day (you don't need to make an appointment, just rock up and demand to see the doctor of your choice immediately), the university appears to have no students and, whenever they're in the towns only bar, no other customers or members of staff are ever visible. This lack of patients enables the doctors to go on mad missions every day, visiting their only patient's house and sorting out any problems that they may have. The programme is so unrealistic that one wonders why they bothered to base it around a GP surgery, something that most viewers would have plenty of experience of. Seriously, the plot lines are absolutely mental - I suspect that they are created by the producers scrawling words on pieces of card and swirling them around inside a tombola machine before picking a few out and using them to string together some semblance of a coherent story. For example, last Friday's episode was created by picking the words "angina", "Los Angeles", "Down's Sydrome" and "phone sex". Basically, it's mental and, as the TV in my work's reception is permanently set to BBC1, I'm forced to endure it 5 days a week.
14 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Worst BBC TV Programme in memory
robwedekind28 July 2015
Absolutely terrible waste of public money. Acting worse than a primary school stage show at Christmas. On at a prime spot in the middle of the day I do not know how it has managed to survive as long as this. The story lines are far fetched and acting is just a bunch of z-listers who bought their equity cards off ebay. This review only warrants about ten words to remind you not to watch this garbage, but sadly IMDb require 10 lines of text for a review to be posted, so here is some space filling poetry. Mary had a little lamb, His fleece was white as snow, And everywhere that Mary went, The lamb CaLLed HeR a HO. He followed her to school one day, Which was against the rule, It made the children laugh and play an tAKe a DuMP In THe PooL. And so the teacher turned it out, But still it lingered near, And waited patiently about, Till Mary did appear. "Why does the lamb love Mary so?" The eager children cry. "Why, Mary loves the lamb, you know." The teacher did reply. BAAAAAAA!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the best for study days!!!
fudge_factory2 June 2009
i love doctors, admittedly not due to the (un)realistic story lines but due to the fact it is in good fun. and highlight lots of important social and health issues.like Vivian's rape and Ruth's breakdown.

and like cake it is very morish!!!!!!!!!!! i like the relationships as well, like that of Heston and lily.also that of cherry and the very fit Simon although unfortunately it would appear it will emerge that he is gay :(meaning that him and cherry cant be the sweet couple i want them to be!!! oh well i suppose i can still admire him and his floral shirts from afar! the perfect remedy for excessive study leave!!!!! so have a seat chill out and soak up the loveliness that is doctors
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Oh, it's not so bad...
owen_edwards8 May 2006
Yes, it's clichéd, and silly, and has dodgy camera work and sets reminsicent of Crossroads. I don't mind that much. Why not? Because of a few things. One, it is random daytime TV, light entertainment. Two, occasionally they manage to use the cliché that seems to appear in every episode (of the defiant visited patient) quite well. Three, there are/were some cracking actors in it, which outweighed for me the fact were/are some terrible ones. Mac himself, and previously Ben, were both played beautifully, and the gay one (who I do not know the name of) is done well.

So yes, it's okay. Don't be so harsh on it, guys! It must be said, all the females in it are played terribly and are ugly.
13 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great lunchtime entertainment
Martin Adams20 November 2015
If only my local GP's surgery was like this, patients manage to get in, manage to see a Doctor and are greeted by a smiling receptionist. Its clear therefore that Doctors is a work of fiction, but its easy viewing. So often its thought provoking and engaging, many of the stories are believable and I'm sure based on real life happenings. It can be quite funny at times too its been a bit more serious for the last year. Doctor Carmichael makes the series for me. I almost wish this was on early evening, it would be suitable viewing for the 7 or 8 o'clock time slot. It's nice to watch a show on telly thats not full of bad language and unnecessary violence.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What on earth?
radiodiffusion20 January 2010
This is one of the strangest things on TV. It is set in a bizarrely underpopulated Midlands superb called Leatherbridge which seems to be the dullest place in the country. It features a bar with no visible staff or customers, a university with no students, a police station with no criminals and a doctors' surgery with more doctors than patients. The story lines are dire - every episode revolves round a bizarre medical issue acted out by a variety of brummie extras who can never actually act, and for some reason the doctor always ends up round their house solving their problem. Pretty entertaining for its pure comedy value, but I cannot believe that this thing actually masquerades as a serious drama. Bonkers.
6 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
BBC Propaganda at its best
sbz-3752113 October 2016
**Possible spoilers (if such a thing is possible with this 'show)**

While on the treadmill at the gym today, a BBC drama show called Doctors was on the screen in front of me, - I usually switch to a podcast rather than watch the screen, but I was transfixed by a masterclass in all that is worst about the BBC and its politically correct liberal bias. The central character appeared to be a white woman converted to Islam and wearing a full veil, - not sure what she was doing at the hospital where the 'show' was set, but anyway, she was quickly verbally abused by a 'typical' Gordon brown-type bigoted woman, who accused her (falsely, obviously) of stealing money from the hospital, and then of hiding behind the veil, at which point the noble Muslim woman removed the veil only to show disfigurement from an acid attack by a member of her family (a non- Muslim, naturally) by way of disapproval for marrying a Muslim. The Muslim side of her family by contrast, after initially disapproving now have taken into their bosom. While this was going on, of course in the background every race imaginable was rubbing along perfectly. I gave up my treadmill efforts by this time, feeling extremely nauseous. The episode is entitled 'Veiled' and can no doubt be seen on iplayer should anyone wish to be similarly nauseated.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this