IMDb > Chocolat (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chocolat

Chocolat More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 50: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

I loved it

Author: manyblackbears from United States
25 June 2006

This is an excellent movie. Juliette's character is wonderful and of Course Johnny Depp makes a great Gyspy vagabond. I have watched this movie over 6 times already and never get sick of it,There is something mysterious that keeps drawing me to watch it again and again. It is funny, warm, and very interesting from start to finish. The Chocolate makes you drool with hunger. Everyone will enjoy this movie.Even my husband, who normally likes action and thrillers sat through the entire movie and said he enjoyed it. I would have to say that this movie was Juliettes best performance and definitely deserved and Oscar for it. Take a chance and watch it as you will be pleasantly pleased.

A very tasty piece of cinema.

Author: theshadow908 from London, Ontario
19 February 2006

In 1959, a single mother opens a small chocolate shop in a small town in France. People enjoy the chocolate, but the shop comes under fire when it stays open during lent, causing temptation among the townspeople.

Chocolat has an awesome story that is kept in balance with everything going on in the town it takes place in. The movie doesn't solely focus on the problems the woman (well played by Juliette Binoche) is having with her chocolate shop, but also with the town's mayor, an abusive husband, a woman's relationship with her mother, and a band of gypsies that come passing through. All of these unconnected events are inextricably linked through the chocolate shop that opens in the town. I like how well the movie flows with a nice blend of comedy and drama. Surprisingly, one of the most engaging things in the film is the woman's daughter's relationship with her imaginary friend, an injured kangaroo. My favourite character though is Roux, the gypsy that befriends the woman.

Everyone in the movie does a really good job in their roles. I could watch Johnny Depp sleeping and still enjoy his performance, so I naturally liked him in this movie. I found Alfred Molina pretty funny as the mayor of the town. All in all, this is a really good film worth checking out. If nothing else, it will make you hungry.

Cute but deep romantic film

Author: Frank Oosterom (f.oosterom@yahoo.com) from Netherlands
6 January 2006

Ever since The English patient hit the screens, the charmingly Juliette Binoche is to be enjoyed thoroughly in whatever film she appears in, but in Chocolat, where she roams around as a nomadic one child-mother in her home country France, she gets more out of here performance than just cuteness.

Of course, the purpose of the film is a romantic one, with Johnny Depp easily fulfilling his character as a notable gypsy and romantic interest of Binoche, and Alfred Molina as the classic malefactor in this story of the powers of chocolate. But the well casted Binoche steals the show with her French savoir-faire on the subtleties of yearning and seduction.

Not seduction in a Sharon Stone way, A Kim Basinger or even a Jennifer Lopez way, but one that makes her a true believable girl next door, while still keeping that enigmatic secret, that every nomad seems to have.

While we must not forget the nice performance of the supporting actors (of which Alfred Molina and Judi Dench stand out), it is Binoche that shows how to incorporate a romantic story with a deeper layer, without getting corny or boring, although we all know where it's gonna end.

And that's where romantic films need to score: on a niche in the thematic material, or the characters of the romance, who want to be followed through their hurdles-taking.

Chocolat succeeds handsomely with this, which makes it recommended not only for enamored couples of any age, but of everyone who wants a taste of what gives people their energy in struggling for a place of their own.

If chocolate is considered to be evil... then... oh, boy

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
29 May 2004

I need some churching. "Chocolat" is a cute little town film. All about a woman who newly arrives into town and makes chocolate. When she turns down an invitation to church, everyone thinks bad things about her. They even consider her chocolate to be evil because it tastes so good. She befriends most of the townspeople. Excluding a few who don't like her at all. She even befriends the "rats" who sail in once a year. She happens to fall for one of them. But she is still pressured to leave due to her delicious chocolate.

The film is well done. The story is alright. But the acting takes it all. I would recommend especially for Johnny lovers.

Nice

Author: cyclonev from Perth, Western Australia
12 May 2003

It's hard to say anything else! The message of this movie is extremely straight forward and is made clear in the first few minutes. Nothing really comes along to enrich that message; everything potters along quite pleasantly to the obvious ending.

I didn't find this dislikeable (apart from the irritating accents - the m'sieurs and madames etc were pretty objectionable, until I kind of mentally blocked them out, but the worst was probably the American kiddies in the Sunday School who had no ability/made no attempt to sound the least bit French) but I didn't find it superb either. There are so many other films that have done this kind of thing better.

The sudden and quite absurd changes in personality that some of the characters underwent didn't seem to me to make sense in the context of the film. If it had been a bit more bizarre in general these unreal plot devices may well have been more believable.

My best recommendation for this film would be, if the mild sex scenes were removed, as a kind of slightly more mature 'Madeline' for kids, or perhaps young teenagers. If you like films that are quite pretty, quite innocuous and potter along in a friendly manner, this one's certainly for you!

