IMDb > Chocolat (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Chocolat More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 50: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Great Movie

Author: K-Slicer from In A Confined Space
18 September 2001

This movie is not a chick flick. This is a movie for everybody. I never thought I would see it myself because guys were supposed to avoid it. If you aren't into movies that are actually worth watching, stay away from this. But, if your in the mood for a drama that has a sweet yet serious side to it, this is for you. I give it a 9 out of 10.

Charming beyond words

Author: Alan Deikman (Alan-40) from Fremont, CA
8 September 2001

Although it is hard to imagine that Vianne can get an entire chocolate factory in her suitcase, along with her mother's urn and all her clothes and everything else, this is what she does. Mary Poppins was nowhere near this resourceful. She sings few songs, but carries out her quest as a charming hobo, walking into town and establishing what amounts to a pre-franchise Starbucks.

Vianne alternates between being wise and helpless, and only fleetingly loses her own sense of missionary conviction. It is not effortless for her, because in helping her new friends find redemption, she must find it herself, even as she weaves her spells the witch hunters are never far off. And all of it in this story works. A must see.

A healing place

Author: Laura Craciun from Boston, Massachusetts
21 August 2001

Chocolat is for all types because of it's beautifully crafted scenes, script, score and actors. But, the real gem is the healing that takes place in front of the eyes of the audience. So many characters are healed from the restrictions of their upbringings and it's really beautiful to see. Even the most harmful characters to themselves and others are portrayed in a compassionate way. And the victims are shown their real strengths. The chocolate shop symbolizes a place where you don't need to be ashamed of who you really are deep down inside. The place where your true nature is allowed to be free like a bird or a gypsy. Johny Depp's song is a song the soul sings when it rejoices and plays. I loved this movie. On a personal note, the character who had an abusive husband was the most poignant. She shows battered women they can survive, escape, heal, triumph and help others. What a realistic portrayal!! You would think she actually survived something like that in real life!

Almost as magic as the book.

Author: StevieSun from Somerset, UK
17 April 2001

First all I have to say I followed this film from the time they filmed the party scene, because it was filmed here in Somerset. Really French!

I read the book last summer and the essence of the book is the magic. It's a fairy tale because of the magic, not just in the story but because of the story itself. I was worried that the magic would be lost when transfered to the screen. It wasn't. The whole film has kept the magical feel to it making this film a joy to watch. My only problem with the whole film (I can't believe I'm saying this), is a certain Mr. Depp. He sounded Irish but Roux wasn't Irish, or at least not that I remember. And Roux in the book had red hair. But despite that and the fact the large parts were missed out I loved this film. I have to add that the large parts missed out don't affect the story, unless you've read the book. I loved this film.

I have to just say, Judi Dench you were wonderful. And Hugh O'Conor, you were fantastic. Even in a skirt. I loved this film.

Did I remember to add I love this film. If you get the chance to watch this film do.

Know the madness . . .

Mmmmm Good. Love that Chocolat!

Author: MadBadMovieman from Surprise, AZ
14 April 2001

This was such a great Movie. MMMMMM Good. We loved that Chocolat! So very well acted. So very well narrated. The characters were so well developed and portrayed. The struggles in life and with death were are very deep and touching. Happy, angry, sad, and just plain enoyable experience to be had by watching this movie.

It deserved to be an Oscar contender for many nominations.

Would hesitate to see again, or again...

Beautiful movie to be watched on its own terms

Author: Andrew Werling (awerling)
1 April 2001

This gorgeous and moving film has been unfairly compared to "Like Water For Chocolate," which was a completely different movie with a very different story. "Chocolat," on its own terms, then: a simple folktale about a mother and daughter compelled by their family legacy to wander from town to town, sharing love (in this case, symbolized by chocolate with a special ingredient) and bringing hope to people. It's a film about freedom, about inclusiveness, about release. The sheer beauty of every aspect of the film had me in tears, and I bought the sound track immediately after leaving the theater. I had to let go of expecting the characters to have complicated motives; again, this is a simpler film than that. I could relate to it, and I'm certain I'm not the only one. The question is: how has each of us blindly followed what we called our destiny without scrutiny? How are we avoiding freedom? The answer is not always as obvious as we might expect.

Lets just be serious about the accents

Author: dohanlon_ie from Dublin, Ireland
28 March 2001

I loved this film and am sick of people dissing it because A. The accents are not authentic or B. cos it's not inn french! Who mentioned the fact that Quills was not in Frennch? Very few! It is important to note that the director of Chocolat wanted a mixture of accents to give the impression of differing identities. As for the language thinmg OK lets alol agree thast if ~Chocolat should be in French and be as authentic as possible the that other thing called Gladiator should be inn Latin and shouldn't feature an actor the sounds like he has just run in from the bush.... opppps I shouldn't even suggest that should I Gladiator was such accurate filmmaking a Crowe is such a fantastic actor.... and his rubber soled sandals.... from the Roman empire.... wher thay spoke LATIN!!!!

Deliciously Funny!

Author: v2hot4u01 from USA
27 March 2001

This movie is probably the best movie I have seen in about 5 years. This movie uses alot of comedy to represent a woman and her child spreading the taste of chocolate all over France. But the Mayor of this town thinks that chocolate is the taste of the devil. Your going to have to see this outstanding movie nominated for Best Picture to see the comediac ending of this film. Give a laugh or two and come see this film!!!

Pleasant, though a bit obvious.

Author: ppazniokas from Northern NJ
18 March 2001

A difficult film to dislike, it strikes a nice medium between drama and comedy - the kind of thing the French would have done very well. There's not much to it, but it's put together so charmingly and the actors do such a solid job, that you end up not minding that it spends perhaps a minute too long at the end spelling out what its lesson is. If you can forgive this little flaw, then it's a pleasant enough 2 hours.

The ensemble acting is wonderful (recognize the very scary dude from "Fargo"?), and Rachel Portman's music is perfect, as usual.

Of course, this is quite an airy souffle to be getting nominated as Best Picture, but - hey - that's the Academy for you.

A breath (North wind) of fresh air!

Author: bigdgun ( from Central California
14 March 2001

I have two real addictions in life...women and chocolate. Juliette Binoche is glorius. She is totally believable as a nomadic mother who dreams up the most delectable chocolate creations but can't keep her legs crossed. Lena Olin transforms a skittish kleptomaniac into a raving middle-aged beauty. And Judi Dench does what she does best...ACT! The young priest, Hugh O'Conor is wonderful to watch as he comes out of his shell. And Alfred Molina is the stodgiest of mayors. Johnny Depp is the only really weak link in the entire movie. He just kind of shows up and presents us with no real emotion at all. Oh, how I wish I could say more, but almost anything else would give away this delightful little farce. I laughed and I cried the whole time, often simultaneously.

My highest recommendation for a wonderful time is just to go see it. The small screen will never do justice to Chocolat.