Nauseating preaching disguised in a beautiful painting

Author: the_mysteriousx
20 February 2001

I gave this film a 1 out of 10 and that is for the fine technical work in it. The film does nothing but beat you over the head with a politically correct "open your mind" stick right from the get-go and never lets up. There is absolutely no dealing with issues. I am not a Christian, nor am I a big fan of Christianity, but I felt for them in this film because they were given little to no respect. We as the audience see the Christian characters as stupid, dull and short-tempered. Juliette Binoche's character, however, is righteous and the movie makes absolutely NO attempt to delve into her philosophy. We are supposed to accept that she is simply right and the townspeople are sleepwalking, only to be awakened by the vessel of her enlightening chocolat.

Once again in a Hollywood film, Christians are characters who are single-minded and convenient foils for the open-minded and therefore correct heroes of the film. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that either side is right, but the filmmakers don't give the traditional Christians even a voice of respect and then slap them in the face by having the Christian priest speak about how he felt they should forget about the divinity of Christ and regale in his humanity. I thought the film might bring up issues for discussion, but instead it was absolutely nothing but bull-headed, incredibly repetitive and boring.

Yes, a great film to be a part of visually, but those visual gifts disguise an un-daring, bland story. Thumbs down.

Have a bite of delight

Author: Alexander Extazy from Italia
4 May 2015

Every chocolate baked in the store has its own pleasure in it. This is one of the best movies that Depp has acted in (storyline- wise I mean).

Two strangers moving in to a new town in the middle of France is an aspiring story of entrepreneurship.

With a great combination of talent, desire, and ambition; this young single mother managed to push through the incumbency of a small city's arrogance and embrace the entire city with her delights.

Such is the story of any ambitious entrepreneur who wishes to swim in seas full of sharks; in this case the shark is an arrogant official who must have been breastfed too much or not enough.

Despite all the blockages, this young woman managed to gain the city's respect (including the official) by her astonishing business.

Great plot and story from start to finish. Too bad movies like that don't exist anymore.

So many awards and romantic plot

Author: Sanjhbati M from India
3 August 2014

The film was nominated for five Academy Awards, including Best Picture. It was also nominated for eight BAFTAs, and four Golden Globes & 29 nominations. Judi Dench won a Screen Actors Guild Award for her performance in the film. Story- Chocolat is a 2000 American-British romance film based on the novel of the same name by Joanne Harris, and was directed by Lasse Hallström. Adapted by screenwriter Robert Nelson Jacobs, Chocolat tells the story of a young mother, played by Juliette Binoche, who arrives at the fictional, repressed French village of Lansquenet-sous-Tannes with her six-year-old daughter and opens La Chocolaterie Maya, a small chocolaterie. Her chocolate quickly begins to change the lives of the townspeople, and shakes up the rigid morality of the community. It scored more than 6 according to the critics.

I was craving chocolates after seeing this flick that is for sure

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
25 February 2013

This is basically one of those movies where someone comes into contact with a group of people and changes their lives. Except chocolates involved this time around. And goes in a fairytale like direction. Although it's a very predictable movie it has that warm and sweet sensation to it. Yeah, Johnny Depp is in this movie but he isn't even in half of the flick. And just there as a love interest and a character to bring out more of the human side to the main protagonist. Johnny basically plays somewhat of a pirate in this before "Pirates of the Caribbean" flicks he stars in. And he plays a friendly, romantic pirate like someone like that exist. But this movie will be mainly known for having Johnny Depp in it. There is also quite a bit of religious prospects in this movie. And deals with judgmental and narrow minded people in a small village. Run by a very judgmental and narrow minded mayor. And the small village people exist but isn't really living. And a woman comes to that village with her daughter and changes that. And the woman is a expert when it comes to making chocolates and a good cook as well. And her talents changes the village. Overall it's a sweet drama fairytale that is worth seeing once. One thing for sure, I was craving chocolates after seeing this movie. Oh and the final sermon at the end was the best part of this movie in my opinion.

Binoche ..........is Simply Brilliant

Author: werefox08 from Australia
14 September 2012

Chocolat was nominated for 5 Academy Awards, and made a lot of money at the box office. The brilliant performance of Juliette Binoche has a lot to do with this movies success. She has the right look (a sort of Gypsy). Also she is a power of nature with attitude. She is in most scenes so her great acting was pivotal to the overall movie. The fact that she is sexy (very) is also a plus. Johnny Depp was the wrong choice to play the Irish Gypsy who is strongly attracted to Binoche. His performance is weak and does not hold a candle to the Binoche presence. The movie is O.K., using the good versus evil theme (which has been done before !!). There is a nice kind of magic about the use of chocolate as the central drug. Its a nice movie...and perhaps in the year 2000 lots of people liked nice movies. Who knows ?? Maybe this kind of nice movie may work to-day